Edinburgh Woollen Mill
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Edinburgh Woollen Mill Employee Reviews

United Kingdom190 reviews
I've brought my vast experience and knowledge to the Business when I accepted the job offer.
And shared my knowledge with Manager's and the colleagues.

Training opportunities very little almost none.

The hardest part of the job was getting the Seasonal window display changes by the Visual Merchandiser.

Terrible pay. Head office an absolute joke. No support there. They don't care about workers and get really annoyed if you dare to ask for assistance with anything. Lone working expected a lot. Lots of bullying, backstabbing and gossip. No incentives or bonuses. They change their minds constantly about how they want you to do things. Very controlling. No opportunities to use your own ideas to boost sales etc....nobody listens to you. Do as you are told attitude.
Cons
Head office/higher management do not respect staff, under valued, overworked and underpaid. No work life balance, expected to work for nothing. No pay rise, no progression or advancement. Expected to lone trade at times. Threats to cut staff hours. The store I was in I had a lovely team, but it's the company itself that are just awful. They drive their staff into the ground. Avoid at all costs if you cm.
Pros
Good in store team.
Cons
Low pay, No work life balance, No progression or advancement unless managerial roles available in other stores, expected to work to unrealistic deadlines. Treated like slaves.
The Only good thing I can say about working for this company is the people who I worked with.

From day to day the store was a stressful environment due to the added pressures you get put on you to 'Drive sales' one thing could be to make sure you are selling add on's which is fair enough as they all add up but not to the extent of begging customers to buy something just to make you look good on paper.

There is always a motive behind the company, I loved who I worked with and if the company would move with the times and learn to respect their employees as humans and not robots maybe they wouldn't see such a changeover in the amount of staff.

You are expected to sell things to customers in a professional yet relaxed way but when you have the added pressures of targets in your face everyday it takes the enjoyment out of it all

I would not recommend working for this company where you only get treated as a number not a human.

Launching Sales were a nightmare as the items would only be reduced by so many pence rather than a few pounds to get rid of stock to make room for more. I would love to know who does all the ordering in for the stores as they literally don't have a clue as to what customers want.

The best thing for me was being made redundant during the Covid 19 Pandemic as I have now got a job in retail, for a company who treat people with respect and I would never recommend anyone to work for this company and line the owners pockets.
Pros
None other than the people I worked with
Cons
l loved working at EWM as l am interested in clothes and people. The wage , National minimum wage, did not reflect what l was expected to do. I opened up and closed the shop within a Garden Centre on a regular basis. I started on a temporary contract to cover sickness and this lasted 9 months. I then was taken on as a permanent sales assistant. I was made redundant over the telephone on 23rd March.
Pros
Friendly shop with great colleagues
Cons
Not appreciated by top management
Terrible company to work for. Terrible pay for their expectations, workload is high with no staff because of cuts. Female area managers are ogres, not approachable and in fact they are dictators. Non motivating, you get criticized for the littlest thing. No work life balance, people should avoid this company.
Cons
The atmosphere in working for this company was unbearable. A stressful and anxiety inducing environment. Poor management as unqualified people given jobs in management and appalling treatment of staff. Such a toxic place to work.
Pros
Sales assistants were lovely
Cons
Management, pay, working environment
There’s not much to say, the wages are awful, staff morale is awful...the only reason I stayed was to gain experience in the industry. Surprised this business has lasted so long.
Pros
Good experience for someone who may not have any in the industry
Cons
Everything else
In my view they will drop you to say paying holiday payment I was payed off twice for no reason other than they didn’t want to pay me over Christmas just to make the owner richer
Lovely colleagues fun place to work, Christmas time very busy and interesting , staff lovely brilliant place to work. I would have stayed permanently but job zero hours contract unfortunately
I enjoyed my time at the Woollen Mill as it gave me the chance to develop my careeer in retail, I started there as a sales assistant and within a few months was promoted to Retail Supervisor which I very much enjoyed.
Met lots of interesting customers, tourists came to Callander from all over the world, it was very interesting.

I learned how to prepare weekly sales reports, process deliveries, order stock from external suppliers. I was responsible for cashing the takings and checking till floats twice daily.

The hardest part of the job was meeting sales targets, especially in winter months when there were not many tourists around.

We worked well as a team, and motivated each other, which helped achieve good sales targets.
This job is highly stressful. I was bullied by management when I worked here. There is no support from anywhere and the pay and prospects are very poor!
Wouldn’t recommend working here to anyone. Can’t keep staff only been open a short space of time and been through 9 supervisors. Expect you to put your social life on pause for them and drop everything and run if someone else phones in sick. Got a problem and phone higher up and absolutely nothing gets done about it. Not a good place to work.
serving customers helping them get the right size clothes that they came into the shop to get.
management were really good and easy to talk to

was seeing how happy some of the customers where when they left
typical day is greeting customers normally of the older generation and unpacking stock.
learn good customer service skills and how to use a till

management is normally quite good with good support
A nice, chilled environment to work in, slow paced, great service also, very thorough with customers, management is great. The whole workplace work as a team, great atmosphere.
Pros
The staff
Cons
Small store
Placing stock out, serving customers etc. Higher up personnel have a very negative attitude and expect a managers job done on minimum wage. Over obsessed with sales figures.
The Carlisle head office is a great place to work, very friendly atmosphere throughout the whole building which incorporates various departments. The canteen onsite is incredible.
As manager it's hard work. The company is proactive when needs be. Reactive when pushed. Lots of tasks but the downfall is lack of staffing to carry out tasks in time. Overall a great company though...just need to pay more and have more man hours for the workload
Very small store, however lots of stock to sell and organise. Delivery days were the most hands on, meeting targets was a fun challenge for the team . Very friendly customers, always down for a chat.
a pleasant company to work for goals & targets were achievable job offered lots of variety excellent uniform choice and allowance, support for ideas and help when needed with an excellent working staff ratio.I enjoyed my time with this company.