Enable Scotland
Coronavirus update

Enable Scotland Employee Reviews

United Kingdom142 reviews
Featured review
Enable Scotland selected this as a representative review
Being new to care I had no idea what a great job it could be when starting with enable a little over 5 years ago as a Personal Assistant. I got to work with some really good individuals over the years and have always felt my ideas were appreciated at Reviews and Team Meetings. Through guidance and support from my managers over the years I developed my skills and became a Team Facilitator myself. Working alongside some amazing people over the years and with great training and support from the local team I cannot fault them.
Pros
Great Development Opportunities, Training and working alongside amazing people
Cons
Allot of lone working and traveling but it all depends on the services.
19 August 2020
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I know everyone here at ENABLE Scotland really appreciates it. And it sounds like you're part of a great team!
Currently a personal assistant within north Lanarkshire for 6years +
Thoroughly enjoy my job

Extensive training given

Great company to work for lots of progression opportunities such as SVQ and management

Support from team facilitators is exceptional always on hand and checking in on their staff.

Flexible working hours ideal for family life

Pros
Flexible working hours, training, career progression
Started working for Enable during lock down which had its challenges as I wasn't in the office to shadow other team faciliator's but felt supported by my co-works and managers who ensured I was comfortable working under a new frame work. Work life balance is fair considering the sector we are in. Enable training for staff is the best I've had the pleasure of working along with. Overall happy with the decision I made to join Enable.
Great company to work for. Provided me with great career opportunities and offered progression. Good amount of training offered. Work culture is great.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Work/life balance
I am proud to work for a company that is so focussed on delivering its mission of creating an equal society. Even when times are hard, I feel supported and motivated to do the right thing for our frontline staff and those we are here to support.
Pros
Good development opportunities
8 October 2020
Thanks for your review - and it's great to hear of your pride in working for ENABLE Scotland!
Awful company to work for. If you want to do every shift going and your face fits this is the job for you. Some nice staff but ones there that will stab you in the back as soon as look at you. Will not be flexible with rotas
Pros
Service users some nice staff
Cons
Underpaid overworked and unhelpful
29 September 2020
Many thanks for your review – we do appreciate all feedback, positive or otherwise.

It’s important to our team that everyone takes their fair share of less popular shifts; we can’t always be flexible, but we do try. And we always offer overtime to existing team members first - we know many appreciate the opportunity – but understand not everyone will want extra hours. By providing every member of staff with a mobile phone we hope that people really can ‘switch off’ at the end of the day.
Great to work in an organisation where you know you are making a positive difference to other people. Fast paced work that keeps you motivated and great sense of job satisfaction.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Fast paced
29 September 2020
Thanks for your review - we're glad to hear that your job gives you satisfaction and a feeling of making a difference!
Amazing people to work with both from a staff and supported people perspective. The bespoke support ethos is first class. However, a real lack of consistency at senior levels of the business lead to 'knee-jerk' decisions being made without due consideration. Directorate level seem unaware of poor SMT decision making. A blame culture is prevalent also.
Pros
Amazing people to work with all round
Cons
Lacks consistent SMT leadership. Too many knee-jerk management decisions.
9 September 2020
We are really delighted to hear your comments about our personalised, self-directed model of support and the passionate team that delivers it. The directorate has a strong focus on leadership and is therefore understandably concerned about your experience of decision making. If you could get in touch via feedback@enable.org.uk to talk to us more we’d really appreciate it.
I have worked with ENABLE Scotland for almost 8 years. The role is very demanding, but it is rewarding. There is opportunity for progression, my colleagues are fantastic, the pay is fair, and the management are supportive.
Pros
It is an organisation with a real sense of purpose.
Cons
It is very busy, and the hours can be long - although you get back what you put in
7 September 2020
It's great to hear from someone supporting the frontline teams - thanks for your review! Your honest feedback re your role is appreciated – we’re looking at a range of options, including further use of digital technology, to make life easier for our team.
The mangers were helpful and understanding and the best bit was the job was rewarding. I enjoyed every minute of working with Enable Scotland and within care industry.
31 August 2020
Thanks so much for your comments - it was great to hear that you felt supported by your managers, they'll be proud. Best of luck in your new role!
I have worked for enable for a long time. Be prepared to be inundated with calls to cover shifts with TF’s lying to get you to cover ( seem to forget we communicate with each other ) . Some of their practices are questionable to say the least. There is a definite clique between management so if your face doesn’t fit or you dare say something they don’t like then be prepared to get all the worst shifts going. You never know your shifts until a day or so before the rota begins if your lucky, but if you want time off you have to give them weeks and weeks in advance. There is not much support from management to pa’s as long as the shifts are covered that’s all that matters. If I knew then what I know now I’d say there are many other more professional companies to work for out there.
Pros
The people we support and making a difference
Cons
Lies told by management to get you to cover shifts
29 September 2020
Thank you for giving your feedback. Obviously, we’re concerned about the points you raised, and we asked Laura, the area’s Regional Manager, for her thoughts:

“I’d like to reassure you that all of the management team care very much about both the quality of care and support we provide and the wellbeing of our team that deliver that support.

Our new rota system allows us to carefully monitor who gets which shifts, and how long in advance rotas are made available. Whilst we’ve not seen the issues mentioned, we will continue to check that shifts are allocated fairly and ensure people can take time off when they need it.”

