Dixons Carphone Employee Reviews in Manchester

Found 22 reviews matching the search See all 1,425 reviews
Featured review
Dixons Carphone selected this as a representative review
Plenty of progression Routes. If you want them
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  Clacton-on-Sea, Essex6 September 2019
Excellent place to work, 30 min lunch, you get to meet plenty of customers which can be a excellent experience or a nightmare depending on how you conduct yourself.

i'd say you really get a chance to show your personality in the job. and if you're willing to apply yourseld then progression is usually just an application away.

mangement are supportive in most stores and are willing to help you with personal goals and the higher management are approachable.

even the CEO team are there to listen to feedback at various confrences so your voice is heard if thats what you want.
Pros
progression is achievable
Keep getting rejected
Retail Assistant sales (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 July 2019
Every time I apply I get rejected I have very good knowledge of the technology world and mobile world which brings me to think it's maybe because I have learning disabilities and not good enough to work for them.
Official response from Dixons Carphone
5 August 2019

Please drop us an email at careers@dixonscarphone.com with more information about your applications and one of the team will be able to look into it,

Avoid
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 March 2019
Would not recommend working there, do not treat treat staff fairly, training is poor, unhappy working environment, people who work there just use it as a stepping stone until something better comes along, Hence a high turnover of staff.
Pros
non
Cons
to many to mention
Hard work with little reward
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester21 January 2019
The bonus/commission structure is hard to achieve for even the best sales people.
There is little recognition/praise from senior leadership team.
Expected to work long hours and make huge personal sacrifices for the benefit of the company.
Complaints and concerns from colleagues are not taken seriously by HR team or senior leadership team.
Standard company benefits and discounts are good however, they are not as good as what they used to be. Discounts available on mobile phone tariff charges are attractive however long service awards have been massively reduced and demotivated the faithful colleagues who have stuck around for years.
There has been too much change within the business and there is no clear direction. Business plans are not trialled on a smaller scale before being rolled out company wide meaning a constant barrage of communications from head office about the way targets should be achieved.
Sales targets are often achieved by mis-selling which, although not encouraged by senior management, it is also not managed, meaning it seems acceptable to new starters and complaints about these methods are brushed under the carpet and not taken seriously.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
No respect or reward for hard work
Some amazing people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester7 November 2018
Meet some amazing people there, however company expects too much from the staff and pressures them to mis sell insurance to customers. Proper training was not given
Avoid like the plague.
hand rag driver installer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 August 2018
You are nothing more than a number.
Management is a clique,only nepotism works here,or if you know the managers.
Manchester is a brutal depot to work at,the top site managers changing every few months,it's that poorly run.
THERE IS NO BONUS.
Every single flm here would stab you in the back,there is absolutely no respect or trust between management and staff,just how they like it.
There is however,an
100% fix for this depot:
Pay and treat the men like equals,earn some respect,then it will flourish.
Ignore at your peril.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Management is the poorest I have ever encountered.Ever.
Fun workplace
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester22 July 2018
everyday is a new challenge, fun exciting workplace, staff are friendly and make the workplace enjoyable. Can be difficult at times to hit targets but can be done
Worst company ever !!!!!
Appliance Installer (Current Employee) –  Manchester9 March 2018
In all my years working for various companies I have found working for this comapny to be the worst experience I have ever had. They only care about how many deliveries they can make you do. Their training is poor and their support is non existent, they have a tick box approach to all aspects of their business with absolutely no regard for their staff. Health and safety only matters if it costs them money. Management is only concerned about deliveries and nothing else and a number shift managers are just bullies in a visi vest. The sheer volume of jobs you are expected to do is without doubt the worst aspect of this job. The only enjoyable part----- clocking off !!!
Pros
Cons
The company itself
enjoyable
Sales Consultant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 September 2017
was very productive and fun too. got to meet new people everyday.i learned that you have to cater to the customers needs and that they may not always know what they want so we have to guide them.
Not a great place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 August 2017
Advancement is super slow. Management do not allow many favours when you need them however expect you to be there on their beckoned call whenever necessary "for them".
Market leading and Rewarding
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester20 July 2017
I have learnt many managerial skills from working with top business minded peers. Culture in work is very relaxed, but when busy trade spells hit you have to demonstrate working well under pressure.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting so many different types of people from all walks of life.
Pros
Great people, A forward thinking business
Carphone Warehouse
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 July 2017
A typical day at work would start with a brief from managers to tell you targets that need to be hit and what targets have been aceived in the last week.

