DW Fitness First Employee Reviews

Poor work hours and equipment old
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire20 February 2019
Working in the gym is like working in a second hand shop the cardio machines are hand me downs from clubs that have closed...3rd hand in some cases..don't even ask if there's a chance to get new basic equipment...
Management needs a prescription for a spine and a set of balls
No support from heads of departments..all about the sales and bugging members for leads constantly.
Sales,sales sales and putting up your membership before send out emails about the increase well done DW..
Not a great place to become a pt..take your money and leave you to it...

Take a job at your own risk ...unless your a masochist
Pros
Going home
Mind-numbing
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire19 January 2019
For anyone looking for a stimulating job this isn't it. The store I worked in was extremely quiet, hardly any customers so majority of the day was spent standing around. Management, however, acted like customers were pouring into the place which I found laughable. The store was poorly managed and completely overstaffed. I had to leave after 5 or 6 shifts because I couldn't stand it any longer.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, boring, overstaffed, poorly managed
Awful place to work, avoid
Rather not provide (Former Employee) –  Rather not provide13 December 2018
Management are not qualified and extremely unprofessional. Area managers and hr openly talk about how to get rid of people, and was even told "There's always a way to get someone out." The place is very corrupt, as the hr department always back their management, regardless of whether an employee has a valid case.
Club management are very clicky, and treat other staff poorly.
Training here is very poor, and there is no clear career progression. When vacancies arise, managers demonstrate nepotism/They take on their favourite rather than those who are qualified for the job.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No set rota, no stability, no work life/ home life balance.
Enjoyed the job, not the Company
FREELANCE PERSONAL TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Newport10 January 2019
During my time at DW Fitness, I have enjoyed the job itself however I do not feel I can make a sustainable living working here, as well as this I found that the management poor as well as this communication between certain members of staff is also particularly poor
Pros
good job experience
Cons
Poor management
Terrible management and Duty of care for employees
Membership Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Derry, County Londonderry9 October 2018
Terrible management
Zero support
Targets are able to be achieved but you are not appreciated for your efforts instead you are then reticuled for other small targets such as daily calls that you were not able to hit as you were too busy doing other things such as hitting sales targets to pick up the slack for the rest of your region
Pros
Wages
Cons
Work environment, support, management, duty of care
Awful managment and a joke of a salary
Front of House (Current Employee) –  Manchester8 October 2018
The place is run by rude desk sitters at HO who clearly do not live in the real world when expecting you to run around doing checks and other daft jobs but NO PAY RISE. The place is a joke and the staff turnover is ridiculous haaaaaa I'm not surprised they leave when it's a pathetic childish place to work. It's one rule for one and another for everyone else, the day they stop treating everybody as replaceable and learn to value their staff will be a day too soon.
Pros
Free gym membership that is alll
Cons
Rude managment, awful salary, no value to staff
fun place to work.
Front of House Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd22 October 2018
Really fun place to work. Staff have a great laugh whilst working hard. Very sociable environment - good banter with members. free gym membership. free fitness qualification training for level 2 and level 3. suits hard workers, sociable people. you need to be able to multi task.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
need to be able to multi task
Average Workplace
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire15 November 2018
Felt like a clique. As a new person or someone who is not like them, I felt very alone and shy. Made my job very difficult. PTing was difficult and was very much in it for free labor. PT to Client ratio was terrible and finally, no training was given.
Pros
Free Gym Membership
Cons
Management Clique & Non-interactive.
Awful place to work for! Massive turnover in staff.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil17 October 2018
Expected to make 30 answered calls, as well as running bar, front desk and signing people up. Management poor. No appreciation! High volume of staff turnover. Expected to do loads of different jobs, as well as your own and then get a bollocking if certain stuff ain’t done.... AVOID
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Staff, management
Lovely place to work
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil17 November 2018
Best place iv ever worked absolutely love my job members r so friendly staff r really nice manager's r great always there to help and R fair with everyone it is a busy environment but a lovely place to work never had any issues
Pros
Meeting lovely members and working with fantastic people
Staff Communication and structure
Fitness Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire4 December 2018
I believe in looking after you staff so they look after your business.

Need better structure with rotas

Needs t be more organised

More respect for highly qualified staff and used for full potential
Pros
Free training
Cons
No Structure - poor rota management
Great Team and relaxed environment
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester3 January 2019
Relaxed working environment that allows employees to develop the customer service and ensure the highest quality of customer service is given. Great management and overall good place to work
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Poor pay
Horrible
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent6 November 2018
Don't work here and don't go to their gym. Super artificial people,
staff where like annoying yobs off the street, disgusting place.

They constantly break rules.

It's a real nightmare and they pay peanuts with unrealistic targets
Pros
Free memebership
Cons
Staff and company is an embarrassment
Cleaner
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire26 October 2018
Was horrible working at DW sports but the cleaning team was very nice to work with, mangers was very clicky and very strict I wouldn’t recommend working there I had lots of customers saying how hard I was working but you don’t get noticed with management.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
My review
Membership Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon6 February 2019
The majority of the staff are very friendly & hard working,

There are weaknesses in the DW training/mentoring processes.

I enjoyed working there but needed to progress my career.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Unsociable hours
Pro Active
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London19 February 2019
Can be fast or slow depending on the time of day. It can be motivational and satisfying to help others meet there goals. but overall a club is only as good as the team that is working.
Pros
Birthdays off
Cons
Poor Management
Avoid trust the reviews
Management (Former Employee) –  North West22 August 2018
I have been in the fitness industry as management for numerous years and the senior team, especially north west area managers are awful , one in particular is a bully and will use any trick to micro manage both yourself and your team be careful not worth the stress and sleepless nights
Pros
Fitness first
Cons
ABM north west
enjoyable workplace with good people with advancement opportunities
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire28 July 2018
Warm, welcoming and keen to train. A friendly store where a retailer worked in tandem with the gym, very quiet for a high street however so can occasionally become boring or slow where cleaning is all that's left to fill your day and be productive.

Huge requirement on variety of KPIs; from insoles, to shoe care, to socks, to nutrition, to passes, to gait analysis, could often feel like you were offering too much to customers which lost you credibility.

With a small staff core you become like a family, work hard for each other and it creates a great dynamic. A very attentive management which was difficult to leave behind, the people make the place run and ensure that staff are at their best.
Pros
Training from brand representatives such as Nike, Asics, Adidas
Cons
Not many staff so when staff call in sick you're limited.
fun and very welll organized
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire19 September 2018
They turn you into the best sales assistants and they believe in you a lot, they stick by your side and they will tell you if you do something wrong, very well organized and the management is amazing
Pros
fun work place
Cons
not good pay
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil24 June 2018
I should’ve wrote this a while back but this is genuinely the worst place I have ever worked! Managers are up them selves and in the short period of time I worked here other members of staff have had very similar experiences , a few of the staff have been sworn at and it’s got to the point where some have been left in tears. The treatment to staff by managers is absolutely horrendous! There’s also no training involved you are thrown straight into work without any knowledge of the shop, no one is treated equally the managers seem to pick favourites.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Too many to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DW Fitness First. Our community is ready to answer.