East of England Ambulance Service Trust

East of England Ambulance Service Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom31 reviews
Fast paced and long hours
It is rewarding being able to help people especially when it is usually when they are at their lowest point in their lives. The public are grateful for your help.
Live and learn a great deal.
All that paramedic profession entails but ambulance based. This is the world of pre-hospital care and blue lights, rarely have two jobs alike and you will experience and take part in the best and most tragic parts of people's lives. Not for the faint hearted but, definitely for people wanting to make a difference for it's own reward.
Bullied, left due to mental health, unable to work for 2 years ... You have been warned
I worked here as part of the HR team. Unfortunately I was horribly bullied by another HR person, which my team were ineffective in providing protection from. Just within HR there were multiple cases of long term sickness, bullying and even a suicide when someone was badly supported on their return to work from long term sick. I was told that as I was an HR person I should be able to fix the bullying without my managers help. I was left in an increasingly fragile state. If it hadn't been for the support of 3 non-HR managers, I really think that I wouldnt have survived either. I eventually resigned as I was so distressed at the frankly hideous working environment, that there were no other options. This employer just truly sucks. There is pressure to not do anything proactive (as "it risks job losses if we look like we have spare time"). It is the most toxic, angry and unpleasant environment. People take the pressures out on each other and you will most likely be put in the position of having to turn a blind eye to medical errors/avoidable deaths. If you want to work for the NHS, there are other organisations which will have less risk in terms of your survival. Please dont think that it will be different for you. They will sap all joy out of your life.
Poor reward for the responsibility
Frustrating job as every one is passing the bucket. Doesn't matter if you are university trained or unqualified staff, everyone is taking most patients to hospital just to protect their job. No support from management and to get promoted it is about who you know (or how good looking you are) not what you know. Very corrupted and crazy hours plus always finishing at least an hour late and
Productive team ( not so sure of others)
My team was fab not sure if it’s the same with all others.
I was non emergency and liked the people I worked with and they had been there some time. Although some days could drag
Your long term mental health will suffer
You will love this job to start with, the thrill of driving on blue lights the buzz of trying to save a poorly patients life. Due to volume of work there is no time for decompression between jobs and burn out is high.
The average front line career length is now approximately 5 years.
Awful
Given the impression in training that it’s fab, supportive etc. On only my second shift with a mentor I fell apart, burst into tears and left. It’s really hard at first using a script and using three screens. I was expected to remember every single icon and was constantly put under pressure to go faster from my third call, whilst my mentor sat there stuffing donuts, sweets, bagels, McDonald’s or whatever other food had been delivered
Eeast
Very badly run and terrible management that have no concern over your well being or work life balance. Any complaints or grievances that you officially enter are never auctioned especially when it comes to bullying. A whole new management clear out is needed and listen to the staff.
Large Well Established Organisation
My role involved the maintenance of the Rostering Database (GRS).
I became a qualified trainer for the GRS Software Package.

Recently Restructured Management Chain

The Organisation has a strong focus on operational effectiveness.

Constant Deadlines

Variety of work streams
Improvement could be made.
It's a shame as it could be a good place to work, but unfortunately there is no managerial support what ever grade you are, apart from other on the road colleagues. No staff morale. Career progression is hard unless you what to be a manager and you face has to fit. Difficult to understand the different job roles they have as they keep changing them and expecting staff to have portfolios completed after requirements being changed. keep pushing pay boundaries further away from qualified staff.
The only positive is that you get to meet some lovely people and patients.
Poor
For a care organisation the management certainly do not care for their staff. So many rules and time regulations. Only get 30 minutes break in a twelve hour shift. You finish one to two hours late every shift.
Pros
Being paid
Cons
Too many to mention
A unpleasant job made worse by incompetent management
You are purely be a number, a bum on a seat.Lip service only is paid to staff welfare matters. Leave requests are repeatedly refused due to poor staffing levels. little and no career progression within the organisation if your not a paramedic. Your rest break of 45 minutes in a 12 hour shift are repeatedly interrupted for non life threatening calls that are hours old. If your a bully or incompetent usually both you’ll be promoted it’s certainly not done on merit or ability.
If you leave nobody cares

AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Jump before you’re pushed.
The unhappiest I’ve been in my entire working career. Childish behaviour. You may be on the phone trying to calm down a mother that has just found their son hanging and have your supportive ‘team’ laughing, and messing about whilst dishing out McDonalds all behind you whilst the script you’ve been trying to read has gone to pot. Talking of script. It’s all scripted. Never EVER deviate from the script. It is audited. You’ll be on a warning if you do. Do what you’re told and never speak your mind. You’ll feel harassed from the moment you log on until you log off twelve hours later. You’ll be abused on the phone. I’m all for the odd drunk shouting and swearing at me but this is relentless. I’ve dealt with the most heartbreaking calls and it’s impossible to always leave it at the door. There’s no buffer. There’s a beep in your ear and you might be speaking to the same person who’s phoned 60 times that day already or hearing someone take their last breath. The money for what you do is terrible. I should probably just go and work in Lidl.
Pros
Help people
Cons
No one cares.
Emergency call handler
The stress of this jobs is too much but the lack of support from managers is awful. Very much a blame culture control room, soneone always wanting to blame the call handler ! This place nearly broke me ....
Cons
Working in IT has so much to offer
I can unreservedly recommend not working in EEAST IT. I have not found any other organisation where bullying, harassment, intimidation, micromanagement, emotional and verbal abuse are all part of the exclusive package. You get it all here. Don’t worry about training or self development either, you won’t get any. If you are a self starter who can manage work flexibly and have a can do attitude then this place can offer nothing for you, there is no flexibility, it is over-bureaucratic and attending pointless meetings and writing endless reports is far more important than doing any real work. It is not all bad though, the management will back each other up and close ranks quicker than you can say dignity at work. Be assured that any complaints will be thoroughly covered up and you will be down the job centre in no time. Another bonus is that this ethos does not just stop within IT, the culture is openly ignored all the way to exec level too. Don’t hesitate to not apply straight away!
Pros
NHS pay and benefits
Cons
No flexibility, abusive and controlling management, toxic culture including bullying, harassment and intimidation, no support, no training, no career progression, bureaucratic, absolutely no trust.
unknown
This is extremely annoying that you are making me complete this for every single job I have had. It is a lot more time consuming to an already long process of looking for a new job. Not impressed Indeed!
Abysmal Management
No management to speak of, rarely seen, no communication, support, guidance, motivation, left without help using substandard resources. Work colleagues are good and the role is rewarding, but it all collapses when feeling undervalued and not to mention waiting months for money to be paid. Expenses disappear, unsocial hours entitlement not paid. This is my experience, others may differ but I'm looking for a new job and will leave as soon as I find one.
Pros
Rewarding work and good colleagues.
Cons
Everything rise
Work elsewhere!
Too many managers looking after themselves and not the staff. Bullying and harassment are rife. Mistakes are covered up for those who's faces fit, for those that don't you've had it.
Staff leaving in droves, always recruiting.

Staff morale so low is shocking. Always off late, poor rotas that are only going to get worse, any training such as mandatory yearly training has to be done on own time.

I regret ever setting foot in this workplace.
Pros
Regular pay
Cons
Long hours. No support from managers. No training support. Blame culture is rife.
just awful!!
please dont work here its awful!! honestly the team leaders who are supposed to support you are back stabbing and are plain bullys... youve been warned... awful employer
Pros
Cons
team leaders
excellent job - poor management at executive level
rewarding but extremely challenging. The target led environment does not allow clinicians to provide appropriate care and treatment to patients. Too many long shifts with extremely late finishes
I dont recommend working here
team leaders enjoy bullying staff

very negative environment

actively intimidate and harass staff to keep quiet about major issues

generally an awful employer, i can only speak for the EOC in norwich
Pros
helping people
Cons
arrogant, aggressive team leaders
Ask a question about working or interviewing at East of England Ambulance Service Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.1