Sales targets are not easy but give you the motivation to go out and get the sales. especially when it is commision based.
no work life balance
Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 May 2017
hard to get days off, hard to plan your life because rotas change every week. Very little stability. Bonus can be good if your on sales.
Sales targets can be harsh.
Some managers have been lovely, want you to learn and progress. But you only really progress to a higher position if a spot is available.
Pros
Good Training
Cons
Work/life balance
most bullish place to work in.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 January 2017
the sales colleagues that worked with me were the friendliest people i have met but to bad i cant say that for the management and so on. worst place to work.
Pros
sometimes flexible hours.
Cons
poor management, unrealistic targets, very low pay for the work you have to do.
were great to work for
Store Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester6 January 2017
Spent 10 years with DSG and look back with fond memories. Given autonomy to run my own business, great staff and management
productive and fun workplace
Customer Consultant (Current Employee) –  manchester7 November 2016
carphone is the best company I have worked for at the moment as they make work fun and productive. they had help me gain many different skills and experiences.
fun and friendly
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Manchester11 February 2016
Carphone warehouse is a well-established mobile communications company within the retail industry; I currently work as a sales consultant within the industry. It is a fast paced environment where I am always learning more about the company, striving to do better for the customer and company which lead to happy loyal customers who come back for more business due to the service we offer within the store.

Job Description:

• Helping and interacting with customers on the sales floor to ensure customers make an informed choice.

• Maintain level of professionalism by hitting targets, staying up-to-date and offer outstanding service.

• Completing product training and knowledge sessions in store and online.

• Providing information and completing demonstrations on products available within store.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hours
fun work Place
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester5 January 2016
I started out as a sales assistant, but was quickly promoted to a Team Leader as my manager saw the potential within me. My duties included assisting my manager with the day to day running of the store, motivating and developing my team. I trained my colleagues and new recruits on the various systems we use, product roll outs and salesmanship. In the time I spent here, I turned the store from being one of the worst in the area to the best
Pros
Free
Cons
store closed down
Poor work-life balance
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG2 July 2015
I worked in two shops; the first was in Wales and the second was in Manchester.

In the former, a typical day was relatively varied, between sales, customer first contact, shop cleanliness etc and paperwork. This was quite similar in the latter store, although the space was used a lot better.

The latter was a positive place of work; the former was not. The senior colleagues there did not get along; the impact on the rest of us was that there was much sniping; management was rather self-centred and at times unfair in his expectations (e.g. I was forced to come in on a day where I had called in sick).

I moved from there to Princess Road as soon as I could (although I still experienced a great deal of unnecessary and personal resistance from the manager about this).

Princess Road was more relaxed - ultimately it was a quieter store. I had a great rapport with the manager of the time, and most things had a more positive outlook.

However as time wore on I was given a lot of responsibility, which in of itself was not a problem; I seemed to have no respect regarding my personal life - often shifts were only given to me *the day before* they occurred. This of course meant I could not plan any holidays or social engagements *just in case* I was called in to work the next day (this was the one thing I missed from the previous store - rota manager was great at getting you what shifts you needed off with notice, and you generally knew what you were doing a week or two in advance).

Finally, the reason I left the company was that I was told I had to "Manage" the latter Store,
  more... on my own, for 3 weeks, when really a manager should have stepped in, even if it were from a different region!
The only benefits I saw from this was the ability to put it on my CV for future roles. I *did not* receive any remuneration for this AT ALL. Needless to say, I am unhappy about this, and will be taking it further.

Overall, any prospects of a good work-life balance was trampled into dust within a couple of months; my intelligence and abilities were not used to its fullest extent, despite my attempts to move to a different area of the company.

I understand that with thousands of colleagues to answer for, it is difficult to be motivated when your rights as an employee are overlooked in the name of margin and profits
Pros
discounts on selected items; private health insurance
Cons
lack of respect between colleagues (between all channels and all levels), lack of recognition when we are seen to do something positive which is not to do with profits
Productive day
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  manchester18 February 2015
> great place to work
> great sales experience
> confidence to talk to customers
> customers can get aggressive but the best part of the day is solving the customers problems and making a sale
Cpw life
Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester6 October 2014
My typical day would be doing most of managements jobs then selling. i love the fact of building a rapport of a customer and helping their needs. My customer service rating was outstanding, because i listened a gave the customer what they wanted my workers were great, i had fun inside and outside of work. they are people you want to remember. the best thing was for me that that i was recognised. All my colleagues use to tell me i should go to management and when i do they're working for me.
Pros
great discount on phones
Cons
money wasn't enough for what you do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixons Carphone. Our community is ready to answer.