Play YouTube video button

Dixons Carphone Employee Review

View all Dixons Carphone reviews

Poor work-life balance
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG2 July 2015
I worked in two shops; the first was in Wales and the second was in Manchester.

In the former, a typical day was relatively varied, between sales, customer first contact, shop cleanliness etc and paperwork. This was quite similar in the latter store, although the space was used a lot better.

The latter was a positive place of work; the former was not. The senior colleagues there did not get along; the impact on the rest of us was that there was much sniping; management was rather self-centred and at times unfair in his expectations (e.g. I was forced to come in on a day where I had called in sick).

I moved from there to Princess Road as soon as I could (although I still experienced a great deal of unnecessary and personal resistance from the manager about this).

Princess Road was more relaxed - ultimately it was a quieter store. I had a great rapport with the manager of the time, and most things had a more positive outlook.

However as time wore on I was given a lot of responsibility, which in of itself was not a problem; I seemed to have no respect regarding my personal life - often shifts were only given to me *the day before* they occurred. This of course meant I could not plan any holidays or social engagements *just in case* I was called in to work the next day (this was the one thing I missed from the previous store - rota manager was great at getting you what shifts you needed off with notice, and you generally knew what you were doing a week or two in advance).

Finally, the reason I left the company was that I was told I had to "Manage" the latter Store,
  more... on my own, for 3 weeks, when really a manager should have stepped in, even if it were from a different region!
The only benefits I saw from this was the ability to put it on my CV for future roles. I *did not* receive any remuneration for this AT ALL. Needless to say, I am unhappy about this, and will be taking it further.

Overall, any prospects of a good work-life balance was trampled into dust within a couple of months; my intelligence and abilities were not used to its fullest extent, despite my attempts to move to a different area of the company.

I understand that with thousands of colleagues to answer for, it is difficult to be motivated when your rights as an employee are overlooked in the name of margin and profits
Pros
discounts on selected items; private health insurance
Cons
lack of respect between colleagues (between all channels and all levels), lack of recognition when we are seen to do something positive which is not to do with profits

Other Dixons Carphone Employee Reviews

ok
Senior Business Customer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poole16 November 2019
management are very poncy and think they are gods gift. The amount of work that is expected out of you is crazy and you are expected to also do other peoples jobs too. lovely new office in poole but dont be fooled.
Official response from Dixons Carphone
18 November 2019

Thanks for leaving us some feedback.

We would always encourage colleagues to have an open conversation with their line manager or HR to solve any issues around workload.

Best of luck with your next role
Dixons Carphone Careers Team

I looking for imediat work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire14 November 2019
I am good working and more eperience in warehouse,i like working in pace and calm working place and fast pace, and i am very respectfully and honest with all colegue
Official response from Dixons Carphone
18 November 2019

You can view our vacancies in Newark on our careers site;

Thanks
Dixons Carphone Careers Team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixons Carphone. Our community is ready to answer.