Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Employee Reviews

Bullying
Test Result Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gosforth, Tyne and Wear20 February 2019
The Civil Service saying they what to be a non bullying employer
but most of the bullying is done by team leader.
typical day at work was sitting for 7.5 hours not moving much
management? what management
The job wasn't hard just the team leader was rubbish
most enjoyable part of the day was finishing time.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Team leader treated staff like children in a class room
It's not how it appears!
AO (Current Employee) –  Swansea12 July 2018
Originally got a permanent position, this was what was advertised. They will then ring you and ask if you would take a fixed term contract until the permanent becomes available.
This is bull.
I am constantly aware I might not be here at the end of my 12 months.....they have just advertised for another lot of 'permanent' positions. So so wrong and unfair to the staff who have agreed to come in on fixed term, after waiting months and months to even start.

Flexi is useless if business needs depict you are needed.

The shift patterns are AWFUL if you have a family.

Monotonous, soul-destroying job.

Not worth the money, sorry.
Pros
Pros: Salary is okay, colleagues are are great (bar one or two).
Cons
Awful work-life balance, you are watched like a hawk which can be pressurising.
Flexible working environment
Telecoms/Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nottingham6 September 2018
I was involved in Setting up of a Contact Centre at DVSA.

I learned about configuring the Unify IP phones and intrconnection with the service Provider.
Pros
Experience was gained
Poor instatutionalised management
N/A (Current Employee) –  West Midlands15 August 2018
No long term plan for the organisation
Only interested in ticking boxes and no care for the staff
Each manager from outside the organisation has no plans to stay or improve the long term prospecte of the organisation
Pros
Cons
all
Never ever again
Driving Examiner (Former Employee) –  Walton, West Yorkshire1 April 2018
Managed by those who are purely there for their own self satisfaction. Job security is non existent and the overwhelming response to my question to former colleagues “are we fit for purpose”? No was every response I got. For some reason, it’s my assertion that the service does not seek to achieve safety on our roads. This is my opinion and the opinion of many others in the job.
Pros
Finish early
Cons
Poor management with a passion for boosting their own over exaggerated egos.
Over worked under paid
Licensing Officer (Former Employee) –  Leeds2 June 2018
Management was terrible, you will be judged on the mistakes you’ve made but you’ve never been trained properly in the first place. Underpaid, no structure
Pros
Flexible can leave early
Cons
Underpaid, bad management
Dvla admin
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea6 March 2018
The people on the team were great but the Management would shaft you just to make themselves look good. Only way to get promoted is by kissing up to management or knowing someone higher up no matter how hard you work or what stats your hitting.
You will quickly get tired of working you rear off while watching less capable get promotions and get away with murder.
Management really have no idea what they are doing and are full of self importance
Pros
Some pretty good people
Cons
Useless Management, Favourtism, poor pay and no appreciation
Approved Driving Instructor (Current Employee) –  New Forest, Hampshire6 February 2018
Being an approved driving instructor means you are certificated by DVSA but self-employed. Every day is different as you work with different level of candidates, having to think of their individual needs to ensure they enjoy learning new skills. Hours can be sociable but more often not as we have to fit in to suit them. This job is very rewarding when a candidate is successful in obtaining a full driving licence.
Pros
Own boss
Cons
Irregular hours and income
Nothing like the advert
Vehicle Standards Assessor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol28 February 2018
I felt deceived by the advert and the non existent progression programme offered at interview.
I couldn't get any leave not even a day off, expenses ran into the hundreds of pounds before being paid, little or no support from management or the organisation, poor training for the role.
Pros
company car and ension
Cons
as above
its a recently merged service, so there are various processes being put in place to make it work.
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol21 September 2017
A typical day at work includes being given work by a line manager who is usually working from home and who does not believe in sharing your workload but gives you all of their workload.

Most of the permanent senior management staff sits at Bristol and Nottingham office and have not got a clue about how to treat their employees.

Workplace culture - is lacking and needs to be built up.

Hardest part of the job - no Health & Safety in place and no appreciation for the work that's been done.

