EXETER COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Senior management is terrible
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Exeter14 February 2019
This is one of those workplaces that used to be wonderful, but has started to believe in its own hype and no one more so than senior management.

Strategic direction is something that is written for a glossy booklet and abandoned. Competitiveness and coming out on top overrides useful collaboration between departments. Whether your face fits and your agreeable overrides merit and skill.

Holiday entitlement is good, but you’ll want the break and the pay is pretty bad compared to other local employers.
Pros
Holiday
Cons
Compulsory ‘fun’
Worked to death
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Exeter College15 September 2018
Collegues are nice but management are shocking. No staff rest areas, it’s all about the students which is good but staff are treated as second rate.
The more you do the more they expect.
Pros
The students are great
Cons
Tight back to back lessons with no time to prepare
Typical Student Life
Student (Former Employee) –  Exeter16 April 2018
As a student at Exeter College, it was virtually the same as being a student throughout high school although there was more paperwork and you were allowed to explore off campus.
Pros
Off Campus Work
Cons
Long Hours
Over-worked, over-stretched staff
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Exeter17 January 2018
Jobs are often misrepresented, higher management provide little to no support or care and staff are expected to work outside the boundaries of their job description.
General team sense, however, are positive and cohesive. Most members are friendly and happy to help.
Pros
Great location and support from other team memebers
Cons
Detached, uncaring higher management
teaching assistant
Volunteer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter13 November 2017
Although it was a short volunteer experience in teaching assistant it allowed me to develop and improve self confidence in working with students. I found a good teacher and a friendly and professional environment.
Pros
opportunity to improve your skills
Cons
volunteer position
A great place to work
Customer service advisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon13 October 2017
I love working here. the job is varied, and challenging. you work of receptions and in an office so there is variety. no weekends and the whole of Christmas off!
Pros
no day is ever the same
Cons
low wages
Nice bunch of people but poor communication.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon11 September 2017
I feel like at the time I moved to Exeter college they were not ready to train me so I was left without minimum work to complete and no communication.
Pros
Flexible lunches and nice atmosphere
Cons
boring
Exeter college
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Exeter27 October 2016
I enjoyed working with my teem.
Me and my team worked hard to ensure that the day to day routines of the college were not disrupted which I feel we did to great effect
The hardest part of the job there wasn't one I had a great team this is very rear (thank you team)
Productive & friendly, lack hours though
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Oxford18 August 2016
Exeter College is a great institution to work at. The staff and students are very welcoming and friendly, and the work culture is great. Everyone wants to crack on and do as best as they can. Unfortunately, the hours are very limited so I don't work there much at all.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and environment
Cons
Short hours
Stimulating & professional place to work
Associate Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Exeter16 May 2016
I have worked as an associate lecturer for a number of years and can honestly say, it is the best educational establishment I have ever worked for.

Highly professional with a caring ethos for the students and employees.

It is no wonder that it is an outstanding college.
Pros
Great working colleagues and leadership team
Cons
Unable to secure a permanent contract
Productive and pro active area
Apprentice Gym Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter10 May 2016
A very nice lot of people to work with, as a fitness instructor i spent most of my tiome cleaning the gym but also gave inductions but that was during mainly September when everyone joins and beggining of janury. The lectures at the college were lovly to work with and very kind people.
Pros
Friendly enviroment, and very well presented enviroment.
Great fun friendly atmosphere
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Hele Road23 February 2016
Great fun friend atmosphere, I was on minimum wage and a temporary contract but apart from that they were everything you can ask for from an employer.
productive
Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ENG29 October 2015
the job involve being the voice of the student, my role was to put forward the students problems and make sure that they voices are heard, this involved going to weekly meeting with other student representative to discuss to current issues
Great team
Travel and Tourism Associate Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Exeter9 September 2015
The faculty I worked in was a great team of people. I had to hit the ground running with this position and the team were all very supportive. Great working environment,
Challenging and rewarding experience.
Learner Engagement Officer (Former Employee) –  Hele Road25 September 2014
Work was varied and always challenged my ability to prioritise tasks.
I learnt a lot about time and diary management and how to tackle disappointing scenarios outside of my control.
Management were fantastic but had to make some very difficult decisions that affected our working environment.
My colleagues were amazing, very supportive and willing to work together to achieve individual and group goals.
The hardest part of my Job was telling students we couldn't achieve certain goals they desired to achieve.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the family experience of the college.
Pros
Great benefits including huge software discounts.
Cons
potentially unstable job as the college has to absorb Government funding cuts.
Very goof
Exeter College (Current Employee) –  exeter11 February 2014
 Take instructions from tutors on menus
 Prepare ingredients
 Prepare working area
 Serve customers
 Assignments on different meal plans
 Assessments on meal plans
 Weekly waitress and bar work
Need to work in Engineering HE in FE closer to home
Lecturer / HE Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Exeter College14 January 2014
Since leaving the Royal Navy as a training and educational specialist I have been taking a part-time Cert Ed whilst working full time as an engineering lecturer and HE programme manager at Exeter College.
It's been a really good four years and I really enjoy my teaching but I live in Mary Tavy so I have a long commute in and out every day and I'm rather tired of it - UTC is much closer and in Plymouth where I would like to work.
I'm not looking for a senior managment role in education any more as I like my 10 weeks holiday a year and I really feel I'm 'giving back' as a lecturer my higher level of knowledge and skills to my students.
I have no adverse feelings towards Exeter College - they're a great team; it's just that I expect to have to work for another 10 - 12 years and I can't imagine putting up with the commute and its cost for the rest of my working life.
I have been closely watching UTC job adverts and reviews for some time and believe that it the ideal environment for me to deliver my teaching and learning expertise in a critical shortage area.
Pros
OFSTED Grade 1 Team
Cons
Long commute to work from Tavistock
High achievement levels.
Course manager and tutor (Former Employee) –  Exeter14 September 2012
Within Faculty operation management was good with sympathetic leadership. Staff were mutually supportive with genuine concern for student well being. Resources were at times limited and sometimes miss directed. Opportunities were available for professional development in a general way but difficult to access specific subject based skill enhancement.
Pros
dedicated and enthusiastic staff
Cons
pressured and specific results dominated ethos. support systems eroded over a period of time.