Dobbies Garden Centres

Dobbies Garden Centres Employee Reviews

United Kingdom275 reviews
Not a bad job, made some good friends whilst working there.

Management expect far too much and don't like you goong home even after staying late. All management can be found sitting in the cafe drinking coffee and chatting, says it all really.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Poor management
My experience at working at dobbies was overall good as it is a low stress environment were staff are encouraged to work together on tasks. Also reasonable goals and tasks are given out to staff members
What was once a great company and place to work has sadly been degraded by numerous changes of senior leadership and direction, with poor oversight of store managers, leading to poor working relationships, lack of leadership and trust in teams. Ok place to work if you don’t want advancement or to learn on the job. You will need to leave to advance.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Typically every day is different with regards to customers, the job however is tedious, not a lot of praise for how hard you work- sometimes doing extra hours for no extra pay/recognition being on salary
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
This is a good place to work if you want a full time contract where your hours will be guaranteed, and also if you are looking for part time work during the summer. However the kitchen/restaurant can be a stressful place to work where you will be expected to do overtime or extra work during busy periods
my colleagues were great however the management and overall control of the place is very poor. overworked staff and no guidance from management on a day to day bases.
Theres a reason why there are multiple jobs available for this employer!
The higher management are bullies and you'll never meet people so stuck up their own backside. They only care about profit and not the staff (they sent in fruit and veg in the attempt to.stay open during lockdown!)

They want the centres to be aesthetically perfect but not willing to pay for wages or maintenance. Honestly, go elsewhere!
Excellent... Steady work, although I work part time... Very pleasent place to work....relaxed atmosphere. Can be hectic work at busy times, but all in all a very good team ethic.
Overstretched management strugling to run a large and busy Garden Centre with inadequate staff levels and apparently no help from senior management who were happy to find fault without being constuctive.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of management structure
Some aspects are good in the garden centre but as with all jobs you get input from others that cannot give input into department special knowledge but they do try . Knowledge is key in the garden centre industry as it is a speciality area so this needs to be the foremost thing
dobbies at preston is a very bad place to work, nobody has a clue how to run the catering side of the buisness and the management are just as bad at there work, well i dont understand why anybody would like to work there,
The only good thing that I got out of my experience working here is the people I met and the interview stage. Person who interviewed me was very nice and made me feel comfortable. Got offered a job in the restaurant 2 weeks later. Worked there for around 4 months. Pay is poor, around £4.30 for under 18s, workload is shocking, completely understaffed. Management were okay but definitely needed improvement as they were never able to handle how busy it was in the restaurant as I was always running around trying to keep them happy. Very high stress job with little benefits except the people you meet there. On your feet for a whole 8 hours a day only to end up with around £35! Don’t get a job here, you can do much better.
setting up ready for service,taking fridge temps etc.serving the customers,being polite and helpful,at the end of the day clearing all down and making sure everything is done to standard
enjoyed my time working here thoroughly great place to work with amazing people learnt alot of new things every day. learnt how to deal with the puplic , management is great a place where everyone comes together to help each other and provide the best customer service to customers.
I love my job but need more hours which aren’t available.
The company don’t replace anyone who has left etc but won’t give extra contracted hours so I’m looking for a part time job with a min 24 hours
There has been lots of changes during the 4 years I have worked for the garden centre and they are onow wned by Dobbies who appear to be a difficult company to work for.
They expect you to do everything at the same time and don't consider the other jobs you have when giving you another. They expect you to multitask at 150% the entire shift.
Good team but wages aren’t great. Busy environment and constantly on the go. Hardest when dealing with difficult customers. Online training is kept up to date.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Wages
My best place for work ever, since i came in to Scotland,Love my manager and her assistant, supervisor And my colleagues at work are all lovely people.
Working there was ok it was the management that didn't have a clue what they were doing .employing managers that have no idea how to run a kitchen and a bakery is the problem .and the staff suffer because of it .
Every day always begun with reviewing targets from the day/week before and we were always being compared to results from the year before, receiving little credit for good work and mistakes were looked upon to heavily.
Pros
Small discount for overpriced food
Cons
Under 18s received only £4.55ph
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dobbies Garden Centres. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6