Edinburgh Leisure Employee Reviews

Friendly staff at all levels
Team Member - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh23 June 2019
Hours not too demanding
Some staff shortages on an operational level
Many training and career advancement opportunities
Overall a decent company to work for
Pros
Free EL membership and freinds and family discount memberships
Cons
Some staff shortages
Trainee swim instructor
Trainee Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Common Wealth Pool8 May 2019
I started at the common wealth pool in March this year as a trainee swim instructor, the advert I felt was totally misleading.
You had to stay with the company two years or you had to pay back the money for the courses depending on how long you stayed.
I also lived outside Edinburgh and to get to the courses was expensive and time consuming of which they didn't reimburse you for.
Wasn't told that I had to take a lifeguarding course either and that there was a fitness test! I'd been working at the commie for over five weeks and no one got me ready for that course which was savage by the way!!!
I forfeited the course as I wasn't pool fit, and was told I had to sit it again within the month!! I had nowhere to stay and it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to re-sit it all over again, but they just dont seem to care about that side of things.
The staff were cool, but management well I actually didn't know who I was to contact when I resigned, thats how bad the lack of communication is.
There is just no communication at the Commie or within Edinburgh Leisure.
My line manager was all about his ego and when any problems arose he left the other female line manager to sort things out, but was quick to be condescending towards me because of his lack of incompetence.
Also they are a charity, charities expect a lot from you but you don't get much back and they don't pay much.
I am not a person who likes to be negative but I feel I wasted seven weeks of my life and money travelling back and forward to the commie, it cost me so much money. The pay was very poor also.
Totally
  more... gutted. as I feel I wasn't supported like they'd promised me.

Take from this as you will.
Pros
some of the staff were cool
Cons
NO communication, no explanation, hot, noisy, line manager never wanted to deal with anything. Little pay
Very friendly environment.
Leisure Attendant/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh23 February 2019
My time at Edinburgh leisure has been very pleasant. I owe a lot to Gracemount Leisure centre especially as working there really brought me out my shell and helped develop me as a person.
Great place to work. Can take a time to get in touch.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh2 May 2018
Work environment is friendly and support for new starts is excellent. I learned a lot of communication skills with the public and how to use several different kinds medium on the computer, such as emailing and EPOS. Management is the facilities strength as they are always helpful but can be hard to find in such a big facility.
Poor communication not helpful
Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 March 2018
Not the friendliest management new staff all the time poor communication as a company. New managers every month too much stuff to do on your own. No teamwork colleagues always in the staff room drinking tea.
Pros
Salary, Use of facility
Cons
Health and safety issues/Rude staff/ Poor management
Not a good workplace
Lesuire attendant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh9 October 2017
A typical day at Edinburgh leisure consisted of many cleaning tasks to keep the centre clean, many set ups to allow public and also scheduled classes take part in activities and of course you have to safeguard the pool. I learned some further skills in how to clean but not much else. Management at Edinburgh Leisure is awful and should be watched more closely as they downgrade you, don't help you with anything, accuse of anything and everything and don't make you feel comfortable in the workplace.
Pros
free membership
Cons
management
Fun workplace with excellent development opportunities
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh15 July 2017
Excellent salary. Great perks with membership to all EL sites. Lots of development opportunities and courses provided free of charge. High standard of training provided. Only downside is tough hours in some roles and locations.
Pros
Training and development
Cons
Very early starts in some roles
Amount of time with edinburgh leisure
Leisure attendant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh28 March 2017
typical day is very busy and always on the go with set ups and cleaning, learnt lots over the years qualified first aider,health and safety coordinator and fire risk assessor.
A centre is only as good as the manager who runs it and sorry to say that's apparent with my site.
Work place culture like any other clique and a bit of back stabbing.
Hardest part dealing with some of the gymnastics clubs who use the centre .
Enjoy working with my team mates and we work well together
Pros
Good staff award free access to all facilities
Cons
Progression within the company
fun place to work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, Midlothian22 January 2017
you learn new things and different ways to deal with customers threw Edinburgh leisure. there are all different opportunity's threw Edinburgh leisure aswell.
Pros
discount
good place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  east side11 July 2016
Great company, good holidays, work as teams, encorouge training and promotion, free membership. Staff support from other members.
Pros
traning in job good working conditions
Cons
shifts if you dont like them, but great company
very boring
LifeGuard (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh30 June 2016
not much to do here, when not in the pool area you are required to clean and once all the cleaning is done there is nothing to keep you busy until you are back on to the pool area i like to be kept busy
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
weird shifts
Great place to work with a superb atmosphere
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh26 April 2016
As a receptionist you are working on many tasks at once, so you need to ensure you are working efficiently and at a fast pace. I learned that their a many different kinds of customers and you should always prepare for the unexpected. Building a good relationship as a team with management and co-workers allows you to complete every job at hand to a suitable standard.
Pros
Free gym memberships
Cons
Long shifts
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh10 December 2015
Generally a good place to work, great customer base with many regulars that allows you to build a good relationship . Very comfortable and settle work environment.
Productive fun workplace
Greenkeeper (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT20 November 2015
I was a seasonal greenkeeper and enjoyed my time with Edinburgh Leisure. The team were great for training and getting the work done in an efficient manner
Pros
Great team and being outdoors
Cons
Very early morning starts
Family-like environment, friendly and a generally good company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh7 November 2015
Edinburgh Leisure is a well respected company of the leisure industry, that is large and well known across Edinburgh and the Lothian's. To work for such a big company was rewarding. Although a big company, they tried their best to make everyone feel equally welcome and respected. A very family-like atmosphere was given from day 1 of working there. Overall a very good company to work for.
Pros
free leisure membership
Cons
very early starts
Well... depends what u want from a workplace
Ex-employee (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh24 February 2015
The actual job is okay but some management staff are not worth time of day! Don't know how to speak to staff or people and some staff will throw u under the bus without even thinking twice about it 😦 HIGH staff turn- over
Then again, it's mostly the customers and staff members that keep u going...
Gotta give cleaners and crèche staff biggest praise they make ur centre what it is.
Pros
Customers
Cons
No breaks
okay
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, SCT20 October 2013
dealing with the heat of the place constant dehydration and lack of water facilities apart from that the job was good a bairn could do it.
good company good benefits
Golf Course Marshall/Starter (Former Employee) –  edinburgh27 August 2013
good company good benefits, nice easy job that got me out and about
work expierience
shadowed lifeguard (Former Employee) –  drumbrae25 February 2013
this was just my work expierience in 4th year of high school.
Fun work place
Activator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, Scotland23 January 2013
Looking after children (some with disabilities) leading them through lots of activities.
Long tiring hours
Enjoy seeing the kids so happy