Dunelm Employee Reviews

Stressful, Extremley poor management, No support, false promises.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Horsham15 December 2018
AVOID AVOID AVOID! This company is definitely the worst place anybody could work. The store I worked in was run by kids trying to run an empire! Age shouldn’t matter but in this case it really did? Consistently failing audits (surprising its still allowed to be open) no support when needed, concistantly fobbed off when help was needed, Rotas never done properly, just copied and pasted. Just the same robotic routine everyday. Was a total waste of time and effort working there. It felt like breaking free from prison when I left! Never recommend working at this...........place! Trust me don’t even bother applying.
Sickening
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire12 December 2018
There are plenty of other positions at different companies/stores in the Botley/Oxford area. They ask for more or less the same requirements as Dunelm do, so if you feel you are qualified for a vacancy at Dunelm, you most probably will be qualified for a vacancy at a surrounding store.

Dont bother considering Dunelm, its an absolute shambles. The staff are undertrained and unhappy. The higher ups are callous and have little empathy. Consider another role under a different company. You will thank me in the long run.
Cons
Get rid of you the first chance they get
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballymena, County Antrim24 November 2018
No job security at all. The minute they don't need you, you're out on the streets. No job advancement either. Getting shifts covered is a h*ll raiser, and god forbid you stand at your till when there's no customers, or don't hand out the promotion vouchers. Place is an absolute joke.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Only half an hour break during 10 hour shifts
Disgusting place to work.Avoid at all costs !!
Sales Advisor. (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe20 November 2018
High Wycombe branch changes rotas with no notice.You have to work over 32% of your contracted hours.Team leaders have no skills in anything.Avoid,BAD!
Pros
Cons
Dunelm people and stock
exceptionally poor conditions
home consultant (Former Employee) –  Bolton15 November 2018
The worst place I have worked in. No support, bullying culture, unrealistic managers that didn't have any experience of the home consultant job. Fitters that got paid a full salary who let customers down and the consultant got any losses docked from their pay, sometimes working at a loss. Unrealistic hours , overpaid bosses . Nothing about this company is professional or supportive of staff. Greed is the motive for bosses. I now actively promote avoidance of this store as a customer . If you want to see a fine example of a poor business organization, look at Dunelm!
Pros
Cons
all aspects of the job are cons
Soul Destroying
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire14 November 2018
A textbook example of a horrible place to work. Poor and neglectful management, as well as an under trained work force has resulted in most of my colleagues telling me they hate it there too. It's not worth the bother. Worst job I have ever had.
Pros
Discounts (for things I don't need/want.)
Cons
Requests and quieries ignored constantly.
Want to hear a joke?.......DUNELM
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon14 November 2018
Never in my life have I ever worked in such a disorganised/twofaced place. If you're face doesn't fit, then i wouldn't bother...

[on a "normal day"]

Management -

1.only care about themselves and getting their targets done. 2. If your generally unwell they wont believe you..3.Trying to call in sick you can never get hold of them, so you end up getting into trouble because of that. 4........FAVOURITISM........5.Always taken off more holidays then they should be..

So called "co workers" -

Always talking about one another [including management].
They never answer the phone when trying to call in sick.
lazy- Always trying to get someone else to do the work for them.
Never respond to the tannoy, never respond to the radio.

so ....AVOID, AVOID, AVOID....
Pros
None - Unless you're face fits. Mine was leaving.
Hgv driver dhl stoke
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  STOKE ON TRENT DISYRIBUTION CENTRE10 November 2018
This should have been a great job. I work hard and follow the rules. However, the job became unbearable due to the DHL transport managers at the Stoke distribution centre. You will be spoken to like a child and made to feel like a criminal for the slightest mistake. My self confidence has been affected by these people, and I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.
Pros
New trucks, great on site favilities
Cons
Treated with no respect, Aweful management team
Do not work for dunelm
Stock Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Catford, Greater London6 November 2018
Management is extremely unprofessional. Don't care about their staff. Unreasonable expectations from staff. Mentally wear you down. Shocking place to work.
Pros
Nice shop floor staff
Cons
Rotas, mistakes with pay, unprofessional management
As my first part-time job it was OKAY
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex3 November 2018
As 16yrs old, having this as the first job was not that great (personally). 1 the first salary that i was supposed to get was delayed a whole month (completely the management's fault). 2 during the six months that i've worked here, i never got my uniform (so felt like, there is that sense of not belonging) 3 As a FULL-TIME student, my contract hrs was 16 (4hrs a day: so went straight after college) LOTS of catching up was needed. I knew how my contracted hours works, what I WAS (still am) disappointed was when they knew that I have a half term (through other co-workers who goes to the same college) they put me on 22-29 hrs a week, WITHOUT my notice. This actually restricts me on my activities during the half term. 4 Having it my FIRST part time job, I couldn't really refuse especially on times when the assistant manager asks for me to work on overtime to help in reorganizing the whole shop floor (MAYBE this 4th one was on my part xD)
Pros
good co-workers, organised (not hectic), fair pay
Cons
boring
Really good to work for great team and friends.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire3 November 2018
I worked at Dunelm for six years I really enjoyed it I worked with a great bunch of people.
Our managers were really good some days were hard but that's like any job.

