Derbyshire County Council Employee Reviews

Over worked
Carer ( community) (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 November 2018
Most enjoyable was meeting service users getting to no them and becoming a regular face to s/u.
Most s/u prefer regular careers as the build up trust, confidence
I think that's all gone now because there's not enough care in the community it's all time and money. Which makes me feel very sad.
And I feel a lot of carers dont get enough recognition.

The s/u should come first spend time with them get to know s/u don't rush s/u talk to them make s/u feel wanted instead of rushing. sit and have five minutes with s/u and a cuppa

Management not fun if you were asked to do extra shift and you couldn't most would get artsy with you no work life balance
Pros
Cons
All above
Great work/life balance- impossible to get rid of bad staff
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Matlock, Derbyshire31 October 2018
If you're looking for a job that's overpaid and in which you don't have to have business acumen this is the right place.

A lot of the staff here have been here for a long time, and as such are protected from redundancy or losing their jobs- irrespective of if their skills or knowledge contribute to a well-run and efficient council.

In my time here I have seen people in high-paid roles who haven't adopted modern approaches to systems or communication. The entire workforce lacks knowledge of technology and has consequently created an organised that doesn't utilise best practice and systems which are money saving. I would happily say the organisation is around 5 years behind other councils.

I have seen fixed-term employees which have demonstrated gigantic savings and proved their worth ten-fold be dismissed due to limited funding. There is a 2 year cut off for fixed terms contracts, as after this point employees need to be made permanent. So any new talent that comes in to the organisation doesn't usually stick.

Management are generally professional and offered a lot of training which makes dealing with HR matters easy. The organisation as a whole is empathetic towards sickness and has a good knowledge of mental heath in its employees. Unfortunately I have seen many examples of where this has been exploited by individuals, and overall the sickness within the organisation is exceptionally high.

Team morale within the council is good and working with departments is easy, everyone is friendly and professional (albeit a few individuals who seem to believe because
  more... they're on a higher grade they are therefore smarter and more entitled than you). The organisation is very hierarchical.

