Derbyshire County Council Employee Reviews

Difficult.
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire7 July 2018
I was warned, twice before starting the position that the other cleaners were "Difficult", but I thought I could win them over. The job was ok and all the school staff were really nice. Apart from the childish behaviour from the other cleaners, the work was ok, always paid on time and a company pension, but I personally, would not work for them again. Issues, they are well aware of, need addressing, not ignoring.
Pros
pension. pay.
Cons
difficult challenging colleagues.
Apprenticeship great
Business Admin Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Matlock, Derbyshire28 June 2018
Im apprentice, the work load is really manageable but there's no guarantee of a job at the end of the line. The team is great but the work can either be lots or nothing.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
no benefits
the best work place ever, NOT
Joiner (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield20 May 2018
Had the worst 4 years of my life came on as a joiner was used as labour ( just go and do thst) and due to management being top heavy there’s never enough work men for the job! This is only a job for you if you have 2 years of your working life left! And don’t want to do anything other than visit a few broken handles and drink tea! By far the most unprofessional firm going I don’t even know how there still open! Most of the men don’t care so the work they produce is terrible but they can’t see it from there house so it’s okay apparently! No communication so you can end up being sent to a job and it turning into a massive job and your there to do a repair! I just wouldn’t work for dcc all the management care about is there selfs so after 4pm you’ll not see any mangers so most of the time your unsupervised not knowing your head from your bum! So you’ll be expected to work longer hours because of no men and you will get sent to areas that you don’t live in even though there’s depots up there so you’ll be doing 80 odd mile of travel a day and getting up at 5 while someone who lives in that area is doing nothing because of the communication is poor! Just not a nice place to work it’s like being back at school with the back stabbing and things some of the blokes are 40/50 year old and carry off like women. I personally wouldn’t work for Derbyshire County Council even if it was the only job available it’s really that bad so I hope many of you reading this will take a second thought on working for council it’s not all as it seems people!!
Pros
Won’t be late getting home
Cons
Stress
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Glossop, Derbyshire13 April 2018
They were good places to work. Unfortunately i was made redundant from all the above jobs. Most of which now have long since gone. Working for DCC is a good place to work if you need cleaning products its there, you can talk to anyone and they are pleasent and helpful. They leave you to get on with the job. Unfortunately im being made redundant
Pros
Free carpark.
Cons
Not really any
Its ok
Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  UK14 March 2018
Working for any council is probably better after you have experienced working in the private sector first. The slow pace of council life is fine if you are not looking for excitement or career advancement. However, stay there long enough and you will do ok.
Pros
Public Holidays
Cons
Limited career advancement
social meeting new people
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  England8 March 2018
overall satisfactory to work place I love working in catering industrial .All staff members we work as a team so everything runs update in order to provide lunches of the pupils or students in the schools during the their lunch moring breaks
Pros
no lunch breaks
Business Service Assistant
Business Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Matlock, Derbyshire1 March 2018
Working 37 hours over 07:00 to 19:00 hours enables people to fit in child minding duties, doctor and dentist appointments. Great manager and Line Leader, show respect and are able to support staff.
Pros
Work from home
Not what it used to be
Business services Officer (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire28 February 2018
When I joined the authority in 1978 it was a prestigious place to work. Unfortunately as the cuts have come in during recent years, and Single Status was introduced, fellow administrative staff and myself are having to do more for a reduced salary. People have left and are not being replaced.
A typical day at work would involve some budgetary work, liaison with the public, elected members and other bodies such as contractors..
I manage five staff, used to be ten, and the hardest part of the job is balancing workload with the limited resources that are available. The most enjoyable part being the knowledge that you had helped someone and had resolved a tricky issue.
Ok place to work
School Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Swadlincote18 February 2018
It was hard work,but we usually had a laugh , usually left to get on with your job,there was someone on site if any problems.it was rewarding,and friendly.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Hard work
Productive. Pleasant, caring atmosphere
PA to Asst Director / T P Supervisor / Legal Sect (Former Employee) –  Matlock8 February 2018
Lots of advancement opportunities and training given was very work appropriate. If you worked hard it was appreciated and rewarded. The extra training enabled me to apply for promotion and a higher salary
Pros
Flexible hours, pension scheme, understanding management
Very supportive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire5 February 2018
A typical day at work could be challenging but rewarding. I learned how to manage my time effectively. In the workplace there was a general feeling of solidarity. The hardest part of the job was learning to adapt to the ever changing circumstances. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the good results from working hard.
Pros
working with inspirational people
Cons
stress
Job Work/ Life Balance
Business Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire31 January 2018
Having the flexible working scheme helps to keep a good balance of Job Work and Life balance.

Good at developing your knowledge and skills and preparing you for work life.
Fun worked place
Stubbin Wood- Drivers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shirebrook, Derbyshire29 January 2018
Loved working with the company but they didn't pay what they should have done would work with them again if the money was right it suited around my son it's what I liked about it
Pros
Loved working with the kids
Cons
Wasn't enough hours
Dcc
French Relief Tutor (Former Employee) –  Amber Valley, Derbyshire28 January 2018
I loved my role, as French Tutor and enjoyed working for Ashbourne Adult Education Centre but not so much at the Matlock Ritz Centre, where the staff were hostile to newcomers, due to them being made redundant.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Bad management at Matlock Centre
Fair
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northeast derbyshire26 January 2018
Worked as a carer was a happy place to work enjoyed working with the clients and felt supported by my manager lots of training included made friend with my work colleagues good to work as part of a team
Pros
Fair wage
nice and helpful staff
Dinner Lady (Former Employee) –  Cromford21 January 2018
staff at school was very nice to work with. always there if i had any problems. i joined in with discussions to do with work. the school was very handy for me. children was very polite as well and well manared
Pros
uniform and name tag
Good work company
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Borrowash, Derbyshire19 January 2018
Good work company. My job is very hard but the job it make better by working for the council. Good on contract hours. Very helpful in payroll department.
Pros
Good support
A typical council
Personal Adviser (Former Employee) –  Matlock18 January 2018
Lots of restructuring going on so poor morale in teams at the moment.
Dedicated staff that genuinely care for their clients despite working under immense pressure and under huge constraints.
Review
Specialist Support Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ripley18 January 2018
The work is varied but I feel the management structure and approach limits the impact of the service in which I work
I have no more to write here. This seems a very tedious element of using Indeed and,frankly, I've better things to be doing.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Fantastic
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Simmondley3 January 2018
I’ve worked for Derbyshire county council for the past 2 years.
we have many benefits such as free staff counciling services, holiday pay, sick pay and annual meeting to discuss work and improvements.
Pros
Holiday pay