There’s no pressure to do so, but if you could provide us with more information via feedback@enable.org.uk then we would be able to look into your specific issue.
I've recently started as a Team Facilitator and everyone has been so helpful and welcoming. The work life balance might be better in other jobs but this is standard in the sector. Enable has been the best organisation I've come across for being considerate about this e.g. managers check that you've taken the time somewhere else and the server is updated on Fridays at 6pm so you have to log off for the weekend. I also find that they are very supportive of staff, often going over and above to accommodate their needs. Overall, I'm definitely glad I made the jump!
Pros
Friendly colleagues, flexible management
Cons
PA Training could be better
29 September 2020
Thanks for your review – we’re so glad you’re enjoying your job! And we’re definitely thinking about PA training because things have become a lot more tricky due to COVID-19 restrictions on face to face meetings.
I have been a part of Enable Scotland for a few years now and have been lucky to have been part of a good team in one area and progressed through the management structure in another area, whilst expanding my knowledge of various LD and MH diagnoses. I have worked with fantastic staff members and the PWS are second to none. Enable have great values, deliver person centred care and provide additional learning opportunities.
Pros
Career progression, Pws
Cons
Long hours sometimes, salary
31 August 2020
It was great to hear from you, as a manager, and particularly about how you've progressed in your role and expanded your knowledge and skills. And you're right, the people we support (PWS) are the amazing!
In my professional opinion of Enable Scotland, I feel that the company does a fantastic job of supporting the lives of vulnerable people.

I would definitely recommend Enable Scotland as a company to apply for, if you are wanting to make a difference or learn new skills and experience new challenges.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
N/a
31 August 2020
It was kind of you to leave your comments - thank you - and we're especially pleased to see your recommendation of ENABLE Scotland as a great organisation to work for!
I have been employed with ENABLE Scotland for many years. The organisation is led by core values; advocating and improving the lives of others. Social care is a challenging sector, especially in current times, but at ENABLE the decisions are about delivering great quality services and great outcomes for the people that we support
Pros
Great career opportunities and qualifications to meet SSSC conditions.
31 August 2020
It's great to hear from someone who's been working at ENABLE Scotland for many years - thanks for commenting. And its great to hear that you feel that we offer great career opportunities and training!
Fun fast-paced work environment with amazing colleagues, supporting fantastic staff and services.
Staff work incredibly hard to support the services. Service Managers and Team Facilitators in Aberdeen and Moray are wonderful to work alongside, and have a great understanding of the services they support. Managers regularly work alongside the frontline staff, on shift and to develop service plans. TF and managers are incredibly dedicated to their role, and work tirelessly to support their staff and services.

Everyone has dealt with lockdown really well, and HO have been very supportive throughout, rising to the challenge in an already complicated and challenging sector.

The personal assistants have faced a lot of challenges but have really rallied through, and the positive impact on the people they support is very rewarding to see.

Plenty of opportunities to get involved with, from developing new services to working directly with the people we support. HO are open to new systems and processes, and have adapted to many office staff working from home really well.
Pros
Working from home during lockdown, being able to do support work, lots of variety in day to day tasks
Cons
Office location could be slightly better, but works well for reaching both city & shire
4 September 2020
Thanks for your review - it's great to hear from so many different roles in ENABLE Scotland. And it's also really important to hear your experiences of how everyone has pulled together over the COVID-19 lockdown: it's not been an easy time for social care but as you say, the team has 'really rallied through'!
I have worked for Enable Scotland since 2011 and have had the opportunity to accept lots of development opportunities in that time. This has allowed me to grow and develop quickly whilst achieving career progression. It's a hard job at times, which is fast paced and comes with its frustrations, however I would much rather work in a job that challenges me than one that is the same day in and day out. . Every day I feel like I am contributing to the people we support having a better life and receiving the best support they can, which is why I work in the social care sector in the first place.
Pros
development opportunities are plentiful if you are keen to grow and develop.
Cons
the systems arent the greatest, but there is a commitment to making it better
2 September 2020
"I would much rather work in a job that challenges me than one that is the same day in and day out" - that sums up exactly what we think about working in social care! Thanks for taking the time to comment, and we appreciate the honesty about the systems needing refined - we're working on it.
I have worked in the care industry for 18 years in many different care environments and roles. I can honestly say that Enable are a great company to work for. They have the people they support at the forefront of everything they do. No matter what position you are in you are made to feel valued and respected. This is something that I have not always found in other care organisations. They are way ahead of other care providers with their IT technology for staff and the people we support allowing everyone to stay connected and have their say.

Although my job is fast passed I feel that this gives me a challenge and the days pass very quickly. I have always had support from my colleagues and senior management and never felt like I could ask for help.

I have only been with the organisation a short time but there have already been opportunities for development and growth and feel that this is something that they are keen for staff to pursue.
Pros
Opportunities to Develop
2 September 2020
It was great to hear that you feel supported, valued and respected – and that our investment in IT is making things easier. As you say, the people we support at the forefront of everything we do. But we can only give them the support they choose if we employ the best staff and treat them well.
Very supporting during their on-boarding process and I immediately felt part of the team. The workload is high but this is common for my sector and hopefully we will find a better way to function on a long-term period.
Pros
Good salary and excellent colleagues
Cons
Work-life balance needs to be reviews
31 August 2020
Thanks for your comments - its important that you feel supported and part of a team. And we hear your points about work-life balance in the social care sector; it's something we're looking to address.
Fast paced, good support from SM & RM. Challenges your work ethics, thinking out the box, never a dull moment. Understanding, many different aspects to learn form the services to systems, rota's and payroll etc.
Pros
The support to manage and learn new things
Cons
Developing a good work balance as new to the role
19 August 2020
It was great to see your comments - and your recognition of the support our Service Managers and Regional Manager provide. We're investing in new systems that to make your our team's lives easier - so all that learning will hopefully pay off!