East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Stressful
There's very little chance of advancement unless you are a paramedic, culture of bullying and parking is a pain. The staff are overall friendly but some of the managers are bullies and this affects staff moral.
Awful
By far the worst company I have ever worked for!!! Poor management who only look after each other. Always having meal breaks late due to impossible jobs given from control. Late finishes most days and no thanks given for this. Every single member of management seem to palm you off on someone else when you ask for help or advice. A total sham!
Can never give enough
Poor management most of the time, stressful job, little support, your best is never enough ! Can travel 50 miles just to start your 12hr shift and always late finishing.
Staff make the job great, but zero respect
Great group of peers to work with, who will all help out. However, enormous bullying culture from managers.
Always have the feeling that recruitment is more important than retention.
Poor Management and toxic culture
Too many managers who don’t add value especially at the head office. The recruitment team and HR team and training dept are a joke. The culture at the top is toxic and full of bullies which gets covered up. Sickness levels are massive as staff are driven into the ground. A few years ago it was not too bad but it gets worse and worse,
Don’t bother
No life always late finishing control quite happy to give you a job 5 minutes before your shift ends even though you’re 45 minutes from your base. No support from management always on your back staff morale so low, high turn round of staff no support when attacked and this happens regularly equipment poor or nonexistent don’t bother with this organisation if you can call it that
Pros
Cons
Long hours no support
A worthwhile and satisying job
A typical day at work involves responding to emergency calls as they come in to our main control centre, calls can range vastly from accidents to longer standing problems which patients feel the need to contact the ambulance service about. As a paramedic it is my job to respond to these and decide on the appropriate coarse of treatment and action to be taken, this could be a trip to the local accident and emergency department or it could be to arrange a GP visit.
The type of job I do cannot be learned in a classroom, life experience is essential for this job and I am continually learning which I feel keeps me on my game, the medical profession is continually changing with regards to policies and procedures and it is important to keep up to date with these changes.

Regular training and updates are provided to me through the ambulance service to allow me to stay current and be effective at what I do.

There are quite a few tiers of management but on a daily basis I only tend to deal with the station managers, I do feel sometimes that the more senior managers are a little out of touch with the physical side of doing the job as we rarely see them and some of the local procedures don't seem practical or workable sometimes.

I would say the hardest part of the job is dealing with the general public as people vary so much in there characters, most people are pleased to see us and respect what we do, however we are increasingly dealing with aggressive and violent situations involving drugs, alcohol and mental health. This makes the job that much harder as it often puts staff at
 - more...
Pros
Providing an essential service to the community
Cons
Long shifts which sometimes can be quite mentally draining
good team work
While I thoroughly enjoyed my job role and working with my fellow crew, the job was made harder with the unrealistic time targets and the amount of work expected to complete within the work day
Pros
great empathy with the patients
Cons
hard to meet time targets
Lovely place to work
I enjoyed my long time with EMAS NHS TRUST In both Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire wide.
I got to work with lots of the most amazing clinicians, and learnt alot of advanced Clinical Skills and Knowledge, miss the work so much. And want to come back.
Pros
lots of extras inc late, away from station & disturbed brakes
Cons
some very long blue light emergency distances to travel
Every day is different
A challenging role in very challenging times. Working for the NHS is not easy, it's busy, relentless and at times thankless, that being said it's also extremely rewarding. Everyday is different. every job is different, one job you could be bringing a baby into the world, the next could be holding a persons hand as they leave this world. It take a special person to work on front line emergency care, but it's worth it....as long as you can stay out of management politics it's the best job in the world.
Pros
respectful
Cons
Shift work
Shocking to work for
All in all emas needs shutting down. Management couldn't careless about the road staff.
Staff morale is rock bottom, and the management couldn't care less.

Road staff welfare, wellbeing and health is completely ignored by team leaders, team supervisors and all the other management. There's more gaffers than you can shake a stick at, but they look after their own.

The training department is shocking and slapdash at best. Tutors who use Google to find the answers to fairly simple questions asked by the students.

Question paper's for final exams that containt spelling mistakes that are written and marked by the same inexperienced tutor.

You are used daily on the road until you are fit to drop and then you are still pushed on further by obnoxious and rude control staff.

Hr and recruitment teams are like clowns, the left hand dosen't know what the right hand is doing. It's a wonder they manage to recruit and employ any staff at all.
Pros
Moving on and leaving emas, the best thing i ever did.
Cons
Emas is one big con.
It’s like a toilet it’s going down fast, see how long you can hang the rim.
Red tape suffocates the whole of EMAS
Moral has never been so low,

There is more chance of raising the titanic than resurrecting this hole,

I wouldn’t wish this job on anyone. I’ve seen to many leave, suicide, death before retirement.
Pros
You can escape with your qualification and be an asset somewhere else for better hours and pay.
Cons
This job will destroy you, your colleges and families
Great colleagues but terrible management
The job itself and the older experienced staff make the job very enjoyable. The management are poor and most of them are ex road staff but seem to forget that.
Pros
Colleagues and some patients
Cons
Management and some patients
Great colleagues poor management and career advancement
Working in control is a fast changing environment, communication is poor, management are unhelpful. There is a very high staff turnover for a reason. I wouldn’t recommend it to any family or friends.
Pros
Peers are supportive and great sense of humour
Cons
Long 12 hour shifts no gratification
Horrible to roadstaff
If you work on the road for EMAS, you are treat like second class citizens. Managers are lazy, unhelpful. Big stick culture. Unappreciated no matter how hard you work or how many lives you save. Rotas get worse each time change. Morale on the road is lower then I ever thought it would get
Pros
Job security
Cons
Always late off, overworked, no support, no appreciation for the hard work staff do, constantly micromanaged, big stick mentality, unfriendly rotas, no support... the list is endless
excellent
I love being a first responder and look to pursue this as a career in the ambulance service, the ambulance service provide a fantastic service to the community and work long hard hours which is something I love to do.
Secure Workplace
Not the place if you don't like working evenings or weekends - but a nice secure job with good advancement prospects if you stick it out.
Focused on goals
Personal development is incouraged.
Freedom to speak about improvement