Dobbies Garden Centres Employee Reviews

Dobbies perth
Table Hand (Former Employee) –  Perth14 October 2019
Staff run into the ground, some staff working through their break. Management is a joke, lack of communication throughout restaurant. Some staff lazy and rude. Other staff having to pick up other staffs work duties which is unfair. Bullying and staff being treated unfairly. No consistancy throughout restaurant or management. Place has gone down hill and reviews from customers not good.
Wasnt a well run store
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent4 October 2019
The store was under poor management and was very unorganised I wouldnt recommend anyone to work there
Most of the staff are rude and do anything to laze about
good while it lasted
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh28 August 2019
friendly staff but bad management. the pay is very bad not worth the amount of work that you have to do. they treat younger staff different to others which was unfair.
management?
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria18 August 2019
If ur parents r management, ul get a job here. If ur parents r management, ul get away wid anything.
Clicky staff.
Good discount in the restaurant though.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
4 hours
Positive Enviroment and Fun workplace
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Speke17 August 2019
After leaving Dobbies after my four week work placement i came out learning a lot of new skills i could use towards my baking for example, moulding bread, weighing ingredients to the exact measurements, preparation for scones and piping bag skills and making sure im constantly working in a clean Enviroment.
Pros
Learned new skills.
Cons
Had to leave after four weeks.
Fun, but dreadful pay with high expectations
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shepton Mallet, Somerset14 August 2019
The job itself is good fun, but it's minimum wage, no chance to progress and management who keep expecting more with no praise or reward. Hours change with little or no consultation so you can't always guarantee your salary at the end of the month.
Bullying and gossiping
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fife20 July 2019
Manager and supervisors would gossip about staff members below themselves and would single out or exclude staff. Supervisor wouldn't let front of house staff move from tills, even for a toilet break if quiet. Management was absolutely terrible, even picked on other staff members for the way they styled their hair. The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was short staffed elsewhere and didn't have to be around management.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Not a happy environment
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Ethiebeaton,monifieth13 July 2019
Only done 3 shifts as kp at ethiebeaton on arrival first shift didn't get an induction,very busy kitchen ventilation wasn't working deserves no stars.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
a good work experiance
Pot washer and tray cleaner (Former Employee) –  Barlborough11 July 2019
I was working in the cafe for two weeks for work experience. Its a good place to work if your planning to go into catering industry. But I does get repetitive sometimes.
Pros
its gives you plenty of experiance
Cons
hard to find if you don't now where it is.
Mangement
Baker (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire5 July 2019
Worked for the company for 10 years and was only reconised when the boss's wanted something from you. Never asked if you were ok or needing help. I wouldn't work for them again as it's too kleeky it's only if your face fits "company"
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Overworked underpaid
Nightmare
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire30 June 2019
Disorganised and borderline abusive management. Like most minimum wage jobs, staff are expected to work way beyond pay grade for pennies while management sit and make demands. Avoid at all costs.
Too many chiefs
Gardener Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yarm road, Easglescliffe, Stockton29 June 2019
I applied to work here only a few months ago before the company changed its name, I had a quickest health and safety induction of less than five minutes before being told to start without being given a talk on hours or who's who, the uniforms are a find what fits.

You don't find the staff being friendly and helpful but more like patronising to the point of being rude and very un-helpful your there dogsbody to fetch and carry while they parade around thinking they know everything, the covered plant area is tidy but the outside plant stands are a mess! the delivery yard is a joke.

There are too many who think they are in charge and will throw there weight around so be warned! the role is ideal for over 50's or students looking for part time.
Pros
Some staff discount
Cons
Awful staff attitude
good fun
Horticultural Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Livingston23 June 2019
Working here was an enjoyable working environment with good coworkers. My only real complaint was that they didn't let me know that they weren't keeping me on past my initial seasonal contract until just before it finished.
Pros
staff discount on a great selection of products
Cons
seasonal work
Serious and Productive Workplace
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Barlborough, Derbyshire17 June 2019
I felt like the management, was really there to talk to, or ask questions about the role. The hardest part was being on my feet all day and getting used to it. I was being a cleaner and washer of the cutlery.
Pros
Felt like a proper job.
Cons
Only a work experience
Fun workplace but low pay
Horticultural Advisor (Former Employee) –  Livingston25 May 2019
Pay was very low, especially for the amount of hard work was put into every shift but i did learn a lot about plant botany and did get to meet a lot of lovely people.
Fun place to work
Frontend Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gailey, Staffordshire20 May 2019
Having worked at Dobbies for just under two years I learnt a lot of valuable skills. This was my first job and didn't have any customer care skills or extensive knowledge about the business and how it was run. I began on the tills where I learnt how to undertake the basic transactions and built up my knowledge of the products. After some months, I was confident enough to move into different departments helping out where was needed. This was something I enjoyed about the job, being trusted to help in different departments. The hardest part of the job was often when the staff was lower than normal. This often happened, not through the company's fault but usually down to staff illness. This often caused some issues when it got busier. However, overall Dobbies was a very fun place to learn and it enabled me to learn most of my skills I have now which I hope to utilise more in the future.
Pros
Friendly place to work
Cons
Sometimes understaffed
Productive but not the best atmosphere.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atherstone, Warwickshire13 May 2019
A typical day at work for my involved standing at the tills waiting for customers to come and pay for their products and depending on the hours I was working I would normally help clean up after the day. However, my hours were varying from week to week so some weeks I was working 6/8 hours and others I was working for 4 so they were never consistent.
Pros
30 Minute lunch break, 3 Different employee discounts depending on the part of the store.
Cons
Long Hours, Lots of standing around.
exhausting
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside10 May 2019
used to be nice years ago then h/o changes made working there intolerable due to constant changes in store layout, no one can make a decision, one director didn't like the stock we sold so it was all sold off 90% off then brought in stuff no one wanted, he left then they bought in same original stock , great business sense, not.
place over run by rats and staff was expected to clean up after them, no common sense whatsoever or care about the staff and customers.
Pros
nice team in store
Cons
awful company
fun place
Foodhall (Former Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down19 April 2019
learned alot about general gardening
management was fine tho started to all leave
best part off the job would off been the staff
Started off Great tho declined little by little
Pros
fun, closed at 6pm
Cons
no full time hours or progression
cruel management
Restaurant Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh16 April 2019
management run a bullying culture, sending staff and customers into tears and arguments. the pay is awful, especially for under 18 (£4.55!). you’re being worked off your feet all day and management put huge amount of effort into the fact they can fire you whenever. the staff discount is 50% or 10% off food which is ridiculous seeing as we work in a food industry where we handle food all day. the staff are very friendly and the only thing keeping my going. sometimes staff are forced to have their half hour lunch break at 10.30AM, even though the management dope around all day doing nothing.
Pros
50% off some of the food, the staff
Cons
bullying management, pay, rude customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dobbies Garden Centres. Our community is ready to answer.