East Midlands Trains Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Now run by a younger staff who seem completely clueless!
Customer Welcome Host (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire25 June 2018
I worked for this company at the start of their franchise and saw a fair few changes over the years. Unfortunately, many of them not for the better. On the plus side, the free travel is great and the front line staff are mostly good people and there's a real sense of family when you're working.

Be warned though, the company (especially HR) is now run by a much younger and seemingly inexperienced staff who generally seem quite clueless. A family member applied for a job, got to the final stages of the interview and assessment process and then heard nothing for close to a month. When they contacted HR to see what happened, the company had no knowledge of the situation and said they'd look into it. I mean how do you not know if you're hiring someone or not if you clearly have a paper trial of their application, interview and assessment process? It's all a bit shambolic to be honest.

Approach with caution.
Pros
Free travel, good front line colleagues
Cons
Early starts, late finishes, generally incompetent HR department
Nice people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Around the network26 March 2018
There are plenty of friendly faces.
The work life balance is not there for management grades. Weekends and evenings are spent catching up.
Highly unionised company
Pros
Great pension scheme and free travel on network
Cons
Long hours, on call responsibility
Not good at all avoid if possible you will regret it.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northamtonshire17 February 2018
I worked for East Midlands Trains for 12 years, when stagecoach was awarded the franchise instead of national express things started to change for the worse, do not beleive what they say,there managers go out of there way to cut back the staff and use bullying tactics to a high degree forcing people out of work. The new technology is taking over the booking offices forcing downgrading by the management.

This is definitely not a good company to work for, they do not tell you about fatalities causing long delays, they do not tell you about the long shifts getting up at 4 in the morning and then working until 2 am
2 days later.

Yes you get discounted travel that is the only good thing about working for any train company plus the pension.

Don't do it you will waste your time they do not deserve you.
Pros
Discounted travel and pension
Cons
Long hours, tiredness and no support.
experience
1 week Maintenance team assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire11 May 2017
working at east mids trains. i learned all about how working for a big name company works. working in maintenance depot i got hands on and understanding of how trains are kept and functioned on a daily basis. staff are very friendly and supportive. defo would recommend to anyone and would go back if had chance.
Pros
fantastic experience and skill boost
East Midland Trains
customer host (Former Employee) –  Derby5 May 2016
Working for East Midland Trains was in one word hectic! You were constantly on the go and although you had contracted hours you were always expected to go way beyond what you wanted to do.
I found that the only way you could progress there was if you had family that worked there already.
Pros
free rail travel
Cons
Busy, productive and effective environment
Prosecutions Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham28 September 2015
Great people to work with. A "family". Strict Policies and Procedure due to the industry. Managers and Team members are encouraged to take ownership and develop within the role. A busy and highly productive office and working environment excelling in offering sound advice, quality products and services and an excellent customer experience.
Pros
Friendly supportive staff
Cons
Work life balance
ok
Revenue Inspector, Advanced Tickets (Former Employee) –  nottingham11 October 2014
good working staff, job was good did not like supervisor at all she left after me
Fun workplace
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Kettering, ENG23 May 2014
My time at East Midlands Trains was only for 2 weeks work experience through my school. The job consisted of helping passengers with information and to their trains. I had learnt new communication skills and had gained more confidence in my area of work. The co-workers were friendly and were there to help with anything that I needed. The most enjoyable part of this job was assisting a member of staff dispatch the trains from the platforms.
Busy enviroment
Area Station Manager (Former Employee) –  St Pancras, ENG3 April 2014
A busy environment to work in fast paced with no two days the same. A great amount of experience was gained in management.
Good benefits, poor HR Management
HR (Former Employee) –  ENG11 August 2013
Workload unreasonable, poor HR policies and procedures, significant turnover of staff in HR.
Pros
Good remuneration package.
Cons
Poor HR Management
Long Hours and not in Home town, But Enjoyable
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield11 February 2013
I live in Derby but this position is in Sheffield so doing 12 hours work days feels like 24 hours. But I enjoy the work I am busy and always interacting with the public. The hardest part of the job would be 10 hours of standing, being cold and being tired. My colleagues are friendly and approachable and I enjoy spending time with them.
Pros
free parking, free train fares
Cons
long hours, distance
productive and satisfying job.
SEMI SKILLED (Current Employee) –  LEEDS5 July 2012
11 hour days starting at 6am finishing at 5pm with 1hr breaks throughout the day.
Jobs are given by the team leader on a morning with estimated time scale, usually as a team we finish the job 2/3 days early which is a good feeling of accomplishment.
The team i work with are close knit and work as hard as one another.
Management of the company works, the workplace is run like clockwork.
I wouldn't say there is a hardest part of the job as i have been trained and taught by those many years my senior, therefore any problem i encounter we overcome as a team.
I could not pin-point a most enjoyable part of my job, due to the job as a whole been a more than satisfactory way to earn a living.
Pros
non (due to been a contractor)
Cons
no paid holidays/sick leave (due to been a contractor)