Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Employee Reviews

Structured workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire8 October 2018
Good structured workplace. Learned to work as part of a team, work independently, excellent telephone manner, excellent customer service skills. I can following instructions to carry outwork from the management when required.
Changes in policy and government played a big part in how the job changed over time.
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Nottingham4 October 2018
I was employed as an investigator for the majority of my career in DWP and would be responsible for the investigation of a case from start to finish, resulting in closure or prosecution.
All notes relating to cases was stored on computer and was subject to stringent management checks.
A variety of types of investigation was enough to keep the job challenging and interesting
Pros
Job for life
Cons
Pay rates static
It's all about the cuts
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Various4 October 2018
Government spending cuts and managers brought in from outside of the civil service are turning an excellent customer-orientated organisation into something else.

I would not recommend DWP as a place to enjoy working.
Review of position
EO (Former Employee) –  Barnsley, South Yorkshire28 September 2018
The job was good and the people working there were very pleasant. Management could be a little better but overall it was a positive working environment
Staffed by overworked but dedicated employees
PA to District Manager (Former Employee) –  Monk Bar, York26 September 2018
As with most government departments the workloads were heavy, and headcount light.

i enjoyed my years there, made great friends and learned a great deal about DWP policies, and gained experience in minute taking at interviews and government board meetings, including HM Treasury.
Pros
Great people, good management
Cons
Understaffed at all times
It was alright
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wirral19 September 2018
It was fairly good, obviously I thought it was boring when I was there but I was not but a child on work experience. Looking back, I would definitely do it again.
people good
Decision Maker (Current Employee) –  Suffolk16 September 2018
the people at the DWP are by and large brilliant but I cannot say same for senior management within this arm of Civil Service who until very recently have been reluctant to be open and honest with staff as to plans or proposals leading to poor relationships in the working environment
Pros
good people
Cons
poor management
Unrealistic targets set.
Customer services agent (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire14 September 2018
From arrival you were straight in at the deep end. Although you were entitled to an hourly comfort break, it was sometimes not possible due to the sheer volume of calls. You were moved from one role to another without being asked if you were interested.
Good job but made awful by bad managememt
Admin Officer (Current Employee) –  Cosham, Hampshire11 September 2018
Dwp in my experience over the last 15 years has got worse and worse with each year. Horrible management who try and succeed in most cases with bullying. Most colleagues same grade are amazing and have made many of friends but the job itself it rubbish and pay even worse and management of work is terrible.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Too many to list.
great team spirit very supportive team members
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birkenhead, Merseyside7 September 2018
work day started at 8.30 am until 2.30 pm inputting fit notes on system reviewing claims updating claims with new information, phoning clients if I needed to learn a new system i.e. post as the office went paperless, I was sent on a 1 day course this was standard procedure.
Pros
great team members
Cons
very busy
Processing benefit claims
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, England5 September 2018
I was able to improve on my administrative qualification I receive the year before. The job allowed me to increase my level of accuracy in respect to data entry.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Amount of work
London Work Coach
Work Coach (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
There is a lot of pressure on work coaches to go above and beyond for customers which sometimes go unnoticed by management. Some times the cases are not distributed amongst staff equally. There is training provided which is needed at the start. There is area for progression, however you need to know the right people.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Progression and pay
Great team work and civil service benefits
Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex3 September 2018
Great place to develop skills.
Fabulous civil service benefits.
Telephoney based organisation
Training and support given
Can be stressful due to the pressures of the job
Pros
Great team work
Cons
Large workloads
rewarding atmosphere
Administration assistant (Former Employee) –  Lymington30 August 2018
loved my work experience here at dwp job centre could have asked for a better management team plus i was dealing with a number of different clients day in day out so was really rewarding when you know your helping them to achieve the job search goals
Great benefits
Administration officer (Former Employee) –  Nationwide27 August 2018
Always kept busy and good training provided for roles and good opportunities for progression.
Management had their favourites and sometimes this can prevent progression for those who deserve progression.
Workplace was work hard with a lot of targets being set and changes being made. Staff were usually friendly and can make some good friends from working for DWP.
Flexible working hours and a higher than average no of annual leave day’s were available and a good pension.
Helping clients was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Constant changes
Fixed Term Contracts
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear21 August 2018
Hired on Fixed Term Contracts which were not renewed, thoroughly enjoyed the work that I done, pay level was great. Good recognition for the work that was done
Changing Outlook
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Various17 August 2018
The Department has changed greatly since I first started , and its focus as changed direction, and continues to change on an ongoing basis at closer intervals than it used too.
Pros
Sructured
Cons
Structured
Job stability
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Longbenton, Newcastle Upon Tyne17 August 2018
I did not enjoy my time here.
I did nothing but count the seconds until home time.
It was fun with the colleagues I got on with and spoke to but this place was horrendous for me.
If you are happy in an office environment answering the phone all day to the general public and want job security then this is the job for you.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Management, lack of communication, way place is run, government constraints
Stressful
Administration Officer, duties (Former Employee) –  Hartlepool11 August 2018
Dealing with customers in relation to benefits, good work life balance. hardest part not being able to sort out customers queries on the day,most enjoyable was when you could get the customer the answer they wanted.
Pros
good hours
Cons
stressful job
Apprenticeship was poorly handled
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire6 August 2018
During our 3 week initiation we was supposed to get our cards to use the system but it took an extra 2 - 3 weeks just for us to use the systems so our training was rushed. Near the end of the apprenticeship we was told there was no chance of getting the apprenticeship extended or of being taken on
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
tight deadlines with high targets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Our community is ready to answer.