They supported me well when my family member passed away and they always stood by me.
I'm the person I am today because of Dunelm it's a great company to work for.
The only thing I will say is the break times are too short this is something that definitely needs to improve.
Pros
Great people a lot of benefits
Cons
Break times could be better
Waste of even trying to save the place
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester31 October 2018
I started in June while the world cup was on, offered a full-time contract with others.
I knew it should have been bad as they advised "come for the interview at 1pm" an hour later and a manager only just got to me to interview me, he was very nice.
then 2 weeks later I started with a really nice bunch of people, the training though, disgusting, the training an older lady seemed to have an issue with males, especially someone who's been in customer service for a while.

So I asked in my second week while listening into to another colleague "does this place have a union?" Nope, nothing.
So I made the remark, "wouldn't this place be better with one?"
She said "yeah this place this terrible at times"
at the end of that day, I was pulled into a room with the main manager and the trainer and was asked: "do you want to work here?" "do you have a problem?"
This should have been my idea to just leave, being interrogated for asking a question.
The best was "you've come trying to start a revolution" like how do you respond to that?

2 weeks later go by, I'm enjoying the place, they give free fruit, free drinks, life good, then once again after working 5 hours straight no break expected to just jump to the nature.

I was hurled in a room mid-call with the manager and trainer to be told this is my mid-week evaluation, yeah it wasn't, it was you're gonna sit here and listen to all the bad quality you have and then we sack you.

I sat in the room for 20 minutes, I listened to my own call where they pointed out I wasn't ready for the call, yet I was called over to view
  more... my stats by another trainer, where I made a human mistake and forgot to put my self in coaching, I went back to a customer.

I was relieved from position and walked out the door for that
Pros
Cold in the summer, free fruit
Cons
LONG hours, 1 break all day unless you want to work longer, all the staff are backstabbers, don't relie on anyone in there
Avoid no job security
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford26 October 2018
This store has been open since December in Chelmsford and we all started out being told to think of yourself as a Dunelm family..... and ever since the new management came they have done everything to get rid of all the original colleagues 2thirds have now gone everyone from long standing team leaders to part time assistants. if you only want this job to tide you over or a stepping stone then I would recommend it but if you want to make a career out of it I wouldn’t recommend this store as you will always be wondering if you will be out next.
Maybe other stores have better management at the helm but not this one
Pros
8, 16, 24, 36 hour contracts
Cons
just like any other store now.. no heart
Hellhole
Sales Assistant and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paisley22 October 2018
Managers are awful team leaders are awful. I made the best decision of my life leaving that place. Given unrealistic targets to meet in a four hour shift. Some staff get away with murder while others work through breaks and past their finishing time with no thanks. Managers don’t have a clue! You get treated like a bit of dirt from your team leaders managers and customers it’s a disgusting place to work!
Avoid at any cost!
Drivers Mate (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire17 October 2018
Signed a contract for 48hrs and been working 55 and above. When I raised the issue, I have been treated like dirt and basically realised I'm only a number. Very incompetent management that doesn't have the skills to manage challenging situations, they only like you if you work like a slave. When raised the issue with HR I have been told that I have misunderstood the way I've been treated and things that were said to me, so never did anything about it. Obviously they hated me after, because of all the fuss and in a week I had already 2 disciplinary meetings and they tried to kick me out - well, they didn't because I left on my own. Only thing I can say is that the company does't stick at all to it's values and vision which you can read on their website and try to connect with what I've written. The worst company I've worked so far and the 'happiest' 2 months at a job I ever had. Good luck!
Pros
They are ready to listen to you...
Cons
but they don't care what you think
Dark age dungeon
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe16 October 2018
Started off with an agency here which to be honest was a lot better than actually being employed by Dunelm directly.
Never worked at a place where you only get one 30minute break in an 8 hour shift before, a lot of staff I started with left due to this reason after they got contracts with Dunelm.

The call centre actually used to be the warehouse situated underneath the Radcliffe store and felt like a dungeon due to there being no windows.

Managers are always in meetings for hours on end and even when they are actually on the floor are not that helpful or friendly.

Very clicky atmosphere amongst long term staff and managers no promotional prospects and a lot of bullying goes on which is swept under the carpet.

Shifts are very unsociable with a poor work life balance.

Just another corporate money making machine in my opinion which cares little about it's customers and even less about its staff.
Pros
Free Fruit
Cons
Poor Shifts
A productive place to work.
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London Borough of Harrow, Greater London13 October 2018
Working at Dunelm taught me better ways of communication and also taught me to multitask as well as keep a positive energy. The hardest part of the job was remembering where every item is located but not long after did i memorise and learn making my job easier. I say the thing i enjoyed most was communicating with customers and colleagues. They were all great people to work with.
Pros
free vending machine
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex13 October 2018
The pay is okay but what is expected from you is never achievable work wise. The management is soo poor that morale is low in most stores I've been to and worked for dunelm for nearly 5 years, with a turnover of 5 managers each as disregarding as the rest for anything not work related. Old systems used in store, with no consistency with work load expectations or work and or requirements.
Pros
Some colleagues
Cons
Basically everything
Family friendly business
Regional People Manager (Current Employee) –  Leicester11 October 2018
A business that is focussed on the customer. Task orientated . Great product. Positive about training. Workload too high for number of colleagues. Great being able to interact with customers
Pros
Colleague discount
Cons
Unrealistic workload
Not a good place
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead10 October 2018
Staff aren't welcoming to new starters, it's a very two faced place to work for and members of staff can be very fake. Hours are long and managers aren't willing to be flexible with you no matter how many times you bend over backwards. Little to no benefits, it's generally a depressing place to work for and wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.
Pros
pathetic 15% discount
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dunelm. Our community is ready to answer.