Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 204 reviews matching the search See all 1,042 reviews
Adviser assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Wales14 March 2019
9-5 office hours.repetitive on occasion but some variety in work schedules make up for this. Good opportunities for travel to other offices. Weekends off
Pros
weekends off
Cons
repetitive
DWP has been a victim of the government's pay freeze for the past 9 years resulting in huge numbers of staff leaving to seek work elsewhere.
Benefits Officer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City12 March 2019
Working for DWP was good when i started back in 2008 but ever since the pay freeze more staff were leaving every year. My office had over 250 members of staff in 2008 but now we have only 70.
Pros
Flexi hours
Cons
Poor pay
Dwp
Visiting Officer (Former Employee) –  London9 March 2019
I helped/advised my clients with any aspect of their benefits, whether on reception or in their homes.

Things have changed a lot since I worked for the DWP but then there were opportunities for advancement and a lot of incentives.

Obviously, we would see a lot of people with challenging behaviour but understood why most of them got upset.
Pros
Meeting all types of different people
interesting place to work
Administrator Officer (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire, luton4 March 2019
i process claims and make changes to claims for benefit, each piece of work varies in length of time to accomplish, anywhere from 5
mins to days, i have learned so much about benefits that sometimes i think my head will explode. Management are good at helping you get the answers you need. The hardest part of the job is all the politics. The most enjoyable is being able to pay people the correct amount of benefit.
good
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 January 2019
a great place to work, flexible, friendly team members enjoyable job and great employee benefits holidays flexible time off etc and many many more enjoy coming into work
Great people to work with
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Slough25 January 2019
The people I worked with were really lovely. You knew where you stood with them and there was no false people. We all had a laugh but also worked hard. I loved working here, mainly because of the people. However the salary would not pay the mortgage and there was too much red tape in my opinion when trying to stop peoples allowance due to breach of terms.
Draining
Employment and Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Chorlton22 January 2019
I worked on ESA inbound calls a prisoner to my desk. 1 hour calls listening to sick people not anyway gateway to recover to go straight onto the next sick person after years of hearing this rushing on 15 min breaks back to the chained desk it was time to leave. They never praised how empathetic, how you are a good listener and made the customer feel at ease and listened to thier worries They pick up not asking if They have a second bank account or why did u not mute it when u was typing or why did u mute it and not go back and say u don't be long, forever looking for faults horrible horrible place. They didn't care about family issues concidering who they are they do meetings to submit why you need change of hours such as finishing at 6 is not suitable circumstances have changed and no one can collect my child from after school club at 5.30 they refuse it and wonder why you leave with depression. Would not go back.
Pros
Have a job
Cons
Slave to the system
Excellent Administration, Customer Service and Telephony training
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry City Centre, West Midlands21 January 2019
A great 6 week induction training programme learning to use the required computer systems and Benefit System.

Whilst you worked daily alone on telephony duty you were team based and could rely on team members and management for help if required.

A very positive can do workplace culture.

The hardest part of the job was helping people who were terminally ill as it could be quite upsetting.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that you could help people and have a positive affect on their lives with claims to benefits helping them in times of crisis.
Pros
Constant in job training as welfare system changed
Cons
Sometimes shifts could be long whilst completing claims
Constantly Bullied, Harassed, Bias Investigation, Comforting Lies, & The Great Cover-Up By A Senior Employee!
Incapacity Benefit Reassessment (IBR LEAP) (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands15 January 2019
During my interview, after having answered the interview panels questions, in relation to the 4 Civil Service Competencies, I had a few questions of my own such as:

1. How long the training will last?

The answer was 4 weeks but the group was only given 2-week training and the standard expected was beyond reasonable and ridiculous. One of the members of Staff was quickly reading from the slides when delivering the Training for over an hour. The Module required us (The Group) to have access to our own Smartcards, but due to the highly disorganised Department, we were given a Smartcard when all of the Training was complete and were required to deliver our role ‘to the very highest standard competently and adequately’.

Also, when she was delivering the Induction, especially in relation to the Fire Alarm and & Bomb Alarm procedures to be followed when such a situation arose. She was constantly looking at me when mentioning the Bomb Alarm procedure like as if I have a tendency to commit such an act and disregarding the 8 employees who were present in the same room, who need to be informed of the same procedure if such a situation arose. Her approach should've been to inform all members of staff and not single me out like that. However, then she has the audacity to state that she has undertaken the 'unconscious bias' and recommends others to do the same.

