Dunelm Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Want to hear a joke?.......DUNELM
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon14 November 2018
Never in my life have I ever worked in such a disorganised/twofaced place. If you're face doesn't fit, then i wouldn't bother...

[on a "normal day"]

Management -

1.only care about themselves and getting their targets done. 2. If your generally unwell they wont believe you..3.Trying to call in sick you can never get hold of them, so you end up getting into trouble because of that. 4........FAVOURITISM........5.Always taken off more holidays then they should be..

So called "co workers" -

Always talking about one another [including management].
They never answer the phone when trying to call in sick.
lazy- Always trying to get someone else to do the work for them.
Never respond to the tannoy, never respond to the radio.

so ....AVOID, AVOID, AVOID....
Pros
None - Unless you're face fits. Mine was leaving.
Cons
As my first part-time job it was OKAY
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex3 November 2018
As 16yrs old, having this as the first job was not that great (personally). 1 the first salary that i was supposed to get was delayed a whole month (completely the management's fault). 2 during the six months that i've worked here, i never got my uniform (so felt like, there is that sense of not belonging) 3 As a FULL-TIME student, my contract hrs was 16 (4hrs a day: so went straight after college) LOTS of catching up was needed. I knew how my contracted hours works, what I WAS (still am) disappointed was when they knew that I have a half term (through other co-workers who goes to the same college) they put me on 22-29 hrs a week, WITHOUT my notice. This actually restricts me on my activities during the half term. 4 Having it my FIRST part time job, I couldn't really refuse especially on times when the assistant manager asks for me to work on overtime to help in reorganizing the whole shop floor (MAYBE this 4th one was on my part xD)
Pros
good co-workers, organised (not hectic), fair pay
Cons
boring
Really good to work for great team and friends.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire3 November 2018
I worked at Dunelm for six years I really enjoyed it I worked with a great bunch of people.
Our managers were really good some days were hard but that's like any job.

They supported me well when my family member passed away and they always stood by me.
I'm the person I am today because of Dunelm it's a great company to work for.
The only thing I will say is the break times are too short this is something that definitely needs to improve.
Pros
Great people a lot of benefits
Cons
Break times could be better
A productive place to work.
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Harrow, Greater London13 October 2018
Working at Dunelm taught me better ways of communication and also taught me to multitask as well as keep a positive energy. The hardest part of the job was remembering where every item is located but not long after did i memorise and learn making my job easier. I say the thing i enjoyed most was communicating with customers and colleagues. They were all great people to work with.
Pros
free vending machine
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex13 October 2018
The pay is okay but what is expected from you is never achievable work wise. The management is soo poor that morale is low in most stores I've been to and worked for dunelm for nearly 5 years, with a turnover of 5 managers each as disregarding as the rest for anything not work related. Old systems used in store, with no consistency with work load expectations or work and or requirements.
Pros
Some colleagues
Cons
Basically everything
Poor managnent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear10 October 2018
As a company they expect you to do the work of 4 people yet give you no extra time to do this in. Poor benefits and very little communication within the store and from higher up.
A fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk30 September 2018
Dunelm is a fun place to work and you’re given opportunities to improve as a colleague and you can make good friends in the work place, it is a very busy shop so you’re always kept busy
My Dunelm Review
Sales Assistant / Homemaker (Current Employee) –  Crewe, Cheshire4 September 2018
Although this company is great to work for as a whole, as with all work environments, its not without its faults. For me in particular, the way in which requests of any nature are handled poorly by management. When booking time off for example, it can sometimes take a number of days or weeks before you hear anything back at all. I also feel like I get treated differently by people ranked higher than me, and sometimes not in a good way.
Pros
I seem to get on well with most people who are ranked the same as me.
Cons
Certain parts of the job role can quickly become too predictable.
good place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackburn26 August 2018
good place to work, positive environment good to get along with other colleagues and managers are friendly and helpful, respectful and understanding customer is always right.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Mixed emotions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire12 August 2018
My first few months at dunelm were enjoyable then I soon learnt that management do not like the young workers there. I had friends who previously worked here and heard horrible thigs that managers had done, then I experienced this my self. Workers are un-appreciated, treated unfairly and by one particular manager was often slagged off to other colleagues. It is good pay and when particular managers are not there is a pleasant place to be. Rotas were always put up 1 day in advance leaving no one anytime to plan anything in there personal time and often changed last minute or put in to cover other peoples shifts with no asking or word of warning.
Pros
good staff discount, hourly pay
Cons
not enough hours, poor management
Avoid
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire2 August 2018
Bad management and rude colleagues on customer services. Particular long standing staff members allowed to get away with all sorts such as bad attitude sloppy service and rudeness to customers slacking off and generally uncaring attitude whilst talking down to newbies for not doing things right and basically not working as themselves should be. Bullying is rife impatient boss was very shouty and aggressive I Could have reported but decided just to walk away. Couldn't wait to leave I ended up hating it. If you mention anything that needs to be improved to make customer experience a better one the bosses think you're getting at them and jump down your throat rather than taking it on board.
Pros
Cons
Too many.
Dont bother
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex30 July 2018
Not a great company. Training is terrible watch and read a few my learning courses then they expect you to know everything.
If your not liked your pushed out by anyway they can. The management as of 2018. Is terrible. They are rude and do not listen nor care. Even manager more concerned about targets than coulleuges.
I would avoid letting young ones work there as they are not at all gd caring for them. If you have a family you will not be allowed to work around other commitments you may have. You have to work midnight shifts for 4 weeks in a row if working trade.
To sum up.... do not go near Chelmsford store. And other stores the same. You are built up to be such a great colleuges then they treat you unfairly and let's say since store opened 9 months ago they have sacked and pushed out 5 management/team leaders and around 25 coulleuges. Would you now consider this????.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long days
Fun workplace
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Coventry4 July 2018
Overall Dunelm is a good company to work for, amazing staff, high level of professionalism and a great place to learn new skills. If you are a student, love working in retail or looking for part time work then I would highly recommend Dunelm as a company to work for.
Poor, toxic environment, awful management.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North West3 July 2018
Typical day - Staff arguing, provoking each other into arguing, blaming everyone but themselves for issues.

