East Sussex County Council

East Sussex County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom74 reviews
Each day is different
Learnt lots over the years through other employees and good managers. Unfortuntely the Council regularly goes through a restructure so jobs/hours are not secure
School with sea view
A wonderful recently built school with sea view. Great relaxed feeling about it for staff and children. Designated areas for learning and space for happy learning to take place.
Spoa childrens services (admin officer)
Without doubt the worse place I have ever worked. Bullying, aggression and rudeness is rife within this department. Management don’t care less and seem to encourage this behaviour. Certain members of the admin team and senior caseworkers have been getting away with this for years. Senior managers and HR are not interested so anyone who raises awareness suffers passive bullying. Turnover of staff is massive. AVOID for your own health and well being.
Pros
Cons
Bullying and intimidation
Hope that they actually like you
After being diagnosed with anxiety and depression, I had a period of sickness. Upon returning, had to have an occupational health review which I have no issue with.

However, after the results were returned, I was called into a meeting and basically given a choice of handing in my notice (which they had already written for me!) or face disciplinary action due to the report saying there were no underlying health issues.

Feeling like I have no real choice, I took the resignation. I was then stripped of my entry card, refused entry to my floor to collect my things or say goodbye to my colleagues and escorted from the building.

The irony is that afterwards, I received the report that clearly states my anxiety and depression.

This was only one team though, I'm sure that there are many other teams where things like this would be considered as horrific as they turned out to be.
Pros
Decent training opportunities
stimulationg and refreshing.
Varied work
working as a team or inputting data by yourself

friendly people in the office

I enjoyed going to work because, It was stimulating and refreshing
Horrific Management - Health & Social Care Connect ONLY
I worked as a Customer Access Advisor for Health & Social Care Connect and both the manager and team leader were absolute BULLIES. Nasty, offensive, ruthless management with bad attitudes.
The mental health support, physical impairment and training support I noticed were all absolutely ludicrous - they just do not care about their staff - especially when they are going through a tough time.

I was told about one case where somebody had been going through a very rough time family wise and they hacked away at this person, knocking their confidence so much, it was heartbreaking to hear.

They shoved previous staff from pillar to post so heinously and I myself felt very ridiculed and embarrassed, even mocked.

Management continuously put me down very badly too, continuously very cruel and hurtful personal digs at me every single day, it was absolute torchure.

It messed me up in the head so much how they ground me down to nothing on a daily basis that I had to accept counselling after the job due to severe self-esteem issues.

0 support! And when given any little 'support' if you can call it that, staff are made to feel very bad about it!

The communication is also terrible and they seemed to have no idea what they were doing. I personally was always being told that I was doing things wrong, when I had been told by another senior member of staff to do it that way - and I still got the blame.

Processes changed so much as well and nobody was kept updated properly, which is why mistakes were made so frequently - causing harm to vulnerable adults.

The turnover is very
 - more...
Collaborative and supportive
The team are supportive and cohesive. Everybody tries to create a safe and friendly environment for the young people that attend Youth Club sessions. I enjoy my leader in charge role and the network of expertise that exists and which I participate in at ESCC.
stressful but fun and lackedd funding
I thoroughly enjoyed working at ESCC - at the time there was no progression for me. I would love to rejoin ESCC if there was an opportunity too.
I would recommend working here
Wonderful Experience
I worked with ESCC between 2015-2017 eventually had to leave due to personal commitments that time.
I really cherish my time I spent here. I loved working at ESCC. My managers supported me throughout and the time to time reviews really helped me progress in my career path.

The opportunities are unlimited for right person. We were going through Orbis transformation at that time and the management ensured honest, clear and positive communication throughout the process.

I was expecting my first child and the consideration and kindness showed by everyone around me was overwhelming.

I miss ESCC and wish this Local government all the best. Keep doing great work.
Pros
Cons
Long walks from station to reach county hall :)
Contractor
Good place to work, used latest kit and opportunities to advance if you wish. Management structure I found was good and worked with a supportive team
Terrible Management
Culture of discrimination that is hidden by shifty management. ESCC needs more money to provide an adequate service.

There is inherrant bickering as to how the job should be undertaken.

There are cuts to staffing and services which are dangerous to public and staff.

There is no controls over workloads.
It was a nice place to work, the project / training team I worked with were lovely.
Most enjoyable
colleagues and the role - training others to use a new system and supporting their professional development.

Least enjoyable

refusal of some staff members to accept / embrace change. It was challenging teaching people who don't want to be taught.

Being shouted at and blamed by unreceptive staff for a system they didn't want.
Inconsistent approach to flexible working
If your face fits and you are in the right place with the right people then advancement can be speedy. Mostly middle managers perch there for years, decades so you might need to be patient until someone retires. Friendly colleagues, not very diverse workforce.
Great people, poor salary
I found working for East Sussex delightful but unfortunately in the library service the full time salary was minimal and it was more beneficial to work part time.
Average
Working as a student cleaner didn’t have any staff benefits. For the amount we would do I definitely think the salary should be increased. The only good thing was it was 2 hours after college allowing me to focus on college work and other things.
Good management and supportive environment
Through the job I have improved communication and time management skills. The organisation provide a wide range of job related training sessions. Pleasant environment to work and supportive team members.
Great Team full of caring individuals
Fast-paced and caring team. Low pay, but it is what to be expected working for a county council. Management are extremely professional, approachable and understanding.
Beware of how adminstration teams are run!
I was fortunate to work with a great team. However, one flaw is that some admin staff are effectively remotely managed by an office manager. This means they often don't work in same location and you might only see them during your monthly supervision. The weakness is that that they often don't actually see what is actually happening on the shop floor rendering them poor at resolving issues.

In my time I also witnessed the subtle bullying of two admin staff by the office manager and her senior administration colleague. Accordingly, avoid the Adults Social Care Learning disability team.
Supportive and friendly
It was fine - a standard office environment, with normal work cultures, and expectations. I enjoyed and respected that everyone was there with the good of the community underneath everything they did.
easy
was very easy work, achievable in the time limit you were given. management was good, and workplace culture was friendly. Wasn't overly challenging, and turned about to be quite a social job.
Pros
easy work
Cons
not long enough hours
Challenging and provides opportunity
Large employer of different job opportunities#
Worked in 4 different departments so had good opportunities to develop knowledge, skillsets and attributes.
Pros
Low commute
Cons
Slow to innovate in some areas
Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Sussex County Council. Our community is ready to answer.