East Lothian Council Employee Reviews

Bad management, incompetent staff
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Pinky9 November 2018
No real advancement, managers don't know what they are doing all just a box ticking exercises. You get no help when needed, very stressful. No job security.
Pros
Cons
Heavy work load
serving school lunches
Kitchen Assistant / Relief Chef (Former Employee) –  Macmerry4 October 2018
It is a lovely job working with school children something i have not done before and i really enjoy the job i just wish i had more hours in a day and i wish i could be cooking in the school i work
Pros
working with children
Cons
not enough hours
Good working place
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Musselburgh7 September 2018
I learned that I am good at working with people,helping other people and working very hard.
I found the hardest part of the job was making the food and preparing the food;you had to do everything in a certain way,or you would of had to start again.I enjoyed talking to the elderlys and keeping them happy.I liked working at this company because everyone is happy and everything is organised.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Medium hours
Job Satisfaction despite constraints
Emergency Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Macmerry22 June 2018
Like most councils cut backs get in the way of productivity. Time scales become unrealistic which can result in failure to give required attention. More asked for less reward. Unnecessary repetitive paperwork in a computerised environment.
Bullying culture in Amenity services management
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Haddington, East Lothian10 June 2018
I worked here as a seasonal gardener and was so glad to get finished at the end of the season! Very lazy bosses that you never see which causes staff to be in control of depots and at each other’s throats! Heavy workloads!
Pros
Free garden supplies
Cons
Watch your back!
Great work place
Plastering Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 May 2018
I learned alot and really enjoyed my time there i went from job to job doing General labouring for the plasterer I got put to work with I learned a lot about the job and what it involved
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
Professional and great for personal development
Depute headteacher (Former Employee) –  Dunbar, East Lothian8 January 2018
Working in primary education can be challenging at times but always felt well supported and valued. Many opportunities for delivery development and career advancement. A great region to live and work in.
Pros
Professional development
Cons
All that go with education in the 21st century.
Care home
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Current Employee) –  Musselburgh, East Lothian21 November 2017
Lovely place to work staff are amazing. Good training offered and updated regularly. plenty support from colleagues and management. I have gained so much experience working here.
Pros
Local
Good workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Musselburgh, East Lothian9 October 2017
Cleaning and clearance of Council's houses, Care homes, schools, in a good work enviorement. Helping dissabled people with cleaning of their houses with a high level of hygiene.
Pros
helping people
Cons
clearance of full house
Shambolic
Labourer (Former Employee) –  East Lothian8 October 2017
The management are clowns and I seriously mean it. Pass the buck and lie to one another. The staff otherwise are excellent however let down by a lack of leadership from above.
Pros
Cons
No progression, disorganised
Management a joke
emergency care worker (Current Employee) –  Macmerry25 June 2017
I have worked for ELC for 20yrs, weed out the managers who are just not managing, budgets overspend is all we hear, no wonder, I'd like to know what they do! Our service is brilliant, our team are amazing and dedicated, we are praised by other departments, but our own manager just can't see it, negativity, bullying, belittling you name it, they couldnt even do my job, higher up management who are non approachable need to speak with us, or this will be another dept down the tubes very very soon.
Pros
Dedicatated team
Cons
Managers not managing
organised .easy going
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 June 2017
I have a hands on can do attitude in the work place. I can work alone or as a team member. organised and good time keeper.i have always worked with the public.
Cons
i dont mind putting in extra hours if asked.
Little local council with drive
Quality Improvement Manager (Former Employee) –  Haddington, East Lothian11 May 2017
Great place to work, small enough to make a real difference with close working colleagues. Great commitment to customer service and great colleagues to work with and a stable working environment
Great work place
Groundsman (Former Employee) –  Musslburgh21 April 2017
Amazing people to work with and great pay they look after there staff and always great sector to work with.never had a problem with East Lothian ground sector
enjoyable place to work
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  East Lothian7 March 2017
I have had many different roles within East Lothian Council and although the recruitment process can be a lengthy time it is all worth it in the end. Excellent levels of support from managers and other members of staff team
Pros
lots of room to progress
Cons
could end up in Dunbar
Voluntary Advantage
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Primary School11 July 2016
I volunteered to help out at the school, so I could advance in my skills and have something to place on my CV and possibly progress to getting a job.

I didn't learn anything, I liked being productive and practical so I had kept the opportunity.
Pros
New Experiences
Cons
Long Days = Sore Body due to Standing all day
Good job, Bad staff/management
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  North Berwick20 June 2016
Been a cleaner for ELC just over a year. It was a perfect job to work around my family life. Constantly on the go (which I like).

Managment is the worst, no support, no help but are quick enough to get on your case about things.
Pros
Holiday Pay, Perfect Hours
Cons
Horrible management. No support.
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  East Lothian18 April 2016
Always had things to do, Enjoyed it. I learned a lot more about the feed for animals and animals in general. I love being animals so I really enjoyed this job.
Local Authority Estates Surveyor
Estates Surveyor (Current Employee) –  East Lothian26 January 2016
There is no typical day here, anything can happen from opening the first email to answering the first phone call, the day often snowballs from this. I am under pressure to manage an extensive portfolio while dealing with a whole range of client, customer and corporate queries. I seek to refocus my ambition and desire to provide a high quality professional service within an alternate sector.
Pros
holiday pay
Cons
unworkable case load
professional
IT Officer (Former Employee) –  Haddington, SCT15 October 2015
muti-tasking on many applications/ servers of the job at the same time - working contantly to time scales and deadlines