Evans Cycles Employee Reviews

Dont expect too much
Manager (Former Employee) –  South West13 November 2018
Paid little to do a lot of work with not a lot of gratitude.

Good for Temp job and some cheap Bike parts, just don't career this place.

Your Co-workers are usally the best thing going, they will make it worth the trip to work.
Just good discounts
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fulham Broadway Station9 May 2018
Worked in the fullham branch. Had very rude customers the shop was very small very hard to work around. The only benefit to work for evans is the store discount. Staff are over woked and under paid management was not very good at all
Pros
Good Staff discounts
Cons
No progress
friendly workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff31 October 2018
i enjoyed my time at evans cycles, it was a thoroughly enriching experience and helped me develop a lot of the skill i now use in day to day life, thoroughly reccomended
Great, fun place to work.
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  South West22 September 2018
With passionate, like minded people, Evans Cycles is a fun and exciting place to work and you can’t help but get swept along by people’s pass for the brand and industry.
Práce se super produkty a fajn lidmi
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Londýn, Canary Wharf23 September 2018
Typická práce v maloobchodě se zákazníky v cyklistickém obchodě.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex15 October 2017
Evans cycles is a good place to work because the work environment is very relaxed, management will help you as much as they can, the benefits you get are very good if you enjoy cycling.
Pros
purchasing goods, staff days out, good working environment
fun work
Bike Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire2 June 2018
was a bike mechanic and always enjoyed it. was relaxed most of the time and my colleagues were a laugh. was provided with lots of training and a few paid trips
A good retail environment to work within.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester20 December 2017
A big company with many benefits for its employees. You know what to expect, training is very good and the working hours flexible. The hardest part is learning about all of the products.
Pros
Instore discount.
Cons
Being able to learn about all of the products sold as there are thousands.
Working with friends
Ex-worker at Evans Cycles (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire14 April 2015
Working with friends and in the cycling industry are probably the only good things I have to say about Evans Cycles. Bonuses can be good if shared fairly by the manager. Staff price has got alot worse in the last few years. Staff moral can be really low. Probably down to the terrible pay and tight staffing budget. Dealing with the rudest of the general public is the hardest part of the job. Working up in the company is very hard if your not willing to kiss some higher management backside. Or if a friend is a manager then its pretty commonplace for the next in line at the store for promotion to be cast aside for the friend of the manager to take your place. The job is a perfect stop gap between uni seasons and maybe between jobs. But I would steer clear if you are wanting a career.
Pros
Make amazing friends
Cons
poor pay, bad management, barely any scope for progression, staff are treat unequally
An uninspiring place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London, ENG12 January 2016
Evans Cycles is not a very good place to work. The pay is poor (especially in London). The senior managers don't respect you and treat you like an idiot, and often talk to you in a very condescending manner. The people at head office don't particularly respect the store staff either.

The financial targets that are set each week are often very hard to hit, which often means the is not any bonus for the team (the manager will take 50% straight away). Evans Cycles don't seem to offer a permanent contract for new starters, even after the first 6 months, and will often only give 16-hour contracts and so there isn't a very strong sense of job security. It's only recently that they have started paying people properly - for the half-an-hour before and after the shop is open.

It's not all doom and gloom though, the staff discount is very good - but only when you have spare money from the poor pay packet each month!

Evans Cycles is a company that is clinching at all straws to be relevant within the retail sports market, and very slowly failing at that too. You get the feeling that no-one really wants to be there anymore.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor pay, unrealistic targets, poor management, lack of respect
Waste of time and liars
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley9 January 2014
I only worked a few shifts here in the Crawley store but for the short length of time it was horrible.
Being left on my own -- no proper training being given, management always disappearing.

Was lied to about my contract as on the website it states part time £13,000 - £15,000 to then be told its zero hours and less than the minimum pay per hour.
Pros
Could do as you pleased
Cons
No job security, staff couldn't be bothered and extremely foul mouthed
I haven for low moral
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham5 March 2017
Wages are the minimum they can get away with paying, some small bonus can be available but this is based on shop targets which while I was there dwingled as customers realised just how bad some of the customer service was.
Loads of customer complaints on a daily basis due to poor service.
The biggest problem seems to be the total lack of good management, and you see managers come and go regularly as the pay is so poor they take on inadicute "mangers" some with absalutely no managerial or retail experience! a recipe for disaster.
Moral in my store was at rock bottom when I left and a very negative toxic environment to work in, which I am told has got even worse since I left.

