Dorset Police Employee Reviews

Nice people, poor working practices
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon10 March 2019
Generally a pleasant place to work. Good work/life balance, flexitime and flexible working available. Colleagues are almost all very nice to work with and to communicate with.

The location of my role was at Middlemoor Headquarters. Convenient for the M5 and free parking.

Awful salary. The HR management team have no principles.
Pros
Flexitime, Flexible Working Opportunities
Cons
Poor salary, poor HR management
Productive often stressful workplace
Duties Officer (Former Employee) –  Head Office at Winfrith12 January 2019
As the nature of the job was changeable you never knew what each day brought which made it an interesting workplace. We could get a request for officers for a search at short notice and would have to staff them with the required number of officers. The days were never the same and this made it interesting. The hardest part of the job was to make sure all the areas were staffed with enough officers to be able to help the public in times of emergency. The most enjoyable part was the interaction with the officers.
Pros
Seeing the good the officers did
Cons
Short notice searches could be stressful
Every day is different
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Winfrith, Dorset4 December 2018
A diverse range of work where people are at the centre of everything you do.
Protecting the vulnerable, supporting the bereaved, dealing with conflict and preventing / detecting crime are just some of the things you’ll deal with in a shift.
The hardest part of the job is coping with the traumatic incidents you will attend whilst maintaining a level of resilience to continue to the next job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making a positive difference to the lives of people you’ve never met before.
Pros
The acquisition of life skills
Cons
Poor work / life balance
Diverse job role
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  dorset22 July 2018
Very interesting work, working with diverse clients. Lone working and team working opportunities. Lots of opportunities for career progressions within the company
No day ever the same
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Dorset25 January 2018
No day is ever the same. A sometimes stressful job where you work shifts including nights. This can be difficult when balancing family life. A rewarding job nonetheless.
Leading the way in Police communication
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Winfrith, Dorset4 January 2018
Dorset Police is a great place to work, the management and work ethos is one of the best I have experienced. They are always looking for new ways to promote modern policing.
Intensiv och spännande miljö
Call taker/Radio Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Dorset17 November 2017
Då man jobbar med hög säkerhet som underlag är detta ett mycket bra arbetsplats.
Pros
Stödjande och omväxlande miljö
Cons
24 timmars arbete, då ingår det natt pass.
Good career choice
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Dorset15 August 2017
I spent 21 years in Dorset Police. Left 10 years ago so many things will have changed but I always found management supportive and understanding. Probably more pressure these days.
Pros
Pay, culture
Cons
Shifts
Police Community Support Officer
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Verwood, Dorset3 January 2017
Community Engagement. Public facing. Crime prevention. Foot patrol. Public calling you plastic. Opens your eyes to all parts of society.
A fun and productive workplace
Victim Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth16 November 2016
My typical day at work was usually very good, The co-workers were very friendly and everyone was willing to help if anyone needed it. The environment was quite relaxed however the work had to be done. The management team were also very nice and very helpful if I needed anything. Generally it was a very good volunteer role.
great for the cv, bad for progression
customer analyst assistant (Current Employee) –  Wool12 July 2016
dorset police looks good on your cv, espically for someone like me (young undergraduate), making me infinitely more employable. However long term its hard to build a career with progression being slow, many leave after a few years.
Pros
CV looks good
Cons
Progression slow, pay poor
good
Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dorset4 July 2016
good place to work but has its limitations on its benefits, few annual salary increases per year , not much annual leave entitlement
government cuts
police officer (Current Employee) –  Ferndown, ENG2 November 2015
far too many government cutbacks for the future. good ol Ms May has decided to seriously cull an incredible and worthy area.

get rid of the PCC to save some money.
Pros
4pm finish
Cons
Lacking furute job security with Government cuts
Its not for everyone.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth2 June 2015
Dorset Police will offer good training and a good pension scheme. However as with any police service it definitely has its lows and being in the public eye so often can at times be difficult.
Has been a secure position
ENQUIRY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, ENG4 November 2014
I have worked for the police for 24 years. I enjoy my job and am a popular member of staff my job includes shift work the earlies shift is starting at 0700 hours and the latest is 2200 start when I start at 0700 hours I make myself aware of messages and incidents I check who is in custody and make myself aware of any serious incidents should I take phone calls re the incident I organise our squads social lunches
Pros
Pension
Cons
Dorset police want to amalgamate with devon and cornwall
A good place to work
Crash Desk Administrator/Summons Inputter (Current Employee) –  Dorchester, ENG6 May 2014
My typical day involves checking for answerphone messages, dealing with incoming internal post and sorting items into date order that have to be booked in, dealing with requests for letters and information to be sent out to the public, dealing with telephone calls from staff and the general public. I input information to various systems, interrogate those systems for information and share that information with colleagues when necessary.
I have learned how to use Microsoft Outlook for e-mail and managing tasks, about Manual Handling, Fire Safety and other in-house training opportunities. I would say management and supervisors and supportive of all staff particularly when dealing with sickness absence. My co-workers are also very supportive and helpful when dealing with day-to-day tasks and help with any new tasks we face. The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the public and fellow staff and give information they require.
Pros
Wages, environment, colleagues, aspects of work
Cons
Long way from home, certain hours, aspects of work
Faultless Employer & True Job Satisfaction
Warrants Officer (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, ENG19 December 2013
Typical day at work:
* Check overnight arrests to verify warrants in possession are still live
* Collect new warrants and perform background checks/risk assessments
* Follow up leads to locate and arrest individuals wanted on warrant
* Process arrested individuals through custody including booking in, searches, completing court paperwork and fingerprint/DNA collection
Productive, always work with staff
CIB Support officer (Former Employee) –  winfrith3 September 2012
enjoyable days work, very easy place to be, management was always accomidating