Devon Partnership NHS Trust

Devon Partnership NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
working in DPT
I have had a number of roles since I started in DPT a number of years ago. There are far more opportunities to develop your skills in a number of areas-if you are qualified that is (I am). I feel for the staff who are not who harbour interests in developing their careers, in-service opportunities need to be developed. Wish the money for vacant consultant posts could be put towards developing lower waged staff.

DPT has forged close links with a number of agencies, so opportunities to work alongside Primary care, Police, CJS, paramedics, SMS etc..

I have returned to DPT in the past after leaving to work in other areas and have always been happy to come back.
Pros
senior staff listen more than they used to, wellbeing of staff is much better addressed than it used to be, quite good training and CPD opportunities
Cons
Work extra hours and not always paid for these, limited roles to develop clinically if you do not want to go into management, significant pressure on acute inpatient beds and CMHT/Crisis teams, (no assertive outreach teams, this would help prevent admissions)
Would not recommend working for DPT
Worked for DPT for 21 years, would not recommend a position there, bullying is rife from middle management, extremely high staff turn-over, can be punitive towards staff.
Avoid working here.
It's a very, very bad place to work. Meetings clog up the day. More admin focused than patient focused. Morale rock bottom. Tears and tales of bullying abound. On a daily basis colleagues tell you of their wish to leave. And they normally do.

Expressions of interest for senior posts, so if you're not in the email list, you've no chance. Interview coaching for the super priveledged.
Productive and supportive workplace
The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I worked with, their unquestionable support with my difficulties in returning to work and the trust's flexible approach to delivery
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Length of time to start work, short term post
An organisation that is commited to promoting recovery and quality care for individuals with mental health issues
I have worked for DPT in a variety of posts since its beginning. I feel valued and supported and have had many opportunities to develop professionally.
DPT is a large organisation and therefore can offer both posts in various specialties and career progression. I have taken advantage of both of these opportunities.

The most enjoyable part of the job is supporting individuals with mental health issues to work towards their own recovery and independence.

The most challenging part of the job is sometimes working with individuals who are very unwell and can present with some challenging behaviours
Pros
Positive culture
Supportive and inclusive
This is my second time working for Devon Partnership NHS Trust. One of the reasons I came back was for the career progression opportunities and the culture around supporting employees with flexible working options. I have a disability and I have found DPT the most supportive employer I have ever worked for.

The Trust has a clear vision to achieve excellence.
Pros
flexible working, career progression and development, jobs across Devon
Friendly, welcoming and flexible
I've recently joined DPT NHS having previously been self-employed. I've been made to feel very welcome and valued by my manager. Having children means I need to work flexibly and I can think of no other employer during my career that has allowed me this level of flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility, interesting work, fast-paced environment, feeling that you're making a difference
Cons
Can be very busy at times so you have to juggle priorities
Rewarding place to work,plenty of opportunities for training and promotion
I worked for the trust from its inception until retiring in August 2018, in general working conditions and pay was good, opportunities to work in different areas of mental health. On the negative side some of the staff were precious and had an overwhelming sense of entitlement which is prevalent in many a workplace these days
Very poor trust
Well I guess just appalling set of management I have seen in 25 years of NHS service.
I moved to Devon for my last 10 years in NHS, so wish I hadn’t.

Good people on the wards lovely patient however a trust so inbred at top level it’s a disgrace.
Pros
Job for life as no one stays
Cons
Poor management
Worse job ever
Started this job thinking all would be by the book and it would be a challenging and rewarding career. Definitely the worse job I’ve ever had some practises bordering on being dangerous. Management haven’t got a clue it’s that scary. The actual workers are very experienced and good people I can’t understand how they tolerate the environment.. Boring mundane jobs handed to you once the team leaders get a strop on and they know you know they’re inept.
Pros
Ummm
Cons
Mundane tasks. Very inexperienced management bordering on dangerous.
Promotes very inexperienced staff
Very desperate organisation, promoting junior inexperienced staff, to levels that are dangerous. Clearly the criteria for leadership is
1) you must say yes

2) you work for free

3) you must focus on money not patients

4) you tick boxes first then worry about poor staff morale, lengthy waits for suffers.

