Durham County Council Employee Reviews

Poor for low grade staff
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham16 October 2018
I worked for DCC for ~10 years. Within that time frame progression was very limited. I have personally been a part of 6 restructures over the years. Job security isn't the best as you can never be sure when the next restructure will come along.

Job culture is appalling. Top heavy structures with very few support staff leave low graded staff underpaid and under-appreciated.
Poor work place
Clean and green (Former Employee) –  Medowfeild11 September 2018
The only good thing about working for the council is the pay. The supervisors do not care about your saftey they turn their phone off after 8 am and go home or do what ever they do it's very corrupt. The more you do the more they expect of you. When you take a holiday and come back it is like you are being punished for taking a holiday. They do not listen to a thing you tell them or report to them. If you ask for ppe you are left waiting 2 weeks to get some and you have to remind the supervisors nearly every day to get you them overall the supervisors are curropt the place is also curropt not a good place to work at all in the green and clean sector
Pros
Pay
Cons
Clean & grean
Work
Welfare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham14 August 2018
Worked for a school in the Durham county council
Learned a lot about what I had to do the school put us through the training that was required and what would further me
Good time working there .
Highways Development (Former Employee) –  Durham1 August 2018
It was work experience so there was no money involved but overall I felt like it meant something about how I felt with civil engineering and changed my mind about what I wanted to work as . But now I’m not too sure as really enjoy IT so it’s a possibility
Great working enviroment
Area Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Durham19 July 2018
A fun and friendly working enviroment to work with good honest hard working staff who will be willing to help you out in your practice.

flexible working hours.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham8 July 2018
What you expect at the council. Not much money. But the work effort reflex's this. Good place to work. Would recommend. PPE provided. Travel cost paid.
Good Working Environment
Administrartor (Former Employee) –  Aycliffe3 July 2018
Good working environment with the allowance of flex time along with a wide and supportive team from all different part of Durham County Council. Could go further to get higher ranked staff to link more into staff working of the floor.
Great
Youth Engagement Worker (Current Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe, Durham25 June 2018
DCC is a great place to work with many great benefits. I work in a team with many great people and I am always meeting new people on a day to day basis with some work with clients.
A Service that doesnt get time to come up for air.
Residential (Current Employee) –  Durham5 June 2018
Local authority services are being reduced to a minimum provision. Residential workers and managers work hard to maintain the high standards needed to provide the best service for the individual to be rewarded with more cuts . The service looses a skilled workforce without training others to replace the much needed skills.
Pros
Paye
Cons
Cuts and lack of management care
Positive Work Place
SEN Key Worker (Current Employee) –  Durham1 June 2018
From my experience working with DCC it's a very positive work place and I enjoy working here, just a shame there's not much job security. Management is excellent and the benefits are really good.
fun workplace
North East (Former Employee) –  North East30 May 2018
rewarding and learnt a lot here
Working in a control Centre environment, monitoring community Alarms and operating CCTV cameras in hours and out of hour’s service.
great happy times learned alot
Gardener/Landscaper (Former Employee) –  Durham21 May 2018
realy enjoyed my 14 years here learned new skills worked in different areas management were poor biased and my move by tupe realy hurt by my solection
Pros
great job realy miss it
Cons
biased management
Best Place so far I have been for work
Durham (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham10 May 2018
My experience haven amazing in Durham County Council. I had a great support and training. Also had a team which constantly supports each other. Great team work.
love my work
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Crook, Durham27 April 2018
i currently work a shift rota my duties include supporting and promoting independent personal care bathing oral care moving and handling mobility needs nutritional individual nutrition social interaction and stimulation individual person centred care plans health and safety techniques risk assessments comfort ability and happiness hopefully i have numerous certificates to follow up all of my practices
Pros
local
secure
School Crossing Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Consett2 April 2018
fantastic terms and conditions. secure permanent work. good holiday entitlement. flexible working pattern. uniform provided. great line manager. secure job
Good company to work for
Legal clerical assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham23 March 2018
Encouraged to progress and learn and develop skills.
Flexi time is good and holidays increase each year until you have 31 days plus bank holidays.

I have made a lot of friends working here
Good employer
Management Support Officer (Former Employee) –  County Hall13 February 2018
Average working conditions and good moral. Excellent salary and good career progression with an excellent bonus scheme. Offers flexi and buy time for busy mothers and families, excellent car park and Facebook account scheme.
Pros
Flexi
Cons
Work load
Cleaner/Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Peterlee, Durham1 February 2018
Worked in a school which was closed down loved working here and was very upset when I had to leave. I also volunteered in the classroom. I was also a governor.
Productive workplace
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham30 January 2018
The Council are supportive when it comes to personal development, I have recently been allowed to complete a management qualification (CMI Level 7 - Strategic Management).
The hardest part of the job is the time pressures to complete tasks, often we are given too short deadlines that are very difficult to achieve. However, it does allow for you to focus on the task and work with your team to hit these deadlines. The enjoyable part of the job is the variety, in any day you can be dealing with members of the public, Councillors, external contractors, finance team, senior management as well as liaising with other internal teams.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
bureaucracy
Fun and great place
Activity Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham19 January 2018
Loved working for the council made a small family for life at the centre in that it is a friendly and great centre for teamwork always up for a laugh but serious when doing the job