Dixons Carphone Employee Reviews

Stressful but pays well
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Sheffield11 July 2018
Team Knowhow, like any company has good and bad points.

The Good:
The pay is good for what the job is. Starting rate is £9ph and there are opportunities to go up in wage, considering you meet targets for your stats. Working for Team Knowhow means you get 10% in any Currys PC World store and 30% off mobile phone contracts through Carphone Warehouse. The contact centre in Sheffield is easily accessible via Supertram. You get 2 15min breaks and a 45min dinner on most shifts. There are sometimes retailers that come onsite to sell hand made fudge or make up and perfumes.

The Bad:
Expect to be ignored by managers as if they're not looking at holidays online or talking to each other, they'll be busy and par you off on another manager, meanwhile you have a disgruntled customer on hold.
There's not sufficient training on new policies, for example GDPR. We took a quiz online that didn't even outline how this affected our day to day job role. There's NO motivation. You have to
meet unrealistic stats that were set by people who don't work on the phones.
Our service is so bad (deliveries, stores, repairs) that 7/10 calls will be complaints from angry customers.
There's NO complaints department - More or less everyone can make complaints for customers.
The systems are terrible, outdated, prevent us from helping customers and constantly crash/ don't work.
It will take you 10 minutes in a morning to find a desk with a seat that isn't broke and a mouse/ keyboard/ computer that actually works.
PEAK - No games, Christmas music, incentives, nothing as you're bombarded
  more... with over 100 calls in the queue and you're working a 10 hour shift.  less
Pros
Wage
Cons
Most things
Horrific work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk3 July 2018
Managers dont know their backside from their elbow. Deliveries that need more time than you are allowed. Its like a modern day sweatshop but on wheels. At the end of your shift you can wait ages to be able to dump customer packaging.
Cons
Nice company to work for.
Sales Consultant - Full Time (Current Employee) –  331 Northolt road Harrow HA2- 8JB3 July 2018
Good working culture. Ongoing training through e-learning module, good team work atmosphere.
Salary however is low. Not many incentives left.
Products offered to customers include; Phones, Tablets, Phones and Tablets accessories, Insurance, Network contracts.
Multimedia products such as Home broadband.
Duties include selling and assisting customers through out their buying experience. After sale service such as help with setting up and answering difficult questions about their products.
Pros
Enjoy working in a friendy atmosphere
Cons
Not enough incentives
great people, kills social life though
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Chippenham26 June 2018
great money, great people but the work/life balance is poor and need to get out. management can be good if you get the right one but if you dont then good luck.
administartion
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire26 June 2018
Speaking with customers dealing with issues. Helping driver on phone. Also supporting other staff if they short on staff e.g. someone rang in sick. Dealing with negative feedback trying to see how company can improve to get less negative feedback.
Excellent place to work
7.5 driver (Current Employee) –  Basdingstoke26 June 2018
I've worked here for 2 years and I love it. Great pay and benefits and overtime is available. they taught me to drive a truck and how tpo install all the different products.
Good benefits
Technical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham25 June 2018
The training covers everything you need to know for the role and more.

When I first started I was trained on the basic hardware fixes on things I didn't know I could do and after three months I did a weeks training course on software such as Office programmes, antivirus, internet explorer etc. The training is very good so if you don't know anything bout computers you have nothing to worry about.

Perfect if you are into computers, gaming or phones.

The staff are all friendly.

Work life balance isn't that great, but it got better in the last few years I worked there.

Great benefits such as expert zone for Xbox gamers
Pros
Benefits and Training
Great environment to develop
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Devon22 June 2018
If you are ambitious, this is a Good company to work for.
As with all jobs in retail you will need to consider the work-life balance aspect.
Many happy years working for Dixons
Pros
Succession
Cons
Work-life balance
Great company poor management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Squires Gate21 June 2018
Working there for three years the job went from being the best you could ask for to the worst in a matter of weeks.
Pay is never right.
Extra hours you are forced to work are never noted correctly.
Kiss goodbye to Public holidays.
You are lucky to have a full 30 minute dinner break within a 10 hour shift.
The management team in there at present are bullies, lack compassion and care for the staff, they consistently use pressure tactics and performance management when it is not needed. Managers have locked colleagues in the office in the past and asked for the colleagues resignation. If you don’t fit in you are simply managed out of the business rather than supported. I would happily go on JSA than work there again. It is such a shame because under decent management it would be a great place to work.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Management, long hours, incorrect pay, pressure, bullying, lack of empathy from managers
Would rather eat my own hole than work here again.
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent20 June 2018
No training, short breaks, Heavy demands, Managers cant manage and delegate all of their own jobs downwards. Theres always a visit from some important people which we have to spend a full day cleaning for.

