East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust

East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom8 reviews
I have done 2 of my placements in ESNEFT. Most of your colleagues will be nice and collaborative and also understanding. Some of the band 7s and 8s (not all) will have higher expectations than your current learning level. You might experience subtle discrimination. There is pressure since day 1 and even as a student you are expected to adjust unrealistically quickly. They expect students to help them with workload instead of supporting them enhance their knowledge and skills respecting each students' different way of learning/working. If you are young and fit like an athlete you might cope. This culture might exclude people who - for any reason - might not be that fit or need some additional support. Educators need more training and guidance regarding having students. My first experience affected my confidence and my learning. There are some exemptions though and fortunately during my 2nd placement I had a really good and supportive team and met some wonderful OTs (from band 5-8) there that guided me and helped me to enhance my skills. But still my educator was expecting to reason about how the service operates on my 3rd day. I wouldn't choose to work there. Seems to improving. It's mostly understaffed but no new position posts available. Time will show.
Cons
unrealistic expectations, lack of resources, understaffed
Nepotism abounds Directors to lower levels. Staff stretched ro breaking, budgets cut,regardless of effect on patient safety and service. Someone promised savings and you are bullied to make them - can't even buy stationery. Don't THINK about getting sick-you are hounded & bullied. Not even started with A&E being a mess, wards not coping. CQC report ignored as nonsense
This is just a snippet of my experience whilst working at the CCC and doesn't really give credit to how awful of a place it actually is to work. Be warned.

General takeaways from personal experience -

1. Service lead is a bully and does not care who they offend or upset.

2. Management inexperienced and are only promoted if they're happy to be 'yes men's to the service lead.

3. No real progression unless you fit the click.

Work -

1. Exciting until you've learnt the ins and outs. Then just becomes a mundane task performed an excessive amount of time throughout the day with nothing further to learn that will keep you interested.

2. Unofficial procedures put in place without prior consent from the trust.

3. Doesn't care for staff wellbeing as long as those targets are being hit!

Management-

1. Poor, unprofessional and lacking any real knowledge / experience on how to manage their staff properly.

2. Happily bypass the rights of their workers to benefit themselves.

3. Excessive amount of supervisors for the amount of staff they have.

4. Highly inappropriate with staff to the point they're made to feel very uncomfortable
Proceed with caution!

- 3 - 4 months from interview to start date.

- Pay for your own parking! AND! If you don't live far enough away, you'll have to park at the park and ride which will add 30 minutes minimum onto your commute time. (This was not mentioned at the interview).

- Virtually zero training and even when the training was given, it's impossible to feel confident in what you're doing as there's a lack of knowledge with most staff.

- Carrying out yearly checks on equipment such as (but definitely not limited to), defibrillators and portable pacemakers became a worryingly impossible task. My trainer(s) didn't know how to do it so passing that lack of information on was obviously impossible. Being told "Just make sure you do it properly next year" was the last straw for me personally. When dealing with life-saving, critical equipment, they should be much better regulated.

- In conjunction with the above, you can be personally held accountable for patients and staff getting hurt or worse.

- Miserable and depressing working vibe.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and is specifically aimed at the EBME department at Colchester and Ipswich hospital.
If you are young, adaptable & work well under stressful conditions this is the place for you. Be prepared to work across both Ipswich & Colchester sites.
Since merger with Colchester Hospital, all staff across both Ipswich & Colchester are under a lot of pressure to work across both sites.
Workplace culture was excellent before merger. Still some strong relationships within small departments.
Working within Opthalmology has not been a pleasant experience. It is a miserable and stressful environment. There is no job satisfaction, and staff are overworked and tired. There are no perks, unfair banded salary and very little chance of progression for support staff.
Pros
Cannot think of any
Cons
Not enough staff, work overload, uncaring, stressful, salary banding, very limited chances to progress
Responsible for planning and advising on the implementation of new and change processes to facilitate and realize quality of service associated with faster diagnosis
It has been a real challenge to think of cancer targets in a different way, whilst we have always looked to treat patients with cancer diagnosis as soon as possible we are now looking to inform patients who do not have cancer the very good news on or before 28 days .

Management has been very engaged and committed to bringing about change in practice and in Cancer service specifically.

Workplace culture was characterized by respect, kindness, improving together, professionalism, listening and involve and efficient practices.

The hardest part of the job was getting clinical engagement earlier in the project and the most enjoyable part of the job was the positive impact and experience in patient pathway.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3