Derby City Council

Derby City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom106 reviews
General
Its a Great company to work with especially with work life balance opportunity works great with parents with.

The only thing I don't like about DCC was the salary for apprenticeships.
Enjoyed my time here.
It been a while since I worked here, but found the client generally good to work with (schools). Management generally ok to work for. The database was reasonably easy to maintain.
Awful
If you want to feel undervalued, disrespected and worthless, help yourself. Look forward to having your soul destroyed on a daily basis and being micro managed by incompetents.
Pros
Going home at the end of a shift
Cons
Absolutely everything
Good
Great work but communication between management and staff can be short coming.
I enjoy working there all the same.

I’ll recommend to anyone interested in healthcare.
Improve fairness
Hidden discrimination which can lead to indirect discrimination. Management needs to act professional and practice equality and fairness to everyone.
Derby city council don’t bother!
Depending on where your working, all depends on how you are treated. Front line staff in children services are treated poorly. They have management that cannot manage. You are not supported by management or head of service. Staff well being is zero, it is stressful and work overload. You are unappreciated within the service and they seem to adopt a face fit concept!
Good workplace, limited by budget constraints
Good work ethic encouraged, training oppurtunities, great work life balance with flexi time and good holidays and sickness pay. When I worked there services were constantly being reduced, due to central funding.
Pros
flexi-time, good sick pay, training and oppurtunities to advance
Cons
pressure due to staff cutbacks
Enjoyable place to work
Really enjoy my job and get great job satisfaction
Supportive team

Opportunities for additional training

Great team to work along side

Hours suitable for work life balance
Perfect
They are a great company to work for, they treat you with the respect you deserve and the people there are very friendly and a good laugh. The managers are also very helpful
A good job but...
I loved my job at DCC but there was too much interference from other managers. Often they would have no experience in that area. To a point sometimes that they would undermine your expertise. It's a place where if you suck up you "do well". DCC do not like criticism but love praise. As per usual the guys at the top never lost their jobs when the council was short of money.
Pros
Great flexibility, some brilliant staff members. Loved working with clients
Cons
Middle management killing the service
Suited me, but stressfull for others.
I enjoyed my job and believe I was good at it. The management however were poor and dishonest. The whole council upper hierarchy protects its failing and flawed management over hard working ground staff.
Pros
Rate of pay
Cons
Poor management
Had better employments
Disappointed with management during this employment, Wendy and Richard - very un-supportive. Shifts at times were uncomfortable, would always be accused of standing around talking.
Very busy during summer months worked off your feet but no praise from management. Turnover of staff is high, lack of training.
Good working atmosphere. Decent conditions,pay ect.ver good & well maintained equipment.
Great bunch of lads to work with.
Working hrs fitted in well with home life.

Security of job,cut down on stress. Quite a good benefit package. Do like working as part of a team.

Was a sense of we're all working together.
Stressful, unrewarding experience
I joined a wonderful, competent and friendly team; but due to changes of higher management and then the introduction and reaction to "Austerity", the coalition between the various teams and upper corporate managment, diverged.

No longer were the hands-on employees involved in any decision making and we ended up with equipment and software that wasn't suitable for our work. The team felll apart with many leaving, disenchanted by new management and its complete lack of understanding or interest in the contribution we made to Derby.
Fake colleagues, false promises, and jobs too big for managers.
Good work life balance. Favouritism, bullying, negligent management, lack of leadership, driven by making money, and ran by snakes, with plenty of grasses to work with.

No organisational structure, management come and go and do as they please. Low morale due to staff being expected to work on false promises.
Enjoyable and interesting working environment
I worked across the libraries on a zero hours contract supporting library staff on holidays and sick leave. The work was interesting and supporting the library users very rewarding. Colleagues tended to be friendly and motivated even through challenging times of job uncertainty. I would work in the same position again.
productive and fun
it was an amazing work experience week kept me busy and i was welcomed by everyone so i felt comfortable speaking to all the staff there, they taught me how to behave in the working environment.
Good
DCC are probably as good as any council to work for though disappointed that they were 2 years late in acknowledging 25 continuous service for the authority.
Fun workplace
I've learned a lot within the council although the salary as an apprentice working for the local authority are very low.

Derby City Council are very cultural and respectful company.
Very good company
Derby city council are one of the best employers for wages training and career advancement would tell anyone to go for a job with them. Over 30 years with council in various roles never disappointed..
Pros
Training and wages
Great!
I've learned a lot during my time with DCC. Great management team. Super supportive team, that takes the time to get to know their staff. Felt really at home.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Derby City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Derby City Council Reviews by Location