Dixons Carphone Employee Reviews for Sales Advisor

Featured review
Dixons Carphone selected this as a representative review
Plenty of progression Routes. If you want them
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea, Essex6 September 2019
Excellent place to work, 30 min lunch, you get to meet plenty of customers which can be a excellent experience or a nightmare depending on how you conduct yourself.

i'd say you really get a chance to show your personality in the job. and if you're willing to apply yourseld then progression is usually just an application away.

mangement are supportive in most stores and are willing to help you with personal goals and the higher management are approachable.

even the CEO team are there to listen to feedback at various confrences so your voice is heard if thats what you want.
Pros
progression is achievable
Not a great place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 August 2017
Advancement is super slow. Management do not allow many favours when you need them however expect you to be there on their beckoned call whenever necessary "for them".
I promise you that if you go for this job you will regret it
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex5 July 2017
All Dixons care about is there targets, not you, not the customers or not anything other than hbb (Home Broad Band) and other stupid targets. They will give you little to no training. They will moan and threaten to sack you if you don't hit there stupid targets.
All in all I would not recommend this job to ANYONE.
Pros
10% even tho i got moaned at for using it
Cons
managment... whole thing is corrupt
Only if desperate
Sales Advisor - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands25 June 2017
The Pros:
10% discount, but lets face it, with minimum wage you wont be able to afford anything anyway

The Cons:
Insane numbers of KPI's for a minimum wage job,
poor management
social skills,
no progression,
no real appraisal,
generally a miserable experience
Pros
Cons
Insane numbers of KPI's for a minimum wage job, poor management social skills, no progression, no real appraisal, generally a miserable 4 years of my life
no progression doesn't care about its staff only targets
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cheetham Hill, Greater Manchester14 March 2017
No real incentives for its staff management is shocking constantly on your case for targets finding anyway to squeeze money out of it customers helped me alot with sales and being open with people and finding the needs for people other than that not a good place to work atall!
Awful Company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ashford, Kent15 February 2017
Company expected three days consecutive training to take place in Birmingham away from my young family, after phoning the company and explaining due to anxiety I could not go without a family member they told me that was fine. After gaining another phone call to book the tickets I was then told they would not allow another person to go with me. They expect you to be fully flexible at all times to take shifts at an instant. They care more about sales targets and getting a 9 or 10 customer service rating than looking after customers. They focus all their energy on selling broadband and extras even if someone comes in just wanting a phone.
Cons
target driven, little care about colleagues, no care for those with diaabilities.
targets are too high
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire28 January 2017
the atmosphere felt like a Victorian work house,
the fun of selling has been taking out of the place the lunch breaks are a joke only half an hour and sometimes you don't have a chance for a break
Pros
work colllegues
Cons
Awful place to work with awful management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth25 October 2016
I used to love my job, until I realised how hard hitting targets are. Customers don't always want antivirus, care plans and all that rubbish, but managers don't understand that. It gets to the point where people have illegally set up a direct debit for the customer without them knowing! If the place was a lot happier and targets were a lot less harsh, it would be a wonderful place to work.

I always put the customer first, but that makes me more at risk of losing my job. "Currys PC World, we start with you" Unfortunately we don't start with the customer, we start with the numbers and targets and that is not fair at all! Managers bully you into getting the numbers and its disgusting. Not enough pay either and for what we do, commission should be in place!
Pros
Some discounts
Cons
Managers
Very productive and a fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Blackburn20 August 2016
Responsibilities Everyday at Dixsons carphone was a different day, as a sales advisor my job role involved assisting the customers with the selection of products, alongside processing payments, also maintaing stock levels. And the maintenance and involvement of a high level of customer service. Accomplishments I worked alongside managers and other sales advisors I was also part of a team, this impact gave me a great deal of knowledge of the company and also of product knowledge. I gained a great deal of understanding of how the company operates. Skills Used A vital skill within this role is the ability to work with a customer's needs by applying and including good interpersonal skills and communication skills. I also demonstrated skills such as; * using computer applications * being responsible and trustworthy * being confident * using my own initiative * being a team player * getting along with everyone * being professional * being persuasive less. The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving goals and meeting the customers requirements, also to be yourself
Pros
Great support
Sink or swim
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  York2 August 2016
If you have worked elsewhere this may not be for you. Ideal place to learn about retail. Diverse group of staff, and managers. Career advancement opportunities depends on which store and department you work in.
Varied job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chippenham11 April 2016
Good company to work for and progressed well in time with company with a bit of encouragement. Lots of chance for days away to learn about specialty products.

Hard part was the travel personally at that time getting there on time due to public travel and when working up with white goods evenings were usually pretty quiet so could do cleaning and closing down tasks.