One of the members of Staff, who was delivering the Training, did provide a great job given the circumstances she was placed in, clearly said that she hasn’t been told as to what our role requires, as she was given
  more... a short notice and couldn’t deliver the Training completely, due to the group not being given access to the necessary resources, such as a Smartcard.

Another member of Staff, who was delivering the Training, did provide an outstanding job, however, he didn’t tell us how to update the relevant system completely. It was for this reason that the Line Manager could not see the cases, which we had done. Therefore, over 100 cases had to be re-assigned and updated again correctly, so each team member was assigned 20 cases to ensure that they are updated correctly.

A third member of Staff, who was delivering the training, provided an outstanding job. He clearly said to the Team Leaders that the standard of work expected from the new starters is beyond reasonable, due to them having no prior benefits experience and expecting them to carry out their own role of Data Gatherers and simultaneously ask for evidence from customers, is the role of a Processor and not a Data Gatherer. Therefore, our sentiment was shared by him which was comforting.

2. Whether there is a Prayer Room?

I was told that that the Panel understands that ‘People of my faith and Community Perform prayers. Therefore, it’s not something I should have to worry about’.

Also, one of the members of Staff said that there are ‘like-minded individuals like yourself and prayer mats are available’.

However, this was far from the truth as there was no ‘Prayer room’ or ‘Prayer mats’ and I hardly met such ‘like-minded individuals.' I've never met such a blatant liar in my life.

Cons:

-No access was given to the relevant resources, such as Smartcards or access to the relevant systems at the start of the role, yet we were required 'to carry out our role competently and adequately'.

-Even though Bank statements were provided to the Panel, during the interview stage, we all still had Payroll issues for approximately 4 weeks.

-Constantly being observed by Team Leaders, especially when I used to go to perform my daily prayers.

-Legitimate concerns regarding bullying and harassment are brushed under the carpet.

-Members of Staff are very selective regarding whom they enforce relevant Policies, relating to Bullying, Harassment & Inappropriate Mobile Phone Usage.

Two team members had their mobile phones out at their desks. The former was making a Snapchat/Instagram video of me, whilst I was dealing with confidential information. The latter was showing me pictures of disabled members of the Royal Family, to substantiate his point regarding epilepsy arising out of close cousin marriages.

A team-leading member of staff clearly saw him with his phone being taken out at his desk. However, she came over but didn't say anything to him.

This is a clear example of Senior Members of Staff deviating from enforcing the relevant policies, which are in place to protect customer information. Management was informed but did nothing, and as usual, brushed it under the carpet.

Both Team Members have been former Civil Servants: the former was an employee at DWP Child Maintenance and the latter was an employee at the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. Both are clearly not exemplary Civil Servants.

-At the start of the role, the focus was on quality and not quantity, however, that changed and the focus was on quantity and quality was being ignored. I dealt with such cases which were completely wrong including the customer's address.

-All EO Team Leaders are from a predominant ethnicity and are female, the same applies to HEO's because everyone at that level is female, whereas the only 'Equality & Diversity' is at the AO Level, which is mainly ethnic minorities on Fixed Term Contracts. A prime example of certain roles reserved for certain types and kinds of people, therefore, structural racism.

-Treated as a number rather than a person.

-No Breaks are given when working overtime on weekends, therefore, causing strain to one's eyes and resulting in headaches.

-Private discussions, which are confidential, are disclosed to other members of staff via Skype.

-Busybody and Gossipy culture

-Conversations are always being eavesdropped by Team Leaders and Team Members

-Required to bootlick Team Leaders and Senior Employees to be acknowledged, rather than let one's work ethic and effective time management skills speak for itself.

-A Team Member was recording me secretly without my consent and placing me onto his Social Media and subjecting me to mockery and ridicule. Management was informed but decided to brush it under the carpet.

- Another Team Member was caught speaking behind my back and when confronted she lied. Thereafter, I told her to take an oath in her mother tongue, she lied under oath, stuttered and went red. Needless to say, Management was informed but decided to brush it under the carpet.

