Edinburgh Woollen Mill Employee Reviews

Productive and fum place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bletchley22 August 2019
Friendly store, cosy place to work, excellent job opportunities with a 20% discount and pension scheme. Nice clean place to work. Flexible with hours
Pros
Tea coffee making facilities
Interesting
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh3 August 2019
It was a great experience, fun to learn so much about Scottish culture, incredible because i got to meet people from everywhere across the globe, learnt a lot bout customer service and prepared me to dealwith a lot of difficult situations in the work place.
Horrible place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 July 2019
Poor pay, The building i worked in was really run down and dangerous, it was also hot in summer and freezing in winter due to the company open door policy. The head office staff treat you as if you were an idiot, no support. Area manager was nice to your face but talked about confidential thing to other managers behind your back. New gdrp guidelines were ignored. Glad i left.
Customers great, Work colleges great, Manager stressed,Area un helpful
Supervisor/sales assistant. (Current Employee) –  Wendover19 July 2019
Whilst working in the Wendover store U thoroughly enjoyed working within a very friendly team,the manager went out of her way to sort out our days off equally and did her best to please everyone although at times she became very stressed. I moved stores to help open up Haddenham where we were left to our own devices with staff leaving left right and centre because of the disorganization of the store. Our manager left after one month and then everything became worse. I was offered a position as supervisor and Manager but I declined as there is not the right training to succeed within those positions. I ended up not going back because of stress and was then diagnosed with breast cancer. My last wage packet was in correct but I am unwell at the moment to phone up about it. The Area Manager as I see it does nothing but stress every store out without any correct guidance. I loved most of my time at Edinburgh Woollen Mill .
Pros
As above
Cons
As above
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wilton, Wiltshire17 July 2019
I learnt a lot from working here and this job has set me up for customer experiences and has lend on to my further working carrer
Quiet & underpaying.
PART-TIME SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Yarnton18 June 2019
Don't be surprised if you are underpaid what you're owed, take notes of hours you work & what your age group is owed hourly, you will need to go back & forth with them about what they owe you.
Pros
Kettle & Fridge
Cons
Die of overheating in the Summer, die of freezing coldness in Winter.
Do not work there!!
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 June 2019
The General manager treats the staff as furniture, demands many changes, complains when things are not working well but he never takes into account the petitions. I have listened quite a few times the manager shouting at workers, and some of them, just quitting after a week.

You are required to work at least 40 hours per week, you will get paid 30 or even less whenever you go on holiday.

The way of addressing you differs a lot whenever you are an immigrant in a very negative way. This company worships lazy people, and does not appreciate at all hard workers.
Pros
They pay the break
Cons
Management, Wages
Productive and job satisfaction
Supervisor and PT covering manager (Former Employee) –  Farnham, Surrey17 June 2019
Loved helping the elder generation of customers with outfits and making them feel really appreciated.
Fast paced worker when It came to keeping the shop up to date with all the latest fashion, displays that would encourage customers to come in.
Cashed up and followed through end of week reports and all the finance of the store.
Planned rotas.
Completed a NVQ in Management and Customer Service skills which was kindly funded through the company as an additional add on to the work experience and future roles.
Would think of new ways to promote and advertise new products and clothing range.
Was a very humble place to work, the team was small but very supportive and caring.
Learnt a lot of figures and background numbers that had to be met. Meet and greet each customer every time they entered the shop was the part i disliked as I feel you can Gage when a customer needs your help and when they are just browsing.
Apart from continuous folding, I found I wasn't challenged enough and was not rewarded financial benefits for assisting with management on long term sick which I fulfilled all duties for 6 months plus.
Still miss some valuable customers that would come in and bring chocolate buttons and have a chat as they did not have anyone local to come and see. Little Lilly was a diamond. It was more social and elder care which I loved than retail. :-) Great place.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Recognition and money
Productive and friendly workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 June 2019
I worked here for close to two years, this was my first job and the company and the team were great. Really flexible around college and personal life, lovely environment to work in.
Friendly and happy place to work!
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Christchurch13 June 2019
The staff here are fantastic! I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of people to have worked with at EWM! Everyone makes the tasks so much less mundane and it makes customer care so much easier! Any challenges that do arise in the job are met with support and care from management. They have so much faith and pride for their staff.
Pros
lovely work mates!
Cons
basic pay
Busy but with positive environment
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Jedburgh12 June 2019
Shifts always different, however they will help u fit shifts round ur life if need be. Wages vary depending on age. Overall nice staff and shifts are very productive.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Change of shifts
fun and productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MS3 June 2019
This is a good place to work as the team are all nice people and get on well. This job is ideal for a part-time job as the hours can be short. this job is possibly good for a student or someone who needs a little bit of retail experience.
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
Sometimes really short/erratic hours, Weekend work
productive work
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate25 May 2019
great productive working ,great teamwork, stock rotation, public service,front and back hospitality work ,part time working to work around family ,till and cashing up training .
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Awful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Yorkshire22 May 2019
All managers I worked with bar one were useless. Area manager couldn’t accept sales not being high every single day, zero work benefits, always worked way over my contract hours and HO an absolute joke. Stone Age policies and methods. If you’re graduate like I was then don’t do it, not worth the hassle and having to deal with with managers ego trips.
Cons
Managers, dull work place, Head office, treatment of staff
Awful company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Shropshire11 May 2019
Not a good place to work at all. Area manager is someone who talks at you. Her people skills were somewhat to be desired. They have a project called EWM CARES who do they care for staff NO customers NO. Retail is hard enough but this company bites the biscuit. Staff turnover says it all
Pros
Cons
Dont not appy ever
Princess street Edinburgh
sales asst (Former Employee) –  princess street10 May 2019
I am sure the company is ok , and the manager / under manager at this branch fine . But wow , the over inflated ego of the supervisor is something from another world . I could,nt stand it any more . Complete nutcase . Rude and bullying . Highly manipulative . Wish id got another branch .
Difficult to progress
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Holmfirth9 May 2019
Although I was only at the Edinburgh woollen mills briefly during my time at college I found it difficult to progress. A typical day at work involved stocking shelves, folding clothes and occasionally doing price checks.
Cons
Long hours, short lunch break.
Terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southport, Merseyside24 March 2019
Southport management is awful patronising and picky. Doesn’t listen to requests and looks down on you for anything. Do not recommend working here as every member of staff I knew left after a few months due to management.
Pros
Customers are lovely
Cons
Everything else
Good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pembrokeshire21 March 2019
I love my Job been here for 8 years my manager is great and the team all click it’s a winner winner day to day its great you get to meet different people
Pros
Good flexibility
Structure and well organised Business
Retail Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire18 February 2019
The EWM company is well structure and communicates well from the initial induction and throughout employment.

Local management can sometimes vary significantly from branch to branch and this can occasionally cause some confusion when cover is arranged.