Exclusive Hotels and Venues Employee Reviews

By far the Best
Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire23 July 2019
Sometimes the hours can be long, but I think this comes hand in hand working in Hospitality. No two days are the same and the staff are great to work with.

During my time with Exclusive Venues and Hotels I have seen my career progress massively, in the two years of employment I have had 2 promotions and am still learning new things everyday.

The Management Team for Exclusive are great, its a family owned company who take pride in all their properties, staff are rewarded quarterly for their efforts which helps to make a great team.

Although some days are harder than others the employees do pull together to make the hard ones that little bit easier. Its great to be able to come in and work with not only your colleagues but your friends.
Pros
Staff Rewards
Cons
Long Hours
Very good place to work
Graduate Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Ware, Hertfordshire23 July 2019
Lots of development with the company, they are more than happy to promote and train if you show that you were good, happened to me! Lots of hard work, but lots of benefits too with the company, of course working in hospitality means varied hours, but this doesn't bother me
Pros
Parking & Lunch
Cons
Unsociable hours may not appeal to all
Couldn't be Happier
Reservations Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex20 July 2019
After having a rough time with finding the job for me last year, I feel so lucky to be a part of the Exclusive team.
2018 really wasn't the best year for me in regards to jobs, I kept thinking I had found the perfect job and every time the disappointment got worse and worse and I was so unhappy.

Ever since I have been at South Lodge Hotel & Spa, I have been so happy and I feel extremely lucky and proud to be a part of this group.
I finally feel I have found the perfect job and I hope to be a part of the team for as long as I can.
Challenging place to work and high pressure
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sparsholt, Hampshire23 June 2019
I worked at Lainston House Hotel in Sparsholt, near Winchester during the Christmas holidays. It was my first job so I wasn't sure what to expect. I received no formal training for this job. This meant that on occasion I was chastised for not knowing what to do. I have common sense and initiative but I can't be expected to know exactly what to do on my first day. On one occasion a customer got irritated and somewhat aggressive towards me because of this. If you are applying for this job then come expecting that you will have to think on your feet and learn quickly.

The other staff were rude and I felt as if they looked down on me for being inexperienced when I had no way of getting experience as I had just turned 16. Often my colleagues would smoke just outside the kitchen area and I would be left to do jobs without them.

Management was good, I have nothing out of the ordinary to say about them.

A benefit of this job is working in such a stunning setting however it does feel overshadowed by how much I didn't enjoy this job.
Another benefit was we were given food during the breaks which was amazing because it was the food prepared for the weddings. Another benefit would be that you may get to see big companies' parties and car launches etc. Finally, the last benefit would be when customers are kind or respectful to us it makes a world of difference.

Another thing about this job which I expected was the way the customers treat the staff as if we're much lower class than them. I understand that this is because it's an upper-class hotel but it wasn't a pleasant experience
  more... to feel below customers.

A benefit to most of the Lainston House catering jobs are that you can be flexible with your hours so if you want to do more you can. There is an expectation that you do as much as you can having said that though.

My work mostly involved catering and serving for weddings, therefore, it's very high pressure. Just to let people who may be considering working there know: there was a girl slightly younger than me who felt so much pressure by the job that she couldn't stay. I think if you manage to work your way into the group of colleagues that are more inner circle and you don't mind the pressure it could be a good job.

A typical day would be I would arrive at either 5pm or 2pm depending on my hours. I would clock myself in and usually not know where to go. Sometimes it would be in the 'Barn' which is where the weddings and parties are usually held or sometimes I would have to go to a reception room. I'd then have to help out preparing the room for the guests which would involve getting chairs out, putting fabric on the chairs to make them look presentable, lighting candles, getting decorations ready, setting the tables, putting water on the tables. Then once the guests had arrived we would go to the reception room and serve them drinks and serve them canapes or appetizers. Occasionally the reception room would be too small and it would be claustrophobic and hard to navigate whilst holding champagne glasses on a tray. Then after potentially half an hour to an hour and a half later we would go back to the main room to get ready serving. There was a specific way that they like to serve the food so we all go round the table and make sure everyone is in their place and serve the food to the left or right and on my first day this wasn't explained to me properly so I messed it up. Another thing is that they want all the servers to serve the bread in a specific way as well. Finally, the last weird thing is that you have to serve water in one glass, white wine in another and red wine in another. Anyway, then we'd serve the food and we'd each be assigned a table to take care of and top up their drinks. Then after that, we'd usually have our break when the customers were eating their main course. Then between cheese and biscuits and dancing, we would have to polish the glasses which became a hatred of mine. So don't apply for this job if you're not prepared to be bored with polishing glasses. So we'd serve cheese, biscuits, tea and coffee which was one of the more relaxing parts of the job. Then there would be dancing which meant for us it was time to tidy up and clear glasses which was my favourite job because you just listen to the music and avoid polishing the glasses. Then I'd go home at either 11pm or Midnight. If you're over 18 then you'd be expected to stay until around 2-4am.

