East Riding of Yorkshire Council

East Riding of Yorkshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom74 reviews
No Hassle
In my time working for East Riding of Yorkshire Council I have not had trouble sorting hours out, organising holidays or being paid. Whilst my position is not one that requires me to have extensive contact with other employees at the council, any time I have had to contact anybody they have been very friendly.
Gynocentric and Misandrist Organisation
If your face fits and you can shout people down, you will get on well with East Riding of Yorkshire Council. If not, then possibly you won't. Longevity of service means nothing at the end of the day & if you are off work for more than one long term absence due to a disclosed congenital condition, then don't expect any sympathy from this organisation.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed large parts of my time & there are some very nice and pleasant senior members of staff within this employer but this service was hampered by periods which were not so pleasant & there are too many Managers whom don't listen. whatever the known outcome, even if they have been told repeatedly, who are too wrapped up in their own self-importance & delusional place in society, to do the right thing.

A gynocentric and misandrist company at times, where women are treated more favourably than men, men who are often on lower wages but doing the same job, rushed off their feet and where women have time to put their elbows on the desk and are able to discuss their plans for that evening or what they did the previous one and who do not put in the work, but gain promotion, more easily, from Officers, who blatantly have their favourite employees. A strict dress code imposed for men, where not wearing a tie is frowned upon but where women can wear virtually whatever they please.

This is an organisation where incompetent people take jobs that you have spent hours applying for, coming in through re-deployment, who just can't do the role but take liberties and who pass work on to you, because they just can't
 - more...
Very pleased with the service
Would work for the East Riding of Yorkshire Council again good pension scheme good team work regularly training courses good team spirt i played a important role had to work with different departments ie police housing socal services doctors families
Great place to build a long term career
If you are a flexible, pleasent work colleague, who works well with others and is adaptable, there are great opportunities to build a great career, some senior managers started as apprentices and have worked their way up the ladder here. Training and development is available and the pension scheme and other benefits such as work life ballance support lt tcareers.
Culture of bullying
Run away, don't walk. The company is run like a 'male' Swan, busy on the bottom at the 'business' end and not much happening on top just admiring the view.
Front line services stretched, pressured and understaffed whilst on top, mostly white males with 1 puppet woman, no equalities consideration at all. Underpaid, overworked, bullied that's why I'm on this site to get out.
An excellent proactive place to visit
A very proactive engaging professional place to work. I was offered lots of training opportunities and was listened to and empowered throughout my time there.
Good Company
Good company to work for, always helpful in every way, no matter which side of the job you work on, they will always help, very friendly start and work mates.
Bad
The worse place I've ever worked in. Unfriendly, inefficient & frustrating.
ERYC however are good to work for. They deal with any problems quickly. The staff are friendly & extremely helpful on the telephone.
This job role was a temporary position to cover a member of staff in the Highways support team.
Even though I was not in this position, I developed new skills and adapted to a new industry/environment. Using a computer on a daily basis I was able to build my IT skills further. I used many computer softwares on a daily basis, such as ‘IBM Notes’ and ‘Confirm Engineering’

I used the telephone for mainly internal calls ie form the contact centre and customer service centre, sometimes I take external calls from members of the public and outside customers.
good work place
Good to work there, it is a local job as I live in Withernsea, I don't have any travelling expenses, I walk to work and back home again so its very handy
No comment
Canteen facilities are a joke wagons are old and falling apart morale at depot rock bottom pay lousy well below cost of living employees get no support if any incident occurs public always right
Loved working with the children was very enjoyable
Great job really enjoyed it,most of the staff was helpful and friendly.
All the children I looked after all had there own little characters and made the job easy to do as everybody just did there best
Relaxed and happy atmoshphere
I enjoyed working for East Riding of Yorkshire Council, however, there was no employee development or training, and therefore retention of staff is poor.
My time in the council
working for the council has its ups and has its downs , i started off as a casual lifeguard and have worked my way up to a part time lifeguard but working full time hours
Varied Workplace Environment
Open up museum and art gallery.
Set up Till and prepare for day and visitors,

Greet visitors ,arrange and set up and clear meeting rooms.

Process sales of merchandise,

Assisted in exhibition changes to the art gallery clearing current displays and rehanging new displays.

Working from height using internal scaffold.
Pros
Local
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Great Emplyer
Good Place to work and develop into other roles. Also the training is fantastic. I was always treated fairly and with respect by management and other employees.
Pros
good money
Awful organisation. Stay away
Ok to work for if you are 'well in' with management but if you are only a casual worker and your 'face doesn't fit' forget it.
Some staff ok but the rest just backstabbers and moaners. Have never worked with such a miserable bunch of people in my life!

Loved the job and helping the public but just ruined by incompetant management and negative vibes from fellow staff.
Pros
Location and view from the office
Cons
Poor line management and 'jobs for the boys' culture
East Riding of Yorkshire Corruption
Hard to get a job unless you know someone who is interviewing or senior staff, Def it's who you know and not what you know, seems to happen in every department, if you brown nose you'll get far, if you want to keep your head down and graft, you'll get treat as subhuman. The management cause more grief and backstabbing because of favouritism. Some ok staff, mostly backstabbers and no management to help you.
Pros
Maybe hourly rate
Cons
Management, backstabbers, bullying
Good pension benefits, wide range of activities
Great package regarding pensions, discounts etc. variable different people to work with. Like anywhere, this can be bad or good. Learnt a lot regarding new software.
General Overview
Generally a good place to work. Management in general considerate to employees situation regarding domestic situations. (Partner terminally ill). Hardest part of the job was keeping staff as no inducements available.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
No overtime payments
Good benefits, terrible management culture
I would not say never work for the ERYC, but the culture around senior management was very oppressive. This however depends upon your department or area within the council, as not all are like this.
Pros
Staff Benefits and discounts
Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Riding of Yorkshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9