Enjoyable part of the job - can't remember.
Cons
Long hours, half hour lunchbreak.
Good place to work DVSA
Vehicle MOT examiner HGV, PSV Travel (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire10 November 2018
There seems to be a lot of negative reviews on working for the DVSA, I worked for the DVSA and to be honest I left witch I now regret and would go back tomorrow with my tail between my legs. In my time at the DVSA I had no major complaints I new what I was signing up to i new what I would be doing and the training was spot on if you didn’t understand something you only had to ask and anyone would happily help you wether it be management or some one learning the same as you, yes people have put comments saying the job is all about ticking boxes and there is no structure but what people are failing to say is the business is going in new directions and change is needed just like any other job out there more business are going digital just like the DVSA is and once the DVSA get the right mind set of people and the new changes are implemented it will run right, yes there is a lot of things that need ironing out but that’s just like any other job out there that’s changing the way they run there business. The dvsa is not just a small company trying to make a living. DVSA Employs around 4500 people and that’s a staggering number of poeple to all get on but I’m shore they will get there
Iv seem it 1st hand from both sides lorry driver or a mechanic and been the examiner and in my experience the last thing we need is the DVSA been scrapped and truck testing and road side checks been done by a privet company as it will lead to disaster.

If you get the opportunity to work for the DVSA I would highly recommend it.
Pros
Good work/life balance always willing to help when needed
Cons
Non
No management stucture
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 July 2017
Very poorly managed, deadlines for annual reviews and personal development plans are not followed through, rely on the good workers to carry the bad workers instead of nipping it in the bud, all tarred with the same brush, management turn around high with unexperienced managers and seniors
Colleagues across the business are lovely and generally frustrated and the lack of knowledge senior wise,
Pros
Good hours, annual leave and employee benefits
Cons
Just a number, not looked after hr wise from your manager, people given overtime but no paid overtime rate, whilst others clearly and noted are sherking their duties
Terrible organisation to work for!
Handy Person / AA (Current Employee) –  Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire22 June 2017
In the beginning it was a great place to work for. Pay, pension, holidays etc....fabulous! Most of the staff really enjoyed working for the organisation until massive changes were put in place.

Now everyone wants to leave nobody is happy! Management is rarely seen and that's if you know who you're manager is!
Pros
Holiday entitlement
Cons
Pay, changes to pension, working terms and conditions!
it keeps me motivated and i enjoy it
Cleaner (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire9 February 2017
its a quick an easy job, I really enjoy it my boss is really understanding and friendly.
I get up every morning looking forward to going to work as then it keeps me motivated all day to get on with other things
The people that are there some times when I run over and clean for longer then an hour are really friendly smiley happy people and easy to get along with they make my day a lot easier then it is some days.
Pros
keeps me motivated all day
Cons
its only an hour a day
Pathetic
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 May 2017
Management pathetic and incompetent people promoted on a jobs for the boys ethic.
Everyone is terrified of offending anybody because the gossip and backstabbing culture is rife.
For what you do the pay is just okay.
start at 08.00 finish at 16.00 but sometimes you are sitting around with nothing to do for hours.
Pros
pay
Cons
watching your back
Fun workplace
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea24 September 2017
Loved working here unfortunately only a temp contract . Greats perks though including the flexi hours system a great canteen and overall a fun yet professional place to work
Pros
Flexi
The workplace
Admin Assistant, Messenger/Handyperson (Former Employee) –  Swansea1 March 2016
A great working environment initially as my psychology and people skills improved immensely. A busy environment in which the day went quickly and good communication was essential for the job roles to be performed.

It was a great learning curve in respect of the administration side of things which was all mingled in with other manual duties which created variety feeling that one has satisfaction in daily duties.

The team were a great bunch to work with in which understanding and compassion was always present and makes the working day much easier especially when it got extremely busy eg: when magazines were distributed making this an additional task to our normal work duties.

It was all enjoyable as I believe good communication is vital in a contented working environment.
Pros
Flexi time allowed
Cons
Sometimes late finishing times
Dvsa
EO (Current Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea17 July 2017
DVSA offers excellent salary and benefits however job security is a major concern due to re-structuring. Staff are friendly and welcoming and the environment is modern and clean.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Job security
Sweat Shop
Telephone Advisor (Current Employee) –  Llansamlet, Swansea23 February 2017
Contact Centre is no better than a sweat shop. No leave ever available and management change your shifts when they feel like, however not one of the HEO/SEO managers work shifts!
Pros
you get paid
Cons
paid poorly
Well managed
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swansea, WLS24 March 2014
I dealt with dealing with complex customer enquiries by phone and email. I had to communicate effectively and ensure that I dealt with enquires effectively and productively.