Dunelm Employee Reviews

Coffee shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Cannock, UK23 September 2018
The woman who used to be team leader there was amazing she was so lovely and always had a chat with customers, the woman with blonde hair always used to wear false nails so was worried about what was in my food but she wasnt very welcoming eaither and before i had glitter on my tea cake after she handed it to make she had glitter all over her i was like how unproffesional but
good place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Blackburn26 August 2018
good place to work, positive environment good to get along with other colleagues and managers are friendly and helpful, respectful and understanding customer is always right.
Pros
breaks
Cons
not enough hours
Great company for training
Made 2 Measure Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage23 August 2018
While I can't fault them for their training programme, once you are working in one of the stores, you tend to get blamed for problems that aren't yours. I tended to feel like I was used as a scapegoat when issues arose,as though the rest of the team in the home department weren't in the wrong, particularly if I was not in store.

Also the management of the store lacked tremendously, their was lack in support and when asked for training it was denied to me due to my position. During the heatwave in 2018 we also got denied a fan on the shop-floor and we were sitting under a metal roof at temperatures at 35o.

If trying to get in contact with workroom about customer orders the phone never gets picked up, i find the system software is out of date. I have worked in retail for 6 years and I've never seen anything like it
Store Targets were insane and the targets are weekly not monthly.

I don't recommend DUNELM at all , its starting to suffer in the economy now and i don't see the business staying around much longer.
Pros
Good training programme
Cons
The pay was not enough for what you had to deal with
Don't do it
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester21 August 2018
The money isn't worth the grief you get.

The company is always making the same mistakes and wondering why things keep going wrong.

Worked here for just under a year and hated it.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Bank holiday work. Shift work. 1 in 2 weekends.
not much of a chance of advancing in the company
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Falkirk20 August 2018
kept me on a very small contract, regularly turned down requests for a bigger contract. i enjoyed working there and enjoyed the company of my colleagues. 15% staff discount was good and regular friends and family nights where you got a further percentage off your shopping were a bonus.
Pros
great colleagues and good pay
Cons
not a big enough contract
okay
host/ till assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex13 August 2018
okay
good but could be better

management ok
staff could do better at making friends
online sales good
warehouse good
handing out catalogs
helping customers
Pros
ok
Cons
ok
Mixed emotions
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire12 August 2018
My first few months at dunelm were enjoyable then I soon learnt that management do not like the young workers there. I had friends who previously worked here and heard horrible thigs that managers had done, then I experienced this my self. Workers are un-appreciated, treated unfairly and by one particular manager was often slagged off to other colleagues. It is good pay and when particular managers are not there is a pleasant place to be. Rotas were always put up 1 day in advance leaving no one anytime to plan anything in there personal time and often changed last minute or put in to cover other peoples shifts with no asking or word of warning.
Pros
good staff discount, hourly pay
Cons
not enough hours, poor management
sporadic timetable and poor work/life balance
Delivery colleague (Former Employee) –  Stevenage9 August 2018
Won't accommodate your other commitments, and can and will up and move you to another department for seemingly no reason at all, management is friendly but can be quite taskmaster-esque.
overall, not a bad job but the sporadic timetable and no appreciation of other commitments means your work/life balance will suffer even as a part time staff member.
good
Fabric Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire3 August 2018
Great place to have worked for.
measuring fabric for customers to make curtains, also taking orders and calculating how much it would cost.
Tidying and replenishing of materials section
Pros
great hours
Cons
heavy lifting involved
Avoid
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire2 August 2018
Bad management and rude colleagues on customer services. Particular long standing staff members allowed to get away with all sorts such as bad attitude sloppy service and rudeness to customers slacking off and generally uncaring attitude whilst talking down to newbies for not doing things right and basically not working as themselves should be. Bullying is rife impatient boss was very shouty and aggressive I Could have reported but decided just to walk away. Couldn't wait to leave I ended up hating it. If you mention anything that needs to be improved to make customer experience a better one the bosses think you're getting at them and jump down your throat rather than taking it on board.
Pros
Cons
Too many.
Dont bother
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex30 July 2018
Not a great company. Training is terrible watch and read a few my learning courses then they expect you to know everything.
If your not liked your pushed out by anyway they can. The management as of 2018. Is terrible. They are rude and do not listen nor care. Even manager more concerned about targets than coulleuges.
I would avoid letting young ones work there as they are not at all gd caring for them. If you have a family you will not be allowed to work around other commitments you may have. You have to work midnight shifts for 4 weeks in a row if working trade.
To sum up.... do not go near Chelmsford store. And other stores the same. You are built up to be such a great colleuges then they treat you unfairly and let's say since store opened 9 months ago they have sacked and pushed out 5 management/team leaders and around 25 coulleuges. Would you now consider this????.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long days
Worked as a Team leader in chelmsford
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex26 July 2018
AVOID LIKE ANYTHING!!!! the managers lied to sack staff they didnt like, never paid what i worked, all team leaders got sucked into school like behaviour by the store manager.

