DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION

DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION Employee Reviews

United Kingdom58 reviews
fun workplace
Enjoyed the role and i was treated very well. I just struggle with the tempo and being at a desk all day. Good for flexible working and furthering your development
Slave labour
They will work you until they have no need for you, then lie to you saying they’ll support you but they won’t. They lie about expenses, make it out like it’s a benefit if you join the events team but in fact I’m over £250 out of pocket waiting for them to reimburse me what I’m owed. The process takes 6 weeks apparently, yet it’s been since February LAST year and I’m still outstanding money. They’re just bad, don’t do it
Pq team
A very friendly and fast paced team always helping one another to get the work done a great environment to work in no day is the same, some very influential topics covered.
Really interesting and varied work. Opportunity to make a real difference. Plenty of scope for personal and career development. Travel across the country and meeting people in all parts of the education sector.
Fast Paced, Productive workplace culture
As part of my role, although based in Manchester, I traveled between London and Nottingham Weekly. This enabled me to appreciate the value of working within a larger, integral team.
I worked closely with colleagues at all levels within the Department which I thoroughly enjoyed; this enabled me to develop good working relationships with my colleagues.

I managed communication between schools and the DfE and was responsible for the processing of Government loans and Grants.

Throughout my time spent at the DfE I feel I was given the opportunity to develop my existing skills as well as to learn new skills.
fantastic and fun workplace
I was always busy and the projects in the program are big but i was productive and happy working there.
As a financial analyst the hardest part was to complain with the dead line at the end of the month as sometimes the report are late and we had little time to complete the actuals but i enjoyed very much to have worked there.
Enjoyed the time I worked there
Friendly staff and a good working environment, regular contact with managers meant I was always well informed about the work of the team. Offices are relatively new so the set-up is good and spacious.
Pros
Cafe on site
Cons
No dedicated parking.
A fun and interesting place to work
The work undertaken at the Department for Education was varied and interesting. I was always challenged and CPD was always promoted and encouraged. It was fun and the culture was such that flexible working was the norm which allowed for an excellent work life balance.
Friendly workplace
This role is a public government appointment.

I sit on a panel to advice on shaping the new Tlevels Curriculum helping young make alternative career choices. My expenses get paid.
Good work life balance
Good experience overall. Very agile environment but heavy dependency on contractors. Good people, facilities, and close to train station. Can be challenging politically.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
political environment, constant change
Not a great environment to work in
There was not very much opportunity in my role for any support nor advancement. There was not much access to my manager and my manager had no involvement in my work and so it was hard to gain support on the specifics of my role.

They do not have enough support in place for work place bullying and general health and well being and put very little effort into diversity and inclusion
Team working friendly ethos
Friendly staff and Public Sector ethos on Census work (2018).

The new Darlington Offices are a collaboration with Darlington Council in the town centre (useful at lunch-times).

The office operates a clean desk policy (strictly enforced).

The staff entrance has an unusual security foyer style entrance that was frustrating for temporary workers that have to sign in to enter and need security staff to open the external door for them.
Pros
Team working
Cons
My work was only temporary in nature
Fun place nice people
Fun place nice people, little change for remote working when in an operational role.

As a contingent worker there is very little that I can add to the growth of the organisation
good place to work
great place to work, great people too.
going digital is not just rolling out tablets and need to think more about live services rather than projects in flight
Freindly and productive
Friendly environment lots to do lots to learn, great opportunity. Workplace culture included casual Friday's which was fun. Great management, most enjoyable part about this role was the research conducted.
Not enough training
Requirement is to 'just get on with the job.' A mature culture but not too friendly in a personal sense. Good work life balance. Good hard working people.
Responsive and caring to staff needs
Defined roles for all staff working towards a common goal with clear business objectives.Positive performance management reviews and recognition for staff at all levels.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Complex decisions
Good place for a short stint
Mediocre work life balance
Various advancement opportunities within the whole British Civil Service

Encouragement to attain external qualification

Poor pay

Unmatched pension
Love it
Love working here
Great staff

Job satisfaction

Career progression

Wellbeing needs met

Work life balance is great

Flexible working

Senior staff are great
Not a great place to work. Awful culture of bullying
Poor management and leadership at all levels. Everyone is overworked and unrecognised for their efforts. Senior leadership are incompetent and only seem to be focused on protecting their job security.
A lot of red tape involved here
I felt that in this place Micro management was exercised heavily here. also a lot of Red Tape with documentation and investment into old design approaches meant very little advancements in technology.
Pros
Short commute to work
Cons
no work from home available
Ask a question about working or interviewing at DEPARTMENT FOR EDUCATION. Our community is ready to answer.