Durham County Council Employee Reviews

great happy times learned alot
Gardener/Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Durham21 May 2018
realy enjoyed my 14 years here learned new skills worked in different areas management were poor biased and my move by tupe realy hurt by my solection
Pros
great job realy miss it
Cons
biased management
Best Place so far I have been for work
Durham (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham10 May 2018
My experience haven amazing in Durham County Council. I had a great support and training. Also had a team which constantly supports each other. Great team work.
love my work
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crook, Durham27 April 2018
i currently work a shift rota my duties include supporting and promoting independent personal care bathing oral care moving and handling mobility needs nutritional individual nutrition social interaction and stimulation individual person centred care plans health and safety techniques risk assessments comfort ability and happiness hopefully i have numerous certificates to follow up all of my practices
Pros
local
secure
School Crossing Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Consett2 April 2018
fantastic terms and conditions. secure permanent work. good holiday entitlement. flexible working pattern. uniform provided. great line manager. secure job
Good employer
Management Support Officer (Former Employee) –  County Hall13 February 2018
Average working conditions and good moral. Excellent salary and good career progression with an excellent bonus scheme. Offers flexi and buy time for busy mothers and families, excellent car park and Facebook account scheme.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Work load
Cleaner/Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Peterlee, Durham1 February 2018
Worked in a school which was closed down loved working here and was very upset when I had to leave. I also volunteered in the classroom. I was also a governor.
Productive workplace
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham30 January 2018
The Council are supportive when it comes to personal development, I have recently been allowed to complete a management qualification (CMI Level 7 - Strategic Management).
The hardest part of the job is the time pressures to complete tasks, often we are given too short deadlines that are very difficult to achieve. However, it does allow for you to focus on the task and work with your team to hit these deadlines. The enjoyable part of the job is the variety, in any day you can be dealing with members of the public, Councillors, external contractors, finance team, senior management as well as liaising with other internal teams.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
bureaucracy
Fun and great place
Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham19 January 2018
Loved working for the council made a small family for life at the centre in that it is a friendly and great centre for teamwork always up for a laugh but serious when doing the job
Challenging
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sycamore lodge11 December 2017
My job can be very challenging some days, exciting and always something new to learn. I love meeting new people and working in a team. I love sharing new Ideas.
Pros
Short and late shifts
Cons
Night shifts
Durham county council
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Durham4 December 2017
They are very friendly people who go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. There is a very relaxed atmosphere and they always on hand if you need any help or advice.
Pros
short hours
Cons
Foster carers are not supported by the council, jsyk.
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  Peterlee17 November 2017
hang you out to dry at the first sign of trouble. All about targets and reducing costs, not protecting children. We all know this is an impossible task, all they are able to do is react to the harm that has already been caused.
Public service
Receptionist working within a local leisure centre (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham16 November 2017
Working for public sector for local authority great opportunity to work with the general public meet all generations young, old and inbetween.

Only down side working unsocialble hours as being a receptionist for leisure centre opening hours 9 til 9 monday to thursday friday 9 til 8 weekends 8 til 4
Good to work for
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lanchester, Durham14 November 2017
I enjoyed working for Durham County Council, and would of remained there had their homes not have closed. They were a good and reasonable company to work for.
Pros
Good working hours, good pay
Cons
Homes closing
HR Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Spennymoor, Durham14 November 2017
Good place to work, friendly and professional
Recently started and am really enjoying working here
Flexi policy available to all employees, on site restaurant
Excellent training, wages
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Derwentside10 November 2017
Worked for them for 13 years, enjoyed my time with them, excellent training, superb manager, very supportive.
Very family orientated place to work.
Able to change hours if they are unsuitable.
Pros
Trying, advancement, wages
nice place to work
Domestic Cleaner Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Durham27 October 2017
Organising the cleaning of the school .Learnt hazards of everyday cleaning products, how to use heavy duty cleaning machines. I was in charge of cleaning team. Hardest part was the big clean when school was closed at summer . The best part was the end result achieved all ready and clean for the new term.
Ok while it lasted
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Seaham19 October 2017
Council will do what they want. Being made redundant as part of cut backs.

Senior leadership making bad decisions in their protected salaries which leads to support staff suffering. Thanks!
Pros
Lack of authority in the workplace
Cons
Do what they want
job was good did it from my own home
shared lives carer (Former Employee) –  Spennymoor, Durham9 October 2017
a typical day for me was getting up on a morning and making sure my client was happy. i learned a lot with the different type of people that we had in.
Easy going place of work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham8 October 2017
My day consists of making sure the environment in which i work is clean and tidy, Making sure that classrooms toilets etc is free from germs and ready for the day ahead. I have to make sure i am organised in what i do so that all jobs are covered.
Pros
Friendly place of work
Cons
not enough hours
Offers only a stepping stone in my career.
Maintenace (Former Employee) –  Meadowfield1 October 2017
Poorly manage in maintenance operations.

No training available, especially if you show that you have a good head on your shoulders. This just makes you look better at the job you want to progress away from.

Long term employees have become very bitter, but they remain here as they've invested into the LGPS.

Favouritism is rife for those whose face fits.

Don't become a member of the white collar worker union. They enjoy free lunches with the top brass while they attempt to protect your future interests.
Pros
I'm afraid there isn't any. And I'm not bitter.
Cons
Really!