5) avoid staff contact and hide.

What is sad is that they can promote largely sometimes naive and innocent staff, but basically it’s the experienced staff beneath them holding them up. Lots of narcissism in management circles.

Watch the stuff hit the fan and see who they blame ?
Pros
Patients
Cons
Managers
excellent
This was a great place to work.
I had tremendous support from the organisation, particularly the Occupational Health service following a bereavement.

I really enjoyed working for this trust
Bullying by Managers is acceptable to DPT. Do not work here
I only wish that I had read these reviews before applying. I now know from experience that... Bullying is rife in DPT. Not from colleagues but from managers, and it appears to be accepted and not questioned by those higher up. I know this as I decided to speak up about the way I was treated, and I put in a complaint and was basically ignored/'fobbed off'

For a Mental health organisation the way they treat their own staff is absolutely appalling, and DPT do not adhere to Equal Opportunities legislation or stick to their claim of valuing staff with lived mental health experiences. If you have lived experience DPT only seek to make this worse.

The stress, pressure and expectations they put on even admin staff is unaçeptable, and if you try telling them that you are experiencing difficulties they are not willing to listen or take action, only interested in their ticking boxes.

Managers are not at all supportive, and do not value their staff. Flexible working and family friendly policies are not available to all, and are only available to you if your manager likes you. Staff turnover is extremely high, but they do not see this as an issue. To me the numbers speak for themselves, whilst I was there (almost a year) 4 staff started/left one job position! 14 staff in total since 2015!

If you're are considering this employer please rethink and reconsider, as there are plenty of employers out there who will value your contribution and hardwork without treating you so poorly.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Bullying. Unacceptable/unrealistic expectations
Is the NhS a good place to work
The NHS is good to work for but can be a little frustrating at times.
like most things if you work hard the rewards are good.

Good holiday entitlement.

flexible working.
Chaotic and disorganised
Bullying and intimidation is rife and allowed to go on within the trust. Management don’t care, and are only interested in ticking boxes. Always under-staffed, and don’t look after the staff they already have. Never a nice atmosphere, and staff morale is at a complete low where ever you go. There is no opportunity to advance, and higher bands are very self congratulating. As long as I’m alright.
If you enjoy stress and being fed up, this place is for you.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Never any staff
Bullying is acceptable in this Trust
After enduring bullying in the workplace by line management and former colleagues it left me ill. HR didn’t want to know or care, even after showing pages of evidence. Would not recommend this Trust to work for at all. What’s the point of having unacceptable behaviour policies if staff don’t adhere to them and get away with bullying?
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Very bad management and HR
Good Employer
DPT have some modernising to do to keep up with the time and best utilise their budget, to pay fairly, and encourage progression. But ultimately there are some fantastic employees which are driven and passionate, some fantastic and supportive managers who are mindful of employee needs and are flexible. I would recommend the service to employees and patients, but with the caveat that the system is ultimately flawed, so we have regimented parameters in which we can work within!
Privatisation could not be worse.
Very good team of lovely people however they don’t stay turnover of staff high morale low. Management is bullying and clueless.
Band 8s constantly promoting each other very corrupt I think. Very glad to go to another trust even dropped from 6 to a 5 just to leave.
Pros
Some nice staff, they don’t last long
Cons
Management who don’t listen or care for staff or patients
Friendly workplace
Temporary working for DPT has allowed me to gain a lot of useful skills. A lot of support is given from the teams around you and the organisation aims to operate without a blame culture.
Pros
Flexible agile working policies
Good colleagues - poor management
Worked as a PWP. Unrealistic targets, no emotional support from management. Due to waiting lists, often worked with patients when not trained to do so. Found this unethical. Limited opportunities to move up the ladder. Great colleagues though.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Poor management
Nice team but no career prospects and poor rewards for hard work
Pros: Nice and friendly team.
Cons: Constant increase in workload with no corresponding increase in benefits. The spine-point system favours employees who stay long-term while doing the bare minimum. On the other hand, ambitious and high-performing employees are 'rewarded' with more and more senior-level work and responsibility being passed onto them with no financial reward. The regular budget cuts, restructures and reductions in staff don't present a promising vision of future career within the organisation.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Partnership NHS Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7