East London NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Large Trust with Caring Clinical Staff
Highly specialist clinician (Former Employee) –  C&H, Newham and L&D14 November 2018
The fact that ELFT is rated outstanding by the CQC is often shovelled down your throat when you start.
I worked (bringing with me 20 years of experience) in acute inpatient settings across three ELFT sites. Yes the overall rating was outstanding but the rating for inpatient was good - and much needs to be done to acknowledge this and improve.
However, I formed close working relationships with all clinical staff on the different wards I worked on ... but they are stretched. Very stretched but yet very caring.
Much emphasis was placed on cquin targets, understandably, but sometimes more focus on complex patients were needed above and beyond the ticking of cquin targets.
I found my department very resistant to even the smallest change. Low staff morale. I didn’t feel my expertise or experience was valued by my department.
I will not be looking for a substantive post within this Trust.
Pros
Wonderful caring clinical staff on the wards
Cons
Terrible treatment when overpayment was made by bank
Opportunities for career growth
IPS Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newham6 February 2018
Working for ELFT is beneficial in many ways - you will be surrounded by like-minded, driven individuals eager to meet targets and deadlines whilst boasting with commitment and enthusiasm. Its an environment where you are greatly supported and career growth is realistic.
Pros
No two days are the same
Good Workplace
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  London17 September 2017
Good working environment and colleagues. It is one of the few mental health trusts that have been rated as outstanding by the quality commission so it shows its dedication to providing high quality services.
Don't practice what they preach
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire3 September 2017
For a mental health trust they have a severe lack of empathy and suppprt towards their staff. Some good managers but the best ones seem to be leaving.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Lack of support within teams
Invests in their staff
Clinical Practice Lead (Current Employee) –  Mile End Hospital16 August 2017
ELFT is a fantastic trust to work in, in 2016 we gained 'Outstanding' by the CQC and were therefore one of the top two best Mental Health Trusts in the UK.
fun and exciting
Mental Health Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Luton11 July 2017
This is the best job I have ever had. I have been here two years and I wish I could stay here forever. Mangement are amazing and other workers are also amazing. Not your typical day to day job but its amazing.
Not applicable
Qualified Social Worker - Locum (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire6 May 2017
This was a locum post, based in two different teams, within Mental Health Services. Overall, I found this to be an interesting, valuable and good experience.
Pros
Flexibility in location and hours of work
Cons
No free on site parking
Nice team
Primary Care Liaison Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London16 April 2017
Poor induction and set up for new staff
Service could offer more flexibility
The staff team are very supportive
Quality of Senior management varies
The main building has no where for staff to take to break
Productive and interesting
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire16 March 2017
I worked with the trust in a very friendly and an organized environment. sometimes there are situations where you find missing values from the data set.
Non productive, no recovery
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire29 January 2017
There was no job satisfaction, no progression if not liked by the management if the colour of your skin is not right and especially when you have an accent even when you have more knowledge and experience than your white colleagues. Criticism was at the centre of their operation and staff development was in no existence. Staffing issues and management problem across Bedfordshire and Luton. Due to the inadequate of the trust, a lot of start left the organisation.
Pros
Bad organisation
Cons
Long hours, no job satisfaction
Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Bedfordshire District, Bedfordshire23 January 2017
brilliant company to work for, supportive and good benefits for staff.

Management are supportive and encourage work place progression
excellent trust to work for
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  East London, Greater London9 December 2016
I have been trained to take part on an interview panel to ask two questions of my own as a service user and help choose a person that would fit the job. I have learnt a bit more about how to be in an interview what it is like to be on the other side it has also taught me to be more confident. I really enjoy how my opinion matters and we as a team make the decision to choose the right candidate.
Autonomous, hard working, target driven environment
Energy & Sustainability Manager (Current Employee) –  East London7 April 2015
In a typical day I would be charged with ensuring the Trusts energy and sustainabilty plan which I created was being carried out and significant energy and waste reductions were being achieved across the Trusts estate. This might involve site visits, meeting with energy saving companies (ESCO's) or simply auditing all energy dta that as Energy manager I compile on a daily basis. On any given day I could be reporting this at board level or to my estates and facilities director/finance director.

The amount of experience I have gained within this role is immeasurable and with a lot of hard work I believe I have carved out a very specialised role within the Trust and one which is seen as indispensable.