Could stay on occasionally to help change promotion posters/banners and was a good chance to earn some overtime but doesn't come up all the time.
Pros
long lunch
Cons
Amazing work place, Daily people interactions and dealings.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  London11 April 2016
My usual day at Dixon Retail consists of meet and greet people from different fields of life. My main job is to assist all our respected customers for buying the right products according to their needs. I try to find best deals for the customers and make sure every one left the store with happiness. I have great bonding with my co- workers, we all work together with great harmony and helping hand in a team.Hardest part of the job is when we are unable to serve each and every customer during weekends and busy times. I enjoy meeting people and serve them by full heart, gives me real happiness.
Pros
Products at discount rates
Cons
overtime payments not on time
Good
Sales Advisor/B2B/Apple Rep (Current Employee) –  Catford, ENG19 September 2015
Good company to work for when your in college or university. i loved every minute i worked there. i always recommend for students and graduates to get some customer service experience
Pros
Nice Collegues
Cons
n/a
Great
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  SCT1 September 2015
The work enviromet was very good, very flexible with shifts and offered more work if i wanted. Busy which kept you on your feet all day.
Busy but rewarding job
CSA/Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield21 July 2015
Dixons is a busy but rewarding place to work. The contact centre is always busy but you will feel that you've accomplished something when you've helped your customers There's good rewards for good performance. This is a good company to work for
Horrible place to work
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire14 March 2015
After working at the Hertfordshire store for over a year I left as soon as possible. The atmosphere in the store is horrible, the mangers are rude towards you, it's mostly male colleagues so if your female you will be stuck on a till all day and continually spoken down too. Continually moaned at for not selling customers added on insurance they don't want. i wouldn't recommend working here to anyone.
A fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  East Kilbride, SCT15 January 2015
Involves talking to customers, establishing their needs and creating a solution that suits them. The company encourages you to learn about current and upcoming technology in order to relay this information to the customer.
Productive workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Banbury, ENG28 June 2014
Learned vital product knowledge and gained key sales skills.
Provided good customer service.
Management can be poor on occasions.
Everyday was a new day with our highly enthusiastic and passionate team
SALES ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  London, United Kingdom30 May 2014
I was working as a Sales Assistant in Currys which is part of Dixons Retail Group. My job was to sell computers and laptops to the customers by demonstrating them the new technologies and their use.I used to cater to different customers everyday and tailor the product package according to their needs. It was a target- driven role and I always used to achieve my sales targets and help my team mates.
I learned a lot from this job. It was my first job in London and I learned about the work culture. I learned how to effectively and efficiently work in a team and make friends with people. I used to meet different people everyday and I became more confident by approaching and talking to strangers. I became more proactive in helping people and started relationship- building with the customers so that they come back again and again to our store. I also learned about different processes and how to handle B2B customers so as to assist my managers.
My management team was very supportive and well- organised. When, I first joined the team it was hard for me to learn about laptops as I never had so much information about them. But, my managers trained me for the first week and with my quick- learning abilities I became one of the top sales person in three weeks time. They always used to appreciate our work and help us in handling difficult customer issues.
My colleagues were the essential part of my work, I used to make sure to greet each one of them whenever I was in store. I used to help them and they used to help me. We had a very fun-loving, enthusiastic and healthy atmosphere at
  more... our workplace. We also used to go out for Christmas party,and bowling.
I enjoyed every day over there and the most enjoyable part was that I used to enjoy my work. I used to get fair salary and great benefits.
Pros
Bowling, Day outs, Christmas Parties, Appreciation for work
Fun environment, minimal progression.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chester, ENG6 April 2014
A typical day for myself involves: Setting up laptops on the Technician bar, Educating Staff and the public on products and expanding on my own knowledge by using the products and conversing with the in-store representatives. My primary role is to develop the sales of the computing department with my team to get the best possible results. Communication between staff is key to success, not only support the sales figures but to help those that might be having difficulty with any difficult situations they might have.
The hardest part of the job is progression internally, you have to fight for everything. Training can be the most difficult to get through: you pick two areas of the store you wish to train on e.g. Televisions, Photography, White Goods, Computers.
The difficulty comes when there are only 2 sessions a year for some of the modules and they are your only way through to training to get better pay.
Pros
10% Discount on all products. 20% discount on Apple
Cons
Long hours, Low Pay, High Pressure.
if I could give it less than one star I would
EX- sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Aberystwyth9 January 2014
Dixons retail are not only braking numerous trading standards but they expect you to aswel. Zero communication or organisation. No real training unless you count the 'motivational' speach given to you by someone very similar, but less funny than ricky gervais. During this speech they talk of how wonderfully successful currys are due to 'bending' what you tell the customers. They also boast of the money they bring in because you put through thousends of pounds of sales for a pitiful minimum wage. The 'career ladder' might aswel not exist. There employment method was literally laughable. I have years of management experience and unfortunatly had to go for this job due to redundancy. I was later told they never looked at my cv. And they couldnt be bothered to interview anyone else. You can of course tell this system doesnt work because they have a number of incompitant morons running the place. In general the staff are lovely. But where they find the people who 'run' the store I dont know. Zero consideration for customers or staff. And a total lack of knowledge on how to maximise the productiveness of the store. As an example, I approached my 'manager' as I had over heard him miss selling a product to a customer. The customer was not aware that he would have 13 pounds taken from his account every month. After approaching him to tell him I cancelled the transaction and was not impressed, his response was 'the most they will do is complain and we cancel it'. Bloody disgusting attitude to have. I strongly urge you DO NOT become a part of this shocking 'business'
Pros
if you dont care about people or standards, and always want to finish late with no extra pay, this is the job for you
Cons
they rip people of whenever and where ever they can, no skills, no organisation, no communication, consideration, planning, nothing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixons Carphone. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8