Dunelm Employee Reviews

fantastic first time job!
Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire17 May 2018
i would recommend working her great and friendly people and not the hardest work out there so fantastic for school leavers and great for mums and dads as you get 10% off everything in store
Terrible management.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stafford9 May 2018
I worked there for a few months and in that time I found the manager of the store was absolutely terrible at his job. The assistant manager not much better, they made you feel stupid and spoke down to you infront if customers. The only good thing about working there is some of the customers
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Management, customers, co workers, money, breaks, hours
Productive and busy place to work
Café Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead8 May 2018
Fast paced coffee shop with a busy store also. Very good staff to work with and supportive staffing structures. Management are helpful as and when they can.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Lack of communication
Depends what store you go to
Sales Assistant/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire7 May 2018
Good company (not as good as it used to be though.)
Decent job depending on the store you end up.
Enjoyed customer interaction.
Chance to get some qualifications.
Bad work place
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester5 May 2018
I worked there months back and it horrible there managers do not want to take over phone calls when customers want manager on the phone and the company is messing customers up so that they call in to get PCA rate up. 4 of there managers there were very bad and one was racist. Never apply here.
Fun workplace
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire3 May 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Dunelm.

I left due to health reasons which management didn't seem to understand and kept messing me round when I needed time off for appointments.

Other than that its a brilliant place to work and most of the staff are genuinely lovely. Great rewards!

Perfect student job.
It’s bad
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester24 April 2018
I worked here for a couple of months it’s badly organised the staff and managers slag the place off there is no proper training I expected a lot from dunelm and I left very disappointed they Fob customers with gift cards to keep them happy how it makes money as a company I have no idea it is the worst call centre I have worked in if your desperate for a job take it but I see this as a last resort job
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Going in
Bullying culture amongst management.
Slave (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester8 April 2018
Management are bullies, you never leave on time and management will either guilt you into staying without over time or physically lock you in the store while they sit and watch you finish off deliveries.
You'll never see employees smile because they are either miserable, having to much to do with the little time/staff they have or their manager is making their life a living nightmare.
HR are useless and no one reports the mass amount of bullying
Because they are either threatened or made to feel like it's acceptable to be treated like dirt.
For your sanity don't work here.
Pros
Non
Cons
You'll be miserable
Ok
Voluntary work experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, Erdington7 April 2018
Well did a months work placement here, most staff were lovely and happy to help.
Some on the other hand were lazy, swanned around all day doing sweet F A and threw a few sarky comments.
Manager was nice and both assistant managers.
Only thing I couldn’t get my head around they was offering 8 hour contracts to people but couldn’t offer any more.
Oh and you best learn to fold towels and tea towels the ‘dunelm’ way.
Other than that was an ok place to work if they offered decent hours!.
This was in 2016 have no idea if its changed but have been in and some of the lazy staff still there!.
Pros
Escaping the kids
Cons
Not offering more hours
Encouraging
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough Trading Estate, Berkshire2 April 2018
Always encouraged to make progress in different departments. Trading is an excellent position. Always learn new things. Management was okay, could have been better. Lovely place to work.
Pros
15℅ Discount
Cons
Long shifts
Not the best
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester23 March 2018
When I worked here I felt undervalued for the work I put in. I always wanted to progress and there were good opportunities for this however I was never considered a good candidate. My current role now and how I have progressed tells me this wasn't my own doing.
Hardest part of the job was working within a team that weren't welcoming and supportive to a new face.
Most enjoyable part of the job was customer service, I enjoyed making customers matter.
Cons
Short contracts, basic hourly rate
Their way no matter what
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire22 March 2018
The hours are long. You're regularly expected to do overtime, but the chances are it won't be paid, and you won't get the time back in lieu. When you try and take a break, you're still working. If you're called they expect you to go.
Head office, the CEO and owner will lay down tasks/standards that every store is expected to follow, some of the things asked for prove these people have never worked the shop floor properly.
You are given too many things to do on one shift, yet all are expected to be done.
90% of the customers are rude, and expect you to drop everything you're doing to help them, even if you're dealing with other customers. There will even be complaints if the queue has more than 2 people in it. (I bet they don't complain about long queues in Tesco!)
The management at times seem incompetent, leaving team leaders and sales assistants to deal with problems.
The company won't provide security guards, even in stores which have a theft problem.
All stores seem chronically understaffed.
Pros
Coffee shop discount is double and colleague hot drinks are cheap
Cons
Long hours, poor pay, understaffed
Lovely products, but bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft21 March 2018
My manager got too happy with our wages. Spent them all on products. Leaving 12 of us with dismissal over 'references' not getting back. When I contacted my reference, they said they had spoken to Dunelm.

