Disney Store

Disney Store Employee Reviews

United Kingdom96 reviews
Fast paced and enjoyable workplace, but expected to put in a lot of time.
This a fast paced and enjoyable environment, management are really friendly and there are opportunities to progress. However, there is a lack of understanding of a job and life balance.
quick movement and fake
we had to put on a smile across our 8 hour shift, if we were not we would be put on displinery. not only were they stick on regulations, the people working there were simply for show, they are hired for their great acting skills.
BUSY! Be prepared to work!
Must hit targets, and be super Confident. Do not try as a first job! You must have some knowledge on the characters, and be willing to learn at home on your own time to get to a sufficient level.
Great student job, not much to accomplish career wise
Worked for Disney Store for three years. Typical shifts in the UK are 4 hours unless you’re a lead Cast Member (supervisor) or manager. Goes without saying that you need to be passionate about Disney with a positive attitude even in the stressful times. That’s not always as easy as it looks. There are generous discounts so if you love Disney you’ll be in your element. There are other limited incentives but this is typically in the form of Disney products and never a financial incentive e.g theme park tickets. You do need to care to some degree about selling products because at the end of the day it is a merchandise business looking to make profit through sales. However, if you’re passionate about Disney it isn’t too difficult as the merchandise sells itself really. Very different environment at Christmas due to the footfall in store but that’s normal across retail really. Not a great job to pay bills and have a good quality of life as for the most part contracts are only 8-12 hours unless a manager. This is what lead me to leave in the end as I worked 12 hours across 3 days. It became very time consuming and when you add in travel expenses I was making barely anything. If you’re just looking for a student job or only need part time work to get out of the house it is ideal. It is quite difficult to progress. In my experience I found the company seemingly would rather hire somebody new rather than promote from within. They don’t generally like promoting to management within the same store. If you want to progress in the Disney Store specifically, expect to go to a different store. - more...
Amazing place to work
Fab experience if you are a Disney fan and love selling and helping guests. The team members are fantastic and so helpful and supportive. Push for sales every day which is a down side as it is added pressure but amazing place to work.
Wouldn't work here again
Little to no chance for advancement, the company has lost its sense of Disney Spirit, when I started it was all about the customer and quality of product and experience, now its about a hard sell with little to no training and no focus on the experience. If you're face doesn't fit then they will stop at nothing to manage you out, even if you're doing a good job, the company comes before your mental health.
Awful place to work
They don't give you the training you need, and exaggerate how hard the job is. Whilst the benefits are good, if your face doesn't fit management bully you making it more stressful than it needs to be, to the point of forcing you out. I even had to raise an official complaint with the head office due to my treatment and I know I am not alone. Personally I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. refuse to even set door
Do not do it
You’re not allowed to be yourself in this place. Extremely stressful and one or two people from the management take the mick out of you and treat you unfairly, the people you work with are nice but the pressure some of the management put on you is unfair and unhealthy for your health. You are not allowed any facial piercings , only can have one stud per ear , makeup is not allowed that much and some people from the management are hypocrites as they tell you off for talking to people yet they are having full blown conversations with people they like. At the end of the day they don’t really care about how good you are at the job it’s if they like you or not.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Extremely stressful
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Disney Store?
Good
It’s was a good place to work the staff are lovely well respected, wasn’t too stressful good pay the company was welcoming when I started. Also amazing teamwork
Fun
In the long term this job isn’t ideal, however it is a fun place to work. Management I found to be extremely poor and it was just above minimum wage however it is a really enjoyable and rewarding job.
Cliquey and horrible
Staff are incredibly cliquey, everyone talks about eachother behind their backs which makes for a very toxic and unhealthy environment. This may possibly explain the incredibly high turnover rate along with the following points:

One of the managers is an absolute bully and extremely rude and is actively disliked by even the other managers which is never a good sign. This particular manager is quite sexist and is extremely poor with her communication yet wonders why no one understands what she wants to do (often checking her phone and just running off into the back to look at that instead of support staff)

Quite a misandric environment (good luck if youre a guy).

Very immoral and predatory sales practices.

Good luck with getting time off, especially if you have to travel far for Christmas as they will expect you to work Christmas eve and 'oh you can just get the train back late Christmas eve' even if you give them over 7 months heads up about it.

Practically forcing you to approach customers and make them uncomfortable (even when they're on the phone or in conversation).

Unrealistic standards and expectations, retail is a dying industry yet they expect you to constantly upsell to the point of harassing customers and taking advantage of parents and poorer customers.

Extremely unreliable when it comes to overtime, will not respect your flexibility then wonder why you are wanting to leave - If you're a student id avoid at all costs, they claim to be understanding regarding deadlines or needing to study but the minute you say you're unavaliable they suddenly
 - more...
as Fun and Magical as you imagine
Disney Store was an incredible place to work and I always left with a smile on my face. You really felt like you were making people's days just a little bit brighter
ambiente di lavoro magico e dinamico
ogni giorno è sempre diverso, non ci si annoia mai
Amazing
Best place to work !!!
I wouldn’t want to work anywhere else.

The company really look after you and it’s such a fun loving busy atmosphere.

Every day is different
Old contracts got rid of people
Beware of people that are two faced and are under management influences. People that were on the old contract seen to disappear slowly only the years. Especially Rambo that was there for 20 years and clear is name.
fun place to work
I loved working for the Disney store it was one of the most amazing jobs I have had.Staff was called Cast members, the shop floor was the stage and any customers that came in was your guests. The atmosphere was great.
work life balance was manageable, it was only a temp Christmas role so there wasn't a lot of shifts available.
Pros
you could watch Disney movies on your breaks
Cons
not enough hours
not applicable
not applicable, because I worked there such a long time ago. I wnjoyed the job, the store and colleagues. I would recommend it as an employer to others
Cast member
I would have enjoyed the job but the management constantly belittled me and accused me of false things. I felt bullied there and dreaded coming in every day, it was like high school and management always talked behind your back and made you feel like nothing at all. I would not recommend working here, I cried most days.
Disgusting management
I was working for the Disney Store Norwich and i was made to feel like a nobody. The management team there are extremely unprofessional and 'clicky', making it a horrible environment to be in. I wouldn't touch this place with a barge pole. High turn over of staff and always advertising speaks for itself.
excellent place to work
Amazing place to work, only downside is not a lot of hours but brilliant for part time. Would recommend to anyone interested in working with people as the job heavily requires guest attention.
learned a lot
Hires a great team to work with.
Great staff and supportive management

trains you for great customer service skills

a great starter job for anyone in retail