However, when I handed my resignation, she was instructed by a managerial member of staff to carry out a cynical performance, to give me the impression that 'her behaviour has changed' therefore 'the matter is being taken seriously'.

-A third Team Member was always observing me throughout the whole time. I even caught him through my peripheral vision and looked at him to let him know that I can see you constantly staring at me. He quickly looked away and fixed his eyes to his screen to give me the impression that he is working, which was far from the reality. Management was informed but decided to brush it under the carpet.

-I was constantly given dirty looks and stares by the above Team Members, due to them being unable to get information out of me regarding my private life. Also, they viewed me as a rival rather than a team member, my work ethic and many hours of flex credit was causing them 3 a great deal of concern.

-Senior Management instructed the above 3 to carry out a cynical performance of ‘changed behaviour’ when I gave my resignation, so I’m given the impression that my legitimate concerns regarding ‘Bullying and Harassment’ are being taken seriously when they have been disregarded for a month.
ok
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 December 2018
paid monthly lots of regulations to receive pay
pay was poor and very low for the amount of work that's undertaken 24 hour a day on call for family member
work life balance
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 November 2018
Professional and demanding.
However my 'boss' is helpful and supportive.

They have a flexible approach to working and are caring.

I would recommend working here, however salary's are not the most desirable.

But if you want security, understanding and flexible working then this is perfect.
Jobcentre plus
PERSONAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands23 November 2018
All the government cut backs resulted in roles becoming more demanding, job cuts across the board, but particularly for management or more senior staff meant more workload for less senior roles but no extra pay. Very target driven environment, doesn't really feel like its about helping the customer but more about hitting government targets to save the department money. Found the job very stressful at times and so did many of my colleagues.
Pros
Pension, Sick Pay, Flexi work
Cons
Mentally demanding
Excellent development opportunities
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow14 November 2018
Excellent place to work friendly and very helpful staff. Good training and development programme. Flexible working hours and plenty of overtime at weekends.Great atmosphere and surroundings to work in.Line managers very supportive and understanding and willing to help with any problems or queries.
Pros
Good canteen
Cons
Travelling to work on local transport.
flexible working hours
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradford1 November 2018
Hours were flexible so this was good for me. Other team members were really helpful and supportive both at work and outside of work. all people were very friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay, rude customers etc
The worst place I have worked in
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gants Hill, Greater London18 October 2018
The Managers are all together including Director anything that you say gets brushed under the carpet.

The targets were raised to some ridiculous which was against the SMART guidelines. The team complained and the capacity of work decreased and we were all mistreated so bad that either you got so sick they would sign you off through medical or you would leave anyway, sadly our team was a strong one than that. The work level was next to nothing that we were sent off to work for different teams. Sadly we were all made redundant, I learned that those who stayed got promoted.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Rubbish Managers, the CEO changed
Great work, if you like office work.
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Bristol15 October 2018
Overall job role is simple work at a call centre, taking inbound calls in both Welsh and English for interviews for the Department of Working Pensions and HMPO. Standard 37.5 Hrs a week, wage slightly above minimum which is great. Management is really good and very helpful.
One downside personally: Being sat at a desk for 8 hours, and not moving at all and staring at a screen, for me, is just too much of nothing, not stimulating physically or mentally. But, personal preference.
It was alright
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wirral19 September 2018
It was fairly good, obviously I thought it was boring when I was there but I was not but a child on work experience. Looking back, I would definitely do it again.
Processing benefit claims
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, England5 September 2018
I was able to improve on my administrative qualification I receive the year before. The job allowed me to increase my level of accuracy in respect to data entry.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Amount of work
Great team work and civil service benefits
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex3 September 2018
Great place to develop skills.
Fabulous civil service benefits.
Telephoney based organisation
Training and support given
Can be stressful due to the pressures of the job
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Large workloads
Great benefits
Administration officer (Former Employee) –  Nationwide27 August 2018
Always kept busy and good training provided for roles and good opportunities for progression.
Management had their favourites and sometimes this can prevent progression for those who deserve progression.
Workplace was work hard with a lot of targets being set and changes being made. Staff were usually friendly and can make some good friends from working for DWP.
Flexible working hours and a higher than average no of annual leave day’s were available and a good pension.
Helping clients was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Constant changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Our community is ready to answer.