East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom42 reviews
I would recommend it to everyone
I learnt about working with people

People management

Training students

Caring for women during pregnancy, childbirth and the post natal period

Having my own caseload of pregnant women
Workplace witn a toxic culture of bullying by senior staff. I left my job there because of being constantly anxious and stressed as senior staff members love to blame the junior staff for their own inadequacies and like lower level staff to know that they are less than them.
Pros
Pension and good working relationships with junior staff.
Cons
Bullying by band 6 and above.
Health records clerk Canterbury hospital- awful job, cramped depressing conditions, boring work, new manager transferred from another site who sits in her office with the door shut - no communication skills at all- doesn’t care about her team- talks to staff like dirt - lots of time wasting going on- very bad all round - Avoid
EKHUFT is plagued by a terrible bullying culture, favouritism and far too much middle management. They couldn't organise a teddy bears picnic let alone delicate, life saving operations. Managers run the service like a business and patients are just numbers to them, not people. Advancement opportunities are a joke unless you brown nose. Horrible organisation.
Budget was to low but upper management bullied staff to get work done

Now 2 gether solutions even worst cannot manage staff . untrained upper management doing jobs that require experience
I have worked at the trust for over 11 years and I have seen and heard things no one should experience in the work place. From the bullying to victimisation it starts at the top and filters down through staff member to staff member. And best of all it is accepted.
If you challenge the so called we care values you get disciplined, or bullied even more.

I wouldn't work here myself if I had the choice, and I know for a fact the reason for being so over stretched is the trust management bully the employees to resignation and then moan they have no staff. Only for the new recruits to be beaten down like their predecessors. Totally unacceptable and the management should be held accountable for their actions. We care values, you must be joking, dont care values more like.
Pros
Front line staff
Cons
Management, disgrace
I have worked here for over 20 Years . the staff have always been supportive and great to work with .
Over the years we have had many changes to deal with and most of them have not been supported by management .

I love my job but it has been made difficult to do with staff shortages and bad management
Kent and Canterbury hospital is a very busy hospital. It is very friendly and welcoming to both staff and patients. The hospital strives to ensure patients have a positive experience whilst undergoing their treatment. It is an equal opportunities employer and takes care of their staff.
Pros
Job satisfaction and team work.
Cons
Can be stressful as very busy.
Amazing patients some supportive staff but on the whole badly managed, bullies, lack of structure and extremely poor staff morale especially among band 2s . If the unit had a different ward manager it would help no end .
If you care about what you do, the standards to which you perform, the service you provide your patient, do NOT work here. Management treat their staff as commodities, and their patients as statistics. I loved my job working here, but was eventually worn down by the management culture, who discouraged independent thought, or suggestions for improvement. Staff were not encouraged to collaborate, which caused a divisive culture. Working above and beyond does not matter here, indeed for myself it was very much frowned upon.

Upon leaving, no-one wanted to learn why.
Pros
Your colleagues.
Cons
Poor management, poor working environment, staff not listened to.
A typical day at work can be satisfactory.
Workplace culture not so good.

The hardest part of my job is constantly justifying myself being blamed for things that weren't my fault

I cant say I enjoy working in this role/department.

What I can do is reflect on the positives. The previous roles/departments I worked in have been really good I thoroughly enjoyed working for the NHS prior to the present dept. It all depends on who you work with, you could enjoy the job but someone could ruin that and make your work life a misery.
Pros
annual Leave benefits
Cons
I would say nothing prior to the present - Bullying & Harrasment
It is hard work and the pay does not encourage you to work as part of the nhs. but you have to see beyond that and if you are a caring person who wants to feel like they are making a difference it is worth it.
Staff members are considered just numbers and easily replaced. The organisation makes unreasonable changes to staff contracts and expect staff to change base when they see fit.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Do not work in the Pharmacy department. The management are only there for their own good, and will make life as hard for you as possible. A lot of the staff are off with stress.
Pros
None.
Cons
No support from senior management.
If you value your professional qualifications and want to give the best possible patient care - do NOT come to work for this trust. Ingrained bullying, middle management not given any ability to make decisions, dis functional system. I have been in the nhs 20 years and never experienced a trust like this! I worked for them for 15 months- it nearly broke me.
This is a sick organisation.
Pros
Great frontline staff
Cons
Terrible management
Great team within the band 5s/6s and band 2s they create a lovely atmosphere. Some Management and nurse educator need more training in dealing with staff and confidentiality. A lot is brushed under the carpet respecting the way staff are treated, awful experience with some of the management as well as the nurse educator. If you have an emergency situation you can’t as they will pull you down for ages about it and really run you into the ground. Be cautious of how power hungry some management can be maybe some more training on equality for some higher up staff.
Pros
Good working team, good atmosphere with a few
Cons
Management and people higher up than you make it clear your lower.
General district hospital with poor staff levels in some of the wards. Nurses work very hard to deliver good care but often they get more than 10 patients.
Very committed to their staff and looked for staff opinions to improve the service of the healthcare.
Yearly surveys done to find out about issues within the organisation
I felt that there was a lot of stress and bullying at time to achieve targets and figures. I have worked 30 years in the NHS and feel that the patient is no longer considered.
East Kent Hospitals is a lovely place to work with amazing staff but the only issue is the progression in terms of career and opportunity is so limited
You have to be caring compassionate confident to do this work the hours are long in some departments not enough breaks it’s good place to work most of the time
Cons
Longer breaks
Ask a question about working or interviewing at East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7