East Sussex County Council Employee Reviews

Awful management and
Assessment and planning officer. (Current Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex7 December 2018
Worked here for a long time however leaving soon. Management has a bullying culture and has zero care that everyone is overworked. New staff turn up and see how bad it is and then quit within days / hours! The turnover in staff is truly shocking. Promotion is totally political and not judged on merit . Contract says 37 hours a week however you will be working 50 hours a week to manage the caseloads with zero overtime . The council is full of unproductive people and change is highly frowned upon . Do not work here !
Pros
Central location
Cons
Management, No overtime, Workload.
It doesn't feel like work
Duty Senior Support Worker (Relief) (Current Employee) –  Bexhill11 November 2018
I never dread going there.
Your respected as an individual and encouraged to be the best to your own potential.
There are plenty of staff benefits, and plenty of staff to make friends with..
good fun
Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Chailey9 November 2018
great learning in this role dealing with complex needs and enjoyed the back up of a good manager shame again head office wasn't the same. good team and amazing people
Pros
good employer
Cons
different thoughts around boundries
Professional and confidential
Personnel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewes5 September 2018
A typical day would involve being a point of contact for school bursars and managers for the administration related to school staff. Working within quite a large team of Personnel Assistants, each of whom was allocated a set number of schools after training. Support was from other team members and a buddy, as well as the Assistant Personnel Officer, the immediate line manager for the team. It was quite hierarchical and there were several bands of seniority within the department. Each day the work would consist of providing administrative, telephone and email support, general office duties such as photocopying, faxing and filing, producing vacancies and setting them up on the company website by a set time each week.
It could be quite demanding work, both mentally and physically, but flexitime was available and the work-life balance was good. Training was excellent and took place away from the office. All Personnel Assistants received 3 months training before being allocated work within their role. It ensured that they were confident to carry out the tasks they were expected to do. Regular reviews took place between the Personnel Assistants and their line manager. The role involved being meticulous with detail and being extremely well organised. The buddy scheme ensured that any difficulties encountered were quickly highlighted and extra training given if necessary. Office attire was expected Monday to Thursday, with a Dress Down Friday each week. Sometimes visits to schools were arranged, and were an especially enjoyable part of the role. Creating vacancies was another enjoyable
  more... part of the role. The hardest part was getting all the information correct the first time and delivering a first class administrative service to the allocated schools and passing complaints to the next level of seniority within set time frames. There was plenty of scope for progression for the right person, and this was encouraged.  less
Pros
Onsite canteen, green spaces, flexitime, travel vouchers, extensive training
Good Local Government Employee
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex30 June 2018
Working hard to match the need to make big savings and still proved a good service for all of its customers, whilst protecting the vulnerable and less able
Pros
Central location
Cons
parking an issue
Enjoy working for the CC
Early Help Family Keywork (Current Employee) –  Hastings29 May 2018
Good employer have worked for them in multiple roles and have found them to be a good organisation to work for. They value their staff and the work is interesting.
Development and Support
Administrative Support Officer (Current Employee) –  East Sussex County Council, Lewes22 February 2018
I've been working for ESCC for three years and have progressed from an apprentice to an SS6 Administrative Support Officer - however I know feel there is no progression/development pathway available to me.

I enjoy working with my team and the fast paced environment, there is a lot of pressure on the team due to funding and budgets.
Pros
Flexiable working/agile working
Cons
Lots of pressure/stress. Lack of CPD
Enjoyable place to work
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cross in Hand/Five Ashes15 February 2018
Team where friendly and supportive had good time, understanding and approachable if you needed any training or support.had challenges and because of these I was able to push myself to do things I wouldn’t normally have done.
Pros
Employed
Cons
Term time only
Very good
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex12 February 2018
I done my apprenticeship through ESCC and it really helped me develop as a person inside and outside the workplace, I really enjoyed it but then decided to take on the challenge of university.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Wage
Old fashioned and provincial
Communications manager (Former Employee) –  Lewes11 February 2018
A typical local authority with an ageing political leadership and very hierarchical structure of management. It takes an eternity to deliver projects and grapple with processes.
Pros
Local employer
Cons
Traditional
Bad Bad Bad
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hailsham, East Sussex30 January 2018
Awful place to work, horrible managers, ask you to be productive then when you are they do not like it, i could only bare it for 8 months, loved the job but the manager was a sour faced know it all, who did not like to be challenged even when she was wrong. She would just move you to a different section. Nobody ever stayed there for long, glad i have left.
Pros
lovely clients
Cons
management
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne26 November 2017
Was only a volunteer over the summer in my local library but my experience was enjoyable and relaxed. There was never a bad day and you were told what to do. Hours were flexible around your life.
Pros
Helping out
Cons
Not enough volunteers
See my comments below
Client Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  East Sussex, England25 September 2017
Many years have passed since I left the job. I left only because I was able to achieve a more advanced and challenging position at another British local governmental authority.
Hard work good team spirit but pressure from the top.
Science Technician (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex24 September 2017
No two days are the same. It's hard work but can be very rewarding.
Being in education isn't what it once was and the demands of the job are sometimes unattainable.
Good team spirit.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Member of the Youth Parliament (Current Employee) –  East Sussex25 August 2017
While working with East Sussex County Council, I have always felt like a well respected and appreciated member of the team and have seen great co-operation and leadership prevail. I really admire the way staff pull together and get through such tight budget cuts and push for outstanding results with poor funding
Pros
free lunch and free travel
Cons
Time consuming
Good team work
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex23 August 2017
The position offered flexibility and structure, as well as a secure place to work in .
Teamwork played an important role offering support and encouragement effectively.
Management were always there to encourage further development of personal skills with constant training opportunities.

Fun team building activities were offered on a regular basis encouraging commaradarie among peers.
Pros
Lots of personal developement opportunities.
Hard work but so rewarding!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex9 July 2017
As a teacher I have experienced immense job satisfaction and every day I am rewarded by a comment or action by a child that makes me smile.
The hardest part of the job is the pace we work at and the amount of paperwork required to fulfil our role as a teacher.
Pros
Satisfaction of seeing a child make academic progress.
Cons
Paper work
Varied jobs to do
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex29 May 2017
My experience was positive, and the people were friendly with a diverse range of personalities. The company had plenty of training courses available and I was learning something new everyday.
Pros
You can learn a lot of new skills
Cons
Small chance of advancement
driving
driver/handyman (Former Employee) –  Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex14 May 2017
no comment, didnt feel as if i was really part of the team always left out of the loop and training ,didnt seem to be able to get the support that i needed and you are always in the wrong even if you know your not, they dont always follow there own policies or the procedures they set and change them to suit the situation they want to achieve
Fun workplace
ICT Business Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lewes, East Sussex7 May 2017
Nice and relaxed working environment with no dress code and flexibility on working hours. Colleagues are very approachable and don't look down on you if you have a lower job title or pay scale then they do. Not much money in the government so benefits are non existent or not very handy outside work. Free parking is also a pain.
Pros
Flexiable working hours
Cons
No benefits offered

Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Sussex County Council. Our community is ready to answer.

East Sussex County Council Reviews by Location