EF Education First
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

EF Education First Employee Reviews

United Kingdom98 reviews
Working at EF opened so many doors for me and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to make that first career step.
BUT

My weekday started at 8:15 sharp and finished at 17:00. I then went home, planned lessons for the next day then had an hour to relax. This wouldn’t be too bad if teachers weren’t forced to also work 9am until 9:30pm on one weekend day. I only had one day off a week. The students were amazing, but this was a ridiculous lot of work when combing with lesson plans and marking.
I'd spent a year working for EF when they cancelled my contract with four days notice and no explanation. We all deserve better companies than this...
I have been part of a multi-lingual, conscientious, motivated team. Every day presented different challenges involving using all my communication, management, creative, empathetic skills.
I really enjoyed the challenge.
La parte più difficile è quella di riuscire a mantenere un basso livello di stress avendo poco tempo libero a disposizione per rilassarsi.
La parte più piacevole è l'internazionalità dell'ambiente lavorativo, il doversi misurare con i ragazzi da una parte e lo staff dall'altra, dinamica interessante e senza dubbio molto stimolante.
Had my first teaching gig in EF Oxford over a summer.

Great school to start out with. Fast pace environment and learned well on my feet.

Cost of living in Oxford is high for part time but full time was available.

Would like to return some day.
6 April 2020
Thank you for your feedback and we look forward welcoming you back to EF one day! Best regards
they won't promote you unless you are Swedish, very poor culture in terms of employee perks and training. Promotions are non-existent and they would never take care of individuals if the business goes wrong. I would not recommend it at all
6 April 2020
Thank you for your comments. EF does not tolerate harassment of any kind in the workplace. If you feel that you have been a victim of harassment, please contact our compliance team at compliance@ef.com so that a fair and thorough investigation can take place. Best regards
Working for Education First was enjoyable, especially at St Pancreas. It wasn’t often too difficult but I would have preferred working with others sometimes and not alone as I was new to it.
24 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with EF. Wish you all the best for 2020!
Worked at EF for more than seven years and it was an amazing place to build my career. If you want to be immersed in a multicultural environment, if you are flexible and passionate about languages & travel and if you share the mission of opening the world through education then you are sure to find this company a great one!
24 March 2020
Thank you very much for your feedback. First of all, thank you for your 7+ year commitment to EF. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the international environment and working towards our mission. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
No one day is the same at EF summer jobs. You have to people manage, communicate and organise because you're responsible for 1000s of kids. It can be challenging and the hours are long, but you learn a lot and it's good experience.
24 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback and thank you for your contribution to EF.

It's true that no day is the same, one of the reasons many people really love their jobs here. We believe in ownership and our amazing staff around the world is what makes EF such an interesting company to work for.

WIsh you all the best for 2020!
Regular work. Good if you need something to fill the gap if you don't work full time. Pay is not fantastic but it helps.
There is an opportunity to meet lots of different people from all around the world. Most clients are polite.

Group lessons and private lessons are easy to manage.
Pros
Can work anytime of the day, contact through email, training is good, you get 50p extra for every lesson you do that is given a good rating.
Cons
Pay is not great for the amount of work you have to do, the afterclass reports are long, especially when it comes to the private lessons. Pay goes up by 50p every 6 months.
Koko ajan kiinni työssä, joka sisälsi opetuksen ohella vapaa-ajan ohjaajana olemisen, retket, asuntojen vaihdot ja oppilaiden lääkärissä käyttämiset.
Pros
Mahdollisuus olla Oxfordissa.
Cons
Oppilaiden ja minun opettajan asunto liian kaukana keskustasta.
Management do illegal narcotics in the office, not the environment I want to work in

Very time consuming work, most staff are friendly, contracts are rolling 2 week contracts, no notice given
8 January 2020
There are undoubtedly good moments within this job. You will meet brilliant people and children, many of whom are international, and you will feel part of the team. I have made good friends for life from this job. However, I believe there are a number of negatives which you would want to consider before applying for this role.

The pay you receive in this role does not reflect the high quantity of hours you will have to work, and the difficulties you are likely to also face in the role. Effectively, even during your small amount of time of, you will most likely still have to deal with incidents that occur and spend a lot of your time planning for the following days events.

