Dr Martens

Dr Martens Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews
Always a nice feeling when you can turn up to a job you enjoy doing. Lots of communication with the public and other members of staff making it a fun and vibrant place to work. Something new happening every shift, would recommend for people looking for work in the retail environment.
The job itself is okay. It is a competitive job as you have to hit sales targets, it can become quite catty at times due to that, as staff have no problem stealing others’ sales. Shifts went quickly when it was the weekend or holiday periods, but slow days dragged.

My boss was great, but the other management was overall very poor, it’s hard to have a good work/life balance due to the lack of professionalism shown by management towards their staff - they are too involved in goings-on and gossip between staff and should take a step back.

Very poor work culture which could’ve been handled a lot better. Management should set an example of what they want from their staff, but they don’t. It is very much ‘do as I say, not as I do’ there.

Pay was alright, you also get a good discount and the hours are quite flexible. I think I would’ve enjoyed the job a lot more and stayed, had I applied for a different store.
Pros
Good discount, flexible hours, pay
Cons
Management, work culture, pressure is on to meet targets every shift
Promising at first but then you soon learn the Management haven't got a clue and more to the point, don't want to know. The decisions made at Management level quickly comes apparent to you that they have No Idea what they're doing, treat Staff Disgustingly but think they get over this by throwing a Summer Party, didn't wash with me. 90% of the Footwear are now Cheap Imports and are Plastic not Leather and yet they charge the same. Unless you are absolutely Desperate DO NOT work here. I actually can't believe that they still have a business and will be even more amazed if they still have one in 5 years, if not less. Stay Away!!
Pros
Summer Party, Discounted Footwear.
Cons
Poor Wages, Poor Health & Safety, Poor Management both on Shop Floor and Higher.
I loved working at Dr Martens, it was the best retail job I have ever had. Totally understanding staff and great attitude/morals throughout the company.
Pros
Great perks and training
Cons
When it was quiet, it would be a long sh
Work to targets, given in a team brief at the start of your day. Lots of support and training is given to help reach the best level of customer service, all training is casual and based around one on one conversational sessions. The brand is all about creating rapport and having your own independent style, this is encouraged through your role in the company. The best part is working with the rest of the team.
The staff are friendly, the interview is relaxed and easy. Customers can be tricky but staff members will always be around to jump in and help. Training is easy and simple and uniform is just docs!
Mostly friendly staff and a positive work environment which means I always have fun when at work. The job provided me with training when I started that taught me how to best look after customers in a retail environment.
I really enjoyed my time at DM's i only left due to uni/work balance was too much. would work there again.

Good atmosphere, good working hours and good pay
Bullying tactics , people picking on new people , poor managing , too much pressure for what the role is .BUTT pay is good and you get good discount and free uniform
Everything was fine when warehouse manager was on his holidays, as soon as He comes back there were a lot of no needed problems and stressful situations
You learn new skills everyday. It is an amazing company if you want to progress in. Good pay, and they also provide you with amazing staff discount as well as uniform.
Great place to work lots of opportunities, great working environmemt, friendly management, great place to develop communication and team working skills
Enjoyed it as a part time member of staff, unfortunately not as a full time member of staff. Management are helpful when it comes to balancing social life with work life but like all retail this place of work is particularly catty and can be quite toxic.
Training night before I started my first shift. This was great because it meant I had a jump start to learning about the brand, selling techniques and ways to ramp up my UPT. Took me a month or two to learn all of the shoe names and styles but after that it was a very easy sell. Not only did I learn to sell shoes (that I love) but I learnt how to visual merchandise which is a big interest of mine. Amazing discount and two pairs of shoes of your choice every season, what more can you ask for? The only reason why I left was because I wanted more hours as I only got 25+ hours a week on a 12 hour contact and there was no progression as both manager positions were filled.
Pros
Discount and uniform
Cons
Progression
Very flexible and relaxed. Enjoyed working with the people there. The hardest part of the job was waking up but once you get that out of the way it was a fun and interactive place to work.
The management staff were disengaged with with the day to day happenings within the team. They were inclined to avoid any challenging situations which resulted in a lack of proactive problem solving.
I overall enjoyed my experience at this establishment. My typical day at work was a busy environment with multiple tasks at hand at any given time, problem solving and reaching a high customer service expectancy which I feel I was able to uphold. I learnt something new which was out of my comfort zone job wise and the management there were friendly, helpful and professional at all times. The hardest part of the job was figuring out the staff shoe area as you needed to know where multiple different types of shoes/boots were and understand the layout. The most enjoyable part of the job was really feeling like I could be myself there and be part of a strong team.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
i really enjoyed working there, but the manager had favourites and they got all the hours. I didn't pass my probation because it showed I was late multiple times in 3 months, but in fact I was only late once, all of the other times it was due to the clock in system being extremely slow and 3 of us needing to clock in at one time on one system. this was the only reason I didn't pass my probation and It showed me being late by 2 or 3 minutes, because of the system being so slow, and it was with immediate effect meaning that I had no time to find another job and concequently lost my flat and had to move away from Manchester back to where my family lived.
all of this even though the manager told me a week before that I had passed my probation and so I got a longer lease on my flat.
Pros
good discount
Working at my current role has been productive for me as I have learnt a lot in terms how to be productive and how to be organised as well being professional.
Pros
Frequent holiday
Cons
Lack of hours
I learned a lot about how to sell expensive products effectively and how to successfully reassure the customers to invest in Dr Marten products. Management team was professional and understanding. Loved my time working here.
Pros
good discount
- Greeting customers and achieving sales.
- Keeping the shop floor tidy and well presented

- Daily & Weekly Targets Reviewing targets

- Management was amazing, really friendly and understanding

- Most enjoyable part of the job was the team.
Pros
65% Discount 5 x month, flexible hours & cover
Cons
Some very quiet hours and low footfall but very rarely