Dunelm Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

See reviews about:
Avoid at all costs
Coffee shop / Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester29 May 2018
I applied to work in the coffee shop and after getting the job was there for several months. I was the key colleague which basically means supervisor but you don’t get any extra pay and all the responsibility is on you which was really bad but I enjoyed the job I did and I did it well. Lots of regulars that knew my name and talked to me for ages when they came in. Often I got great reviews and the customers went to my manager and said that my customer service skills were great and that they loved the coffee shop. Then one day out the blue, the assistant manager pulls me in the office and says ‘you always have a face like thunder and your always moody and it rubs off on other staff so we are moving you to the tills’. Firstly, the only times I was ever angry was when I got told off for not doing things the team leader should be doing and doing all these extra things with no extra pay, secondly there a lot more staff and customers at the tills so if I was ‘that moody’ why would you move me there, thirdly I have been a trained barista for 4years and studied it at college so why would I want to work on a till, and lastly, when I was in the coffee shop, I did the ordering, paperwork, filing and checklists all extra and I got paid less than the others in there as I was younger! I was doing them a favour! HR said that I have to do what the store manager says even though there was a seperate application form for the coffee shop and I said in my interview I didn’t want to work in the main shop. Spent 5 months on tills, hated every minute of it, again expecting me to be a key colleague  more... with no pay difference, also wanted me to overlook other departments in the store and I was diagnosed with depression all this being the main reason. They will take you for granted and give you so many extra jobs to do daily and you get paid the same as everyone else. High turnover of staff, 6 people left in the space of 2 weeks before our store opened as they did not like the company or the store managers attitude. I was always being promised things that I never got, after they moved me to the tills, I said I want to go back to the coffee shop numerous times and they said we will put you in one day a week to make you happy and that never happened, just before I left, they kept promising me things and I knew it was because they didn’t want me to leave as others were leaving to. One of our ASM’s was really nice and she helped me through certain parts but the store manager was rude, spoke down to you and had no people skills. I now have a job that is a much better company to work for, I get paid for all the extra jobs I do, management talk to me on a daily basis politely and with respect and don’t push me around.  less
Pros
Hardly any discount but 15% in store
Cons
No extra pay for supervisor style roll, management, breaks, company in general, high turnover of stafff
excellent
Coffee Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cramlington29 January 2018
it was a great place to work accommodating to family circumstances and understanding great team to work with and managers are lovely would love to go back
Pros
great team and hours
Would not recommend to anyone
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  North East27 January 2018
Management atrocious, whole set up is terrible. In my 25 years working in retail I have never known a place like this. ‘Favourites’ and if your face fits. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. No appreciation or thanks for how hard the staff work. Would not recommend working for this company
Cons
Staff not listened to and management have their own ‘favourites’
reasonable
coffee shop assistant (Current Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire26 September 2017
ok place to work. Management changes often, staff rather unhappy about constant rota changes but aside from that you get 15% off so thumbs up. I am looking for something outside of weekend hours or id stay where I am.
Poor Management
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield30 April 2017
I worked at the Kilner Way store Sheffield the management was very poor. Manger wanted me gone so harassed me despite me having mental health and the company having two tick positive about disability they weren't. I had previously worked closing another Dunelm store in Sheffield store down, the temp mangers were great, collegues great. The Kilner Way store has a lot of back stabbing bullying no support for disabled workers. It was the worst store I have ever worked in, I won't even shop there now.
Pros
no problem getting payed at end of 4 weeks
Cons
Run by inadequate managers
productive and fun workplace
Shop Floor Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sunderland15 April 2017
I learnt a lot here how to merchandise the right way I loved working there I worked on different departments in the time I worked there and learned so many things and had lots of training I can say it was the best place I have worked and met the best people ever
Pros
we got bonuses when we hit a target and at christmas we got some money to have a night out
Cons
was non
excelent work place
Team Leader / Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clydebank, SCT6 March 2015
working with fast paced and a fun environmental company also a lot of good people to work along side of management where great I was promoted within 6 months of employment to duty manager/ team leader.
Daily diary of my day
Coffee Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bedford, ENG13 February 2015
A typical shift for me would include safety checks in the morning ensuring that the coffee shop is at the standard for customers to come into, I organised a rage of cakes and sandwiches as well as using my observation skills for a thorougher date check.
Throughout the day I will serve customers either at a till, making their coffee or even serving their food.
I am responsible for cooking toasties and jacket potatoes throughout the day and ensuring that the food I serve reaches core temperature for the customer.
In regards to my management skills I organize my team members when my help is needed, I am able to conduct a stock check and well as carrying out ordering in all areas needed. I will also ensure that weekly and monthly paperwork is all arranged accordingly to company standards.
The most thing I love about my job is serving customers all day and working with a good team. The thing I find the hardest however the best part of my job as I do enjoy a challenge is when we get busy with limited staff.