DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL Management reviews

Good Employer
SEN Statement Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Exeter26 January 2018
I am currently on a temporary placement via Temp Solutions, Devon County Council's own in-house temp agency, to provide support for a specific project that is required by Central Government to be completed by 31st March 2018. Since I commenced within this team in September 2017, I have had to adapt to, and learn, different processes, but have risen to the challenge and enjoyed it.

MY TYPICAL DAY:
I liaise with schools and agencies, update and maintain spreadsheets using the ONE system. I check and issue Education Health and Care plans. As part of the team, we work on a rota basis which includes the efficient running of the mailbox and dealing with numerous SKYPE calls with a variety of individuals. These can be with parents, schools, managers and outside agencies. I ensure that all communications are dealt with in a confidential and sensitive manner.

SKILLS LEARNED: I have been able to learn new software packages and hone in my existing skills.

MANAGEMENT: The managers I currently work under have been very supportive and instrumental in progress considering the pressures on them and constant turnaround of temporary staff

WORKPLACE CULTURE: It is a good place to work, the people are hard working and conscientious. There are many personalities that you can work alongside, but overall teamwork prevails.

HARDEST PART OF THE JOB: In this particular role, I have access to specific details of young people's health conditions and it is sometimes hard to read their plights, whilst ensuring that I am getting the Health Care Plans out to support them in their
  more... education.

MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB: Knowing that the Health Care Plans that I am involved in will make a difference in young people's lives.
Pros
Learning new skills, variety of opportunities
Cons
not always able to secure placements
Young person centred
Child Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Devon20 November 2017
A typical day would start by supporting young peoples needs, medication if required, meals and any personal care. Support with outdoor activites, cooking and independent skills. I learnt a wide variety of skills such as empathy, quality and diversity and built up on my communication skills. The hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the management and their lack of understanding of our jobs and the red tape. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the young people and the staff team.
Pros
Provide lunches
Cons
Split shifts
A very enjoyable place to work
Trading Standards Officer (Former Employee) –  Exeter31 May 2017
I worked in the farming standards team. The main part of my job there was to input sheep movement forms onto computer, I also was required to answer the telephone & send out movement books & forms to customers.

Another part of my job was to investigate standstill breaches for cattle, sheep & pigs & to phone farmers, cattle & sheep markets & abattoirs. Also to phone Animal Health & the Rural Payments Agency for information.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the legislation & imparting it to customers.

My colleagues & management were very nice & very enjoyable to work with
Pros
Near to home
Mediocre
Higher Level Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter17 March 2016
Hard work
Unsupportive management
Good team workers
Hardest part, students un motivated
Enjoyable part, achieving good results with students.
job provider
Supply teacher (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ENG7 September 2015
In public education, although teachers are employed by Devon County Council, they have no contact with DCC directly as the school is managed by the governors and senior management.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Devon County Council
Family Practitioner (Former Employee) –  tiverton12 July 2015
Whilst working for Devon County Council, I feel that I was always supported by my managers and within my team. I used my time wisely while working for this authority and within the six year service, I took advantage of all training offered. My work involved parenting assessment within the local community and one to one intervention with families in need of support.
Pros
Flexible working hours/management of my own diary.
care home setting
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tiverton, ENG9 June 2015
i enjoy my role xon a daily basis i do pc assist clients too dress apply creams ,can administer medication bathing activities food prep bed making spend quality one too one time with individuals i like too make sure the clients have a warm safe clean and happy enviromenti have worked on my own as a team leader and within a great team the management have been supportive within all aspects updating training regular supervions the hardest part of the job is when a client passes away or deteriates with dementia often it is thier families who find it very hard too except so reassrance and kindness is needed the most enjoyable part of the job is going home knowing the clients had a nice day and too see them smile x
Pros
drinks training
Cons
paying for meals
good place to work
Mealtime assistant (Current Employee) –  Exeter, ENG2 March 2015
fun, different, good friendly staff and lovely school, rewarding to interact with the children, management is excellent, co workers are fun to work with and are always helpful. Hardest part is when children dont listen!
Pros
term time only- paid during holidays
Cons
not enough hours
productive and fun
clerical worker (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple, ENG9 December 2014
I have worked with Devon County Council for 12 years working within the learning disability service .

I have learned to work together as a team

The management have been helpful doing all the restructing of the service .

My co - workers have been helpful and have worked together well as a team .

The most enjoyable part of the job is doing all the different tasks and supporting people i find it very rewarding
Pros
It is good work and very rewarding
Cons
it hasn't been easy with all the changes in the council
Devon County Council are good to work for.
I work the role of a night care assistant (Current Employee) –  South Molton3 February 2014
Night work is very variable as working with people is always unpredictable.
New Chalenege`s arise on a dialy bases.
Management are organised and good at keeping the rest of the team informed and up to date.
Co- workers are very friendly, helpful and we work together as a strong team.
The hardest Part of my job is giving each service users time and attention.
The most enjoying part of my job is gaining satisfaction from helping people who are in need.