Dunelm Employee Reviews for Team Leader

Toxic and mentally harmful employer
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Bristol31 December 2018
Do not plan to stay at Dunelm if you join this company find a new job ASAP they toxic environment is horrendous!
It is truly a negative and draining place to work the management is dreadful.
Rotas are put up one to three days before leaving no time to plan anything shifts differ from week to week so no consistency. Never enough hours which is then used like a ransom demand to you when they need you to do overtime which will normally be asked if you on the same day already hours into your shift!
A lot of bullying and everyone seems to break into groups of people that dislike each other, a lot of back stapping and two faced actions which interestingly seems to be a unwritten company policy the only way to describe it would be a petty battle royal.
No one answers the phones this doesn’t matter if your an employee or a customer you will be ignored.
The company is also having a lot of financial difficulties which are being masked underhanded techniques this will not last long I believe the cracks will start to show soon.
The sad thing is when the majority of people with negative attitudes are not there the place can be a fun place but those day rarely happen.
If you work in Dunelm or your thinking of doing so my only words of advice would be find a new job trust me this is not a place to work long term!
Pros
A monthly wage
Cons
Worked as a Team leader in chelmsford
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex26 July 2018
AVOID LIKE ANYTHING!!!! the managers lied to sack staff they didnt like, never paid what i worked, all team leaders got sucked into school like behaviour by the store manager.

JUST DO NOT WORK HERE NO BALANCE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE CHILDREN AND THEY TOLD US IT WAS A FAMILY COMPANY NEXT JOKE.
Pros
Cons
Bad company
Their way no matter what
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire22 March 2018
The hours are long. You're regularly expected to do overtime, but the chances are it won't be paid, and you won't get the time back in lieu. When you try and take a break, you're still working. If you're called they expect you to go.
Head office, the CEO and owner will lay down tasks/standards that every store is expected to follow, some of the things asked for prove these people have never worked the shop floor properly.
You are given too many things to do on one shift, yet all are expected to be done.
90% of the customers are rude, and expect you to drop everything you're doing to help them, even if you're dealing with other customers. There will even be complaints if the queue has more than 2 people in it. (I bet they don't complain about long queues in Tesco!)
The management at times seem incompetent, leaving team leaders and sales assistants to deal with problems.
The company won't provide security guards, even in stores which have a theft problem.
All stores seem chronically understaffed.
Pros
Coffee shop discount is double and colleague hot drinks are cheap
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, understaffed
Poor management from the top down.
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent12 January 2018
I worked as a Team leader at the distribution warehouse in Stoke on Trent for 8 yeatsWorking nights I regularly was expected to run the whole shift o my own. Goods in, Picking and despatch. Also deal with anything else the noon shift manager had directed me to carry out.
I went on a well deserved holiday to come back to no job. I was told I was my good enough. By the general manager who had only just arrived.
This was the first and last time I saw him. I was made redundant on the first of July 2016.
Now I hear, that if you do not work a least two Saturdays a month for normal pay you get discipline and loose your job.

Sorry but it's the worst company I have had the pleasure of working for. To get knocked down like that after giving 8 years of loyal service to, what was a good company to work for.
Pros
They let you go home after you have been there for your shift and some.
Cons
Bad management from the very top down to the section managers.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Broadstairs, Kent19 February 2017
Dunelm strives to promote from within the company and offer great and competitive salary with bonus schemes and also they offer there employees the chance to buy shares within the company. With great management and team leader I was able to climb up the ladder and learn new things while also bettering myself and also teaching others. With all my retail and customer service experience I was able to add valuable input and bring added knowledge in order to help drive sales and be competitive within the retail market
Pros
Good hours and rates of pay
Cons
Short staffed at times due to lack of customers and being under pressure to make weekly targets
Productive but hard going
Supervisor/ Team Leader of Marketing (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes11 April 2016
As a team leader you have a lot of freedom and decision making. Long hours and hard to balance your life. The people are good to work with but the targets are unrealistic and very demanding.
Fast paced, productive, friendly
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ballymena28 March 2016
I plan the day ahead for my team and I. I then complete stock management duties and any other tasks i may have for that day.
Maintain service levels and sales whilst prioritizing tasks.

I have learned the importance of providing a high standard of customer service and it how can affect both the customers experience and also the store/company's growth.
Pros
The training and knowledge that you get.
Great staff and lovely customers.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chester15 February 2016
Routines are very important to dunelm, time management is key.The staff are very much involved in boosting sales and kept in the loop about how the business is ran. It can be very intense as the store is often very busy. It can be difficult to have a good work/personal life balance, often work takes the majority of the time. The most enjoyable part is the customers and the staff are great.
Pros
15% discount. Bonus. Busy environment.
Cons
Short staffed, work and personal life balance can be difficult.
very fun place to work but very demanding.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  WLS7 January 2016
non stop from start to finish.
access to furthering ur career with in retail is at hand all the time as well as courses
management is awesome, an run the place very well.
co workers are all really nice. an do for each other like they should.
hardest part of the job is not always being able to please the customer then letting them leave with a bad perception of the store. not everyone can be please.
most enjoyable part is working in a place where they offer so much to further a career in retail if that's what u want.
Pros
praised for hard work at peak times(staff meals, nights out)
Cons
long hours an not enough staff for the work needed
Fast paced retail environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Poole14 September 2015
Working for Dunelm was exciting and rewarding at the same time. I had clear working objectives and had a reliable team working with me. I thought the management structure was clear and was able to work with them with ease. I have learnt a lot working with this company and will take my skills to my next employer.
Productive workplace
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  London, ENG16 September 2014
the store attracts great customers which is always a great motivation whilst at work. I have learnt the importance of client focus. the hardest part of the job is when having to merchandising a whole department mainly because having to work unsociable hours.
Pros
30 mins free lunch
Cons
to many late shifts