Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Employee Reviews

Apprenticeship was poorly handled
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire6 August 2018
During our 3 week initiation we was supposed to get our cards to use the system but it took an extra 2 - 3 weeks just for us to use the systems so our training was rushed. Near the end of the apprenticeship we was told there was no chance of getting the apprenticeship extended or of being taken on
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
tight deadlines with high targets
Review
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester30 July 2018
demanding job
professionialism required at all times
management was always supportive
good work ethos within the workplace, respective of each other
working with diverse clientele
Pros
flexible working hours
Terrible and degrading place to work
employee (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, Dorset29 July 2018
I am appauled at the level of management within DWP weymouth. I have been subjected to bulling from both dwp staff, the management and g4s security.

It has made my life a missery and every time i see the building it make me fill with dread.

buling in the work place is unacceptable and illeagle. There is no call for this degrading behaviour.
Pros
pay
Cons
sad place to work
Fair and reasonable
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 July 2018
A fair environment, with set objectives. Work your hours go home. Great flexi benefits, great social club. Encourages charity, good work life balance. Perfect for families.
Pros
Great pension
Cons
Same job different day
When i started was a great place to work
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Hanley, Staffordshire22 July 2018
A typical day at work was doing a fortnight intervention, which means checking the clients has been looking for work in the previous fortnight to claim JSA.... if not benefit could be affected ie Housing benefit/JSA....What i learned JSA Rules and law this took along with experience......Management was firm but fair very good training when i started in 98. Lovely people to work with. The hardest part was not be able to sort problems out ie Benefits being reduced making clients be in hardship struggling to pay rent and food ...... i Loved working in other offices
Pros
Helping People
Cons
Customers with low income get affected by the change offices closing
A good volunteering experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ashford18 July 2018
Typical work days would consist of priority research projects for the collection of information about jobs, new builds and possible prospects that could be utilised by the job centre to assist their clients.
Volunteers are asked to be ready to assist clients as they walk in the door and support them when making claims, often it is the most enjoyable part of the job to talk with these people.
Workplace culture from what I saw was very open, inviting and warm most of the time. However I did experience some minor condescending talk from passing staff members for being a volunteer.
Overworked staff - and management only interested in their clique
Work Coach (Current Employee) –  Bognor Regis16 July 2018
I enjoyed it but left due to a really silly mistake without any support or understanding from management. The long term staff tired with no real changes to support them or make their jobs easier. The job is low paid and is quite scary at times again with little recognition of this by the managers. Most managers were OK but a few really rate themselves and have their own little cliques. Some of the policies in place are ridiculous but hey its the civil service!!!!
Pros
Civil Service
Cons
Hard slog and poorly paid
boring but steady work
Northampton Benefits Clerk (Former Employee) –  northampton16 July 2018
boring work, nice people and the management structure and support is ery good. If you have full contact then offers very good security and opportunity to progress.
Productive and Fun working place
Student Economist (Former Employee) –  Leeds15 July 2018
Willing to work around your personal life and the work is managed in a way that limits stress. Pay is poor however! The job is very ejoyable and there is lots of ways to progress meaning it isn't too hard to find the level which suits you. There are also lots of oportunities to change roles meaning that your job never gets boring.
Government Department
Adjudication Officer (Former Employee) –  Brighton and Hove14 July 2018
My duties were (Not exhaustively) :-

- Assessment / Adjudication & Payment of applicable State Welfare Benefits

- Debt management of Claimants' outstanding Fuel / Housing / Mortgage Arrears.

- Any additional duties (Ad-Hoc or continuous) as determined from time to time by my Line Manager.
Pros
Flexi-time office work
Productive workplace
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester6 July 2018
Working here was rewarding. The salary was good and the work life balance was honored. I had the opportunity to progress and learn a lot about my skills.
Pros
Onsite catering and fair break allowances
Cons
Long hours and highly pressured environment
Pension Service
Pensions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands4 July 2018
Elderly not receiving their money on time, this used to get to me.

In the end the hours of work didn't suit me and I had to leave work. and find something closer to home.
Good place to grow
Administration Officer and Telephoney (Former Employee) –  England Manchester4 July 2018
Very good place to work, Everyday you learn something new.
flexi time, excellent union that will always have your back .
you'll always be busy so the days go very quickly. you can voice your opinions in meetings, and you can make suggestion to help improvement, good and fare incentives where you can select your work colleagues for an award.
Pros
Its who you know that helps you climb ladders
Cons
Its who you know that helps you climb ladders
Boring
Debt Recovery Manager (Former Employee) –  Corby2 July 2018
Each day went past and I got more bored with my existance. The people are nice but the work is mind numbing. If you would like to do not a lot for ok money this is the pla e for you.
Excruciating
National Insurance Interviewing Officer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire28 June 2018
Horrible place to work. Management is homophobic racist and over all mean. I got depression because of this job how awful it was and how incompetent these people are...
It was a good place to work.
Administration Officer/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Barking25 June 2018
Dealing with clients face to face, over the phone and via emails. Interacting with clients to seek employment and also to make claims via social media. Management are only guided by higher management and following procedures, but not always looking at the bigger picture, need to speak more to the staff who work there for suggestions.Hardest part of job is dealing with distressed clients that are crying out for help. Enjoyable part is getting them the help they need and thanked for that.
Pros
Local and good pay
Cons
Dated procedures in place.
Prefer not to say
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Ashton-Under-Lyne, Greater Manchester22 June 2018
I do not wish to leave a review due to this being a previous employer and this may come back to me and cause problems in the future I do not think that this is a necessary part of the registration process.
Standard Large Public Sector
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Blackpool14 June 2018
Exactly what you'd expect from a large public sector place. Slow paced and overly process-driven. Fairly secure though.

Requires a certain public sector mindset
Great training and regular performance reviews.
ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 June 2018
Great company to work for, great training & fortnightly performance reviews. Some management are more useful than others. Work environment is okay depending on which department you work for.
Poor management.
Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  london12 June 2018
poor management. Too much of politic. staff are being treated differently. I'm glad that I left that place. A lot of favourism by management. I feel sorry for some staff members that who works hard and some of them getting away with murder.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Our community is ready to answer.