JUST DO NOT WORK HERE NO BALANCE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE CHILDREN AND THEY TOLD US IT WAS A FAMILY COMPANY NEXT JOKE.
Pros
Cons
Bad company
Don't go there
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birstall, Leicestershire25 July 2018
No communication between anyone.
Managers doesn't do what they need todo.
Every time people from head office visits manufacturing center they look at you like you are rubbish
Great to meet people
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire11 July 2018
I made some great friends at Dunelm. I would recommend this job to a young person who is looking for a first job as it is friendly and helps you to learn how to communicate with the public.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
Unfair Hours (Sometimes)
Fitter role
Fitter (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset9 July 2018
As a fitter I had little interaction with staff who all seemed nice.
I worked for Dunelm for over 2 years I was promised a pay rise which my manager presented the email to me before Christmas and when it was due. I asked about it and was told they were waiting for a response from upper management.
This carried on for 3 months so I left after talking to multiple supervisors/managers who basically said the pay rise wasn’t coming.
Pros
Mobile role
Cons
Never knowing what time I can finish, no lunch breaks, lied to about pay.
Fun workplace
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Coventry4 July 2018
Overall Dunelm is a good company to work for, amazing staff, high level of professionalism and a great place to learn new skills. If you are a student, love working in retail or looking for part time work then I would highly recommend Dunelm as a company to work for.
Poor, toxic environment, awful management.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North West3 July 2018
Typical day - Staff arguing, provoking each other into arguing, blaming everyone but themselves for issues.

Learned- Nothing, no training at all.

Management - Wow, never have I worked with such petty, two-faced, incompetent people in my life. Cant admit when wrong, refuse to see anyone else's point of view. I had one clash and right away my days where changed, lost hours, all over time gone. I wasnt the first to have this happen to either.

Workplace culture - Bullying, plain and simple. Never worked with such negative, offensive, awful people. People who would happily lie to get others in trouble for no reason.

Hardest part - Dealing with staff, or management.

Enjoyable - Leaving.
Pros
Above average wage for retail
Cons
Poor management, awful environment, no training.
Fast paced environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Catford, Greater London27 June 2018
It was a very fast paced environment and you had to get everything out of the warehouse quick while also keeping the shop floor tidy. But helping the customers was so rewarding.
Pros
Satisfaction when finished
Cons
Long shifts became tedious
Productive and fun workplace
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Chichester27 June 2018
I thoroughly enjoy my job at Dunelm however, after moving out i need a full time position providing me with at least 30h a week minimum and unfortunately the highest form of contract with out being management is 24h.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich14 June 2018
Work life at Dunelm isn’t constantly on the go. It’s a bit more slow going in my opinion. I had a great team to work with. The days just seemed to go very slowly unfortunately.
Pros
Team I worked with were amazing!
Cons
Contract was never changed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunelm. Our community is ready to answer.