Although my current role is very autonomous i have always been expected to work closely with others in the department as well as contractors and ESCO's to ensure I am reacing my CRC targets and the Trust is saving money year on year.
Pros
Access to a wealth of training and ways to improve my ability to do the job
Cons
Not enough focus on carbon reduction initiatives and lack of investment from a board level
A Fun Place Work
EA and HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newham, ENG24 November 2014
This organisation is a rewarding place to work. The staff are really nice and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job were the service users. This job introduced me to a lot special individuals, who exposed me to a lot. With this organisation you learn new things everyday.
Working within a big Trust which has been very challenging
Lead Administrator/Secretary (Current Employee) –  East London, ENG28 May 2014
- Multitasking; dealing with various duties on a daily basis
- Ensuring smooth running of the team
- Supervision of staffs on a monthly basis
- strong team player
- Most enjoyable part of the job is that when the team achieve and hitting all deadlines and targets
- Hardest part of the job is chasing the colleagues for information before submission of deadlines
Productive and outgoing workplace
Pharmacy Invoice Clerk (Current Employee) –  London, ENG9 April 2014
Taking and booking goods in, matching goods in to delivery paperwork. Dispensing medicines for patients.
Overall good team and good team effort wihtihn the department.
Pros
Good use of facilities
Cons
Working weekends
Challenging and interesting
Social Therapist (Current Employee) –  Manor House Station, ENG25 November 2013
My current role as a Social Therapist at Wolfson House has been an invaluable opportunity for developing skills required to work with individuals experiencing mental health difficulties. Many of our patients experience a range of complex mental health problems including paranoid schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression. As the patients can display erratic, impulsive and emotional behaviours our role is to manage distressing and challenging situations in a sensitive and non-threatening way to reduce anxiety and to promote effective resolutions. I am always aware of risk issues in the workplace and work with the multidisciplinary team to assess and minimise risk through individualised care plans to ensure safety for patients and staff.

My role also involves assessing patients’ mental state through regular assessment and 1-1 therapeutic engagement. It is important to establish and maintain a good rapport with the patients, and to show sensitivity, patience and empathy to aid recovery. I also use a range of communication skills, such as reflection, summarising, empathic listening to ensure service users are engaged in a meaningful way and receive treatment required for their well-being. We often facilitate groups to try encourage social interaction and develop various skills. The range of meaningful activities or groups organised include current affairs group, baking group, music appreciation group, board games and brunch club. I also help organise monthly ward trips for our service users to the cinema, museums, bowling as a way of slowly steadily integrating them into
  more... society, teaching them life skills and infusing hope for a positive recovery.

As an associate nurse we are involved in our patient’s CPA meetings, Ward Round Summaries, Mental Health Review Tribunals and Managers hearings. This gives me an excellent opportunity to see the care plan approach and understand the diverse knowledge all the members of the multi disciplinary team (MDT) has to offer. Furthermore, we must ensure patient records are up to date and are an accurate reflection of their presentation and care, or intervention provided.
Productive time working with an excellent team
Associate Director of Equality and Human Rights (Former Employee) –  East London17 May 2013
I had responsibility for training 3,700 staff, 180 different services operating across 57 sites in East London.

I provided telephone and on-line advice to managers as well as training to all staff . During my period at the Trust I made sure that the Trust moved beyond mere compliance to equality and human rights legislation this was achieved through recruiting and working with an excellent team of equality officers.

The hardest part of the job was raising funds to develop new and inclusive services the most enjoyable was managing staff, developing a range of training programmes and delivering training.
Pros
excellent work/life balance practice
Cons
Financial insecurity and having to operate on a reducing budget
enjoyable post
EA (Current Employee) –  East Ham23 August 2012
i have worked in hte NHS as indicated in my CV which is attached for nearly fourteen years. I thoroughly enjoy my post and find the work very rewarding but due to relocation, I need to move on.
Cons
flexibility
enjoyable work environment
substance Misuse Nurse (Current Employee) –  Stratford7 August 2012
Maintaining good liaison with General Practitioners.

Carrying out assessments, reviews, management and treatment of problem drug users receiving treatment from General Practitioners.

To arrange opiate substitute prescriptions under GP supervision.

Being involved in regular client reviews with GPs and clients.