Pro's include flexi-time, good salary and pension scheme. This is a brilliant place to come to if you're retiring. Otherwise you may feel frustrated and undervalued if you bring ideas and strategic thinking. This "enterprising" council doesn't reward those from a traditional company background that focuses on ROI and measurable objectives.
Pros
Flexi-time, salary, pension
Cons
Progression, no strategic thinking
nice worlplace
Catering assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire14 October 2018
didn't learn much as what i already knew, wasn't a great atmosphere when people where in a bad mood and brought it into work. hardest part was clearing up after people in the kitchen when they should clean up what they have used before going and doing something els. management wasnt great to be honest and the most enjoyable part of it was when i had finished for the day
Pros
nothing
Cons
disorganized
good employer to work for
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  swadlincote5 October 2018
when I started, I was shown through everything that I needed to know. They were always there, should I need help or had any questions about anything. They were a wonderful employer to work for
Productive & positive environment
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Creswell19 September 2018
Derbyshire County Council is a warm, positive & productive place to work. I would highly recommend working within the council whether it's a job within a school, a care home or in the office.
fun environment
Outdoor Instructor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield4 September 2018
I was only there for two weeks on work experience whist I was in high school, but overall it was an enjoyable experience with the peter Webster centre and sporting futures
Good workplace
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield8 August 2018
Good love to work, the money was good for the hours and if it’s a job you enjoy then that’s an added bonus, hours are mainly half shifts so good for young family’s
Pros
Good workplace
Cons
Gossiping
Difficult.
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire7 July 2018
I was warned, twice before starting the position that the other cleaners were "Difficult", but I thought I could win them over. The job was ok and all the school staff were really nice. Apart from the childish behaviour from the other cleaners, the work was ok, always paid on time and a company pension, but I personally, would not work for them again. Issues, they are well aware of, need addressing, not ignoring.
Pros
pension. pay.
Cons
difficult challenging colleagues.
Apprenticeship great
Business Admin Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Matlock, Derbyshire28 June 2018
Im apprentice, the work load is really manageable but there's no guarantee of a job at the end of the line. The team is great but the work can either be lots or nothing.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
no benefits
friendly people to work with
Relief Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newhall, Derbyshire13 June 2018
I worked in the kitchen of a school, and everyone there always helped me to get to know my job role and what I needed to do. I loved my job. I helped to get the dining area ready for the children when they came in for lunch. I also got the tables put up ready and helped to serve the meals to the children as they came in
the best work place ever, NOT
Joiner (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield20 May 2018
Had the worst 4 years of my life came on as a joiner was used as labour ( just go and do thst) and due to management being top heavy there’s never enough work men for the job! This is only a job for you if you have 2 years of your working life left! And don’t want to do anything other than visit a few broken handles and drink tea! By far the most unprofessional firm going I don’t even know how there still open! Most of the men don’t care so the work they produce is terrible but they can’t see it from there house so it’s okay apparently! No communication so you can end up being sent to a job and it turning into a massive job and your there to do a repair! I just wouldn’t work for dcc all the management care about is there selfs so after 4pm you’ll not see any mangers so most of the time your unsupervised not knowing your head from your bum! So you’ll be expected to work longer hours because of no men and you will get sent to areas that you don’t live in even though there’s depots up there so you’ll be doing 80 odd mile of travel a day and getting up at 5 while someone who lives in that area is doing nothing because of the communication is poor! Just not a nice place to work it’s like being back at school with the back stabbing and things some of the blokes are 40/50 year old and carry off like women. I personally wouldn’t work for Derbyshire County Council even if it was the only job available it’s really that bad so I hope many of you reading this will take a second thought on working for council it’s not all as it seems people!!
Pros
Won’t be late getting home
Cons
Stress
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Glossop, Derbyshire13 April 2018
They were good places to work. Unfortunately i was made redundant from all the above jobs. Most of which now have long since gone. Working for DCC is a good place to work if you need cleaning products its there, you can talk to anyone and they are pleasent and helpful. They leave you to get on with the job. Unfortunately im being made redundant
Pros
Free carpark.
Cons
Not really any
Its ok
Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK14 March 2018
Working for any council is probably better after you have experienced working in the private sector first. The slow pace of council life is fine if you are not looking for excitement or career advancement. However, stay there long enough and you will do ok.
Pros
Public Holidays
Cons
Limited career advancement
social meeting new people
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  England8 March 2018
overall satisfactory to work place I love working in catering industrial .All staff members we work as a team so everything runs update in order to provide lunches of the pupils or students in the schools during the their lunch moring breaks
Pros
no lunch breaks
Business Service Assistant
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Matlock, Derbyshire1 March 2018
Working 37 hours over 07:00 to 19:00 hours enables people to fit in child minding duties, doctor and dentist appointments. Great manager and Line Leader, show respect and are able to support staff.
Pros
Work from home
Not what it used to be
Business services Officer (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire28 February 2018
When I joined the authority in 1978 it was a prestigious place to work. Unfortunately as the cuts have come in during recent years, and Single Status was introduced, fellow administrative staff and myself are having to do more for a reduced salary. People have left and are not being replaced.
A typical day at work would involve some budgetary work, liaison with the public, elected members and other bodies such as contractors..
I manage five staff, used to be ten, and the hardest part of the job is balancing workload with the limited resources that are available. The most enjoyable part being the knowledge that you had helped someone and had resolved a tricky issue.
Ok place to work
School Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Swadlincote18 February 2018
It was hard work,but we usually had a laugh , usually left to get on with your job,there was someone on site if any problems.it was rewarding,and friendly.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Hard work
Productive. Pleasant, caring atmosphere
PA to Asst Director / T P Supervisor / Legal Sect (Former Employee) –  Matlock8 February 2018
Lots of advancement opportunities and training given was very work appropriate. If you worked hard it was appreciated and rewarded. The extra training enabled me to apply for promotion and a higher salary
Pros
Flexible hours, pension scheme, understanding management
Very supportive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire5 February 2018
A typical day at work could be challenging but rewarding. I learned how to manage my time effectively. In the workplace there was a general feeling of solidarity. The hardest part of the job was learning to adapt to the ever changing circumstances. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the good results from working hard.
Pros
working with inspirational people
Cons
stress
Job Work/ Life Balance
Business Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire31 January 2018
Having the flexible working scheme helps to keep a good balance of Job Work and Life balance.

Good at developing your knowledge and skills and preparing you for work life.