Poor company. Avoid.
Pros
going home
Cons
Starting your shift.
Good Place to work and build career
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire13 June 2018
If you are prepared to put in the effort you can progress within this company and they will reward you for doing so.............................................
what you learned
SPECIALIST ENGINEER MOBILE PHONES (Current Employee) –  PHONES, UK13 June 2018
very often training to improve your qualifications. work on the latest software. on the newest tools. very good help of professionals team.
very strong management team that you can always count on. everyone is smiling and happy. workpace culture at a very high level
Enjoyable Atmosphere limited progression
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  North Acton Station, Greater London3 June 2018
From when you walk into the building you get an example of a good and enjoyable atmosphere. People are relaxed and laughing on every day other than a Monday (where people are checking what the weekend sales have been). It's below the surface that disappointing things happen. Slow progression is probably the number one sticking point of this place. They would rather you work in one position for more than 2 years with only inflationary salary increases. And would rather employees leave than do anything to retain their staff.

It is a very turbulent time for the business. A number of people are leaving and it is time for the ambitious to follow suit and leave. Wouldn't recommend it for those that are looking to progress. However, for those that are already in senior positions, it's a very laid back atmosphere and you would probably enjoy it.
Pros
Free Gym in the office
Cons
High staff turnover
Worst place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Enfield Highway2 June 2018
Been here nearly 2 year working front of house and customer service. If your good at your job you get all the bad customer and all the work the mangers don't want to do. I've been promised a team leader role but still waiting.

Manger are a joke half of them got promoted but don't know what there doing. If your a favourite of management then your okay can get away with bullying and not doing your job.

Every month I would get underpaid or manager changing my shift at the last minute.

However my team I work with are amazing and are the only thing that got me through my long shift
Pros
Amazing team, cigarette breaks
Cons
Long hour, no appreciation, manager are a joke, no paid lunch
fun
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  London26 May 2018
great place to work,
great structure for bonus as well as good work life balance.
meeting new people and all walks of life is the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pontypridd store
Sales (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff17 May 2018
Avoid this store at all costs, management are an absolute joke, finished there for them to fiddle payroll. They expect you to bow down to their every move and pull miraculous figures from nowhere. They favouritise certain members of staff who get away with murder but will take you down a disaplinary route if you’re not a favourite colleague. Awful environment to work in, over exaggerated targets and briefs in the morning that basically tell you you’re awful at your job and to get out if you don’t like the way you’re spoken too. They start off being nice, then as soon as you get used to everything the slating starts. Avoid.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Management, pay, targets, staffing, absolutely everything
The most disconnected tech company
Sales Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire15 May 2018
Very target focused, no matter your job role you are required to sell insurance and add-ons such as £120 office software or £80 McAfee anti-virus while also getting the customers email for marketing. Job offers long hours, no advancment, low pay and targets on everything.
Pros
10% discount you can only use in person.
Cons
Targeted addon sales, low wage, little to no advancment
Great company, challenging at times but rewarding
Senior Merchandise Planner - Large Screen TV (Current Employee) –  London13 May 2018
I work for Dixons Carphone in the Commercial Dept. It is a very dynamic business, constantly trying to improve the customer proposition and be competitive against other retailers. I work closely with external suppliers and senior internal stakeholders. At times the job is very challenging and rewarding and other times it is boarder line frustrating like many large companies can be.

We have a saying that if you can work here, you can work anywhere, if you feel like a challenging, varied role I would encourage anyone to apply.
Pros
Work from home, new systems coming soon
Cons
Compensation could be higher
Brilliant place to work
New Media Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire5 May 2018
I worked for the company for 12 years and enjoyed every minute of it. There was a real "family" atmosphere to working with excellent training and career progression opportunities if you wanted them.
Pros
Training & Development, Family atmosphere, Supportive, Good Benefits
fun place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire30 April 2018
It was a fun place to work where you could enjoy your work.
the most enjoyable part of the job was you could work to a good standard but have a laugh with your colleagues at the same time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dixons Carphone. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9