Also, tried to con us out of 4 weeks pay, rather than 1 week.
Pros
Nice Products
Cons
Bad Management
Demanding and not understanding
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cornwall14 March 2018
Despite having only been employed here for just over a month, I have gained a pretty good understanding about the company. At first, everything seemed really good and being offered a 20 hour contract was perfect for me. Although I signed a 20 hour contract, you are expected to work 25% extra of those hours, so 25 a week, however I have been being put down for 30 hours a week most weeks, without the management asking me at all? They just expect you to work this, like Dunelm is your only commitment all day everyday. As well as this, it is near to impossible to get even 1 day that you require, off, as your commitments do not matter to the management because one less person means being more understaffed than usual. I live further away from the store than the average employee so it was a risk, understanding that the driving may make me unhappy. I was up for trying something new, but unfortunately, it’s the job that began to make me unhappy and I now find it incredibly challenging to get up and go to work.
Pros
Friendly staff that can always help
Cons
Unorganised, understaffed and they expect you to be flexible but they cannot be flexible themselves.
great staff east job average store manager
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  swansea10 March 2018
the easiest job ive had but still demanding with regards to hours as there's little of them even less staff and more work to be done can be rewarding.
Pros
free tea/coffee staff benefits
Cons
pay is shocking
Would not recommend to work for this company.
Coffee Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire1 March 2018
I was there for just over a year, applied to be in sales, but got put into the coffee shop. I liked it at first, but was a bit slow and was told this by the assistant manager in an offensive manner, which I found upsetting and uncalled for. Also there was an incident where the manager told me that I had no common sense, which again I found personally upsetring and uncalled for and knocked my confidence and made me feel demeaned. Got on with everyone and enjoyed working with them, but rotas were changed at last minute, so if u planned anything u would have to change it, rotas done sometimes days before start of nexr working week. Management not good, don't listen, not approachable, other people get preferential treatment. I felt no matter how many times I said to them if I wasn't happy about something and being underpaid, nothing was done about it. No clocking on or digital system, so if u didn't sign out u wouldn't get paid, which I found out dated. I resigned. End of.
Pros
Discount and pay
Cons
small hours contract, no job security, bad managementt
Bad Management lets Good Drivers down
7.5tonne Home Deliver Driver (Former Employee) –  Northampton23 February 2018
Good, friendly Drivers but still very high turnover.
Depot management awful as is the Office.
Not a nice company to work for.
Lorries are sometimes NOT loaded.
sent out with inexperienced Drivers Mates.
Fun place to work, made great friends.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage21 February 2018
Worked at Dunelm for 4 years as a part time job, it was a good place to work, made a few friends and I was treated with respect when it came to my education and the colleagues I worked with were all lovely and polite.
Pros
Discount off products including drinks and food, Get to work either the saturday or sunday never worked both at once
Cons
During busy times like the christmas period you would expect to work 8 long days in a row, sometimes even longer.
Worse place ever
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire20 February 2018
Very unorganized, management are very hard to talk to, always lie to you n make empty promises, stupidly strict on the rules e.g if your off sick even with a doctor's note you get a warning (feels like you getting punished for been ill) not very understanding on personal matters at home and have no respect for employees
Pros
Cons
Poor pay
Great place to work but some staff are so rude
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland19 February 2018
Good place to work the management is great but some staff members are the rudest people you will ever meet. No wonder that have got customer complaints. You definitely need to be tough skinned to work there
Pros
Good discount and good wage
Cons
Really rude staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunelm. Our community is ready to answer.