Dfs Employee Reviews

No work life balance
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  East Midlands20 December 2017
Expect to work every weekend and a few 9am to 8pm week days. Targets are enforced with threats most of the time and you have to upsell for dear life.
DFS say four years no deposit credit, your job is to get a deposit and never give the customer four years, crazy.
You have to listen to the lecture every morning when the manager names and shames you vs your colleagues.
No work life balance as you will work all bank holidays, every day except Xmas day and all the new year holiday. If you have a life outside work, or kids, don't do it.
Salary is acceptable but not great, maybe 22k PA if your lucky. Xmas bonus is a £20 M&S card which is an insult for all the extra hours you work during the year.
From boxing day on you don't get any days off at all, 9-8 seven days a week for a while.
This is a company that takes and takes, with little reward or appreciation.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Management culture, hours, low reward
Stable, forward thinking company with great rewards
Sales (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh12 December 2017
I have been working for DFS for over 5 Year’s now. They offer a very secure job with opportunities available to you at every turn. If you want to progress and you’re good at your job then the opportunity will present itself.

As a sales colleague your position centres around building strong relationships with customers and making them feel like there really is no better place than DFS to purchase their sofa. You are paid commission for every sofa you sell and in my store nobody earns less than 35k. If your good you’ll make 40-45k and the best make over 50k.

The management offer support on both a professional and personal level. The whole place honestly feels like a second family.

It’s retail so don’t expect to be getting weekends off but DFS has changed over the years and you generally get two days off every week where this wasn’t the case in the past.

A great place to work with great earning potential.
Pros
Great money. Real family atmosphere.
Cons
None really
Fun and rewarding
General Manager (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom11 December 2017
Dfs is a great company to work for. The staff are the best I have ever worked with... I would recommend dfs to anyone to work for. also offers lots of great benefits.
Pros
Lots of Fun, great pay, great staff
Long hours unreasonable targets
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Midlands11 December 2017
Working at DFS you can expect extremely long hours and 0 work life balance. The training at head office is excellent but at the sharp end it's Every Man for Himself. 11 hour days are Commonplace and of course it's every weekend without fail. As a sales executive you are also constantly pushed to sell people add-ons that they simply either don't want or don't need.
Pros
Training
Cons
Long hours and unreasonable targets
Very good working environment
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex11 December 2017
Work life balance may not be great but this helps with childcare. The staff are friendly but difference in pay between highest and lowest earners is quite large. Overall great to work for.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Working weekends
Fun Workplace
Cleaner full time (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire19 September 2017
You would have a laugh at work, I learned that it is a great place to work at and the management is great. There wasn't a hard part of the job and the most enjoyable part of the job was having a laugh with people that worked there.
Pros
Fun
Constant heavy work
Sorter (Current Employee) –  Skellow14 September 2017
Constantly busy on piece work. Very short breaks but good holidays. Very tiring and early starts constant pressure with not enough input from management
Pros
Good co workers
Workplace Culture
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Doncaster22 August 2017
DFS is an excellent company to work for except for the long hours. There is always the emphasis on performance improvement, thus constant training is provided.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Long hours.
Worse company I've worked for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Llandudno, Conwy24 July 2017
Start work by loading truck even tho warehouse should have done it. So your 1 hour behind before you start your run. Runs are all over the place management don't care about runs or how there done. No job support just left with yourself and co driver if both new no help.
Pros
Wage is ok
Cons
Long hours. No help
great place to work
senior sales (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire12 July 2017
have worked for dfs for 6 years and not only has it given me a great career and a family outside of my own. some times can be difficult lifting furniture but. rough with the smooth
Pros
money. progression
Cons
long hours moving furniture
Lovely atmosphere
Weekend Sales Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sidcup, Greater London4 July 2017
I have worked at DFS for 18 months now as a weekend administrator and I can honestly say I've loved it.
It can be very busy over sale times but even when the store isn't busy there is always something to do.
The store is like a little family and everyone usually gets on (other than the odd salesman tiff!) and everyone looks out for each other. The communication is generally pretty good between stores and from managers and the pay is pretty good for this area too.
Although this isn't my long term career goal as I'm training for a profession I am happy to stay here as long as they will have me as it fits in with my family life.
It's hard work at times but you get out what you put in.
Pros
So many!
Cons
It can be tough to be away from my husband and children all weekend.
Head Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire1 July 2017
Worked for DFS for nearly 3 years now.
Lots of scope for progression and management definitely promote this and want everyone to do well.
Many changes in the passed year but all seem to be for the better.
DFS are really starting to listen to their employees and they find new innovative ways to communicate with everyone.
Pros
Family feel
Cons
Non to mention
A great company to work for and develop within
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  South30 June 2017
I started in with this business 16 years ago as a manager designate and have now achieved a senior position.

