Dixons Carphone Employee Reviews for Sales Advisor

Only benefit is the pay
Sales Advisor/ Vision (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire31 July 2019
If you enjoy pressuring customers and getting constantly pressured due to sales target then go for it also if you’re a student don’t go for this job, they don’t care if you’re a student, I told a team leader once I couldn’t come in on Tuesdays for a month and he said he understood but kept calling me asking me where I was.
Pros
Discount and sales colleagues
Cons
Everything else
Official response from Dixons Carphone
5 August 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

We always encourage a honest working environment where colleagues can have open conversation with their line managers. We have many students working within our stores and we are sorry to hear about your experience regarding working hours. We are a retail business opening 7 days a week and usually this means we can be flexible with hours for our colleagues so that it suits their work/life balance as well as the business needs.

Dixons Carphone Careers Team

Worst place i ever worked
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire26 July 2019
I worked in the store in Blackpool. The people I worked with were great however the store manager is without a doubt the worst manager I ever had the displeasure of working with. She is rude, she doesn't care about the staff wellbeing, all she is interested in is targets and getting what she wants no matter the cost to the members of staff. I am genuinely surprised that this woman still has her job.

The deputy manager is fab, he is pleasant and is happy to help the staff where/when he can.

As for the line managers, their people skills also leave much to be desired.

There is a large amount of people that have left the store in recent months and when I've spoken to them they have all given the main reason as the store manager and the way she conducts business. Also the targets are unrealistic especially depending on which department you work in.

You best not be sick and have to take a day off because you will be met with a cold shoulder upon your return.

So unless you enjoy being belittled, put down, made out to be stupid or ignored then I really wouldn't bother applying to work here!!!!!
Pros
Chocolate from the company on your birthday
Cons
Everything else
Very fun and engaging workplace
SALES ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Sheffield9 July 2019
Working at Dixons Carphone is very good as it provides a great experience, plus you build relationships that will last a lifetime!
Pros
Great colleague offers
Cons
Long hours during peak
Hideous environment & toxic management
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire14 May 2019
Imagine being in an American high school, and you’re the one kid that gets picked on. Well, welcome to Currys PC World. Where the staff are refused breaks and managers pressure you in such an unreasonable way.

The expectations of staff are unrealistic and unreasonable, there’s a fine line between banter and a disciplinary meeting, which always bodes in favour of the management.

Discount and benefits are set to such a low standard, students get a better deal anywhere else. Lies are taught as law and numbers mean everything.

You’re not treated like people, you’re a number and an excel spreadsheet, but first you have to pay for the licensing 🤷🏼‍♂️.
Pros
Maccies across the road
Cons
Management, working hours, lack of sympathy
Not great
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield4 April 2019
A place that lacks opportunity to progress, poor earning potential. That said majority of people you work with are great. The company is poor to customers and does not fulfil the potential it could.
Avoid
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire8 February 2019
Worst company ever! Does not give a flying **** about sales advisors. Management is assisting you with NOTHING and they avoid in any possible way to talk to customers. You are asked to hit unrealistic targets and asked to lie to customers in order to sell their insurance. Even ask you to discount the price of the item and tell the customer to cancel the insurance after a week so they can hit targets. Colleagues that are selling Home Broadbands without customer knowing and setting up direct debits for insurance without customer approval, are called HEROES OF THE DAY/WEEK even though management is aware how they are reaching those sales.

Management couldn’t care less about you and will ask you to do anything. Asked to do warehouse job as staff shortage with absolutely no training or equipment! You have to sell what the customer does not need. Good review from a customer that you really helped and saved from overspending is a disciplinary from management !

Bad. Stay away!
Cons
Underpaid for what was expected
Sales Advisor - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Norfolk9 January 2019
I worked at Currys PC World for 3 years in a fairly small town; to begin with enjoyed it as I was part time. Stressed that I couldn’t work much during studies. Although as soon as the holidays came up they had me working all bar one day off. I started working full time and it just went down hill. Lulls in the business and target hitting was solely blamed on sales colleagues. The amount of KPIs you had to hit kept rising and rising. You’d be treat like a child when it came to talking to other colleagues even though the day had been manic and it was close to closing. Lunch breaks were 30 minutes no matter how long you worked. Sometimes not even getting a full break on days like Boxing Day and Black Friday.
Pros
The People I met
Cons
Long hours, Bad work Culture and Management
Stay Well Away
Sales Advisor - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire18 December 2018
All ill say is this if your face fits then your ok,, other wise the your in for a hard time from the management down to the rest of the staff, your not made to be part of a team, its all about fig, and the management will get you do anything to sell extras to customers, anf if you don't your called to one side to explain why..

like selling a sound system to somebody that's deaf,, and then trying to tell management why they did not take it..

