East Midlands Trains

East Midlands Trains Employee Reviews

United Kingdom24 reviews
Technology is really far behind, development is only offered to certain people, there's no room to grow within certain areas.

The benefits are pretty good with the travel passes.
Well paid and the job is always interesting and fast paced. Lots of room for progression to things like train guard/driver/ management etc.
Overtime always available
great place to work and the management and staff are all friendly and welcome. Fast paced environment with opportunities for enhancement if you wish. Great company would recommend
Joke of a company, terrible management, 25 years behind on workers rights, day consisted of 2 split shifts, some of the people are nice and genuine, but its all very political, was taken on as agency staff, training is a total joke, you're shown how to work the barriers and that's it, Lazy haphazard management, in a pass the buck (face fits) culture, faulty barriers, that randomly shut on the general public causing injury, due to serious lack of maintenance, gates that need resetting 10 times in a day, lack of staff, equipment that's old as the hills when you start you're given basic training, and that's it..
0 health and safety training, 0 training on company policy, not even training on what to do if there's a fire etc!

This company makes the rules up as it goes along, and expects you to know what they are, If you are unfortunate enough to suffer with depression, or anxiety, and management finds put you'll be made a laughing stock in front of colleagues, discrimination is rife here!
Pros
Pay, the day i quit
Cons
Bad, lazy, haphazard, management, Lack of training, etc etc, (face fits) work place
What an absolute waste of time! I applied for a managers position and with over 11 years' experience I felt confident that I would be able to carry out this role due to the similar role I had already been doing. I was invited to a group assessment day and we were tested on problem solving and multitasking but the tests were absolutely irrelevant and so complicated! Everyone in the group kept failing and no-one went through. People were so angry that they had wasted their time and that their actual work experience didn't count. Even if you done exactly the same role elsewhere and couldn't pass the test then you couldn't go through to the next stage. We were told by the staff to come in at entry level if we wanted to join their company! What utter nonsense. Whats the point having tests aimed at highly skilled mathematicians and physicians who would have zero Customer facing experiences! You dont need a complicated test to prove you can multi-task in the real world. *Do not waste your time!*
Pros
Free Donuts
Cons
RIDICULOUS Assessments
Disfunctional HR Department with a high turnover of staff. The very few that have worked in there leave and we are left with a poor calibre.

Learned that management roles are low paid and can attract the wrong skill set and a high turnover.

Bullying in the past has eased since certain senior people have gone although there is still a climate of fear.

Learned some skills but for some it was purely how to creep

It has a few good qualities and things have got very little better over the past 3 years but some areas require drastic attention in order to improve.

They dont seem to care about improving. Opportunism and incompetence seem to flourish and is not challenged!

Just sums up EMT and Stagecoach - Dodgy and no integrity!
Pros
Pension, travel facilities.
Cons
As description
East midlands trains are a very company to work for staff are friendly very helpful the pay is very impressive too and a nice atmosphere to work at the hours are very good as well also easier for me to get to the train station as well 15 minutes away from where i live
I hated this job .It was all who you knew and if your face fits .The managers are all off the street with little or no railway experience yet there telling you how things will be .It's been there done that and it's failed before but who are we to question .There is always overtime and your well paid if you can put up been spoken to like a child .
Pros
Uniform free travel
Cons
Long hours delays
Worked at East Midlands Trains for 5 years now and I still enjoy it despite seeing a massive culture change in how passengers treat and act towards front-line customer facing staff members (including myself).

Over the years, respect towards rail staff has diminished making situations that used to be easy to handle and at the start of my career difficult to contain and diffuse.

Great work/life balance however, semi-supportive management and to a degree you are your own boss.

Salary is excellent, final fixed salary pension scheme, free and heavily discounted travel, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme.

Annual pay increase (approx. 3.6% per annum) and four weekly pay means you get paid twice in one month sometime throughout the year - always a bonus!