Great company to be part of and a can do culture that embraces all.

Yes its hard work. Yes there is a work / life challenge but the rewards and job satisfaction are great.

If you put in the graft you will do well.

Some superb people coaches and some brilliant trainers have made the company into a real success.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Requires a loft of hard work and hours
Very progressive company
Health & Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nationwide29 June 2017
Having started at DFS 7 1/2 years ago I have seen the company go from private ownership to sitting on the stock market. The company are going through change rapidly and it is much for the better. New initiatives are always forthcoming to make this company a much better place to work. The training investment is fantastic and I feel that they are now truly investing in their people.

No two days are ever the same, and the days just fly by. Yes, there may be some work pressures but you get this in every company! There is always a great support network at hand to help you with any issues that you may have.

I feel that I am able to contribute to the successful growth of the company and am encouraged to develop my skills, some of which the company have greatly assisted with. I would have no hesitance in recommending DFS as a great place to work.
Pros
Progressive, invests in staff development, decent pay, job satisfaction.
Changed my life
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 June 2017
I joined dfs in 2002 and took a job in the warehouse after wanting to leave a thankless job in catering. I have since worked through the ranks of sales, senior sales, manager designate and now a manager. It's been hard work to get here, but it has been recognised.
Pros
Security, prospects personal growth
Cons
Will probably be here until I retire
9 years so far....and still going strong!!
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent22 June 2017
I have worked for DFS now for 9 years and have felt secure and happy for those 9 years! I have been lucky to be involved in many new projects and trials in the company, and help train new administrators. The working atmosphere we have in our office is fun, there isn't a day where we don't laugh! We have our tough times, as does any job, but I'm lucky to be working with a great team and we get through them together.
Pros
Good wages, friendly staff, enjoyable atmosphere, job satisfaction
Cons
None worth mentioning!
Fantastic promotion prospects.
Senior Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Essex22 June 2017
I've worked for DFS for 2 1/2 years and have been very happy from day 1. Have had fantastic support from all levels of management and constant encouragement. I am proud to work for a world class company.
Pros
Furure career prospects and pay.
Cons
Working weekends. Although you would expect this in retail.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire22 June 2017
I have worked at DFS for almost 18 months and I have to say I love it. Having been based in a sales office for 12 years it's been a welcome change.
I was a little worried before starting as it was a huge change and I had read some negative things but it's honestly the best move I've ever made!
The job is fun and interesting, but you will only get out what you put in.
Some days are long and hard, but most fly by!
The team is great, everyone is helpful and supportive, even willing to help and advise when you are struggling achieving all your KPIs, and as corny as it sounds it's a real family atmosphere.
Salary and benefits are great, though can take a little while to get your head around if you've never been commission based.
Would 100% recommend to all.
Pros
Great pay, fun place to work
Cons
Late nights, lots of furniture to move
Great company to work for!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire22 June 2017
Love my job role! Amazing potential for progression! I work in sales and it's a very fast paced environment, earning potential is phenomenal. I've been here 4 years and no intention of ever leaving!
Pros
Great earning potential
Cons
N/a
10 years in and enjoyed every minute.
General Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Southern England22 June 2017
A great company with many chances to further your career. A fantastic training programme, followed by great coaching and superb family environment! I have progressed in my career from a sales person to running a branch including 5 promotions. All of these steps I was giving fantastic support from the training teams at head office and ammoungst our area teams. If you want a job where every day is different and you have fantastic earning potential then DFS is the place for you
Pros
Training, development, money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dfs. Our community is ready to answer.