Essex County Council Employee Reviews

Business Support Senior Management a joke
Business Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex6 August 2018
Terrible culture of watching your a**e and making sure you can blame everyone else for their shortcomings. Unfortunately this starts at the top with the Head of BS (apt title) not having a clue then transfers to the Account Managers who do as little as possible - whilst fostering a culture of fear of losing your job.

Whatever you do - don't take a job in Business Support
Pros
good holidays
Cons
poor work culture
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  West essex29 July 2018
I worked for ECC for many years in social work. Good place to work. Colleagues helpful and supportive. Pay good. Good management structure. Staff rarely left. Supportive to students. Training opportunities good but could be improved on slightly.
Pros
Staff supportive. Good supervision. Management good. Felt valued
Cons
Parking. Otherwise none
Only temp' position
Statutory Assessment Service - SEN Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex18 July 2018
Don't think my review should really count as I am only on a temporary contract so do not get the benefits etc of a full time employee.
What I have seen has been 'ok'
Public sector
Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex16 July 2018
Flexible working, various different jobs available as well as part time and consolidated hours. Local to chelmsford city. Provide training and development
colleagues are good
Special Needs Transport Driver Community Link (Former Employee) –  Essex27 June 2018
really enjoy work that I carry out for Essex county council
love working with people an making a difference
early start to first shift
love driving
a lot of banter with work mates go out regular with girls
nice vehicle to drive
Pros
very good pension
Cons
split shift
Challenging but rewarding
Employer Pension Liaison Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex26 June 2018
Whilst working for ECC I learnt how to operate in a political environment, I met some lovely warm and engaging people which gave me the opportunity to network at all levels of the organisation.
I was working within the a school at primary infant agar
Perryfields infant school (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford11 June 2018
It was a great job to have whilst my children were young as I could work round them and there school I got to actually be in the playground with children and enjoyed this
Pros
Spending quality time with children
Cons
Job was right in the middle of the day so you was locked into the day
college
Engineering Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Essex1 June 2018
college Essex apprenticeship scheme learnt at college engineering and machining and did 2 blocks of 8 week work placements at glakso smithkline was a good experience
strong management
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex18 April 2018
the management i have received has been outstanding and there have been strong role models who are not afraid to fail and learn lessons. i have enjoyed being part of a variety of projects
Local Government
Business Lead for Delivery Transitions (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex9 April 2018
A good place to work providing an excellent work life balance. ECC are a flexible employer. Location in Chelmsford City Centre is excellent.

A busy atmosphere in a local government environment, dealing with compliance, members of the public and Cabinet Members in any given day.
Pros
Local
Cons

Want to know more about Essex County Council?

Ask a question
Productive and Fun Workplace
Pensions Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex22 March 2018
However, the salary was incredibly low.
Pros
Flexible Hours
A job you feel pride of
Passenger Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlow14 March 2018
We start off in the morning on the mini bus picking up our clients one by one. Escorting each client from their home by foot or by wheelchair safely to the mini bus. The more able bodied clients I safely secure their seatbelts to their seats on the bus. The wheelchair clients, I clamp their wheelchairs securely to the bus floor & secure their seatbelts to the seatbelt clamps. Then we transport the clients to thier day centres. In the afternoon we transport all our clients safely back to thier homes. A job well done.
Pros
Feel good, That you have helped the community
Cons
Icey conditions
Flexible employer
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford12 March 2018
Great flexible employer - good for when you have a family. Childcare vouchers available which makes things easier. Access to a reward hub which hosts various discounts at big stores
productive workplace
IS Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex1 March 2018
Working at Essex County Council provided an overall adequate environment in which I could learn and progress in. Work hours and lunches were standard to what was agreed upon, extra hours however were a grey area in regards to extra pay (overtime) and hard work was not necessary greeted with the expected response of a hard working employee.
varied work
Business Support Administrator (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex14 February 2018
I have learned many data entry skills onto client accounts, how to deal with confidential information on our clients. I have done various admin roles over the past 26 years within the Essex learning various aspects of social work roles and hospital discharges, providing care for people. It is a friendly office with good management.
A lovely place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford27 January 2018
*I didn't receive a salary as I was a volunteer.

Throughout my experience here, I found the people and general management to be kind people, who were patient when training me and when answering my questions.
Pros
The people and general management were lovely and encouraging
Cons
I was constantly second guessed throughout my entire time
Flexible but no advancement
Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex22 January 2018
I have enjoyed my time working in Essex County Council. The flexible working has allowed me to be involved as much as I can in my children's life. Unfortunately I have become frustrated in the lack of development opportunities within the council.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Lack of Development
Good employer
Cashiers Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex9 January 2018
Effective role as team leader of up to 7 staff gave me supervisory responsibilities. Effective communicator and decision maker whilst occupying two different posts based on previous audit and payments experience gained,
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
location
Working for Essex was enjoyable
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  UK17 December 2017
I enjoyed working for Essex as the staff and management were very supportive. There were lots of opportunities to change teams and progress into management positions.
Pros
Excellent support
Cons
Cae loads very high
Working for Waste Disposal Authority
Waste Operations Monitoring Officer (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford4 December 2017
Holding a level 4TSH Continuing Competence Certificate until November 2019 gives me the confidence to monitor a contractors capability.
Having worked in the private sector in the past was a useful experience coming into local government.