Anyone who’s thinking about joining EMT, I would say go for it! Aslong as you have the flexibility and self-discipline to deal with the challenges of a customer facing position and shift work - then the job is for you!
Pros
Excellent salary, good working week, flexible roster
Cons
Challenging situations, abusive passengers
do not go there......if you get I'll they hang you tell you not to go in if sick but when you return take you to railway court 3 strikes and your out.....OCCY HEALTH run by EMT for EMT.....I had massive personal probs which despite me being very good at my job I was forced out...not sacked but got to the stage where the bullying and degrading interviews were just making things worse....shame cus I actually enjoyed my role and MOST of my work collegues.....don't forget money is no substitute for I'll health, like most big company's you are just a number.....that's why they are advertising for drivers...cus they are all leaving if you have a lovely relationship or like social life and family life....it will wreck it.......stage coach do not treat there staff with the respect they deserve....when it was Midland mainline run by national express, it was a fantastic company to work for....these at stage coach will go out of the way to make the job tougher for you.
Pros
free travel
Cons
bullys long mentally draining hours poor management of staff.
Very long time ago.
Great culture, close knit teams, room for creativity.

Low pay for roles.

Policy led.

Reactive work due to union strikes.

Good location.
Great staff and family feel. Good wage but would say not on par with the industry average. The hours are very unsociable and there is not much give and take in terms of flexibility.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Unsociable hours.
I worked for this company at the start of their franchise and saw a fair few changes over the years. Unfortunately, many of them not for the better. On the plus side, the free travel is great and the front line staff are mostly good people and there's a real sense of family when you're working.

Be warned though, the company (especially HR) is now run by a much younger and seemingly inexperienced staff who generally seem quite clueless. A family member applied for a job, got to the final stages of the interview and assessment process and then heard nothing for close to a month. When they contacted HR to see what happened, the company had no knowledge of the situation and said they'd look into it. I mean how do you not know if you're hiring someone or not if you clearly have a paper trial of their application, interview and assessment process? It's all a bit shambolic to be honest.

Approach with caution.
Pros
Free travel, good front line colleagues
Cons
Early starts, late finishes, generally incompetent HR department
I worked for East Midlands Trains for 12 years, when stagecoach was awarded the franchise instead of national express things started to change for the worse, do not beleive what they say,there managers go out of there way to cut back the staff and use bullying tactics to a high degree forcing people out of work. The new technology is taking over the booking offices forcing downgrading by the management.

This is definitely not a good company to work for, they do not tell you about fatalities causing long delays, they do not tell you about the long shifts getting up at 4 in the morning and then working until 2 am

2 days later.

Yes you get discounted travel that is the only good thing about working for any train company plus the pension.

Don't do it you will waste your time they do not deserve you.
Pros
Discounted travel and pension
Cons
Long hours, tiredness and no support.
working at east mids trains. i learned all about how working for a big name company works. working in maintenance depot i got hands on and understanding of how trains are kept and functioned on a daily basis. staff are very friendly and supportive. defo would recommend to anyone and would go back if had chance.
Pros
fantastic experience and skill boost
A company that looks after its staff and customers alike.

Dealing with customer issues, maintaining an on time railway.

Always try to go the extra mile when you can.

Management understand the needs of the staff.

A family of work colleagues.

To keep smiling when things go wrong

The look on peoples faces when you help them.
Pros
Free train travel
Cons
Working for East Midland Trains was in one word hectic! You were constantly on the go and although you had contracted hours you were always expected to go way beyond what you wanted to do.
I found that the only way you could progress there was if you had family that worked there already.
Pros
free rail travel
Cons
Great people to work with. A "family". Strict Policies and Procedure due to the industry. Managers and Team members are encouraged to take ownership and develop within the role. A busy and highly productive office and working environment excelling in offering sound advice, quality products and services and an excellent customer experience.
Pros
Friendly supportive staff
Cons
Work life balance
good working staff, job was good did not like supervisor at all she left after me
My time at East Midlands Trains was only for 2 weeks work experience through my school. The job consisted of helping passengers with information and to their trains. I had learnt new communication skills and had gained more confidence in my area of work. The co-workers were friendly and were there to help with anything that I needed. The most enjoyable part of this job was assisting a member of staff dispatch the trains from the platforms.
A busy environment to work in fast paced with no two days the same. A great amount of experience was gained in management.