Dorset Police

Dorset Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews
I worked at Dorset Police whilst on placement at Bournemouth University and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. All staff were welcoming, friendly and supportive which allowed me to gain so much from my 3 month placement.
A very demanding but rewarding place to work. No two days are the same but expect to work very hard. Very good job satisfaction. The team work is extra ordinary.
Shift work, dealing with 101 calls, long hours and stressful situations to deal with. But can be very rewarding when you help the vulnerable. Very short staffed so lots of overtime. Minimal staff benefits or facilities. Free On site parking . It takes a certain type of person to love this job. I love it
Official Interpreter , if needed .. Translating documents or conversation simultaneously. It also gave me an extra opportunity to translate official documents.
Long hours. Generally underappreciated. Constant form changes and directives.
So much duplicitous form filling and no police staff to reduce the workload.
Pros
General autononmy
Cons
Shift work . 10-12 Hour shifts. Weekend working
Generally a pleasant place to work. Good work/life balance, flexitime and flexible working available. Colleagues are almost all very nice to work with and to communicate with.

The location of my role was at Middlemoor Headquarters. Convenient for the M5 and free parking.

Awful salary. The HR management team have no principles.
Pros
Flexitime, Flexible Working Opportunities
Cons
Poor salary, poor HR management
As the nature of the job was changeable you never knew what each day brought which made it an interesting workplace. We could get a request for officers for a search at short notice and would have to staff them with the required number of officers. The days were never the same and this made it interesting. The hardest part of the job was to make sure all the areas were staffed with enough officers to be able to help the public in times of emergency. The most enjoyable part was the interaction with the officers.
Pros
Seeing the good the officers did
Cons
Short notice searches could be stressful
A diverse range of work where people are at the centre of everything you do.
Protecting the vulnerable, supporting the bereaved, dealing with conflict and preventing / detecting crime are just some of the things you’ll deal with in a shift.

The hardest part of the job is coping with the traumatic incidents you will attend whilst maintaining a level of resilience to continue to the next job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making a positive difference to the lives of people you’ve never met before.
Pros
The acquisition of life skills
Cons
Poor work / life balance
Secure and a great place to work. Excellent employee support. All staff very professional and very good inter department relationships. Probably one of the best employers in Dorset.
Very interesting work, working with diverse clients. Lone working and team working opportunities. Lots of opportunities for career progressions within the company
No day is ever the same. A sometimes stressful job where you work shifts including nights. This can be difficult when balancing family life. A rewarding job nonetheless.
Dorset Police is a great place to work, the management and work ethos is one of the best I have experienced. They are always looking for new ways to promote modern policing.
Då man jobbar med hög säkerhet som underlag är detta ett mycket bra arbetsplats.
Pros
Stödjande och omväxlande miljö
Cons
24 timmars arbete, då ingår det natt pass.
I spent 21 years in Dorset Police. Left 10 years ago so many things will have changed but I always found management supportive and understanding. Probably more pressure these days.
Pros
Pay, culture
Cons
Shifts
Community Engagement. Public facing. Crime prevention. Foot patrol. Public calling you plastic. Opens your eyes to all parts of society.
My typical day at work was usually very good, The co-workers were very friendly and everyone was willing to help if anyone needed it. The environment was quite relaxed however the work had to be done. The management team were also very nice and very helpful if I needed anything. Generally it was a very good volunteer role.
dorset police looks good on your cv, espically for someone like me (young undergraduate), making me infinitely more employable. However long term its hard to build a career with progression being slow, many leave after a few years.
Pros
CV looks good
Cons
Progression slow, pay poor
good place to work but has its limitations on its benefits, few annual salary increases per year , not much annual leave entitlement
I enjoyed part of it , but i have to say the hours were not very good. When i first started they were good then they changed the shifts about 3 weeks into our training.
far too many government cutbacks for the future. good ol Ms May has decided to seriously cull an incredible and worthy area.

get rid of the PCC to save some money.
Pros
4pm finish
Cons
Lacking furute job security with Government cuts
Dorset Police will offer good training and a good pension scheme. However as with any police service it definitely has its lows and being in the public eye so often can at times be difficult.