EXETER COLLEGE

EXETER COLLEGE Employee Reviews

The original learning support was really very good and supportive towards the students. When 2 faculties were amalgamated, the culture changed and any general students who had real support needs lost support almost over a few weeks. Only students with EHCPs continued to be fully supported. I left as the change was being implemented: I could see what was happening and did not agree with it.
Pros
Lots of support for high achieving students
Cons
Poor ethos and culture in FLS. Poorly led with little sympathy for support.
I've worked at the college as a full time lecturer for a number of years now. The department I work in is stressful and fast-paced, though can be rewarding. Recently the management (SLT) have started to lose the respect on their staff. Overtime has not been paid this year and training has been cut back. We have to fight for any decent CPD. The Senior Leadership Team continue to evolve and have become evermore inward facing. It is rare you see them out on the floor, especially on sites further away from the main Hele Road campus. I've really started to lose faith in the management and our reputation is taking a hit as a result. Limited communication with staff and parents alike during the recent lockdown, lack of progression opportunities and the removal of any overtime payments - having worked the hours. Our accommodation is bare bones with a very limited kitchen area for many staff. SLT remain focused on their own progression and are forever working with external schools and business, rather than looking after their own staff and sites. I will be looking to move on if this continues.
Pros
Deputies and my HoF are great. They have to put up with a lot of nonsense from above.
Cons
Lack of overtime pay (without warning), lack of progression, no respect from SLT
Overall staff lovely management complete joke no loyalty to staff more interested in targets and no concern over staff welfare Too many chiefs not enough staff
Very outdated working practices where mileage is not paid for visiting learners. You need to use a pool car based at the college, which could be further away than the site you are visiting.
Pros
Great people overall
Cons
Mileage not paid for visiting learners and employers, terrible communication, lack of support
- Unsupportive HoF in FLS = lots of brilliant, dedicated, experienced staff leaving - Facilities & accommodation don't support needs of learners in FLS - Colleagues are supportive and caring
Exeter College can be a tough place to work at times, with low pay, overwork and lack of resources sometimes being an issue. However, colleagues are kind and supportive, the students are interesting to work with and the jobs here are generally satisfying if you enjoy working with young people. There is usually a lot of paperwork to manage, so a high level of organisation and dedication to the role is required.
Loved working here. Loved the staff too. Lots of hard work but the rewards pay that off. Management for support staff were excellent. Would encourage anyone to apply if patient and love helping young people achieve.
Pros
Lots of training.
Cons
Can be very tiring
loved working for Exeter collage ...grate staff an team work ...good for getting food Qualifications a happy a fun place to be ..good pay ..ideal for mums with youngsters as term time
I would never recommend working for the Foundation department as management is extremely poor. I would recommend it fully for students but never to work directly with the management team they had. Unacceptable behavior from management. They have an amazingly hard working and dedicated team (that they are slowly losing) who are second to none and would work with again in a heart beat. Purely management that lets this workplace down.
It's one of the hardest jobs going. But the people are great. The purpose is great. You will never get paid enough for the work that you do. But its the sense of fulfilment that is priceless.
Productive and good first job to get the first skills in the hospitality industry. taught me the basics and was a good job to manage whilst juggling my A-levels as it was flexible around my hours.
You get run into the ground there no work life balance it’s all work and you get penalised if you don’t put in the extra work! you get penalised for being off sick, you get looked down soon as you have long term illnesses, there no understanding of mental health, and no support put in place! Managers word against yours and you never get believed anyway I wouldn’t work here again!!
Pros
Other staff members
Cons
Work to the ground
Part of the ethos for Exeter College is their strive to continually better themselves, this is only further supported by the management culture within the college itself.
I worked in Student Support and this used to be good place to work, but not any more. The old crew were lovely , buy most have now left or have been pushed out by the new management team who have a very different,clinical approach to working with Students. I would stay well clear.
Pros
The Students
Cons
everything else
This is one of those workplaces that used to be wonderful, but has started to believe in its own hype and no one more so than senior management. Strategic direction is something that is written for a glossy booklet and abandoned. Competitiveness and coming out on top overrides useful collaboration between departments. Whether your face fits and your agreeable overrides merit and skill. Holiday entitlement is good, but you’ll want the break and the pay is pretty bad compared to other local employers.
Pros
Holiday
Cons
Compulsory ‘fun’
Collegues are nice but management are shocking. No staff rest areas, it’s all about the students which is good but staff are treated as second rate. The more you do the more they expect.
Pros
The students are great
Cons
Tight back to back lessons with no time to prepare
My time in Exeter College gave me the chance to become more independent and the studies that I did provided me with more options in the future. The college itself is modern and a great place for further education.
As a student at Exeter College, it was virtually the same as being a student throughout high school although there was more paperwork and you were allowed to explore off campus.
Pros
Off Campus Work
Cons
Long Hours
Jobs are often misrepresented, higher management provide little to no support or care and staff are expected to work outside the boundaries of their job description. General team sense, however, are positive and cohesive. Most members are friendly and happy to help.
Pros
Great location and support from other team memebers
Cons
Detached, uncaring higher management
Although it was a short volunteer experience in teaching assistant it allowed me to develop and improve self confidence in working with students. I found a good teacher and a friendly and professional environment.
Pros
opportunity to improve your skills
Cons
volunteer position
I love working here. the job is varied, and challenging. you work of receptions and in an office so there is variety. no weekends and the whole of Christmas off!
Pros
no day is ever the same
Cons
low wages