Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom32 reviews
Stressful NHS environment
Stressful and demanding place to work but with good training and innovative ways of working,
Learned a lot and encouraged to advance.

Good team work within individual departments.

Communication was key but not always easy to achieve well particularly across different departments and sites.
Don’t be fooled!
Terrible place to work. No support from management, expected to take blood from infected patients with no PPE. Have to pay for your own summer uniform. Management do not follow up staff complaints, bullying not taken seriously. No provisions for parking when returning from the community. Rota not done fairly and only done on a day to day basis. Expected to work over your time and no regard for breaks etc
Desaster
It was nice working at sant helier when the nhs were there but after a private company took over ...it is a mess
Horrible management and don't care for people
Not a good place to work even as a locum
I have worked there for a period to realize that it is a service driven hospital which is barely getting by. The general environment is demoralising and the rates are not even competitive. As a registrar they will pay you 50£/hr and you will notice that most nurse practitioners from agencies would be getting about 42-45£/HR. So, in all honesty avoid at all costs.
worst manager I have ever worked for
worked here for a few years. Used to be a great job, until the new manager took over about a year ago. TOXIC is not the word!! Manager has no people skills at all, rude, ignorant, a bully and doesn't even listen! Managers working alongside are just rude puppets. Always having to take lunch late into the shift. Controllers bully you into taking work past your finish time. HR are totally unsupportive.
excellent place to work
love working there
fast pace

motivational team

love to work in the A& E and AMU

management is great

effective and diligent team

working culture is superb
This is by far the most toxin environment to work in pts driver
Been at this job a couple of years now and it’s slowly got worse. Your treated like a dog at this place . Unrealistic work load on every shift and when you raise it with Controllers you will be bullied by them to do the jobs with the phrase (are you refusing to do the job) or just have the phone put down on you. We have the worst contract manager here by far rude is an understatement no experience in the role
Don't work here you've been warned!
I worked out of here from 2017-2018 and I would NOT recommend this role or similar to anyone. I worked as a PTS ambulance driver closely working with management and controllers.
The place is a total shambles, no interest in you from management, you are just a number. Pay issues every month, never seemed to get your money correct, expect you to undertake certain training which is pass or fail that isn't even under your job description as you aren't a fully trained paramedic!PTS
Opportunity to learn
Stressful environment. Enjoyed working within the team. Opportunity to gain experience within a variety of specialities but under very tight time constraints.
Bullying
If it is human nature to be competitive, then bullying is a tool to sort out the hierarchial pecking order.

It is a sub conscious top-dog, that you should be aware of throughout your life.

Human beings, no matter how accomplished, clever, or civilised will always shows more opaque traits of narcissism, with pepperings of socio, and psychopathic thought processes when given absolute power, and authority.

Bullying is human.

Learn to fight, learn to struggle,

or learn to absorb the misery.

Sorry, but the meek, and mild have always suffered.
Pros
Unknown
Cons
Unknown
Good working environment
• My duties were to support the smooth running and operation of the Information Services (IS) helpdesk by maintaining a quality customer interface between the various IS Teams and the department’s customers Trust-wide.
• My main responsibilities were to train doctors and secretaries on digital hardware and software. My duties were to install the software on their computer, and provide software and hardware training and resolving any problems and escalations thereon.

• I answered incoming calls and logged them with accuracy whilst ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction

• Assisted a variety of administration duties ranging from duties on the IS help desk, reception duties; accepting equipment deliveries through processing new user and project mandate forms.

• Liaised with local doctors’ surgeries and introduce them to the new system of sending discharge letters electronically and conducted a test run.
Weak management
Managers often have their favourites who are encouraged and praised but the reliable hard workers are ignored and taken for granted.
One rule for all is definitely NOT the culture here and unless you can keep yourself motivated the environment is difficult.

No support for training or progression unless it’s the “tick box” mandatory training which is forced upon you at short notice and at peak busy times.

Appraisals are a “copy and paste from your former colleague “ excercise and moral is low within teams.

Managers are unapproachable (unless you are a favourite) and this can leave you feeling deflated.

The trust relies on good will. Meetings are negative and although we all desperately try our best, this goes unnoticed.

Blatant favouritism is rife within the department and this causes friction.

High turnaround of staff due to bad management and only staff who know how to play the system seem happy here.

Weaker staff members are bullied and HR do nothing.

Stress levels are high and moral is low.
Pros
Good pension
Cons
Negative environment and blatant favouritism
Awful Management/HR teams
This place has terrible management skills. The culture is negative and it really is 'who you know' in this place.
HR is not supportive at all and do not deal with complaints or support staff, this place is the most unprofessional place I have ever worked in. This place lacks professionalism and I have experienced many staff members being bullied in this place by management with HR not intervening in such serious matters, and as a result the turnover is very high. I would not recommend this place, it has a very long way to go.
Pros
Pay is okay
Cons
Management is terrible, HR is unhelpful and slow, lack of professionalism, lack of support, staff over worked
Unsupported, it’s who you know & not what you know!
right from the start it has be a joke, HR failed on numerous occasions, my line manger very unsupportive, and the whole hospital is a data entry unprofessional mess.
Pressured to leave because of my disability,

I became embarrassed to say I actually worked for the trust and because of this left.
Pros
Made some nice friends
Cons
Under staffed, no managerial support
Hospital doctor
Hospital focus mainly on service provision. Little regard for training and development opportunities. Lack of resources. However, colleagues were great and generally very supportive.
Not a nice place to work
I took a job here few months ago with a very positive attitude but soon that has changed. I feel this place lack development opertunities and management is awful.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Over worked under staffed
Lively place to work
This hospital is located in the heart of Surrey with diverse and dynamic staff. It facilitates excellent care to its catchment area with lots of acute advance treatments.
keep progressing for a bright future
Working has always ben a big part of my life. I started working when I was 16 and worked part time and full time in different places. A typical day at work for me would be arriving on time, confirming with the management where they would like to place me due to the fact that I'm a fast learner so after two months within the place I'm capable of doing several jobs at the same time.

I would provide great customer service leaving customers happy and satisfied with my service. I would help my colleagues if I can see they are in need of help and I enjoy working as a team to progress and help the business of the company grow.

When starting a new job i insure to ask a lot of questions to avoid making mistakes and follow correct procedures. I have clear understanding of basic health and safety rules and data protection.
Pros
gaining knowledge
Cons
I enjoyed working at NHS because of the versatile experiences and opportunities that were available.
At NHS Epsom and Helier, I gained so much great skills whilst working there and the people were so friendly and supportive. The management was excellent and well organised and had willingness to encourage and push staff to achieve and aim high in their work. There were opportunities for training without hindrance.
The hardest part of the job was night duties during observation and transferring patients to long wards. The most enjoyable part of the job, my job was rewarded greatly by providing adequate training and I obtained my NVQ Level whilst working there and my working hours was very flexible.
good management
Most times of working in the ward have its own challenging. It gives the opportunity to handle and succeed in the midst of pressure at work but never scared me away in providing care to clients or patients in need of it.
Severely understaffed, negative atmosphere
I started at Epsom hospital few months ago with lots of energy but feeling drained already. My line manager doesn't have much time to see me or to support me, my new colleagues are busy doing their things. There is a lot of negative attitude that spreads quickly and is not healthy. Working here is very stressful.
Pros
Some colleagues are nice, you gain experience of working for a large organisation
Cons
Severely understaffed in alll departments, stressful, not enough support for new starters
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8