Emmaus UK Employee Reviews

bad place to work slave labour
driver (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands16 July 2018
they pay £1 per hour and give you 50 a week back from your housing benefit they claim on your behalf.
they get from 15 'slaves' based at the old Vic Coventry £133,000 a year and they call it a charity. they get their food for nothing from Cosco, wholesalers daily, and its their out of date food.
They get your housing benefit to pay their wages.
Its called a charity but only to avoid tax and Vat. they get peoples old furniture to sell and the shop makes £1000 a day.
Pros
nil
Cons
all bad
Productive and fun place to be
Organiser (Current Employee) –  Neath18 March 2018
A typical day at work for me was to go in make myself a drink and then clean the shelves and serve customers. I learned how to work the till and throughout working there I learned money and customer service. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a mix up on deliveries and trying to make sure all deliveries were corrected.
Pros
New experiences
Fun workplace
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Hull11 March 2018
Had a good experience working for emmaus its mainly for homeless but you can go and volunteer there to help them they need help you can also donate unwanted stuff to help them
Pros
Good manager
Fun
Furniture restoration (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 February 2018
It is a very nice and relaxing place to work. Everyone is nice, polite and very respectful and you get on with everyone. There is always work to do and you never get bored.
Pros
Free lunch, break whenever you want
Cons
Some customers can get very rude
ok
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Kent23 January 2018
good job sometimes hard work,worked with some good people and very rewarding working with the homeless.enjoyed my time there but after a couple of years needed a new challenge.
Friendly work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire17 January 2018
It has a good work atmosphere with lots of friendly people and I was made to feel useful. As a volunteer my hours were extremely flexible. Overall it was enjoyable.
Lovely place
Retail (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend2 January 2018
Lovely place. Friendly staff always got things to be doing and if I needed a break they would let me or if I had to go home early they would let me showed me where everything is like lockers and toilets
Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire7 October 2017
I am current working for Enmaus charity shop for homeless and started as a homeless myself. My duty is to collect and deliver goods in a 3.5 tn van. My job is to make sure that the goods are loaded safely and arive safe and in time.
Pros
Prepared lunch
Cons
Long hours but not night hours or sundays
Good work ethics
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex4 September 2017
Very busy week, working between 8am and 6pm 6 days a week (Sunday as rest day). As accommodation is paid for salary is quite low about £40 a week. Learned a lot and the most difficult part of the job was having to eat around the same table as like 20 other people.
Pros
Free meals and accomodation
Cons
Long hours and difficult to get accepted.
fun and long
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester23 July 2017
the typical day starts at 6 am and doesn't stop till two and it is also fun to learn new things everyday in the workplace and I can also adapt to what I need to do and what I want to do
very sociable place
Warehouse Operative and Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent4 January 2017
i was working with a good bunch of lads in the same position as me. I could work on my own iniative and within a team. The tasks were fairly easy as i could do most of the tasks. I enjoyed deleveries and dealing with customers. Very productive work place.
Nice place to work , like one big family
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Sheffield3 June 2016
Really enjoyed working at Emmaus , the best part of the job was helping people with issues such as alcohol, drug , homelessness. I also worked in the office and shop which was a lovely place to be part of
Pros
Helping people
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Winchester8 January 2014
worked as volunteer in warehouse, shop floor duties, dealing with general public,
helping the downtrodden
companion (Former Employee) –  cambridge6 September 2013
Interesting helping people from all walks of life, especially those that have suffered great personal pain or loss.
Pros
Every found no worries about bill, accomodation or bills
Cons
Too many "chiefs and not enough indians