Domestic & General

Domestic & General Employee Reviews

Senior management out of touch with day to day job. Unrealistic expectations made even more apparent in lockdown. IT systems that are constantly going wrong and are basically not fit for purpose. Decisions made at senior level that change from day to day and give the general impression of incompetence. Rather than actually dealing with fundamental issues, D&G would rather just throw money into overtime rates and not look at the issues of stress/burnout across the board. Poor recruitment strategy, team leaders who are useless at managing staff and just hide behind reports and process are just a few of the other things that I would advise not joining D&G for. So many of my colleagues and myself are looking for other jobs. The money may be good, but in the long run, it’s more worth it. Steer clear.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Everything but the pay
Hateful, oppressive environment. Horrible managers act like snakes. No trust, no respect. Desks were never cleaned. Managers never listen, Just pile more pressure to hit targets. Id rather gouge my own eyes out than to work there again!
Cons
Loved my job loved the customers and the people in my team, as soon as they started you working fromHome there was no support by mangers, they used to disappear for days without telling you. In the office you are constantly under the eye of floor Walkers who have a go at you as soon as you leave. Highly targeted if you don’t hit your target your gone. Whenever something changes it take ages for you to be told then you fail calls for saying the wrong thing and that’s half your bonus gone.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management are the worst, no support
If you don’t value yourself and you want to be degraded and humiliated this is a perfect job for you.If you’re doing this job because you think you’re going to give people good service trust me your not. Its a SALES ROLE.A quick summary of the job, all you will do is transfer transfer transfer to different companies because the customers come through to you via manufacturers on the switch board, and the call quality is absolute shocking you have people coming through to yourself asking for TV remotes for their TV, then your expected to pitch on insurance, and ask about other appliances in the kitchen to cross sell on.If your doing this job to progress in your career then avoid at all cost you will never progress in this company unless you’re a bottom feeder that is the only way to progress and it takes a long time.Also the management is an absolute joke, they do not care about anyone or anything apart from targets targets targets.When you read the job description it’s all a load of rubbish you don’t get any of it, until you pass your six month probation and to pass the 6 month probation it is very very very difficult and they make it very hard for you to pass.
Pros
rota
Cons
reading a sales pitch all day
I've worked here for a year and the training process was a really enjoyable experience however my training group got 2 weeks of training whereas the standard length is 4. The turnover of staff seems quite high but a lot of this is transferring between departments. There is obvious tension between departments due to disagreements over processes as well as management as they often giving conflicting advice. There are poor reviews left by customers but from my experience a majority of customers do finish their experience happy. Targets are quite high but management are understanding about this if you do struggle.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
High expectations
I have worked here for about 2-4 months and hated it. They just want you to sit on the phone all day and if you put the phone on busy for 1 second just to grab a tissue or anything the “supervisor” comes to you straight away to ask why you’re on busy? The job is so repetitive and stressful and the “management” doesn’t have a clue as to what they’re doing. It’s not professional. It’s horrible. There were few people that worked there that were really nice but everyone agreed that it was an awful place to work in! Avoid!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything!
I’ve worked here since Oct 2019 after being in the leisure industry for over 15 years! Easiest money I’ve ever made with the most support and the least stress!! The company benefits are superb and the people are amazing! Extra support with working at home with Covid is felt every day! Amazing place to work 💕
Pros
Money, atmosphere, support, people
Cons
Late shifts
Worked here with no problems until Covid and working from home. Symptoms have issues and seeing as this has a high data protection procedure I found myself having access and inadvertently bei g able to listen to every recorded conversation. I raised this problem on several occasions with management without anything being resolved.... Low and behold because I raised my Concerns I had an accusation made that I was listening to calls I shouldn't be and told could either leave or be sacked.... They dont like a whistle blower here!!!... I obviously left as a small fish in a big pond and needed a clean C. V.
Pros
Cons
Bad managment
Domestic and general is a great place to work if you enjoy sitting on the phone all day and being made to feel bad if you don't make sale after sale. You get hired for a customer service role but the only service they care about is servicing cash from their accounts. After three months I had been bounced to three different departments and was told to make sales even when they wanted to fix their washing machine
Pros
Good pay, benefits, free food.
Cons
Pushed to perform, revolving door culture
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Domestic & General?
