DW Fitness First

DW Fitness First Employee Reviews

United Kingdom263 reviews
Positive working culture but poor hierarchy
Day to day work environment was made positive by your co-workers. However new ideas proposed up the chain of command were often squashed due to head office rules and policies and a 'that's the way things are' mentality.
Poor management and bullying
worked here for about 3 months as a GA and was miserable, my first pay-check was a month late, the management is poor often changing around shifts without notifying you and you cant get out of it unless you can get someone to cover, also had shown up to work only to be told it wasn't my shift multiple times. Some staff were friendly but for the most part front of house look down on you and sit on their phones all day. I was targeted and bullied by one particular member of staff at FOH who after leaving I found out from my old co-worker is openly racist and homophobic. There was always an insufficient amount of cleaning supplies and would have to wait weeks till they were finally restocked. The hardest part of the job is the fact that you're expected to clean WHILST customers are there often leading to having to clean showers and changing rooms over and over again. The amount of work you do isn't worth the pay.
Really bad company to work for
I was promised many things at my interview in regards to what the company offered and my job role but was never delivered! I was interviewed by someone who didn’t even work for the gym and I didn’t find out until after I started working. Poor management! I have at least 3 health and fitness coach manager since I started and was only there for 3 months. No structure or support. Worst gym I’ve been to!
Unhealthy environment
I worked for FF for 7 years and it was a great waste of time. I only realised this when I left after huge amounts of bullying that was never dealt with and not only with me. Health and safety was never taken seriously and was falsified all the time. Staff treated the place like a playground and I could see why as management were constantly a joke, turning up when they wanted and doing nothing to fix issues. If you are looking to get paid well, further your career do not work here. But you can find that out for yourselves.
Great place to work and I enjoyed my time there were many perks to the job including the following
Free parking

Free gym use

Fun

Competitive

Great gym staff

Opportunity

Supportive management
Great experience and fun
I would say this job is great and you learn a lot from this. I have developed massively as an person in terms of confidence, communication and adaptability.
Management are fair and work well together with their staff
Not very busy but can be fun
A typical day includes: tidying clothes, making sure they're in the right place and hung by size, a major focus on customer service and sales. It can also include working the tills, handling cash and upselling. There's a lot to learn and some staff members have more knowledge on some things more than others but we have a specific website designed for us to learn about our products.
Worst company I've worked for.
Culture of bullying among managers, who are all far too immature and lacking in people skills.
Most managers are lazy and treat staff appallingly...

There is no support or genuine opportunities for career advancement.

The job itself was great & there are some really lovely members. It's just a shame that the company and it's managers are so poor.
Horrible company to work for! do not fall in the trap!
Management are horrible/unprofessional lack in training and true life skills to deal with all types of people! was not paid properly last month and still not paid what I am owed yet was told would be paid! forced to take part in training classes whilst at work an hour to try get more members to join time without considering your mental or physical health..lack structure and bully/threaten staff without considering their mental wellbeing!
There is an I in team
People I worked with where something else, good luck trying to speak to them about anything you are interested in. The manager sure as heck loved to pick on me with their "customer service quiz" Someone in there got 10% and got away with it while I got like 50% and go punished for it.

Good job DW would work again, imagine having a manager that quizes you and chooses favourites.

Love it!
It was a bit okay
Management wasn’t amazing, I got bored and didn’t have jobs to do I was best at shoe care and I felt like the management didn’t do anything to help the store
Head Office management awful
We were all told that our jobs were secure and that we would be getting a refurb gym, even showed us the plans and new staff structure. Then just before Christmas we were all of a sudden called in for a meeting and we were made redundant. Another 2 clubs were also closed down around the same time. Higher management dont care about staff. You are just a number. Dont work here.
Good experience
At DW I really enjoyed my job as a sales assistant and supervisor. I believe it has giving me a lot of confidence with customer service and has really helped me become a good sales person and manager.
Don't bother
I worked for dw for just under a year but it felt much more than that after a miserable 11 months I was relieved to escape.
I'm fairness, had the manager that interviewed me not transferred stores I probably would have had a better experience. However after a miserable period of sharing tj responsibility of looking after the store with another jobsworth 0f a supervisor, feeling very overworked and underplayed and in actually hindsight bullied, the same person was then given store manager role because of a family grievance and the area manager took pity on them. The bullying continues and many staff were miserable working for her. Complaints go unnoticed and staff are not listened to. Anything for an easy life.
Pros
Non
Cons
Bullying in the workplace, complaint procedure not followed
Dont bother
Stressfull, underpaid,long hours,and totally shafted me,accused me of something i didnt do, but they had no choice but to sack me they said,but i know deep down who done it and so did the higher management
So much stress, wouldn't recommend this role
Ive never been put under so much stress working for in the membership role, its all a numbers game, management higher from above put so much pressure and if your not making the sales, you don't make the cut, even if there has been problems with lack of staff or bullying or another gym opening THEY DO NOT CARE, they do not look after sales team at all !

They don't take things seriously and they say they care about you progressing to the next level but there isn't any support in that area to help you. if you want to sit at a computer and feel pressured and stressed all the time then this a great job for you but i wouldn't recommend, i did a lot of hours and worked so hard and that didn't get recognised, not even another job offer in another role was offered to me when they said they wanted to keep me on.

the only pro was the people i met, i made some amazing friends in members and colleagues and the atmosphere in other departments that is the only thing i will miss about this company.
Pros
People
Cons
they dont care about their staff
The worst company ever
The worst company to work for ever unless you get in with a click who even then they are horrible to each other, bully you out of your job! Do not apply! Disgusting place to work
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Condone bullying
Hard work
Really fast paced hardly any training given at all which was not good they expect a lot from you but don’t give anything back which is not a great way to keep
General assistance
Not good company change shift s without asking or telling me turned up for 5.30 am start to find out rota changed. Manager s and supervisor s are to young to run this gym .staff don’t last long .
Pros
Cons
Everything is wrong
Productive, fast paced and fun workplace
A typical day at DW was in the morning make sure my department was cleaned and well presented for the customers, making sure my colleagues got help if they needed it, assisting customers about any questions they had. I learned a lot about customer service and working with customers face to face. The management team were very Relaxed when they needed to be but also very strict and forward with what needed done which made working there very enjoyable, the management were also very engaging with staff and mad it a very open environment to work, the hardest part of the job was at Christmas time as being in retail, in a sports shop, you've got so many people to deal with at once but made the work day go very fast, the most enjoyable part of working there was definitely the working with such amazing staff and also fulfilling customers needs.
Stressful but worth it (sometimes)
While working at DW, I found myself treated rather poorly by some of the staff and even some of the members and unfortunately when faced with people who decide to tell lies to stir up drama, there is no punishment exercised on those individuals. While the General Manager is the best member of staff there, unfortunately a good few of the other members of staff ruin this.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Awful staff
Ask a question about working or interviewing at DW Fitness First. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9