Overall, I would say that personally I didn't enjoy working there but I think the longer you work there the better it'll get because you'll know more of the colleagues and know what to expect. If you're looking for temporary Christmas work this would be good.
Pros
Bonus during NYE, casual hours, skills, nice scenery, free food, paid reasonably
Cons
Rude colleagues, rude and entitled customers, long hours, negative atmosphere amongst colleagues, no formal training
Amazing place to work
Graduate Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex17 June 2019
I started my journey with Exclusive by completing a one year food and beverage placement at South Lodge. After finishing university I applied for the two year graduate manager programme as I wanted to come back and work for Exclusive as is such a welcoming and friendly environment to work in. The graduate programme allows me to rotate across every department in the hotel learning all the different aspects of the business and also developing management skills. I also get exposure to senior team commercial and strategy meetings, head of department meeting and also training modules such as sales and marketing, finance, leadership and many more. I am halfway throw my programme and i absolutely love it, there is so much progression with this company and everyone is so friendly. I would definitely recommend working for Exclusive.
Pros
Meals on shift, uniform, friendly staff.
Productive and Helpful staff
Waiting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sparsholt11 June 2019
The staff were productive and helpful, and very friendly. There's a good program for new employees, and it's very hospitable to all staff members. Wages are good
Productive Work Place
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Winchester3 May 2019
Exclusive Hotels are wonderful to work for.
I only did 1 weeks worth of work experience so i don't know much about the place.
Staff were friendly and hardworking, the work load was good, there was never a lot of pressure on you if you weren't sure on what you were doing.
In learned a lot from my week of working at the hotel, it is very different to any other hotel in the way its presented and run.
For me personally the hardest part of my week was getting used to the way the service was run as its different to any other hotel i have worked in.
That was also a very enjoyable part of my experience, learning that not every place is the same and you learn something new everyday.
Pros
Lovely Staff
Cons
Long Hours
hardworking and occasionally stressful
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkshire26 March 2019
I leant a lot about the hospitality industry at royal Berkshire. the managers were always often helpful but could also be quite dismissive to personal problems. generally other staff were fine to work with and it was rare to have a big problem between fellow employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
unsociable, long hours
happy people
Pastry Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  england25 March 2019
amazing hotel to work ,, full of challenges , the most enjoyable part of my work it was when they have give me to make the chocolate showpiece for the easter
Supportive workplace with great benefits
Back Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hampshire28 February 2019
This is a welcoming company with an upbeat family-feel culture - people are keen to support and encourage you and all the departments cooperate well with each other.

I have been trained for my specific role as well as a general induction day to learn about the brand and trusted to work independently with support from my team. The work is varied and no two days are the same so you feel you are always learning.

At Exclusive you train at one property but there are opportunities to progress your career across all the properties. There's an employee recognition scheme for those who 'go the extra mile' and really strong teamwork to ensure guests have the best experience possible.

The company offers amazing benefits, online discount cards for major retailers, very generous rates for your family and friends for overnight stays and to eat and drink at the hotels, and a free meal during your working day, so altogether you feel rewarded for your work.
Pros
Amazing staff discounts and benefits, great people, free car-parking and meals
Great place to work!
Reservations Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  West Sussex28 February 2019
The staff make you feel comfortable with everyone you're around instantly, everyone here is extremely friendly. you get support every step of the way. The hours are not too long and free lunches are included. Would definitely recommend!!
Such a beautiful place of work
Revenue and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire28 February 2019
At Exclusive you are part of a family. I have felt welcome since day one. The property is so beautiful that its a pleasure to sell it to our clients. My manager cares about my work life balance and ensures that my hours are in line with my contract. We get great perks across the group and also with other companies too. I would recommend Exclusive to anyone in Hospitality or looking for a career in this industry. It really is a great company to work for.
Pros
Free car parking, Food providied whilst on duty, beautiful surroundings and great team
Cons
There are none
Good Place to Work
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire27 February 2019
I thoroughly enjoy working with Exclusive. My team are great and give so much support which is always helpful, and everyone gets on like a big family.
No two days are the same in this company, which means you always have the opportunity to learn something new.
The company is all about letting individuals realize their potential, and helping them grow to get the most out of them.
Pros
Uniform, Free Lunch, Flexible Hours, Good Management, Supportive Environment, Opportunity for Growth
Friendly, Supportive and all round great
Accounts Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire25 February 2019
Exclusive are a great company to work for. During my time here I have been given support which has allowed me to grow in my job role. I have always been made to feel welcome by all the Staff and together we feel like one big team.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free onsite Parking
Good Family Feel
Sales (Current Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire14 February 2019
Good place to work. Keen to develop staff through internal training. Staff benefits and uniform available as well as staff food on shift. Good team spirit and interdepartmental support.
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
No public transport there
Good
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Penarth26 January 2019
In charge of Cold Starter section which involved food preparation and creativity. I was the junior chef with responsible for Starters, Sauce and Vegetables. I was also part of the Front of House team which included Silver Service at all Hotel functions.
good tips nice customers.
bank staff (Former Employee) –  Lower Beeding, West Sussex17 January 2019
easy to work at as a casual worker. although hours can be long and tiring especially for waiting staff who are on their feet all day, management is ok and perks are good.
good team
kitchen porter (Current Employee) –  horshan16 October 2018
and a five star hotel and a good hotel to work in. I just want to leave because it is a bit far from the place where I live, I can not always get a ride to work. the hotel pays the sub-lunch plus lunch and dinner
Pros
free lunch
Cons
too far for me
Great team spirit and work lift balance
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Ascot, Berkshire9 October 2018
Great hotels to work, lots of staff benefits to you, strong communication at all levels of the business, constant training and development with courses available both internally and externally.

Constantly growing and developing the brand for the staff and always making sure Exclusive is a really happy place to be.
Pros
Uniform, meals on duty, service charge, staff perks, staff discount around all properties, progression to succeed
South Lodge, an Exclusive Hotel
Reception Supervisor/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex5 October 2018
Fantastic company to work for, South Lodge has a really helpful, friendly and approachable team who are always willing to help and develop staff.

I think one the best aspects of working for South Lodge has to be the people culture - you really do feel valued and part of a team.

Currently South Lodge is building a spa and this will be the cherry on the cake for the property!!
Pros
Staff Meals, Opportunities in Exclusive, sense of belonging

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Exclusive Hotels and Venues. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2