EDF Energy Plc

EDF Energy Plc Employee Reviews

Questioning attitude and learning from your mistakes were central to the working environment. Working as a team was highly encouraged. Having outside work activities were part of our team.
Pros
Sports was encouraged a lot
Cons
A foreword thinking company that actually care about there staff and staff wellbeing. Strict health and safety rules. Great communication and HR process
Pros
Caring employer
Cons
Can’t think of any problems
The people at EDF make the company good to work for however the uncertainty and clear direction for the Customers part of the business is constantly in flux, making security in your role precarious
I worked for EDF for three years. It is best job I’ve had to date; managers are very supportive and keen to ensure staff have a healthy work/life balance. Plenty of opportunities for progression and lifelong friendships are made within the company. Excellent benefits too.
Pros
Onsite restaurant and gym
I have a lot to say but will say the minimum. very exciting at the beginning. once on the field they expect you to do 4 duals regardless of how much time each job takes. Managers keep pressuring for job to be done. even though EDF claims to be safety orientated but this is not what they make you do. Maybe i was unfortunate to have an area manager who just wanted meters on the wall. no job security. anything happens they throw the engineer under the bus. Pay is highly dependent on bonus which again means meters on the walls. I have left after more than 2 years whilst i thought this would be the job i keep. Left and much happier where i am. get paid more and dont have to just put meters on the wall- here IT IS about safety. unprofessional managers and area managers. sometimes disregard for safety just to get the job done.
Pros
Training
Cons
pressure / unsafe advice / stressing field staff / no job security
If you work well under pressure this job will be perfect for you. It’s a fast paced environment but always lots going on and logs to learn. Lots of in-house jobs.
The most stressful place I have ever worked. Loved my actual job. Did well but it was never good enough. I know several people who went off sick with stress because of the way they were treated. Pushed to the limit. A lot of people left for lower paid jobs just to get away from the stress. Me included. They wanted to get staff numbers down without making redundancies and pass more work to contracted out companies who paid zero hours no benefits to their staff. Only positive was the money and benefits. But it’s not worth your mental health which eventually effects your physical health and home life. P.s I was once asked by my manager. When do you read your emails? During work I said on average about 20-30 a day. Well don’t he said read them before or after work. Mmmm I thought...What do you think?
Pros
Wages benefits
Cons
Stress..
Work was simple enough to understand but the company hire everyone as temps, and promotions are seconded. The staff are nice enough, but you get the odd idiot. Some managers are too strict in terms of personal issues and wellbeing
Pros
Good location
Cons
School-like culture, Bad contracts
The sickness procedure has always been punitive, but just recently the bottom line has altered, meaning that pressure is piled onto the call centre staff. I þ for them for 17 years, I was trying fit my glorious round self, into a clearly square hole.
Pros
good salary & benefits
Cons
toxic atmosphere & goalposts being moved constantly
The company on a whole is great, many great teams exist within, sadly I worked in the area that was all work with no play but we made the best of it, the management are understanding with personal circumstances and help as much as often, some teams have room to grow some do not.
Pros
relaxed enviroment for personal circumstance
Cons
lack of recognition
I worked on the trading floor in London. These environments are not fun. You have a job to do and you have clear targets and there are reasonable resources there to achieve them. For the most part it was enjoyable. Like many large firms though, they struggle to adapt and adopt new technologies. The information systems are antiquated and not easily accessible. As a trader you should be able to access information quickly and have skills updated regularly but this was poor. I expect it is the same in many large firms. The catch is, you are there to generate an income and your performance is monitored daily, which we all understood; but when we needed better information/data it took forever to deliver. This is why so many small suppliers have been successful, they are more dynamic and get go. Understand that EDF run nuclear power stations so cannot fly by the seat of their pants, but in order to compete effectively in trading environment the nuclear and trading cultures should be totally separate.
Pros
Security
Cons
Command and control culture
Expected to keep up to company standards on work sometimes given more jobs than day allowed. Start at 8.00am and finish at 5.00pm. This meant sometimes starting from home at 7.15am as work time started at time you got to first job. Some of the tech you were given was unreliable mainly the smartpad which did not record times accurately and lost signal repeatedly. this also did not hold charge all day even though you tried to charge it on travelling times between jobs,
Can provide more details to potential employers if required. Was employed for almost 16 years by this company, however now require a more flexible shift pattern to allow me to look after my daughter. No longer employed by this company.
Management treat you really bad...always on your case...unfairly treated ..get the blame for things out of your control only good if your face fits.To many backstabbers ...
edf energy is a ok place to work. A typical day at work is to complete between 3-4 duel fuel appointments everyday. i have learneda lot from management as i have been an acting manager, while my and other managers have been sick or on holiday.
supporting sales staff on the road you are always given opportunities to learn new skills quite a lack back culture with the option to home work(agile working) the people you learn to work with , very friendly & professional
great bunch of people to work with but had gone through many tough times and changes in management and hence buy out by EDF after I had joined the group, as a director and not informed this was imminent.
Overall the experience was very good. The company ensures that you are well looked after and have the help and support in place if needed. However, the Job was not at all what I was expecting. The interview made the job sound more practical than it really was.
speaking with customers dealing with their energy consumption queries, taking card payments, readings. Help resolving complaints to prevent them going to the Ombudsman.
Throughout my time during my placement year at EDF it was a continuous learning experience. All the activities I took part in were educative and let me learn new things about the engineering industry. Also, the fact that the plant had nuclear power made all the procedures and guidelines very important. Health and safety is very important and it is made a priority everyday when working with anything.
Plenty of opportunities for career development Positive and professional work environment Customer orientated Collaborative approach Opportunity to speak french Flexible working arrangements
  1. Employee reviews