Overall, I am glad I did the job for the experience, as it showed me that I am more than capable of handling stressful situations, however it is certainly not a job for everyone, and if you would like a summer where you get plenty of time to do what you want to do, or long hours, responsibility and planning are not for you, then I would suggest you look for a different role.
Great fun for international exposure, lots of skills learnt e.g. patience, confidence when speaking to large groups of people and met great co-workers who were encouraging and helpful.
10 January 2020
Thank you for this feedback and your work at EF! Great to hear that you enjoyed coming to work, and being exposed to the international environment we operate in. Our people and culture are something we are very proud of and what really makes us different. Wish you all the best for 2020.
As AL I had the kids for half of the day while the teachers the other, so each week day I'd work in either the morning and evening, or afternoon and evening. You're allocated either Saturday or Sunday off but have to work the full day on the other. Can be quite stressful dealing with money and making sure all of the kids end up in the right places and all manage to get onto buses etc. Overall a very fun place to work and the first three days are the WORST because its so busy and you're new to it all, but after that its plain sailing.
5 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback and the hard work you put in making sure our students got to experience the summer of their life. I hope 2019 brings more amazing opportunities your way!
Taking care of young students is a challenge everyday but each day worths the job!!

I improved my skills in management and problem solving. I made a great impression to my students !

Great job ever!!
5 December 2019
Thank you for this feedback and your commitment taking care of our students. At EF, putting trust in our staff is key and we give every employee lots of responsibility from early in their EF career. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
It was my first experience of working for an online company as well as teaching. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with EF.

The staff were helpful when problems arose and the children were a delight to teach.
5 December 2019
Thank you for your feedback. I hope 2019 brings more amazing opportunities your way!
Los proyectos digitales son retadores. Existe vision sobre la digitalizacion de la educacion en europa. Sin embargo, no existe una cultura organizacional positiva.
I worked here for a few months recently over summer as a Teacher. The job/staff itself and the students were great! But there were many factors that I didn't like.
- the job is very fast paced indeed. It's so hard to keep up with what is happening on a day to day basis.

- space for teacher in the teacher room - there isn't any. it is meant to be hot desking but when you actually get there everyone has their own desk apart form you so you have to sit in the kitchen to do all your planning whilst everyone eats their lunch, not very fun at all.

- the material for the specialty classes is very poor. So many students are long running (6/9 months) and the material repeats itself over a short cycle. there are times when you repeat lessons and students get really upset if they have the same class twice. Management do not listen to this and suggest you 'make it work if you can' without even having a CD for a listening lesson. How are we meant to do this?

- lots of teachers are on zero hour contracts so work hours are not guaranteed each week. The timetable for the following week is given late on a Friday, meaning if you have a full day of classes on Monday/Tuesday (8.45-4.40) then where is the tine to plan lessons that are in detail and get all the materials?

- Management seem to think you should devote all your time to the company. How can someone live a balanced life and do all this? if you have something else in your life that might be just as important as working, don't work here. I used to spend all day thinking about work when I wasn't there. So much so I lost lots of sleep
 - more...
11 November 2019
Hello and thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you enjoyed your team and the students.
In regards to your feedback about our material, we encourage teachers to provide feedback on all aspects of our course curriculum. We ask that you reach out to us at teacher.welfare@ef.com so that we can identify and review the specific course materials you have referenced in your post.

We will review how to improve communication in terms of scheduling and working hours.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
I was treated appallingly . The worst part is the pay which was £8.50 per hour which is nothing. It isn't worth it and to be treated like nothing by the staff, too. I recommend working elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Low pay. Poor culture.
11 November 2019
EF does not tolerate harassment of any kind in the workplace. If you feel that you have been a victim of harassment, please contact our compliance team at compliance@ef.com so that a fair and thorough investigation can take place. Best regards.
Difficult staff to work with.Disorganised and unfriendly in issues. Did not get payed overtime. Unhelpful management staff. Job was fun but was difficult to carry out acitivities because of lack of guidance.
11 November 2019
Hi and thank you for your feedback. First of all, happy you enjoyed the role but at the same time we are sorry to hear you had a difficult time getting the right guidance. We know that the role can be demanding job and we are continually looking at ways to reduce the amount of administration and improving guidelines. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF Education First. Our community is ready to answer.