I would not advise working for Evans.
Pros
working with bikes
Cons
pay and poor management
Excellent place to learn customer service skills
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 September 2017
By far the best place to learn customer service and sales skills. You work within a team and there are a lot learn from the senior sales reps. The place is fun to work in and you meet with a lot of good and bad customers and you learn to adjust yourself accordingly.

The one thing i hate is, you work had and earn the company weekly targets of £30k, £40k, £50k and in return you get no thank you, no commission and no bonuses. Even bonuses are hidden and nobody knows exactly how much bonus a store gets and how much is shared amongst the staff. Its all hush hush between the managers.

Apart from the no bonus and no commission, its a great place to work and great place to learn a lot of skills that you can take with you forever, wherever you go.
Pros
learn sales and customer service skills
Cons
no bonus, no commission, greedy managers
Passionate people
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex1 September 2017
Very passionate people, struggling to find balance between local bike shop and corporate retailer
High standards expected across all areas but the management structure is quite soft, more motivational than threatening
Pros
Trade discount
Cons
Tight budgeting
Good interaction with customers, but the worst managed company I have ever worked for.
Shop Floor Worker (Current Employee) –  England10 January 2015
I work on the shop floor, and being paid to talk cycling is the only saving grace of this work, something I attempt with as much honesty as I am allowed...

I am yet to work for a company that has such neglectful and incompetent management.
I would dearly like to say this is only applicable to a certain type of manager - it is not, it is endemic throughout the whole company.
What is worse is more effort appears to be being put into nurturing and maintaining this "safe harbour", for self-seeking and incompetent managers, rather than properly addressing the serious issues that such poor managers create.

When this is added to very poor rates of pay, and the company's constant refusal to listen to its workforce, it's little wonder the company continues to walk towards its own doom..
Pros
Interacting withe the public.
Cons
Lots see review
Dynamic, modern and productive working environment
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  UK11 April 2016
No two days are the same in this fast-paced working environment. From dealing with all aspects of property management, liaising with local authorities, through to landlord and managing-agent liaison, also dealing with repairs and refurbishment across a 70-site portfolio.
Every day brings a new challenge, I am supported by a great team of health & safety, maintenance and helpdesk experts.
Most difficult part of the day is trying to leave the office at the end of the day, as there is always something interesting and important happening in the department! Most enjoyable part of the day is the all round satisfaction I get from knowing I have provided the best solutions and resolved issues in the most cost effective way.
A great company atmosphere
Email Producer (Current Employee) –  Crawley, ENG23 September 2015
I love working fro Evans. In the words of one Eddy Mercx, it is 'all about the bike'. They offer great benefits for cyclists. Unfortunately my head office role is too restricting to further my career without having to look elsewhere first.
Pros
Trade prices on all items sold by company
Horrible retail work.
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  UK.20 September 2016
Managers talk to you like you are an idiot. The area manager turns up and barks his orders at you like some impotent Hitler. Doesn't even say hello. but he is just a lap dog for the higher management who pay him to do their dirty work. Companies like chain reaction Cycles and wiggle make selling anything at full price impossible, so everyone wants a price match. You get talked to like cr#p by all the "wannabe" cyclists out there. Who are the classic example of "All the gear no idea" you are expected to know everything about bikes bit still get paid minimum wage. Don't bother. You will have no time to ride your own bike, and will have no soul left after a month.
Pros
Um?
Cons
See above.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Canary Wharf, UK26 February 2017
A very hands-on experience that requires a lot of hard work and enthusiasm in order to maintain a high level of customer service run by a very focussed and to-the-point management team. I enjoy talking to customers about the bicycles and their experiences. I have to say the hardest part is helping the more experiences bikers solve their technical issues with their bicycles but I am always up for a challenge which is the most important thing about the staff and management at Evan Cycles, we never give up!
Pros
Entertaning Staff
Cons
VERY rude cyclists / customers
productive and fun work place
WAREHOUSE OPERATIVE (Former Employee) –  crawley13 February 2014
a normal days work would include serving customers at a fast pace, keeping a smile on your face and keeping the surrounding ares clean.
i learned how to manage a cash float and handle cash.
the management was slightly sloppy but they kept the staff on their feet.
my co-workers were friendly and good at the jobs that they had to do on a day to day basis.
the hardest part of the job would be making sure that every customer gets served within 3 minutes of taking the order and making sure that they are a happy customer.
the most enjoyable part of the job would be interacting with the customers and creating friendly conversation while waiting for the meal to be ready.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
difficult hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Evans Cycles. Our community is ready to answer.