Essex County Council Employee Reviews

Local Government
Business Lead for Delivery Transitions (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex9 April 2018
A good place to work providing an excellent work life balance. ECC are a flexible employer. Location in Chelmsford City Centre is excellent.

A busy atmosphere in a local government environment, dealing with compliance, members of the public and Cabinet Members in any given day.
Pros
Local
Productive and Fun Workplace
Pensions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex22 March 2018
However, the salary was incredibly low.
Pros
Flexible Hours
A job you feel pride of
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow14 March 2018
We start off in the morning on the mini bus picking up our clients one by one. Escorting each client from their home by foot or by wheelchair safely to the mini bus. The more able bodied clients I safely secure their seatbelts to their seats on the bus. The wheelchair clients, I clamp their wheelchairs securely to the bus floor & secure their seatbelts to the seatbelt clamps. Then we transport the clients to thier day centres. In the afternoon we transport all our clients safely back to thier homes. A job well done.
Pros
Feel good, That you have helped the community
Cons
Icey conditions
Flexible employer
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford12 March 2018
Great flexible employer - good for when you have a family. Childcare vouchers available which makes things easier. Access to a reward hub which hosts various discounts at big stores
productive workplace
IS Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex1 March 2018
Working at Essex County Council provided an overall adequate environment in which I could learn and progress in. Work hours and lunches were standard to what was agreed upon, extra hours however were a grey area in regards to extra pay (overtime) and hard work was not necessary greeted with the expected response of a hard working employee.
varied work
Business Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 February 2018
I have learned many data entry skills onto client accounts, how to deal with confidential information on our clients. I have done various admin roles over the past 26 years within the Essex learning various aspects of social work roles and hospital discharges, providing care for people. It is a friendly office with good management.
A lovely place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford27 January 2018
*I didn't receive a salary as I was a volunteer.

Throughout my experience here, I found the people and general management to be kind people, who were patient when training me and when answering my questions.
Pros
The people and general management were lovely and encouraging
Cons
I was constantly second guessed throughout my entire time
Flexible but no advancement
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex22 January 2018
I have enjoyed my time working in Essex County Council. The flexible working has allowed me to be involved as much as I can in my children's life. Unfortunately I have become frustrated in the lack of development opportunities within the council.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Lack of Development
Good employer
Cashiers Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex9 January 2018
Effective role as team leader of up to 7 staff gave me supervisory responsibilities. Effective communicator and decision maker whilst occupying two different posts based on previous audit and payments experience gained,
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
location
Working for Essex was enjoyable
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  UK17 December 2017
I enjoyed working for Essex as the staff and management were very supportive. There were lots of opportunities to change teams and progress into management positions.
Pros
Excellent support
Cons
Cae loads very high
Working for Waste Disposal Authority
Waste Operations Monitoring Officer (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford4 December 2017
Holding a level 4TSH Continuing Competence Certificate until November 2019 gives me the confidence to monitor a contractors capability.
Having worked in the private sector in the past was a useful experience coming into local government.
Secure
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex30 November 2017
My typical day at work is on the phones talking to members of the public. I have learnt so many different things ranging from IT Skills to knowledge within different sectors that the council offer i.e. Social Care, Registrations and Schools. Within the office I work in I have very good line managers and operation manager who want the best for their employees and provide the office with a good attitude.
Safe secure job
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Basildon, Essex30 November 2017
Safe job management are OK get sent on paid courses supportive in work and home environment worked with them to over 15 years would recommend 1 problem is amount of holidays
Pros
Sick pay
Cons
Holidays
Voluntary work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford19 November 2017
This enabled me to showcase what I was working on at school in Design Technology and graphics - this was a valuable learning curve and a good introduction to my interests in digital creation.
Pros
Valuable experience
Diverse
Business Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford3 November 2017
I have worked at Essex County Council for 2, almost 3 years now. Having had a few different roles now in different departments, i can say that the styles of managing change dramatically throughout.
Transforming Organisation
Project Management Officer (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford3 November 2017
ECC is a transforming organisation where traditional practices have moved to flexible ways of working, ensuring positive work-life balance whilst still delivering statutory services.
In my current department, I have able to develop in my role from assisting in a project to leading the last 6 weeks of a project, as well as an APMP qualification.
It is a place where I can make positive differences to peoples' lives.
Pros
Mobile and flexible working
Short term contract
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  county wide30 October 2017
Was left alone to complete my duties with little or no interferance from my managers.
Did occasionally have to do night shifts( surfacing) which had its own local issues.
Pros
Free transport supplied
Cons
lots of driving./short term contract.
Friendly environment, bad salary
Corporate Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford25 September 2017
Enjoyed the majority of my time working with Essex County Council, but the salary was very low for the stress that the job put you through as you were expected to constantly meet targets that weren't achievable if you were to also give a quality service.
Public library work is challenging but fun and diverse, never boring
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Essex22 September 2017
I worked for Essex County Council for over fifteen years.
I got to work with all different types of members of the public.
I received excellent training and support and worked alongside very dedicated people.
Great opportunities to learn and be part of a team
Learning Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  South East Essex Uk12 September 2017
I have been very fortunate, that the companies and jobs I have worked within have been fantastic opportunities to learn and be apart of the work life balance ethos.

I have also worked with some fantastic people who spend most of their time making sure everyone is well informed and that job satisfaction is achieved for all.

Days were always rewarding, at times challenging.
It was good to see children learn and grow and become confident and able to take on new task with vi gar.

Sometimes the days run away with you and you cant always have enough time to finish everything you may have wanted to do.

I am a positive lady who loves her job and believes in a growth mind set attitude.