Awful place to work. Management are constantly watching over you and repeatedly tried to make me quit. They only care about themselves, and there is never anyone to talk to if you are struggling with work. Very unsupportive, including management and staff
Training at D&G was very good. Friendly trainers, lots of enthusiasm etc. You get paid for basically a few weeks of easy work and a good time. However, as soon as you get onto the call centre floor everything changes for the worse! This is not the “Customer service role” they say it will be. SALES SALES SALES. Even during the COVID-19 pandemic they increased everyone’s sales target significantly! At a time where people are losing jobs/worried about money they still put the pressure on call agents to then make more sales. You are expected to argue with customers to take out the insurance that they have said they don’t want. Even when customers ask you not to tell them about the insurance/they don’t believe in it or even if they can’t afford it! The response we’ve been told to tell the people who can’t afford it is “Well can you afford a break down costing £100+” All morals have to go out of the window to do this job! Even when people ring up to register a £10 radio we still have to offer the insurance of around £3 a month! If we do not do this you get told off/sent into formal meetings as it’s a “conduct” issue. You get told your not treating the customer “fairly” if you don’t try to put insurance on every item they have in their home. Even if the customer has repeatedly said no! Furthermore you are only aloud 8 minutes per day “personal” time. So this will include all toilet breaks and if you need to go get yourself some water etc. If you go over this, you will be disciplined. One day I took 2 minutes personal, the next I took 10 minutes and was still told that my - more...
D&G just fired the last group of registration trainees when corona started. Trainees were told the company could furlough them but they did not believe it was fair so fired all of them and promised they would be re-employed without need for another interview. This did not happen they now have "new" positions so everyone has to interview again for a position that pays £17 per week more than minimum wage. The company sound wonderful in the ad but in reality its a lot different. You do get commission but if you fail one call you lose 50% of all your commission and fail two calls and its 100%. All the benefits they mention sound fantastic but you dont actually get any of them for the first 6 months and even then you only qualify for a fraction of what they boast about. Basically unless you are management and have been there long enough to be in the clique then forget about any extras. The contract they hand out is terrible and a prime example of modern wage slavery. I can only hope anyone who applies to work there will read this review and at the very least ask some questions before accepting an interview there. The biggest sin the interviewers commit is lying by omission. Educate yourselves and ask them direct questions they cant wrangle out of.
Over all a good place to work. Can be improved interms of professional growth with more options. Work life balance is not great . .............,......
Excellent company to work for, although they pay terrible salaries across the board. Management do tend to look after their employees and the moral in most sites is excellent and they really work as a team
The training at D&G was great. The trainers were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. After completing the classroom based and on the floor training, candidates are moved into a team for ‘newbies’ where extra coaching and training is supposed to be provided. I found the ‘floorwalkers’ or more experienced staff who were there to help were amazing. The manager of this team however was useless...
The most boring job ever. You spend the whole day saying over and over the same speech to people who don't really want to talk to you. You are on an automatic dialing system, which means you have no time between one call and another. You must make a minimum amount of sales per day or you are got rid of.
Interactions with various stakeholders, varied, pleasant staff. Good exposure to business processes. Free fruit and other benefits. Good location. Learning and Development opportunities.
I was told it was a customer service job. That's a bare faced lie. It is 100% sales, if you don't use the script to try and sell on every single call, you get told off by the team leaders. If a customer says they don't want the insurance and you don't try and argue it with them, you get told off. If you go to the toilet too long, you're told off.. It is awful. Team leaders are slimy, sales hungry animals who only care if you make their targets. It's no surprise that so many agent leave or get fired before they've even been here 6 months.
I left on my first full day of work. They try so hard to dress it up as customer service its actually quite funny. Its not customer service. You're cold calling people and trying to sell them something. People were fired for not selling enough. Through weeks of training its drilled into you over and over again that it's a customer service job, that youre there to help the customer. That is complete and utter BS. My phone call was split into two parts, the first part is where you try and "unlock value" by telling the customer something they didnt know about their product. As soon as you've done that, it's straight on to the sales pitch, where you try and sell them something. Its a shameless and transparent tactic, and everyone can see it coming from a mile away. Speaking to people that work there now, you're also unlikely to get a pay rise as it seems they've been saying that for years. Your commission is also capped. I dont know why they try and dress the whole thing up, if you dont mind cold calling sales then go for it, but dont be misled by the propaganda their job adverts and training preach.
Pros
Paid training and more money in your first week of sales.
Cons
Misled about the job, pay rises, commission, shameless sales tactics, have to work weekends every other week
The colleagues you work with are amazing. Everyone is the same as you trying to just get through the day. Sales are not that bad but you only get the bonus for the sales you make if you reach your target. The management keeps increasing the target and lowering the cap so less money is paid out. They would find every excuse to not pay you the bonus you worked hard for. Customers are seen as just sales and employees as numbers. The whole company only cares about the money coming in. There seem to be no progression opportunities even though roles advertise career progression since day one. Team leaders have no control over anything and are as helpless as you are. Management had changed a few times and every new manager would have new targets and new policies. The company would rather lose employees than pay them their hard earned bonuses.
Domestic and general is call centre the training for the job can be mush better, was told a lot of different things from training. high target and very busy work pay is good
  1. Employee reviews