East Kent College Employee Reviews

Students great, colleagues fairly decent, management are ridiculous
Learning Support Practitioner & English Booster (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent21 May 2018
For me personally, I could be anywhere. I started in the learning support centre, before moving to support in mainstream and finally bolstering GCSE subjects. I started off really loving my job and put myself for the college. Initially the LSP department was really strong and we really supported one another which managers and SLT really didn't like and would often find way to divide staff and this meant morale hit an all time low.

What I did not like about the college was managers were made managers because they were controllable, if SLT didn't think they could mould you, career progression was non existence. One particular manager could not manage and would always call on SLT to support them even when making enquiries, they just could not cope. Managers were usually people who have no experience and were the only ones to apply.

The college were constantly preaching about speaking up but when you do because it is important you are made to feel stupid and belittled. When I left I was asked for reasons why. Obviously not liking these answers I was threatened and HR bad mouthed me with each reference. Unjustified and full of lies.

The reason I did the job was for the students, I was very lucky to have some challenging situations that I worked hard to turn around and seeing them achieve their goals was amazing.
Pros
Students, colleagues in the department.
Cons
Management and SLT.
Productive and safe environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Dover23 February 2018
East Kent College is a fun working environment, I enjoy attending the campus, the staff are supportive and helpful. I am able to complete the given tasks at a specific rate, either before the deadline or by the given deadline required.

The safeguarding of the students are positive, the staff are able to protect the students from any non-registered students, and the public who are charity workers or visitors to the campus.
Pros
Supportive, Helpful and good selection of courses.
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Kent19 February 2018
Temporary external and internal photography jobs offered to students as paid and unpaid work experience. I also did some article work for the local Folkestone Heritage Newsletter, as well as working with the Folkestone Herald (Kent newspaper) for arranged student work (photography to go alongside articles / our own student page in the newsletter).
supportive employer
Head of Department (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent3 February 2018
East Kent College has a genuine culture of care and fulfillment regarding employees. Success and hard work is celebrated and it is very supportive for those that need help.
Like all large organisations
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom31 October 2017
Focus is on growing, expanding and bringing in. It is an educational establishment like all other establishments. Satisfies the demands of our Government.
Pros
long holidays
Cons
excessive demands
Underhanded bullying workplace. AVOID!
Learning Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, Kent18 October 2017
“Click” mentality & victimisation
Literally like working in a school full of bullies.
Pay is appalling for what is expected of you.
Seriously avoid this place!
It's a great place to study
Teaching Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  New Romney Little cubs nursery19 August 2017
It's a great place to study, I spent four years studying there and at times it was stressful but the staff as in my tutors were very supportive, and they never doubt you, they give critical feedback, which is good because that's how you learn.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
all day
Great Work Place
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sandwich, Kent26 June 2017
I have worked here for over 3 years now, i have been welcomed into my team form day one and to this day it feels the same.

i would recommend anyone looking for work to give the further education a go as you get plenty of great rewards along side the great work place
Nominal Ledger Clerk (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, Kent6 June 2017
Good place to work, nice colleagues but a lot of turmoil due to government funding and continual redundancy programs due to funding.
Heavy workload and no loyalty from management during my time but hopefully that is different now
Pros
Work environment
Cons
indecision
hard work
College Student (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent2 June 2017
here I done my hairdressing course and completed a level 2 NVQ. I learnt every day and had to bring my own clients in from outside, including family and friends.
started off well ended up pressured
Multi-Crafts lecturer (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent, UK22 February 2017
work here was enjoyable until taken over by East Kent College then all staff pressured to perform at unreachable rates by high management, left due to disagreement over use of my signature by others.
Pros
helping students and great team members
Cons
pressure to over achieve from principles and managers
A rewarding and exciting job.
Learning support practitioner (LSP) (Current Employee) –  Folkestone20 November 2016
I have worked in many different departments, helping students with various learning difficulties and disabilities. I had a great team of co-workers who always kept each other and the students as their top priority and the overall atmosphere is pleasant and friendly.

The hardest part of my job is the amount of change that happens within the college and the amount of different training and tasks we must adapt to, however my favourite part would also be that i have gained much valuable experience in many different places within my work and had the opportunity to work with a range of different people in different education subjects.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Low pay
Fun workplacement
Classroom assistant (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs19 September 2016
I think east Kent college was really good I enjoyed going to college and learning new thing and I was also making new friends and the teachers where really helpful through out the 2years I was going to college to do childcare
enjoyable
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs31 May 2016
Working in there, was good, everyone was nice and easy to get along with. Learnt so much.
Had my reason to leave unfortunely as i had to
Considerate, good team, under funded
Automotive Light Vehicle Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Dover1 April 2016
I enjoy the Job but the day can sometimes seem long. Varied students from 16 up to 50 years old or more. More funding would help to bring students to a more level playing field with franchise apprenticeships, but the quality of the students leaving is very good.
Good comradery amongst the staff and willingness to help made the job enjoyable.
Pros
Good working atmosphere
Cons
Hours with travelling could be long
fun workplace
Business Admin Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, ENG6 January 2016
loved working here, great start to my career all staff was very supportive and did all they could to make sure that I was able to achieve my career and progress to get my level 3
learning to work with students who have lots of different needs
Teaching Support Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Folkestone, ENG10 November 2015
Whilst i am enjoying learning and gaining new skills working with lots of students and working out strategies to support them. I want to challenge myself further now that i am sure that this is the area i want to work in.
Pros
support offerd
Cons
not a challenging enough position
Vice President
Vice President of Student Union (Former Employee) –  Maison Dieu Road, Dover, Kent8 June 2015
Being a Vice president in College was fun because I need to make students in college happy by listening to them and doing that job which the students asked me to do. Also, benefits that I had from being a Vice President is being responsible, willing to learn and most thing of hard work! The hardest bit of all is speaking to students in front of the class.
Busy and varied workplace
Marketing Officer (Current Employee) –  Broadstairs5 November 2014
No two days are the same, as marketing requests come in from every department of the college, across three campuses. You learn quickly on the job, as there's usually a tight deadline.
Pros
Dynamic and exciting sector
Cons
Heavy workload and short deadlines
College of Further and Higher Education
Divisional Admin for Education & International (Former Employee) –  Broadstairs, ENG14 September 2014
Busy and established college. Large employer in Thanet.
Has had numerous restructures in recent years, now taken on an additional 2 campuses and main business hub.