Diabetes UK Employee Reviews

Good well-meaning people but management problems
Head of Legal (Former Employee) –  London, UK12 March 2019
Like many charities, conflicting priorities about keeping members happy and achieving overall goals. Lots of manipulation of statistics and figures to appear positive. Having to compromise my principles to satisfy management. Started off with a good manager, this changed couple of times. Ended up with someone difficult to get on with. It happens sometimes, so can't blame the company necessarily. But still, constant, almost annual restructures, disrupt the culture.
Pros
Relaxed culture, informal approach, great colleagues
Cons
restructure fever
Nice place to work
Digital (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 March 2019
Although some people overuse the meaning of "agile" and "flexibility" in this charity, this is a good place to work. People are usually nice and respectful but they don't share the workload with others and sometimes they are stuck with too much work. Worked at Digital team, some people were incompetent and had little digital skills but somehow were promoted to a better position (with a higher salary)
Pros
Nice office, nice people
Cons
Incompetence across many teams
Nice place to work.
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex13 January 2019
A great place to work and learn. Very enthusiastic and committed people that make work fun for you. I enjoy the fact that you are well trained and offered support continuously in your job.
Benefits
Cons
You are basically meant for look for oppourtunities to spread word about Diabetes UK.
Well run company
Media Ambassador (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 November 2018
Moved here from a business background so had to change my approach, but was able to find an approach that worked well. Very fluid and approachable management team which made for a peasant work life.
Good company
Press Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 October 2018
Great people, great culture- could be better with planning and of course, pay!

Lots has changed however but they seem to be working on the turnover which was quite high before.
Pros
Great offices
Cons
Maybe lacks opportunities
Fun and Stress-Free
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Montrose4 October 2018
Working here is always a pleasure, you have the opportunity to meet so many lovely people and hear a lot of interesting and fun stories throughout your work day. The management is super friendly and welcoming, and easygoing. During holidays like Christmas and Halloween they often do fun things, like Secret Santa, Elf on the Shelf and general fun activities. I'd say that you need to be a people person for this job, as you will be talking to a lot of folk and you have to have a friendly way about you. Would highly recommend volunteering here, always the highlight of my day.
Pros
friendly staff, relaxed environment, 20% discount
good office environment
Regional Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Warrington6 June 2018
Everyday was different.
Being diabetic myself the hardest part of my job was seeing other people struggle with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
The best of the job was seeing young people diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at such a young age learn how to deal with it. Even if its little things like they can test their own blood sugar.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Birmingham12 July 2016
Early morning followed by late nights in field. work environment depends on weather outside. people usualy are friendly and kind
Productive and supportive
Call-off Volunteer Speaker (Current Employee) –  London30 March 2016
Good team work and interaction. Co-presenters are very supportive and the management provides all the materials and information at the events promptly and in adequate supply.
Pros
Not applicable
Cons
Not applicable
Challenging and rewarding
Regional Fundraiser, SE Central (Former Employee) –  Home based1 October 2015
A day in the role of a Regional Fundraiser is hard to describe one minute you could be building a rapport with a support, the next you could be applying for a trust or a corporate charity of the year.
It is a challenging, exciting and constantly changing role that is both enjoyable and will keep you on your toes.
On a daily bais I take inspiration from supports, daily life and other medias that help me to come up with new and interesting ways to raise awarenes, support and income for a fantastic cause that is growing at an alarming rate.
Working from my homebased office I spend alot of time on the road going to meetings with fundraisers, corporates and peers to grow our data base and portfolio of fundraisers, managing relationships to make the most of every opportunity and to encourage repeat support.
Good workplace
Ecommerce and Trading Executive (Current Employee) –  London16 July 2015
Supportive management and a fun place to work at. Very friendly staff. Encouraging managers in regards to career progression and personal development.
Pros
Flexi hours
Interesting and diverse workload
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, ENG10 September 2014
In this job role I was required to process claims, from the first stage of receiving notification to closure of the account and issuing the final cheque. Deadlines were important so as to ensure that excellent customer service was being provided at all times. Communication with customers, solicitors and colleagues via telephone or letter was a daily norm, communicating our requirements and answering any questions that arose. Each case was dealt with on a case to case basis. Attention to detail was vital so as to ensure that no mistakes were made. An excellent relationship with colleagues from other departments was vital within this role so as to allow each claim to flow smoothly from start to finish. This role was administration based, with people skills and great customer service being at the forefront of my work.
exciting day-to-day activities which are well organised
Team Leader and games co-ordinator for youth camp (Current Employee) –  northern ireland23 January 2014
during my annual week at camp I am involved in 3 activities each day including watersports and outdoor activities, it is very tiring however very rewarding as the young adults can see for themselves they can manage their diabetes in extreme conditions. I heighten my knowledge of diabetes each year, how to recognise signs before and how to treat low blood sugars when they occur. co-workers are always on hand to help and we always help each other. morale is high
Pros
encouraging young people to take part in activities by being involved in them myself
Cons
nearly 24hr watch/on call for emergencies
Fun and friendly place to work
Design and Publishing Manager (Former Employee) –  London5 November 2012
A typical day at work involved 1-1 meetings with my team, and catch up meeting with my manager. Checking the design schedule and delegating jobs to designers and project managers.

I learned managerial skills, went on several short courses to update my design skills and website design skills. I learned how to interview prospective employers and how to train new employers.

The hardest part of the job was re establishing myself as a manager rather than a hands on designer, but I enjoyed the challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with professionals and creating a great team, which made my job so much easier.
Pros
flexi time
Cons
no benefits or bonuses