Derby City Council Employee Reviews

Fun and Productive Working Environment
SEN Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derbyshire18 November 2018
Busy working day but rewarding working with children with SEN
How to act and behave around children with SEN.
Management at my current school is excellent.
The workplace culture is happy and enjoyable environment.
The job can become quiet stressful at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the great coworkers I work with as well as seeing the enjoyment n the children's faces during a lesson.
Pros
School Holidays
Cons
Pro rata contract & no career progression as a TA
false advertisment
Domestic Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire30 May 2018
told one thing given another, no respect for workers. i am not the first person they have told there is progression, a good wage and great benefits to find out you get none.
very fun job, lovely people to work with.
Catering staff (Former Employee) –  Derby12 September 2018
You have good and bad days but who doesn't? Its a lovely place to work with filled with laughter and happiness. Gets very very busy to the point your low on stock and can't do nothing about it because the delivery don't come until the next day.

Hardest part of the job was serving customers on a hot and very very busy day where customers were queuing up outside the door, and the time the que has gone down we would run out off stock.

The most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing you've done your job properly and can relax.
Pros
hour break.
Cons
no free lunch even though the prices for food are ridiculous.
fun
Business Administration Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire27 June 2018
good place to work, nice people, not great management, a lot of pressure put on lower level staff, however the team building excercises and work life balance was excellent,
Very flexible
Street cleansing driver (Current Employee) –  Derby20 August 2018
Derby city council are a very understanding workplace as I have had a lot of childcare issues and they have accommodated my situation very satisfactory, management are very considerate
Like working there staff nice
Midday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Derby11 November 2018
I love working at my work place they have help me stay in work by finding me another role in the school cause of my health i love to working with children and its help my confidence to grow
Pros
Free lunch
very good place
Occupational Therapist student (Former Employee) –  Derby3 October 2018
i did work experience here and loved it, very fun and was great experience, i got to see all areas of work and got to know staff well, i would go back in the future to this job
Excellent work life balance benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby City Centre, Derbyshire19 September 2017
Excellent work life balance benefits but a very stressful and frustrating working culture at times, mostly due to constrained resources, and unstable administration due to 3 in 4 yearly local elections.
Productive, Challenging
Community Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire2 August 2018
working as a cpo was a job that gave me many skills I am now able to use in my day to day life, I have been able to interrate with several members if the public
Lovely Staff
Adoption Clerk / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Council House19 April 2018
Lovely staff but their aren't any rewards for hard work.
There is progression if you work hard
Do not pay for extra training
Flexi time is great
Feel secure
Productive and Good work environment
Data Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Derby8 February 2018
a good work environment, along with a great work place culture. Work life balance is a big plus and a very enjoyable experience. I've learned a lot during my employment with Derby City Council.
Derby city council
Approved Shared Lives Carer (Former Employee) –  Derby3 March 2016
This work is self-employed only that is why the rate of pay is under the minimum wage.

The job does give a really good practical hands on experience of working with a range of clients in age and mental and physical issues.

Shared Lives is a national programme there is a long procedure to become an "approved shared lives carer" culminating in going before a panel to be assessed.

I would have loved to do more of this work but the wages are so poor you can't afford to do it not if you need to earn a living.

I think people must be on benefits or something to be able to do this work if it is your sole income it's not an option in my opinion.
Pros
Training Available
Work Experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire12 April 2018
During my work experience in 2008 I worked at the Citizens Advice Bureau and also at Derby City Council. During my work experience my duties included: -
Updating and maintaining a client database
Distribution of letters to clients
Maintaining file records
I also shadowed Council Officers during client appointments to gain experience of their work and dealings with clients.
It was fun!
A very productive and interesting workplace.
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Derby14 December 2017
I went here for Work Experience and the staff were very helpful, and showed me a huge insight to an everyday life working there. I learnt about the public and the problems that many faced on a day to day basis - drugs, mental health, complaints, and the environmental health of places people were living in and whether or not it was safe.

I experienced many investigations that took place, and was throughout very professional.
Pros
I learnt many things to prepare me for the future.
Cons
Long Hours
good
Business Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby4 November 2012
Busy, Productive, learning something different everday as workload is from around the business

Hardest part of the job is learning new ways of working due to everday changing agendas

enjoyable would be meeting greeting and working in part of a good forward thinking team
Pros
flexbility hours
Cons
salary pay scale / progression
Great workplace and work life balance but no progression
Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  Derbyshire14 September 2017
A typical day at work included registering clients, finding emergency accommodation etc. I learnt how to cope in a pressurised environment. Excellent management.
Pros
work life balance flexi time
Cons
short staffed and too much workload
Overall excellent
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Derby, ENG10 September 2015
I found that Derby City Council is a very productive environment and the company strives to reach their goals and they do not let any hurdles get in their way. People who working there friendly and polite.
Pros
Friendly place to work in
Cons
Less salary
Interesting
HLTA (Former Employee) –  Normanton, Derbyshire2 January 2017
Good job prospects lovely people and nice families. Good salary and reasonable holidays, buildings comfortable and easily accessible.
Pros
Prospects
Cons
Hours
Flat Liner
Civil Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Derby City Centre, Derbyshire8 December 2017
Unless your in middle/upper management level, you have no chance of progressing. Young people are bored and look to leave pretty quickly. Management are lackadaisical and struggle with man managing.
Pros
easy going
Cons
quickly become stale
My first job
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Derby9 October 2017
I would not be hear if it was not for derby city council, so I thank them , I was only a young boy back then so much to learn, and meeting different people, my job was to paint property s for the Derby city council, and you get to meet different people,
Pros
Very good work place then
Cons
You had to work hard