Edinburgh Napier University

Edinburgh Napier University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom37 reviews
A lot of work and learning. Organising inter university/campus meetings to finalise on in coming students and make their as easy as possible. brain storming with senior executive was the major part of the process.
Great workmates, great environment and enjoyable career, travel could be problematic at times, heavy on the management which could hinder maintenance outcomes
Offer flextime if you don't work on the reception. Generous leave at Christmas and New Year.

Training is minimal but enough to get by.

Could work much worse places though.
Edinburgh Napier University provided an opportunity to develop an extensive and diverse portfolio, pertaining to community and partnerships. I am most proud of developing a regular programme of engagement with local primary school-aged children, who visited the university as a means to inspire, motivate and encourage positive pathways through sport, academia, positive citizenship and creativity.
Worked with cool people, everyone from the admin team to the lecturers were great to work with. I recommend for any student particularly any in the computing department to get your foot in the door and they will ask you to do more work once they have your contact details and everything set up.
I have been happily employed at Edinburgh Napier University for nine years. As Security Supervisor, my core responsibility is to manage a team of eight staff: seven Security Assistants and one Security Administrator within the University Security Service.

I believe in that time I have built a strong understanding of the financial versus operational tempo that each academic year presents, both from an academic and support staff perspective. In line with this, I can provide evidence and ULT references as to the effectiveness of my management practices, collaborative efforts and leadership on several successful inter service partnerships and external ventures, some of which are ongoing.

During my time at the University - which includes being a student myself - I have come to be known across the organisation as a very capable manager with an ability to foster a leading, effective and willing team. I enjoy and take pride in my general management style when it comes to the operational performance and development of my own team.
Pros
Fosters positive cultures
Cons
Shift work
I worked as a researcher at Merchiston campus. Horrible horrible place to work. Lots of bullying, toxic belittling, workload is huge yet managers do very little and they fix it through the workload system so they take the credit for the hard work too. Lots of unsuccessful grievances and complaints made against senior managers yet university management turn a blind eye. Mental health crisis amongst staff leading to high levels of absences.
I worked at Edinburgh Napier University for 12 years in the catering department, and I found it an enjoyable experience, staff were friendly, on going training, you are provided with a uniform. Lots of different skills to learn if you are willing. Every day is different, I made some lasting friendships, and will take this with me.
Pros
Good salary, great friends, good working atmosphere.
Cons
Quiet during the holidays.
Toxic office environments, back stabbing and non stop gossips and clique colleague work culture which can be intimidating- especially in Merchiston Campus. Not inclusive!
.Very hostile atmosphere and the managers will treat you like you are a child and will favouritise those individuals they are friends with instantly.

Intrigues, ganging up against someone they don like and black mailing to drive you insane until you pushed out to leave.

HR does not want to be involved- indicating you are on your own- not happy just leave!

You will be dragged into participating in workplace conversations that leave you drained of optimism. When you are surrounded by people who feel negatively about your workplace, it’s difficult to remove yourself from the spirit of negativity

You will complain to your family about work each night.

Managers even get clicky with certain staff members and don't act professional and happy to discuss colleagues personal issues out loud. If you complain about bulling - no support at all- you will be blamed instead!

Incredibly Low morale! Definite favoritism amongst staff. Not a good company to work for, if you are disliked!

If you care about your sanity and health- avoid at all cost!
Pros
Holidays, salary
Cons
-Micro management Low morale
It was a great experience to work at the University. Management and staff is very cooperative and encouraging. there was a good work life balance. There were many opportunities to grow further.
Well paid and great work life balance. Not well managed if in professional services . Culture is great and staff retention is very high. Willing to support development and an inclusive employer.
Worked here for a long time. Other roles are okay but academic roles are 60 hours per week and are so short staffed that there are delivery of core service issues and so you work weekends, all unpaid. Not easy taking holidays etc. Lot of bullying to make this happen. Lots and lots of long term staff sickness that doesn’t Get covered, so you need to add it to your long list of tasks. More senior roles are very well paid and a lot easier but no real internal progression from lecturer level up. Or it typically takes 15 years. No staff room, no caring for staff, silent treatment and ghosting from colleagues and the various administration systems don’t really work. Difficult to move on from career-wise. Very unhappy ship. Just go for the job if you are desperate. Non-academic roles are much better terms and conditions though.
Pros
The students
Cons
Everything else.
Edinburgh Napier is a really good employer; they care about their staff well being and work/life balance. There are some great benefits not least the pension contribution, gym access at Sighthill and the possibility of flexible working.
Flexible employer, inclusive culture and commitment to building the student experience. professional environment, treated as an individual, lack of office politics.
I taught and supervised undergraduate and postgraduate students. I also carried out research in own areas of specialism.

The management had unreasonable demands that were going way beyond my contractual hours. I often received job security threats from the management. Work to life balance was particularly bad. Little job security despite that I was outperforming many of my colleagues.
I enjoyed working here. They were flexible if you needed to work from home. I really liked the offices, they were lovely and open and airy. Great HR team.
Plan for meetings, office work can end up dealing with anything from boiler/heating system not working, manage contractors and direct labour for the undertaking of legislative P.P.M. maintenance and repairs.
Good place to work friendly and reasonably relaxed

Can be a challenge with budgets and at times dealing with academics

As above
Fantastic place to work at. Comprehensive training, fair pay, good hours and clear objectives to achieve. Helpful supervisors and good work atmosphere - everyone is very friendly and professional.
Good temporary assignment. Hour for lunch. Agresso. Excel v-lookups and pivot tables. On road parking. Salary crosscharge journals. Open plan office in modern tower block.
Pros
Hour for lunch.
Cons
No cons
I done my masters along with GHA project.
Global Health Apps is an independent startup company focused on enabling professionally guided and health management and seeks to be the trusted partner of health professionals and consumers alike.
Worked around your schedule and studies Friendly staff, great work environment, you can socialise on the job, getting to know new students and promoting the university