so my advice from a former employee... STAY WELL AWAY
Pros
leaving at the end of a shift
Cons
being daft enough to join in the first place
Pressured Dixons/Carphone Warehouse
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leigh, Lancashire2 November 2018
Previously worked for PC World/Dixons. High sales driven targets KPI's on products and services are required to make a complete sale i.e. add ons due minimal margins made on each product. Re-applied again after being convinced by a former manager for PC World/Dixons after being out of work for several months. Warned by the ex-manager that head office often gave sales targets that was not enjoyable asking employees to achieve. Job application procedures have changed. For the first stage apply for the job online, secondly complete an online test and finally have a face to face interview with printed questions from recruitment software. Answers are then fed into recruitment software that inaccuractly calculates a score. If you are offered the job by the store manager good news. This is where the second stage of the process fails due to the way they operate. You are require to complete online documentation in a portal that you have no access, due to a missing username and password. If not completed your start date is increased by seven days, each time. You are stuck in a loop. It is a requirement to download a mobile app to access work schedules. Without the mobile app you do not get paid wages. They have many minor issues that mount up into a major problem, with customers and employees alike. Store managers rotate to different stores and determine how difficult the job can be due to their people skills and ability. If the store manager is difficult, most store employees then move to other stores that have a good reputation manager. Look once, think twice before working for Dixons.
Pros
Cons
Pressurised KPI selling
Targets targets targets
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sussex24 October 2018
All about the kpi, mainly home broadband in fact that is all they care about . If you don't hit your target it's disciplinary time and if you don't get people to sign up to marketing its the same. The management do not want to hear that people are in contract its get your target or get out. At times it feels that's all they care about. The needs of the customer are right at the end of the queue behind how much money you can screw out of them. If you pride yourself on good customer service then this is not the job for you. If you care about the customer it is not for you. They might talk talk the talk about caring (staff or customer) but that is defiantly not the case. Think carefully before you apply
Part time passable job
Sales Adviser (Former Employee) –  Wallsend7 October 2018
High KPI's will always be the drive in this company with them ever expanding and unachievable targets being set; however the community and colleges provide excellent support to help you in succeeding and you will get out as much as you put in.
nice and fun place
SALES ADVISER (Former Employee) –  Truro30 August 2018
good money good times, its a little community working in a phone shop. being at the forefront of technology is exciting and the benefits are amazing too!
Don’t work for this company
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire30 March 2018
I was at Currys pc world for 10 whole years at the start was best place I’ve worked but slowly went down hill, management is a joke, they don’t care about there staff one little bit,it’s all about figures and targets now, I hit My 10 targets a week most weeks but that still wasn’t good enough, they will only bring more targets aswel, no progression either after 10 years, managers like certain members of staff well them who they can turn into robots anyway, leaving is the best thing I’ve done, so stressful at currys the store I was at I’ve seen so many people leave over the years and new people come and go within few months. I’m the happiest I’ve been in my life since leaving this company.
Pros
No pros
Cons
To many targets, management a joke
Productive and fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Trowbridge5 March 2018
Whilst working at Dixons Carphone I learnt a lot about all of the products with help from the staff there and it also helped me build on my communicational skills and confidence with the public.
Did not enjoy this job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire12 February 2018
Worked here for just under two years, the job is based around targets so be aware if this is the job that you are going into. Some of the targets are achieveable but you have to be 100% on your game 100% of the time, be ready to compete with your co workers because its all fair game. Found the processing of completeting a sale tedious and repetitve as there were a lot of steps before you could actually achieve a sale by which time the outdated system is probably timed out anyways! I didn't see enough of consistent management to make a fair judge on it, I saw in excess of 5/6 managers when I was there. Last straw for me was called into a displinary meeting based on a sale which wasn't even mine, no one noticed until I pointed out that the set of initials that we linked with the sale weren't even mine! No apology was made, laughed it off as a joke, this was the start of steady run down hill which lead me to just get out when I could.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
competitve enviroment, quick move around of staff, a lot of abuse from customers for things out of your control, outdated system, long winded processes
Productive Fast paced enviroment But with Little reward
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Plymouth20 December 2017
I'm A firm believer that you definitely get out what you put in, however, when working here I found there was little to no benefit or progression in the company and a lot of the pressure was handed down to the sales advisors to meet targets. A great experience but not something I would settle for.
Pros
Friendly Co workers
Cons
Way too high pressure for the wage the offer
Sales lead
Sales Advisor - Currys / PC World (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne20 December 2017
Typical day involved selling the right product for the customer and trying to upsell add ons including insurance package.

Daily sales quotient targets.
Horrible place to work
Outbound Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire8 November 2017
Data is bad the customer's are called from 5 diff departments by carphone target's increase or are made impossible ie not enough call to convert management is very poor no concerns for staff
Lots of people leaving including higher management
Their share price has gone from 450 to 170 within the last year
They are always looking to recruit and have a very high staff turnover
Cons
Long hours not much wages if you miss bonus
See as a number
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire7 September 2017
I have worked at currys pc world as a part time sales advisor for over a year , I enjoyed my job when it first started but then we got more targets and loads of stress to meet them such as selling broadband when I am based on white goods and having to achieve 3 a month!!! Plus you have to mention like 8 things to customers such as addons and care plan and after that ask them to rate you out of 10. I feel so sorry for the customers all they want is their product and not to be hassled !!! Some management is nice but only if you are meeting targets . Although I have learnt a lot about retail I would definitely not recommend to anyone who are shy and won't push customers !! But I did enjoyed my work colleagues they are all lovely and get on well and I will stay in touch
Pros
Salary, work colleague, work night outs, discounts
Cons
Management, stress, targets
Not a great place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 August 2017
Advancement is super slow. Management do not allow many favours when you need them however expect you to be there on their beckoned call whenever necessary "for them".

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixons Carphone. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8