Ernest Jones

Ernest Jones Employee Reviews

United Kingdom119 reviews
Very enjoyable and rewarding workplace
Working at Ernest Jones is very enjoyable, educational and supportive if surrounded by the right people, as it is in most work places. It had great benefits, discounts and incentives for staff members. However I feel as though the higher levels of management did not support as much as they could have to smaller stores and seems to focus majority of energy towards larger and more profitable ones, the techniques and training was also very much 'Americanised' which I hope will change in future as there are better ways to interact with customers in the UK compared to overseas, also management need to understand the difference in working in larger and smaller stores and the different type of customers, so training can tailor towards that.
I enjoyed working at the jewellers because the products are lovely and of a high quality
The care shown for potential customers was excellent. Staff training was good and the staff very supportive.
Opportunities for promotion was limited but the attention to detail with displays and presentations was excellent. The shop is in a good location and many window shoppers would come in and purchase items. Time was taken to talk with customers .
Very relaxed and welcoming environment
Great, friendly environment. Kept the store smart, learned about sales as well as how to look after wealthy clients.

The workplace culture was relaxed, but vigilant due to the nature of the job.

The hardest part of the job was taking an unknown customer and turning them into a buyer, but on the contrary this was also the most enjoyable.
okay if you fit
loved it at first got a good commission and bonus but culture and management changed and commission stopped...no more bonus and same discount as customers could achieve. management wanted more and more and gave less and less. pressure is ridiculous.
productive and fun work place
Ernest Jones is a welcoming and fun work place that provides plenty of training opportunities and incentives, as well as commission. There are possibility to progress.
Professional, target driven with a fair reward package
A great place to work, that balance's hard work with an excellent reward package, no hesitation recommending this company and would jump at the chance to go back.
Poor Management, discriminatory
i was so excited to start work at Ernest Jones, the pay was really good and the job seemed so interesting, i enjoyed learning about diamonds and i think their training programme was so helpful and informative. However, i completely understand that having a dress code is important but personally i felt targeted by the way they approached me with this. Being mixed race my hair is not naturally straight yet i straightened it in which it would usually have soft waves, the manager did not pull me aside or talk to me out the back but instead said it in front of the whole store to hear and said 'put a brush through it or tie it up' in which was the first humiliating incident i encountered. Baring in mind that i had seen multiple workers with long hair down and one girl even had her hair the exact same way as mine. Furthermore, i was sat down with the supervisor who also made me talk to her in front of the whole store for customers to easily hear and told me my hair needed to be tied up. Along with this i was called 'vacant' 'unresponsive' and 'doesn't listen' when i asked for examples so i can learn from what i did and how to improve i was told 'just in general' by the manager. Along with this when i tried to explain how my hair was not naturally straight and that i am mixed she turned round and said she has curly hair, when her hair is infact dead straight and in no shape could be considered curly. In addition, i would hear my name being mentioned in conversations and then silence when i would come over, rude and aggressive tones of voice when i would just be waiting for someone to - more...
Rubbish pay and no incentive to meet targets
Don’t fully understand how retail works yet but couple of things baffle me, eg 2 weeks notice of rota but staff required to apply for full years holidays in January????
Commission of 1% paid October, November & December on limited lines only - I sell a watch at £2000, earn £20 commission, if item gets returned and refunded the colleague who does this gets their commission deducted by £20!!!!
Really it says it's self
Being told targets starts Ur day sell sell sell manager ex forses so treats you like an idiot while coming on to young girls .Two faced with really good hard workers as assistant. I will not talk further as I feel I don't need to .
Generally an alright company
Generally an alright company to work for with various benefits, rewards and the chance to further your knowledge of the trade with various training, tests and National Association of Goldsmiths (NAG) Jet 1 Certification.
Incredible Job
Working for Ernest Jones has been an incredible opportunity, I have learned so many new skills and in addition increased my passion for jewellery. EJ also built up my confidence in talking to customers, answering phone calls, the team are very supportive and will answer any questions you have. Being able to learn about watches and diamonds along with different metals and makes have helped me a lot
Unprofessional Management teams and little chance to advance
Selling jewellery and certain watches based on training level (which they hold you back on). Maintaining jewellery windows and general store cleanliness. Trying to work with others to meet sales targets but often difficult due to the competitive nature of the staff. Worked in two branches, both management teams were highly unprofessional and need retraining on how to properly manage staff and treat them as people, which is probably why staff turnover is so high.

Enjoyed meeting some people and some training provided, moved onto Fraser Hart, where I am much happier.
Excellent
was given a 4 day induction to learn basics, shown how to do things around the store, helpful and friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, everyday has always been enjoyable
Pros
incentives on various brands
Cons
none as yet
good
At Ernest Jones, I worked as a part-time sales associate. Throughout my time, I was trained on how to sell high-end jewellery and how to handle a variety of customers. The duties that were given to me include being the face of the stores as I had to greet all customers and engage with them appropriately, learn how to talk about what I was selling in a manner that made the products stand out and to deliver adequate knowledge I regards to the products so that the customer had enough information to make an appropriate decision. Throughout my time, I gained knowledge of the different movements of watches and the variation of diamonds. I have been complimented on several occasions by my customers on the way I present myself to them and the way I make the experience at Ernest Jones MK more enjoyable and relaxed.
Management bullies, too much pressure
The management at the store were the main reason I left, especially the office administrator/supervisor. They used to make fun of staff behind their backs (but in front of other staff) making it uncomfortable as you just knew they’d do the same to you as soon as you left the room.
Mystery shops also a huge pressure and the manager threatened I’d lose my job on numerous occasions if I ever got a bad mystery shop. Terrible place to work.
Meeting new people
Good place to work for, enjoyed the company of the people i worked with. Only downfall is i think you deserve more money for the job role. Helped me gain good Customer service skills
very good
Currently working for Ernest Jones.
Good company to work for

I've learnt a lot about diamonds and how to sale them

very professional

every one gets on well
I love my job at Ernest Jones it’s so interesting and genuinely fun.
I have learned so much about jewellery and watches while working here!

I would definitely recommend Ernest Jones as an employer
Okay team very poor management
Awful management to work for in store upwards, very pressure oriented, can’t do right for wrong. Get better pay in Tesco which you wouldn’t expect for a high end store. Products profit margin is huge so no excuse. Make constant hour cuts/overtime cuts. Don’t get paid for extra work you do. Management very very lazy. Overall avoid!
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management team, hours, location, area managers, uniform policy
No progression and low hour contracts
Easy job but lowest paid jewellers on the high street who only offer low hour contracts. Hard to progress. Full of empty promises and no appreciation.
great place to work with the right MANAGEMENT
great company to work for under the correct management team..always recognised for your performance from district management .lwould recommend future retail employees to experience signet working ethics to understand the importance of being the best
Pros
fantastic training
Cons
to many cross overs of MANAGEMENT
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ernest Jones. Our community is ready to answer.