Discovery Communications

Discovery Communications Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
A typical day at Discovery - busy and challenging as a result of high volume of projects.
What you learned - new financial and other programs.

Workplace Culture - very strong teamwork, shared values, beliefs and attitude.

The hardest part of the job - countering negativity, keeping my team engaged and motivated.

The most enjoyable part of the job - meeting new people from all over the world, learning new skills at work.
May be the dream place to work for some, but unfortunately it's not rewarding. You work 12h shift and most of the time you don't get breaks nor your entitled 1h lunch break. Management is poor, they don't really care about your concerns nor they share their concerns with you. You get emails to get in for extra time because in 10 months they weren't able to hire new people. Manager is absolutely oblivious to what is happening in the department and looking to hire only his friends and family. They dont care how hard you work you are not valuable to them. They will discard you with no question asked and untruthful reasons. Please avoid this work place and avoid to be put in an awful work environment
Good palce to work with lots of enthusiastic people. Great place to gain a range of experiene and skills. Good mentality on training and improving staff.
the most dreadful 6 months of my life!
bullied by management.

HR only concerned about the company and not the employees!
Pros
Cons
management
Some great people who have strong industry knowledge. A place that is shifting its culture and work flow. Some strong global brands that are strong contenders in the pay tv space.
Great company that grew quite a bit and currently needs a clear structure and vision for their business to come. The people are very helpful and support each other.
It was a fun place to work, some management listened to staff but hours were way too long. There needs to be a better balance of work and private life.
Pros
Culture, helped a lot of charities, salaries and diversity
Cons
HR/Payroll need to be improved
Excellent company to work for! I don't have enough positive words in my dictionary to describe my experience at Discovery. Of course I've had some negative experiences too, but nothing serious!

Lovely people, excellent company culture, accelerating tendency towards adoption of innovative solutions.

I'm proud to say that I've worked for them!!!
Pros
Excellent Company Culture, Very good benefits for employees, Worm and welcoming
Cons
Not very lean company structure
Discovery taught me to think about my contribution in a much wider sense. I was fortunate to be able to work alongside some terrific people who allowed us to move together as a team. Innovative ideas were welcomed and rewarded. After 8+ years at the Discovery Channel I have gained a more holistic underestanding of Broadcasting and Post Production on a global scale.
Pros
Constant learning, goal driven, creative
Great people, smart and engaged. A forward thinking company with ambition, drive and a competitive nature. Fantastic brand and offer highly competitive packages.
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
High level expectations, long hours
Enjoyed working in this environment, great colleagues, dynamic fun activities around, plenty of restaurants, eat houses and shops within easy reach, transport aplenty.

Always have and always will love documentaries and having the opportunity to work for one of the worlds greatest documentary making companies is/has been a dream come true.
Pros
Well funded, Shops, transport, activities
Cons
Elements in management are frustrating
I learnt a lot about advert sales on TV and how the company gains and also how the client gains. It is a win win for both. I also enjoyed having to liaise with EMEA branches and head office in the US.
A fun and nice environment created by the rest of the employees. Very independent in terms of workload. Good, Salary and good networking advantages.
Pros
Networking and Traveling
Cons
Lack adequate training management
A very corporate organisation as you would expect form a US based global communications company.
Due to the departmental and management structures there is a high degree of office politics which detracts from the job of building a business - which I find frustrating and self-defeating.

Expectations are high (and I have met them, recently closing a US$ 7 figure deal with Sony Pictures International) but the corporate structure does not allow for progress as I would like.
Pros
The physical office environment is pleasant.
Cons
Very long hours and commute, impacting on work/ life balance.
Most enjoyable and productive learning experience. And has a excellect management system for their I.T team. For me it was an wonderful experience.
I've learned and developed my self with Discovery, a lot of support from the senior team which helped me move into management and looking after the IT Infrastructure at Discovery Education.
work is challenging and fun. people are great, building is great.
great people, nice location, easy going employees, study leave possible
A typical day working at Discovery would consist of arriving at 8.55am and making all sure relevant post was delivered on time to the relevant clients.

Duties Included: Functioning as a team, assigning specific packages to the relevant clients, Logging in parcels and signing them out, making sure parcels were delivered to customers on time, Answering phone calls, taking bookings and dealing with customer complaints.

Here i improved my customer service skills which gives me the ability to interact with clients and customers, However working at the Discovery channel has its main assets which helped me. Working under pressure and being timed is one of my main skills.

I like to get work done as quick as possible also making sure that the job is completed to the best of its ability.

The most enjoyable part of the job was intreating with people on a daily basis.
Pros
Great customers, Enjoyed Going in to work
Cons
The hardest part of the job was working with the graphics team due to the fact I am not a graphics designer however I learnt a lot. I worked in all departments ranging from design and HR to office work and tech work.