Devon Partnership NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Rewarding place to work,plenty of opportunities for training and promotion
Senior Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Torquay22 April 2019
I worked for the trust from its inception until retiring in August 2018, in general working conditions and pay was good, opportunities to work in different areas of mental health. On the negative side some of the staff were precious and had an overwhelming sense of entitlement which is prevalent in many a workplace these days
Very poor trust
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Dawlish, Devon9 April 2019
Well I guess just appalling set of management I have seen in 25 years of NHS service.
I moved to Devon for my last 10 years in NHS, so wish I hadn’t.
Good people on the wards lovely patient however a trust so inbred at top level it’s a disgrace.
Pros
Job for life as no one stays
Cons
Poor management
Worse job ever
Rde (Former Employee) –  Maintenance26 February 2019
Started this job thinking all would be by the book and it would be a challenging and rewarding career. Definitely the worse job I’ve ever had some practises bordering on being dangerous. Management haven’t got a clue it’s that scary. The actual workers are very experienced and good people I can’t understand how they tolerate the environment.. Boring mundane jobs handed to you once the team leaders get a strop on and they know you know they’re inept.
Pros
Ummm
Cons
Mundane tasks. Very inexperienced management bordering on dangerous.
Promotes very inexperienced staff
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Mid devon11 January 2019
Very desperate organisation, promoting junior inexperienced staff, to levels that are dangerous. Clearly the criteria for leadership is
1) you must say yes
2) you work for free
3) you must focus on money not patients
4) you tick boxes first then worry about poor staff morale, lengthy waits for suffers.
5) avoid staff contact and hide.

What is sad is that they can promote largely sometimes naive and innocent staff, but basically it’s the experienced staff beneath them holding them up. Lots of narcissism in management circles.

Watch the stuff hit the fan and see who they blame ?
Pros
Patients
Cons
Managers
excellent
Mardon Neuro Rehabilitation Centre Sister (Former Employee) –  Exeter28 December 2018
This was a great place to work.
I had tremendous support from the organisation, particularly the Occupational Health service following a bereavement.
I really enjoyed working for this trust
Bullying by Managers is acceptable to DPT. Do not work here
Admin (Former Employee) –  Devon18 November 2018
I only wish that I had read these reviews before applying. I now know from experience that... Bullying is rife in DPT. Not from colleagues but from managers, and it appears to be accepted and not questioned by those higher up. I know this as I decided to speak up about the way I was treated, and I put in a complaint and was basically ignored/'fobbed off'

For a Mental health organisation the way they treat their own staff is absolutely appalling, and DPT do not adhere to Equal Opportunities legislation or stick to their claim of valuing staff with lived mental health experiences. If you have lived experience DPT only seek to make this worse.

The stress, pressure and expectations they put on even admin staff is unaçeptable, and if you try telling them that you are experiencing difficulties they are not willing to listen or take action, only interested in their ticking boxes.

Managers are not at all supportive, and do not value their staff. Flexible working and family friendly policies are not available to all, and are only available to you if your manager likes you. Staff turnover is extremely high, but they do not see this as an issue. To me the numbers speak for themselves, whilst I was there (almost a year) 4 staff started/left one job position! 14 staff in total since 2015!

If you're are considering this employer please rethink and reconsider, as there are plenty of employers out there who will value your contribution and hardwork without treating you so poorly.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Bullying. Unacceptable/unrealistic expectations
Is the NhS a good place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Dawlish31 October 2018
The NHS is good to work for but can be a little frustrating at times.
like most things if you work hard the rewards are good.
Good holiday entitlement.
flexible working.
Chaotic and disorganised
Nobody (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon20 October 2018
Bullying and intimidation is rife and allowed to go on within the trust. Management don’t care, and are only interested in ticking boxes. Always under-staffed, and don’t look after the staff they already have. Never a nice atmosphere, and staff morale is at a complete low where ever you go. There is no opportunity to advance, and higher bands are very self congratulating. As long as I’m alright.
If you enjoy stress and being fed up, this place is for you.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Never any staff
Bullying is acceptable in this Trust
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Devon16 August 2018
After enduring bullying in the workplace by line management and former colleagues it left me ill. HR didn’t want to know or care, even after showing pages of evidence. Would not recommend this Trust to work for at all. What’s the point of having unacceptable behaviour policies if staff don’t adhere to them and get away with bullying?
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very bad management and HR
Good Employer
Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon14 January 2018
DPT have some modernising to do to keep up with the time and best utilise their budget, to pay fairly, and encourage progression. But ultimately there are some fantastic employees which are driven and passionate, some fantastic and supportive managers who are mindful of employee needs and are flexible. I would recommend the service to employees and patients, but with the caveat that the system is ultimately flawed, so we have regimented parameters in which we can work within!
Privatisation could not be worse.
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Dawlish, Devon15 December 2017
Very good team of lovely people however they don’t stay turnover of staff high morale low. Management is bullying and clueless.
Band 8s constantly promoting each other very corrupt I think. Very glad to go to another trust even dropped from 6 to a 5 just to leave.
Pros
Some nice staff, they don’t last long
Cons
Management who don’t listen or care for staff or patients
Friendly workplace
Project Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter29 October 2017
Temporary working for DPT has allowed me to gain a lot of useful skills. A lot of support is given from the teams around you and the organisation aims to operate without a blame culture.
Pros
Flexible agile working policies
Nice team but no career prospects and poor rewards for hard work
Admin/Clerical (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon20 September 2017
Pros: Nice and friendly team.
Cons: Constant increase in workload with no corresponding increase in benefits. The spine-point system favours employees who stay long-term while doing the bare minimum. On the other hand, ambitious and high-performing employees are 'rewarded' with more and more senior-level work and responsibility being passed onto them with no financial reward. The regular budget cuts, restructures and reductions in staff don't present a promising vision of future career within the organisation.
Always short staffed.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  North Devon District Hospital8 July 2017
Team's on a local level are really good to work with but being continually short staffed puts stupid amounts of pressure on you especially working on the frontline.
Interesting environment to work in.
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Dawlish, Devon29 May 2017
Devon Partnership trust as a whole is a fantastic place to work! Good working hours, benefits and a friendly staff culture on the whole. Getting praise and appreciative comments at the end of a job is what makes it worth while! The only thing that lets it down is parts of the estates management.
Pros
Good working environment. Good hours
Cons
Management.
Facilities at Devon Partnership NHS
Facilities Supervisor / Team leader (Former Employee) –  Exeter18 November 2016
Working at mental health acute hospital and at trust head quarters no two days are the same.
Have learned a lot about the NHS cleaning standards.
Very supportive management team and good team members to work with.
Pros
Job security and good work schedule
Cons
Very challenging cos of the service users
Doing their best with absolutely no resources
Conflict Resolution Instructor (Current Employee) –  Devon10 November 2016
This service is incredibly strained, staff are doing their best however as managers are equally feeling the pressures inherited from funding cuts, there is only so much that can be done to ensure quality.
Productive and fun experience
Support Worker/Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ENG23 October 2015
hardworking environment, I learned to deal with difficult situation under high expectations and stressful and complicate cases and patients. I enjoyed to learn about health and helping people throughout they recovery journey.
Pros
good team support
Memorable work-place
Mental Health Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter, ENG14 August 2013
A very busy unit with 16 beds, rarely empty.
Three shifts, early late & night.
Brilliant ward manager, co-workers mostly supportive.
Hard when dementia patients are brought in as not my area of expertise. More used to dealing with agitation, depression, suicidal ideation.
Nothing better than seeing a client go home bright in mood & feeling well despite being admitted in the depths of despair.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
red tape