Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Employee Reviews

Great training and regular performance reviews.
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 June 2018
Great company to work for, great training & fortnightly performance reviews. Some management are more useful than others. Work environment is okay depending on which department you work for.
Poor management.
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  london12 June 2018
poor management. Too much of politic. staff are being treated differently. I'm glad that I left that place. A lot of favourism by management. I feel sorry for some staff members that who works hard and some of them getting away with murder.
hard to stay focused all day everyday, very repetative
Pensions Officer (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran Town8 June 2018
good hours and relatively competitive salary, however struggled with doing exactly the same thing everyday and did not like the feeling of being tied to the desk
Great
Job coach (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne6 June 2018
I loved it there, I enjoyed everything about the job. I enjoyed supporting customers from all walks of life and signposting then to outside organisations for extra support. I felt I made a difference.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Stressful at times
Great Job in some aspects
Modern Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire5 June 2018
When you're working for the DWP, It's good money and good people. Problem is everyone tells you something different about how to do your job. This pretty much forces you to adapt your own work ethic even though chances are you get something wrong. They lack a solid informational structure.
Pros
Overtime, People
Cons
Misinformation
Call centre work does not agree with my mental health
Call Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Wales29 May 2018
The DWP is huge, so your experience will likely vary depending on your role or location. I very much did not enjoy the call-centre type roles there, as they relied on lots of pressurising targets and benchmarks, and thus discouraged you from actually trying to help people. There were a lot of mental health issues and high turnover in the workforce, and the management did not seem inclined to deal with any health issues sympathetically - rather making you feel alone and that it was all your fault.
Pros
Permanent role, minimal weekends and late evenings
Cons
Stressful work, low pay, bad mental health culture
productive
Call Advisor (Current Employee) –  North West26 May 2018
I like working here, Helping vunerable people make their claimes to personal independance payment. variety of work place culture.

very good variety of managers whom are all very approachable.

Hardest part of the job, is listening to vunerable situations.
Flexible working hours
Counter fraud specialist (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London20 May 2018
Conducive environment to work, on good training opportunities, good work life balance, managers treat you with respect and make you feel a valued member of the team
Great career opportunities
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton, Greater London20 May 2018
Worked my way up from clerical assistant to to executive officer.
Flexible hours and great work life balance.
Good team work ethic.
Variety of duties.
Pros
Flexible time
Varied workplace
Senior Customer Adviser (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 May 2018
Like any sector over 25 years lots of changes, some very positive - others not so.
Little progression due to recession and surplus executives - great inclusive working environment and overall good senior leadership.
Pros
Good holiday entitlement and family friendly
Cons
No progrsssion
A learning experience
Call Handler/Deputy Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dorset10 May 2018
I worked for the Department for Works and Pensions for nearly 13 years, my confidence improved massively in that time. Chances of promotion come up very rarely but there is the possibility of progression if you really want it. Working for the civil service is unlike any other job I have had and it is a real eye opener.
Pros
relative security, reasonable salary for this area
Cons
long hours, repetitive work
Csa
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside6 May 2018
Unrealistic demands put on the AO/EO staff. Lack of support from senior management. Goal post were constantly being changed. Minimal rewards for hardworking individuals.
Pros
excellent colleagues
Cons
constant changes to the goal posts.
Good job for people with families, good job security
Work Coach (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater4 May 2018
The pro's outweigh the cons when it comes to job security, flexi time, annual leave etc. however it also makes it hard to want to leave because of this, even if you want a change of job.
Pros
Flexi time, public and privilege leave, family friendly i.e. When choosing working hours, corporate discounts, civil service pension
Cons
Public sector, not much chance to work your way up unless willing to relocate
Excellent training available
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall4 May 2018
DWP is like most government departments, it offers the opportunity for a variety of training that results in discipline and a hard working ethic. It is not easy work, much of it is pressured and targets are challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with colleagues and there is a fundamental pleasure in being part of a large organisation working for the benefit of people and country. That you are doing our 'bit' to high standards. As in all Gov departments, standards and expectations are high.
Pros
Great colleagues, hard work, well done feels good.
Cons
Tedious work at times and disruptive 'change' culture
Great learning experience
Centre Manager/Personal Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex2 May 2018
working with long term unemployed to try and assist them back into work. arranging training courses. dealing with other goverment departments to assist with benefits
Administrative Office DWP
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow and Kilmarnock28 April 2018
The position of AO within DWP can, depending on what part of the department you work in be very challenging, very tedious, very stressful, in fact can be a number of different things.

Child Support for example can be very challenging, when you have two sides - a non-resident parent and a parent with care. Frequently, these two can be involved in bitter dispute with each other and anything you do to help one side is nearly always to the detriment of the other. You must remember to base your decisions on what gets the best outcome for the children involved.

DWP employment, is one where you need to be able to adapt to almost daily change in legislation and/or guidance, as well as having more than a basic grasp on IT.

The DWP is very supportive of it's employees in times of illness and/or crisis and this has been shown to me on several occasions.
Pros
Support in times of illness/crisis
Cons
Constant changes to legislation and working practices.
Not good
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater26 April 2018
Was on a Temporary contract that got extended. 5 changes of Line Manager in 2 years and began to wonder if it was me. Not much help given by Senior staff. A few violent customers.
Pros
Pension would have been good
Cons
Had to be on your guard the whole time
Target Driven and Challenging Work Environment
Modern Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire26 April 2018
I enjoyed working within the Civil Service as i gained a lot of valuable experience and faced challenging situations which kept the job fun. I learned how to follow legislation and guidelines in order to provide the best outcome for the customer. I enjoyed working with the members of staff in my sector and other sectors as they all helped me to learn processes within my job role. The hardest part of the job was the stats and ensuring you hit your target daily, also at times the work flow can be overwhelming but at the same time exciting as you take on different work and roles.
Pros
Joining groups within the business that other members of staff worked hard to create
Cons
Late night commitments
Overall a well balanced workplace.
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands23 April 2018
During my short time at DWP I received all the help and support needed to complete work. Staff assisted one another from Admin to managers.
Training provided was thorough and covered all aspects of work we were required to complete on a day to day basis.
A great place to work if you like helping people
Jobcentre Manager (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire19 April 2018
There is a great sense of satisfaction given when you help customers at a difficult time in their life, whether that be in getting them the right benefits or into work.
There is a great sense of team working in what can be a busy and stressful environment. However, it is a job that offers long term security and progression opportunities.
Pros
Job security and progression opportunities
Cons
Can be busy and stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Our community is ready to answer.