Learned- Nothing, no training at all.

Management - Wow, never have I worked with such petty, two-faced, incompetent people in my life. Cant admit when wrong, refuse to see anyone else's point of view. I had one clash and right away my days where changed, lost hours, all over time gone. I wasnt the first to have this happen to either.

Workplace culture - Bullying, plain and simple. Never worked with such negative, offensive, awful people. People who would happily lie to get others in trouble for no reason.

Hardest part - Dealing with staff, or management.

Enjoyable - Leaving.
Pros
Above average wage for retail
Cons
Poor management, awful environment, no training.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Chichester27 June 2018
I thoroughly enjoy my job at Dunelm however, after moving out i need a full time position providing me with at least 30h a week minimum and unfortunately the highest form of contract with out being management is 24h.
Wouldn't recommand working here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen11 June 2018
I worked there for almost 6 years, management tried more or less everything to get me to leave during my trial period but I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Things never changed.

Not flexible with regards to hours, rotas were given sometimes the day before starting, they took no notice of your availability. Holidays were almost impossible to get when you wanted.

Most of the staff were good to work with, except a small group.

The breaks are ridiculous, you only get a break if you work 6 hours or more and it is half an hour.

I am on regular medication which I require every 4 hours, in a 5 hour shift I needed to have, I was disciplined for going to staff area to take medication because I had not asked a manager if I could go.

I finally took the decision to leave as the job was affecting my health and certain staff were involved in other staff losing their jobs, they were not getting the chance to do the same to me.
Pros
some of the staff
Cons
everything
Terrible management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford9 May 2018
I worked there for a few months and in that time I found the manager of the store was absolutely terrible at his job. The assistant manager not much better, they made you feel stupid and spoke down to you infront if customers. The only good thing about working there is some of the customers
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Management, customers, co workers, money, breaks, hours
Encouraging
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough Trading Estate, Berkshire2 April 2018
Always encouraged to make progress in different departments. Trading is an excellent position. Always learn new things. Management was okay, could have been better. Lovely place to work.
Pros
15℅ Discount
Cons
Long shifts
Lovely products, but bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft21 March 2018
My manager got too happy with our wages. Spent them all on products. Leaving 12 of us with dismissal over 'references' not getting back. When I contacted my reference, they said they had spoken to Dunelm.

Also, tried to con us out of 4 weeks pay, rather than 1 week.
Pros
Nice Products
Cons
Bad Management
great staff east job average store manager
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  swansea10 March 2018
the easiest job ive had but still demanding with regards to hours as there's little of them even less staff and more work to be done can be rewarding.
Pros
free tea/coffee staff benefits
Cons
pay is shocking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunelm. Our community is ready to answer.