Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Employee Reviews

Found 978 reviews matching the search See all 1,004 reviews
work life balance
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 November 2018
Professional and demanding.
However my 'boss' is helpful and supportive.

They have a flexible approach to working and are caring.

I would recommend working here, however salary's are not the most desirable.

But if you want security, understanding and flexible working then this is perfect.
Jobcentre plus
PERSONAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands23 November 2018
All the government cut backs resulted in roles becoming more demanding, job cuts across the board, but particularly for management or more senior staff meant more workload for less senior roles but no extra pay. Very target driven environment, doesn't really feel like its about helping the customer but more about hitting government targets to save the department money. Found the job very stressful at times and so did many of my colleagues.
Pros
Pension, Sick Pay, Flexi work
Cons
Mentally demanding
Good engagement with stakeholders
Senior HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  London21 November 2018
Removing barriers to work, changing lives by upskilling the stakeholders. Good engagement with SME's. Teaming up with 3rd party providers. Rigidmanagr
Pros
Professional
Cons
Rigid management structure
Hard work
First Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  North East19 November 2018
You are driven to breaking point, I developed 98.5% efficiency and was asked to improve.The monitoring of your work is intrusive with calls monitored and played back during reviews.
Pros
Good office banter, by that I mean friendly.
Cons
Over managed
Excellent development opportunities
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Glasgow14 November 2018
Excellent place to work friendly and very helpful staff. Good training and development programme. Flexible working hours and plenty of overtime at weekends.Great atmosphere and surroundings to work in.Line managers very supportive and understanding and willing to help with any problems or queries.
Pros
Good canteen
Cons
Travelling to work on local transport.
Challenging place to wirk
Work Coach (Former Employee) –  Gateshead District, Tyne and Wear7 November 2018
I enjoyed working for DWP for over 15 years and the challenges I faced , I was given excellent training opportunities and the necessary tools to complete my job
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Travel to work area
Only work experience
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex1 November 2018
I was only at DWP for only a few months as work experience, but I was welcome to join in their work family. It would be a lot of different jobs, but I managed
Government Department, Civil Service work
Senior Operational Area Fraud Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  West London1 November 2018
A good work life balance, deadlines, objectives met, work focused, promotion is limited due to civil service size. However the work aligned to legislation so easy to adhere to. Leadership and management skills are well developed in the civil service
Pros
job security
Cons
low wages
flexible working hours
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Bradford1 November 2018
Hours were flexible so this was good for me. Other team members were really helpful and supportive both at work and outside of work. all people were very friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay, rude customers etc
Good worklife balance
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Balham, Greater London31 October 2018
Processing claims to required daily targets. Given opportunity to manage team in absence of Team Leader, mentoring new staff, organising training workshops. Good support from management to progress. Good team work with diversity of people supporting each other. Flexible hours.
great work place
Civil Servant (Former Employee) –  Washington30 October 2018
only left the role to go to college, the company was very fair and cared alot about the support and making sure the staff where happy within their role. constant progression opportunities
Great place for the long term
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Gloucester24 October 2018
DWP is a great place to work if you are looking for somewhere to work for a number of years as this is a secure job and you can possibly relocate if need be.
Toxic management culture both nationally and locally
Civil Servant - Customer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Telford24 October 2018
Very demanding and stressful work dealing with distressed and even suicidal claimants by phone. Toxic management culture both nationally and locally. Manipulative, dishonest, bullying and heartless management at all levels. No chance of advancement whatever your qualifications, experience and on the job performance unless you are a pet drone of the management.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
Completely toxic
Opportunities for development
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London23 October 2018
Varied day to day work.
Learned about using PowerPoint to produce aesthetically pleasing job adverts.
Very kind and supportive environment.
Relatively simple job to execute.
Opportunity to teach trainees how to do the job.
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Not challenging
nice company, have great training in there
Office Assistant and Customer Support (1week) (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft22 October 2018
i have to write something in here, i dont know what. company is good i enjoyeid to be there, everything as alright. wanted to work there but have to relocate
The worst place I have worked in
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gants Hill, Greater London18 October 2018
The Managers are all together including Director anything that you say gets brushed under the carpet.

The targets were raised to some ridiculous which was against the SMART guidelines. The team complained and the capacity of work decreased and we were all mistreated so bad that either you got so sick they would sign you off through medical or you would leave anyway, sadly our team was a strong one than that. The work level was next to nothing that we were sent off to work for different teams. Sadly we were all made redundant, I learned that those who stayed got promoted.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Rubbish Managers, the CEO changed
Typical Civil Service EO Job
EO Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands18 October 2018
9 to 5. Managing a team of 8 or 9 staff. Ensuring all targets met. Dealing with HR issues for team. Dealing with unhappy customers. Working with various computer systems and stats packages etc.
Pros
Regular income
Cons
Too much to do.
Civil Service
Civil Service Admin Officer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside17 October 2018
Long and arduous day, constantly dealing with customers via telephone, post or face to face. Busy, friendly, supportive environment with genuine sense of achievement.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Legislatative changes
Great work, if you like office work.
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Bristol15 October 2018
Overall job role is simple work at a call centre, taking inbound calls in both Welsh and English for interviews for the Department of Working Pensions and HMPO. Standard 37.5 Hrs a week, wage slightly above minimum which is great. Management is really good and very helpful.
One downside personally: Being sat at a desk for 8 hours, and not moving at all and staring at a screen, for me, is just too much of nothing, not stimulating physically or mentally. But, personal preference.
Structured workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire8 October 2018
Good structured workplace. Learned to work as part of a team, work independently, excellent telephone manner, excellent customer service skills. I can following instructions to carry outwork from the management when required.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Our community is ready to answer.